Author Topic: Time to think about trading Tatum?  (Read 18555 times)

Re: Time to think about trading Tatum?
« Reply #120 on: January 04, 2020, 11:59:29 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I know this is a random aside.

One of the reasons Tatum is shooting worse on 3s than you'd expect given his shooting ability is that he takes a lot unassisted ones (the step backs and other off the dribble 3s). Those are naturally worse shots than catch and shoot 3s, but they're essential to opening up the court for the offense overall and to give Tatum better driving lanes.

Its baked into the design of the Celtics offense to have Kemba/Tatum/Marcus three of our lead ball handlers taking these shots.  I wouldn't be surprised if they wanted Gordon to take them too, but he isn't as comfortable preferring to drive into the paint most of the time. (which is working great so I have no complaints)

Celtics coaching staff occasionally talked about how they wanted Kyrie to take more threes than he did in Boston, they have had this concept pretty much since IT4 was our lead guard.

« Reply #121 on: January 05, 2020, 01:00:31 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I know this is a random aside.

One of the reasons Tatum is shooting worse on 3s than you'd expect given his shooting ability is that he takes a lot unassisted ones (the step backs and other off the dribble 3s). Those are naturally worse shots than catch and shoot 3s, but they're essential to opening up the court for the offense overall and to give Tatum better driving lanes.

Its baked into the design of the Celtics offense to have Kemba/Tatum/Marcus three of our lead ball handlers taking these shots.  I wouldn't be surprised if they wanted Gordon to take them too, but he isn't as comfortable preferring to drive into the paint most of the time. (which is working great so I have no complaints)

Celtics coaching staff occasionally talked about how they wanted Kyrie to take more threes than he did in Boston, they have had this concept pretty much since IT4 was our lead guard.
^this, TP. Another thing about Tatum shooting worse from the field overall is that his offensive load has been much heavier than the past couple of seasons (especially compared to his rookie year). He has to create shots for himself and his teammates instead of getting catch and shoot threes or straight line drives by attacking closeouts, which makes it harder for him to make shots overall. I think Tatum has made incremental improvements every season, he just doesn't look pretty right now due to taking on an offensive load that's too heavy for his skillset right now.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #122 on: January 05, 2020, 01:07:07 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Tatum has proven time and again that he hits big shots when it matters most. I’m ok with his efficiency, or la k there of, as he continues to learn what does and doesn’t work. He’s only 21. Doesn’t he also have a crazy on/off or +/-, a positive barometer of a okyer’s impact?..
His stats in the +/- family of metrics are very strong, which is massively encouraging for his potential. But such metrics are affected a lot by role and team situation: Tatum has pretty much been playing in an ideal role for a very good team for all three years of his career, he's always been tasked to play that free safety role on defence to maximise his positive defensive attributes, and up to this year hasn't been overburdened with an offensive load that's too heavy for him. These can really pump up his +/- stats and I believe we should be thinking of him as a Paul Pierce/Paul George hybrid (Pierce had excellent +/- metrics throughout his career but was never an MVP calibre player) instead of a Kobe/Durant hybrid.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #123 on: January 05, 2020, 11:53:44 AM »

Offline Billz401

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
  • B's Up
Easily top 5 young talent in the league and we have threads saying we should trade him lol. Am I in crazy town?
everyone got so sensitive after 9-11... thanks alot bin laden

« Reply #124 on: January 05, 2020, 03:00:45 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
Tatum has proven time and again that he hits big shots when it matters most. I’m ok with his efficiency, or la k there of, as he continues to learn what does and doesn’t work. He’s only 21. Doesn’t he also have a crazy on/off or +/-, a positive barometer of a okyer’s impact?..
His stats in the +/- family of metrics are very strong, which is massively encouraging for his potential. But such metrics are affected a lot by role and team situation: Tatum has pretty much been playing in an ideal role for a very good team for all three years of his career, he's always been tasked to play that free safety role on defence to maximise his positive defensive attributes, and up to this year hasn't been overburdened with an offensive load that's too heavy for him. These can really pump up his +/- stats and I believe we should be thinking of him as a Paul Pierce/Paul George hybrid (Pierce had excellent +/- metrics throughout his career but was never an MVP calibre player) instead of a Kobe/Durant hybrid.

The big step up that he’s made this year is taking more responsibility for generating offense with the ball in his hands. He’s had to contend with more doubles and blitzes and has taken on a bigger role in playmaking. This expanded responsibility has affected his efficiency - but notice that his TS% has climbed steadily as the season has progressed. As he plays his way into it, it’s predictable that he’d have to take some lumps.

And, by way of compensation, he’s been terrific on the defensive end.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #125 on: January 05, 2020, 03:46:25 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Easily top 5 young talent in the league and we have threads saying we should trade him lol. Am I in crazy town?

Nope, just the Celtics Strong forums, where everyone is to be traded.  Ultimately we take our cues from Ainge, who will trade anyone.

« Reply #126 on: January 05, 2020, 09:06:49 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868

Let's not exaggerate.  Most of the Tatum trade talk was related for trading for Anthony Davis when he was on the market.  I don't think there are too many scenarios where Tatum would be traded but of course, you can't say never.