Author Topic: All in Trade for Griffin?  (Read 10135 times)

Re: All in Trade for Griffin?
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2019, 08:53:51 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Terrible trade, even worse justification of it in the article
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2019, 09:01:35 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2484
Edit: wrong thread

« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2019, 09:07:14 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Rank the trade packages?

Oubre has been good this season, but not that good. Johnson is a guy, and that's about it.

Williams and MKG have been largely ineffective this season. Bacon is fine, but can you rely on him as a scorer?

Hardaway, Lee, and Brunson is a good package. Good shooter, (washed up) wing, and a young defensive (backup) point guard. I don't think the Mavs do this. They need guys who can finish, not guys who take the ball from Doncic.

Whiteside, Simmons, and a 1st is a good trade for both teams. Detroit gets a dynamic young prospect and a first.

The Celtics give up what??? Defensive All-NBA player and a fringe all-star?? Seriously?

One of these is not like the others.
I agree, if Kennard was coming back with Griffin then I think it makes a lot more sense for the C's.  I'm still not sure I'd do it, but I wouldn't immediately reject it laughing either.

I hear that, but I would add that Blake Griffin has not been very good so far this season. If we were getting Blake Griffin from last year, I'd consider it more.

19-5-3 on 42-31-80 shooting splits. I'm not sure Gordon Hayward on offense and Marcus Smart on defense isn't a better option, even at the power forward position.

Edit: And I don't think Griffin can really hold down the interior defensively.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 09:12:31 PM by DefenseWinsChamps »

« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2019, 09:14:31 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Blake Griffin?

Bleh.  Not at his salary, and definitely not if it costs anything more than some middling assets.  The proposed ideas are just silly.

« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2019, 09:23:16 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
Blake Griffin to the Celts would have made sense in 2017.

Not in 2019.

Say "NO" to trading Hayward and Smart for Griffin!
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2019, 02:47:47 PM »

Offline BigDaddy68

• Maine Celtic
  • Tommy Points: 0
Why are we seeing "rumors" of the Celtics being interested in acquiring Blake for Gordon and Marcus?  Why would we be interested in messing with a cohesive locker room and a 17-5 record to acquire someone that quite frankly would simply deplete our depth and not really provide a meaningful upgrade over what we'd be giving up? Makes no sense to me.

Re: Say "NO" to trading Hayward and Smart for Griffin!
« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2019, 02:54:09 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Why are we seeing "rumors" of the Celtics being interested in acquiring Blake for Gordon and Marcus?  Why would we be interested in messing with a cohesive locker room and a 17-5 record to acquire someone that quite frankly would simply deplete our depth and not really provide a meaningful upgrade over what we'd be giving up? Makes no sense to me.

I haven't heard or read such a rumor.

Sounds highly unlikely.

Re: Say "NO" to trading Hayward and Smart for Griffin!
« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2019, 02:54:56 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1617
  • What a Pub Should Be

I haven't heard or read such a rumor.

Sounds highly unlikely.

SportsHub spewing out trash again?  EEI?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2019, 02:57:22 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
The fadeaway world site is not very credible.

They're one of these sites (and there a few) that literally pull trades out of their A, simply for clickbait.

« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2019, 04:08:30 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
I consider Hayward for Griffin but not Smart too.  Griffin has been a pretty consistent 20'ish and 9'ish player for years.  He is only 30.  His rebounds are down this year but he plays alongside Drummond who sucks up all the rebounds.

I think add what we need most.  If we asked him to focus on rebounding and less on scoring he would be fine with that and would be a good rebounder.  Maybe he gives us 15/10.  That would be huge.  Hayward is good but redundant.  We need what Griffin can do more than what Hayward can do.

Now on the downside, he has a lot of miles and still 3 years on his contract.  Probably more injury risk with him than Hayward.  There is a sentimental or personal aspect too.  It would hurt a little to trade Hayward.

« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2019, 04:17:57 PM »

Offline CelticsPoetry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
I consider Hayward for Griffin but not Smart too.  Griffin has been a pretty consistent 20'ish and 9'ish player for years.  He is only 30.  His rebounds are down this year but he plays alongside Drummond who sucks up all the rebounds.

I think add what we need most.  If we asked him to focus on rebounding and less on scoring he would be fine with that and would be a good rebounder.  Maybe he gives us 15/10.  That would be huge.  Hayward is good but redundant.  We need what Griffin can do more than what Hayward can do.

Now on the downside, he has a lot of miles and still 3 years on his contract.  Probably more injury risk with him than Hayward.  There is a sentimental or personal aspect too.  It would hurt a little to trade Hayward.
Hayward is anuthing but redundandt. He is far and away our best and arguably only playmaker in the starting 5 and arguably on the team (Smart is the 2nd IMO). Have you seen Tatum and his tunnel vision, burping up those ugly turnarounds and awkward floaters, while shooting 40% from the field (I have nothing against turnarounds, they're beautiful, but you mist be able to hit them, like KG). Well, Hayward always looks to make the right basketball play, and he is IMO more entitled to take as many shots as Tatum, since he is shooting waaay over 50%.

In short, Hayward is anything but redundant. Hard pass.

« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2019, 04:34:25 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
Griffin does next to nothing for us. His rebounding is no better than Theis and Kanter, and he can't guard elite bigs any better than those guys can. Our opponents are outrebounding us by less than one per game, contrary to this notion that we're getting killed on the boards.

lol at giving up Hayward for him.

« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2019, 05:45:22 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Hayward is anuthing but redundandt. He is far and away our best and arguably only playmaker in the starting 5 and arguably on the team (Smart is the 2nd IMO). Have you seen Tatum and his tunnel vision, burping up those ugly turnarounds and awkward floaters, while shooting 40% from the field (I have nothing against turnarounds, they're beautiful, but you mist be able to hit them, like KG). Well, Hayward always looks to make the right basketball play, and he is IMO more entitled to take as many shots as Tatum, since he is shooting waaay over 50%.

Yeah, I'm pretty sick of the "Hayward is redundant because he's a wing" attitude. He's comfortably our most efficient wing, our best playmaker and gives us great switching ability. Griffin is not the answer
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2019, 05:46:04 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868

Hayward is our only playmaker?  Boy, I don't see it that way, arguably or otherwise.  And FWIW, Griffin has a career average of 4.4 Assists per game and Hayward 3.4.  I know that a singular stat does not tell the whole story but I do not buy that lack of play-making would be an issue if we traded Hayward to bring in Griffin. 

I am not saying that Hayward is not a play maker in his own right, just that positionally, we have way more play making at the guard/wing right now than we do at the big.  We would have far more play making from the front court with Griffin and Smart, Brown, Tatum, and Walker would provide ample play making from the back court/wing even without Hayward.

That to me is the whole point.  Hayward gives us more of what we already have, Griffin gives us a play-making big, something we don't have.  No one WANTS to trade Hayward, for a number of reasons, but Griffin would be a nice add.

« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2019, 07:51:59 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 732
I wouldn't trade Hayward straight up for Griffin right now let alone throw in Smart.

I think Hayward unlocks the Celtics offensive potential so much more then Griffin and the loss in terms of defense losing both Smart and Hayward....

Seems like a trade that moves the Celtics needle the wrong way.

Right on all points.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce