Author Topic: All in Trade for Griffin?  (Read 10123 times)

Re: All in Trade for Griffin?
« Reply #75 on: January 06, 2020, 12:32:19 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Man. Acquiring Griffin always seemed like way too big a risk for Detroit. And here is the fallout.
I think a lot of their issues are fit (and maybe coaching).  They have a team that should pretty clearly be a playoff team the last few years (at least talent wise), yet they are very bad (and have been since they got Griffin so it isn't just his missed time this year that is the problem).  They have some real talent on that team in Griffin, Drummond, Jackson (in years past) and Rose this year, as well as some nice looking young players like Kennard and solid vets like Morris, Snell, Galloway.   

And Casey is a solid coach though maybe Stan was just better. 

It appears they do need to just hit the reset button and get what they can for Griffin, Drummond, Rose, and Jackson (who should be back soon) and just try to tank for a top pick this year (and next year) and add them to Kennard and see what happens.
Yeah build around Luke Kennard.  Good plan.   ;D

« Reply #76 on: January 06, 2020, 12:37:33 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
Man. Acquiring Griffin always seemed like way too big a risk for Detroit. And here is the fallout.
I think a lot of their issues are fit (and maybe coaching).  They have a team that should pretty clearly be a playoff team the last few years (at least talent wise), yet they are very bad (and have been since they got Griffin so it isn't just his missed time this year that is the problem).  They have some real talent on that team in Griffin, Drummond, Jackson (in years past) and Rose this year, as well as some nice looking young players like Kennard and solid vets like Morris, Snell, Galloway.   

And Casey is a solid coach though maybe Stan was just better. 

It appears they do need to just hit the reset button and get what they can for Griffin, Drummond, Rose, and Jackson (who should be back soon) and just try to tank for a top pick this year (and next year) and add them to Kennard and see what happens.
Yeah build around Luke Kennard.  Good plan.   ;D
That isn't what I said, though I do like Kennard.  I think he could be a pretty darn good player in the league.  Not a franchise guy though obviously.  They need the high draft picks the next 2 or 3 years for that.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #77 on: January 06, 2020, 12:55:38 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
They haven't had enough starter quality play at guard/wing for a long time. They've had one high quality guy at most every given year it seems.

2016-2017: Harris/KCP/Marcus Morris
Blake Trade
2017-2018: Ish Smith/Stanley Johnson led in minutes for those two slots
2018-2019: Reggie Jackson/Langston Galloway/Bruce Brown

« Reply #78 on: January 07, 2020, 03:25:41 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Likely out for season after knee surgery:

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nba/pistons/2020/01/07/detroit-pistons-knee-surgery-blake-griffin/2834521001/

In a move that was expected, the Detroit Pistons announced All-Star forward Blake Griffin underwent surgery Tuesday on the troublesome left knee that caused him to miss 18 games this season.

The release declined to give a timetable for a possible return, saying he will undergo an "extended rehabiliation" but the expectation is Griffin won't play again this season.

The Pistons medical staff has examined Griffin and the consensus was surgery was needed to deal with the problem that's been an issue since late last season.

A source tells the Free Press that Griffin, 30, was dealing with the same issues that left him hobbled near the end of last season and in the playoffs. There was soreness and loose bodies in the knee, which was surgically repaired in April.

« Reply #79 on: January 07, 2020, 03:29:16 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nba/pistons/2020/01/07/detroit-pistons-knee-surgery-blake-griffin/2834521001/

In a move that was expected, the Detroit Pistons announced All-Star forward Blake Griffin underwent surgery Tuesday on the troublesome left knee that caused him to miss 18 games this season.

The release declined to give a timetable for a possible return, saying he will undergo an "extended rehabiliation" but the expectation is Griffin won't play again this season.

The Pistons medical staff has examined Griffin and the consensus was surgery was needed to deal with the problem that's been an issue since late last season.

A source tells the Free Press that Griffin, 30, was dealing with the same issues that left him hobbled near the end of last season and in the playoffs. There was soreness and loose bodies in the knee, which was surgically repaired in April.

I mean, I just completely don't understand why he wouldn't get this surgery done in the summer. There are loose bodies. Chronic inflamation doesn't just go away with rehab if there are loose bodies.

This seriously seems like Griffin is losing interest in basketball in general. If he wanted out of Detroit, he should have gotten the surgery in the off-season, gotten healthy, and started the season strong so he could be a positive asset, or at least not a completely negative asset.

His career path is quickly following Amare Stoudamire.

« Reply #80 on: January 07, 2020, 03:30:04 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
Griffin for Wall who says no?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #81 on: January 07, 2020, 03:35:35 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

I mean, I just completely don't understand why he wouldn't get this surgery done in the summer. There are loose bodies. Chronic inflamation doesn't just go away with rehab if there are loose bodies.

This seriously seems like Griffin is losing interest in basketball in general. If he wanted out of Detroit, he should have gotten the surgery in the off-season, gotten healthy, and started the season strong so he could be a positive asset, or at least not a completely negative asset.

His career path is quickly following Amare Stoudamire.

This is what I don't understand either. Detroit pushed him through the playoffs, this should have been completed end of June at this point, 7 months later who knows where he'd be in his recovery but probably building his trade value on the court.

« Reply #82 on: January 07, 2020, 03:43:04 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Griffin for Wall who says no?
trading perpetual injury headaches?  probably a fair swap at this point talent-wise.  might actually make both franchises better though I suspect Blake helps Wash more than Wall helps Det.