Author Topic: CB Draft 2011 Southeast Divison Press Conferences  (Read 28345 times)

Re: CB Draft 2011 Southeast Divison Press Conferences
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2011, 05:34:14 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
Orlando, can you please put your team name in your sig and refer to your team by it's name more frequently when discussing it?  The word "Orlando" doesn't appear at all in your entire presser and "Magic" appears only once twice.  I constantly refer to you as "CP3 team" and I have actually never known what team you were until just now.  Although I bet writing this post will ingrain it into my mind, it might help other GMs.

Thanks!

Just for you Buddy!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 06:21:06 PM by TheTruthFot18 »
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2011, 05:56:41 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Truth Juice
My first post was just a blurb from another thread so I’d have something up today, but I’m home now and I’ll finish it up AND get to your questions afterwards.

Some of the big points I already hit in that first blurb on the first page.

Drafting Philosophy:

Coming into the draft, I wasn’t sure how this league was going to be run and I’ll say my idea of what was going during my first pick is completely different then right now. I’m still new to this so it wasn’t a bad first time. Since I was not present for my first pick (Chris Paul) I took what I was given and ran with it. I picked Al Jefferson with my next pick hoping to give CP3 a good big man to work with. From there I drafted on the position needed and BPA. I ended up dealing Big Al and Jason Terry for Jason Richardson, Michael Beasley, and Brandon Bass. This trade started my idea of a more fast paced team with Paul as the general surrounded by good scorers.

My toughest decision was the trades I made and did not make. I was close to dealing Paul multiple times and backed out at the last second. I knew in the beginning I would never trade him but I was tempted.

Best/Worst Move:

My Best move was trading Big Al and Jason Terry for Jason Richardson, Beasley, and Brandon Bass. Got rid of Big Al in exchange for Bass and Beasley.

Worst move was drafting Big Al. Their were a lot of good options still there in the late second round, and drafting him ended up really hurting my future picks and my roster as a whole.

A lot of people on here are still hating on my team, that’s fine, especially since you aren’t surprising me with any of your criticisms. As I said, before this team is built around Paul to not only score himself but assist on buckets by his high scoring teammates. And while defense is an issue, I can see some similarity to the Magic of 2008-2009 who went to the finals. A high scoring team led by Stan the Man who was average on defense. Aside from Howard, they didn’t have a starter who stood out on defense (Nelson, Lee, Turk, Lewis) and still managed to beat the Celtics (w/o KG in 7) and Lebron and Co. Now they did get stomped in the finals, but I’m not saying were going to win a title. I’m trying to show how a team that is not built on solid defense can still win.

Any more questions let me know.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2011, 05:56:47 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I feel this division is being ignored.

Please ask tough questions,

(or dumb ones.)

« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2011, 05:59:29 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Bahku (South Beach):

Why is your team significantly better than the "real" NJ Nets?

Carmelo Anthony, (JJ Hickson, Jimmer Fredette, Evan Turner, Francisco Garcia, Jerryd Bayless, Daniel Gibson, Klay Thompson, Tristan Thompson, Keith Benson).
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2011, 05:59:47 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Truth Juice
I forgot who said this (from CB) but thanks if you see this:

Again, the NBA has been littered with all-star like teams the kind folks have built here in the CB draft. What's usually missing is a leader, someone who can impart "The Secret" as Simmons puts it; Who's the extension of the coach on the floor, who's the one demonstrating/living... EMBODYING the Ubuntu a team needs to win it all. Too often in real life and in CBD these "intangibles" are overlooked, dismissed, etc.

Of the teams that fit this mold, I think the Magic are the ones who can actually pull this off with a leader in Chris Paul. I honestly think this gives the Magic a higher standing based on his proven leadership and winning record.

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Truth Juice
Orlando:

Currently, I have you out of the playoffs.  My standings look like this:

7.  New Jersey
8.  Boston
9.  Orlando
10a. Miami (South Beach)
10b. Detroit

Question:  Why should you jump over Boston and/or New Jersey, and why will you hold off Detroit and Miami?

Lastly, how is your front line going to compete, both offensively and defensively?  From an outside perspective, you might have the worst offensive bigs in the CB-NBA, and defensively McGee is very poor in terms of fundamentals, while Bass is nothing better than solid.  Can your team handle squads with better big combos?

Also, Chris Paul has gone from a 23/11/6/50% guy, to a 16/10/4/46% guy.  What will his production look like next year?  Have injuries sapped away some of his game?  

First off you have Edgars team in the top six which shocks me, but to each his own I guess.

Their is no problem with my front line offensively. I'm really not worried about that. I defense is 1.offset my the offense and 2. fixed with rotations of Bass/Birdman fro defense and Beasley/McGee/Wilcox for offense , although it will more likely be a combination of those players. Worst offensive bigs? Perhaps the starters but I'll manage thanks.

I don't know what the problem is with Paul's production decrease. He was coming off an injury and it showed, but when the playoffs came he put it all down and had probably the best first round performance. I wish I could honestly say he will get better but just based on the playoff performance he showed us, I would expect nothing less this upcoming season.

As for the playoff spot, once again I dont understand your ranking with NJ at 7. But BOS imploded with those trades from earlier and I think they lost a lot of talent and just settled.

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
But BOS imploded with those trades from earlier and I think they lost a lot of talent and just settled.

This is your opinion and that's fine, but you didn't explain why you're going to win more regular season games than Boston especially when you only have one clearly better player in your starting 5. Really the only thing I take umbrage with is the notion that i just "settled".

« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2011, 06:11:46 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Truth Juice
Question for the Magic:

How do you think Corey Maggette works next to CP3? Any thought to having Barnes start?

Corey Maggette is not LeBron or Wade (even if he thinks he is) but i mean it in terms of he won't be demanding the ball or running plays for Orlando if he's playing with CP3. I think he'll love playing with a true PG who can set him up with the shots he wants. Him and JRich will be set up a lot.

I have thought of it but I already did this same thing with Beasley and Bass. If I did it at SF I would have too much defense on the starters and too much offense off the bench. Plus Barnes and Maggette is their current roles is what they are used to, so better not to really mess with that.  

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Truth Juice
But BOS imploded with those trades from earlier and I think they lost a lot of talent and just settled.

This is your opinion and that's fine, but you didn't explain why you're going to win more regular season games than Boston especially when you only have one clearly better player in your starting 5. Really the only thing I take umbrage with is the notion that i just "settled".

Ok

You said yourself you'll take the flak for the trade and here it is. You shipped Deng and Duncan for Horford and West (other pieces I forget) then shipped west for turk and someone (?). As I posted before and someones quote that a lot of teams here are stacked yet lack that "secret" or a real leader who can ignite his team and rise him and the team above the rest. I don;t see anyone on your team that has that quality and I have Chris Paul. I wouldn;t put much faith in Horford as the centerpiece leader and definitely not Hedo.

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830

Ok

You said yourself you'll take the flak for the trade and here it is. You shipped Deng and Duncan for Horford and West (other pieces I forget) then shipped west for turk and someone (?). As I posted before and someones quote that a lot of teams here are stacked yet lack that "secret" or a real leader who can ignite his team and rise him and the team above the rest. I don;t see anyone on your team that has that quality and I have Chris Paul. I wouldn;t put much faith in Horford as the centerpiece leader and definitely not Hedo.

The other piece was Jameer Nelson. I shipped West and Henderson  for Hedo and CJ Watson. Believe me when I tell you, and Lucky, IP and Champ can back me up on this, I didn't just settle, I worked the phones hard and that's what was out there.

I agree that there are a number of stacked teams here and the difference between them is who can lead them. However, yours is not one of those stacked teams. It's exceptionally limited both defensively and offensively in the frontcourt. Your SF is a malcontent who has never been the 2nd option on a good team. And your 6th man puts up above average numbers on a terrible team  Chris Paul is a great player and has performed well with limited talent, but this would be one of the worst teams he's ever been on in a more stacked league.

« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2011, 06:44:49 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
My Eastern Standings are:

1) Pacers
2) Phily
3) NY
4) Bulls
5) Nets
6) Miami
7) Washington
8) Orlando
9) Detroit - More talent then Boston but no consistent game changer
10) Boston - No go to guy
11) Milwaukee - No true PG
12) Atlanta - Not enough talent

Orlando
pg: CP3
sg: Jason Richardson
sf: Corey Maggette
pf: Brandon Bass
c: JaVale McGee

Miami
C  - B Lopez
PF - JJ Hickson
SF - C Anthony
SG - E Turner
PG - D Harris

Washington
PG Raymond Felton
SG Landry Fields
SF Danny Granger
PF Lamarcus Aldridge
C Marcin Gortat.  

These are the three teams I really see competing for the 6th, 7th, and 8th spots in the East.

My reasoning is that Orlando has the best PG and SG of the three but the worst SF, PF, and C of the three. CP3 gives them the edge though to get into the playoffs. Washington I see having the Worst PG and SG of the three, having the second best SF and C, and best PF of the 3. I think Miami has the second best PG, SG, and PF of the three, as well as the best SF and C of the these three. I am a fan of Karl as coach also. I think this order could be changed but I like these teams more then the four I left out. It was hard to leave out Detroit but when I see how they match up with Miami, Washington, and Orlando I just don't think they have enough. I like Horford but I don't think he can be the best player on a playoff team. I think Milwaukee will have chemistry woes with all those scorers and no true pg. Atlanta simply lacks talent.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2011, 07:17:00 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
My Eastern Standings are:

1) Pacers
2) Phily
3) NY
4) Bulls
5) Nets
6) Miami
7) Washington
8) Orlando
9) Detroit - More talent then Boston but no consistent game changer
10) Boston - No go to guy
11) Milwaukee - No true PG
12) Atlanta - Not enough talent

Orlando
pg: CP3
sg: Jason Richardson
sf: Corey Maggette
pf: Brandon Bass
c: JaVale McGee

Miami
C  - B Lopez
PF - JJ Hickson
SF - C Anthony
SG - E Turner
PG - D Harris

Washington
PG Raymond Felton
SG Landry Fields
SF Danny Granger
PF Lamarcus Aldridge
C Marcin Gortat.  

These are the three teams I really see competing for the 6th, 7th, and 8th spots in the East.

My reasoning is that Orlando has the best PG and SG of the three but the worst SF, PF, and C of the three. CP3 gives them the edge though to get into the playoffs. Washington I see having the Worst PG and SG of the three, having the second best SF and C, and best PF of the 3. I think Miami has the second best PG, SG, and PF of the three, as well as the best SF and C of the these three. I am a fan of Karl as coach also. I think this order could be changed but I like these teams more then the four I left out. It was hard to leave out Detroit but when I see how they match up with Miami, Washington, and Orlando I just don't think they have enough. I like Horford but I don't think he can be the best player on a playoff team. I think Milwaukee will have chemistry woes with all those scorers and no true pg. Atlanta simply lacks talent.

How come Atlanta has no talent. A top 5 scorer in the league, two solid scorers in the 3 and 4 and a low post threat. Athletic playmaker, a hustle play center and a offensively gifted big man off the bench. I'd say they have talent.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2011, 07:19:05 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
He didn't say no talent, just not enough talent.

« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2011, 07:21:47 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

oh okay.

How come not enough talent? A top 5 scorer, solid scorers/defenders in the 3 and 4 and a low post threat. A playmaker slashing athletic wing, a hustle rebounder and an offensively gifted big man off the bench. Id say there is quite enough talent to not be last place.

« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2011, 07:23:11 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

oh okay.

How come not enough talent? A top 5 scorer, solid scorers/defenders in the 3 and 4 and a low post threat. A playmaker slashing athletic wing, a hustle rebounder and an offensively gifted big man off the bench. As well as a good decision maker and a good shooter. Id say there is quite enough talent to not be last place.