Author Topic: Force Awakens. (Possible spoilers)  (Read 46983 times)

Re: Force Awakens. (Possible spoilers)
« Reply #135 on: December 24, 2015, 05:17:31 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
The troopers in the Clone Wars were clones.   The stormtroopers in the original trilogy aren't clones.
The Stormtroopers in the original trilogy certainly include the clones from the Clone Wars, but you're right that there are other Stormtroopers at that point, too.

Not to get all hyper-nerd on you, but no, the clone troopers are all out of service by the original movie.  Mainly because the rapid aging that let the army be raised so quickly made them all too old to fight within a couple decades.

...please don't make me post a Wookiepedia link to support this.   :-\
I'm not going to outnerd anyone on SW (I'm more of a LOTR guy), but wasn't that an expanded universe factoid?

I'm pretty sure the current Rebels CGI cartoon is considered official and it was primarily from there. 

...btw, not a bad show overall, definitely for a younger audience but not all that "kiddie".  Some likable characters and interesting plots.

They've actually done a pretty solid job filling in some gaps from Revenge of the Sith to New Hope. 

It's definitely not that "kiddie" based on some of the plotlines and stuff going.

Also, the expanded universe stuff pretty much got chucked out the window when Disney took over and, basically, Disney is stamping what is canon outside the 7 films.  The "Rebels" cartoon is canon.

Although, you can certainly see some concepts from EU novels being used.

The EU was entirely thrown out, I think with the exception of the Clone Wars CGI cartoon (even the cool shorts by the guy who did Dexter's Laboratory are out). 

Which is a shame, because now the canon loses priceless characters and moments like this:

« Reply #136 on: December 25, 2015, 10:36:36 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
saw the movie today.  my thoughts.

- big ripoff of IV.  it's like each trilogy starts off with Major Bad guy no one wants to face, The Enemy has an unbeatable weapon that the rebels end up beating, A young protege/apprentice arises to take on the bad guy AND the older mentor dies at the hands of the Major Bad Guy.
- hated that they killed Han but it was being telegraphed for a good part of the movie.
- Like the new characters - particularly Rey.  Not digging Ren's weakness though.  Also not keen on Rey's sudden aptitude in the force. 
-seemed pretty obvious as soon as Rey was interacting with BB8 that she was Luke's daughter.  Not sure who Luke would have had a kid with but I'm sure they'll explain it.  I can't see her being Han and Leia's daughter but that would be the only other option.

overall, I liked the movie a lot.  The overwhelming similarities to New Hope make me dread the potential predictability of the next 2 movies.

« Reply #137 on: December 25, 2015, 11:20:54 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I can finally read thru this thread.

But I might need a couple of hours before I do, I need to mourn a icon.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #138 on: December 27, 2015, 01:41:07 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I saw the movie and thought it was great for a new generation. If you ignore the similarities to episode 4 it's a really good movie. I really felt it could not have been better as all the new characters shined. Rey and Poe are a little OP so I expect Finn will some how be the one to defeat the new Sith Lord in the end.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 01:52:38 PM by Csfan1984 »

« Reply #139 on: December 27, 2015, 09:50:10 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
-very good, but not great

-looking forward to see where it goes

-liked rey and looking forward to her story

-loved the character maz kanata

-having the old cast really helped bring the saga to the new storyline
liked kylo ren in the beginning, then was let down. star wars villains always had that appeal that you liked them, even if you hated them. i don't have that feeling with ren (or snoke) right now

-hated that ren was "ben solo" and not jacen solo.  also using ben from ben skywalker

-was hoping we would see thrawn

-HAN SOLO'S DEATH......Hated how he died.  as a kid, you always envisioned he would die in a blaze of glory, not all emotional

« Reply #140 on: December 27, 2015, 10:12:06 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
What was the hot shot pilot's significance?  Beyond the greatest guy in the universe and a heck of a fine pilot.  He's gotta be someone's something, right?  Did I miss that?
Yup

« Reply #141 on: December 27, 2015, 10:15:51 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
What was the hot shot pilot's significance?  Beyond the greatest guy in the universe and a heck of a fine pilot.  He's gotta be someone's something, right?  Did I miss that?
is he related to Wedge somehow?

Not sure
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #142 on: December 27, 2015, 10:22:00 PM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93
Honestly he was probably supposed to be this movie's version of Han Solo in the original trilogy.

Practically someone needed to run away with Fin. It would've been better if he just died in the crash. Would've given Fin some more emotional depth throughout the trilogy I think. Not to mention I hate when the protagonists are all invincible in these movies.
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

« Reply #143 on: December 27, 2015, 10:38:20 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Honestly he was probably supposed to be this movie's version of Han Solo in the original trilogy.

Practically someone needed to run away with Fin. It would've been better if he just died in the crash. Would've given Fin some more emotional depth throughout the trilogy I think. Not to mention I hate when the protagonists are all invincible in these movies.
I'm pretty sure Han's death in this one showed the protagonists aren't invincible. 

« Reply #144 on: December 27, 2015, 10:44:12 PM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93
I'm pretty sure Han's death in this one showed the protagonists aren't invincible.
He was old though and his story is told already. I didn't feel very vulnerable watching this movie.
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

« Reply #145 on: December 27, 2015, 10:46:47 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
He was old though and his story is told already. I didn't feel very vulnerable watching this movie.
too early to feel vulnerable but then again, you know the formula.  other than maybe the anticipation of losing a body part (watch for it next movie -- either Fin or Rey lose a hand I'll bet -- like Anakin in II and Luke in V) you know the heroes will live.

« Reply #146 on: December 27, 2015, 11:17:27 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

Poe wasn't even suppose to make it threw the interrogation, but the actor didn't want to sign on just for a few moments. Good call career wise, plus he would have been pointless in that opening scene.

I have a feeling Poe and Finn will be hunted by Capt Phasma in the next movie, Poe and Phasma were barely in it and they were hyped a ton.

« Reply #147 on: December 27, 2015, 11:38:10 PM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40

Poe wasn't even suppose to make it threw the interrogation, but the actor didn't want to sign on just for a few moments. Good call career wise, plus he would have been pointless in that opening scene.

I have a feeling Poe and Finn will be hunted by Capt Phasma in the next movie, Poe and Phasma were barely in it and they were hyped a ton.

Didnt really see the point of capt phasma
looked like a rip off version of boba fett but with a cape and female (i think)

« Reply #148 on: December 28, 2015, 04:06:12 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Possible spoilers/My Personal theories ie guesses so far,
-Poe is a former beginner student of Luke, he is a high force sensitive. Which explains his ,OP fighter pilot skills and why he was given the mission.
-Rey also has some training from birth to be a jedi from Luke but she has obviously repressed those early memories. (Or maybe Luke wiped her mind of them) Being trained very young then repressing the memories would explains how she starts to use the force quickly. We see in episode 1 they start training very young.
-Finn is force sensitive which is how he did not conform/fall to the stormtrooper brainwashing. Also maybe all the new class of stormtroopers are similar to Halo spartan program. Elite Gen pool kids stole then trained. Many could be force sensitive?
-Ren was not given full training due to not committing completely to the dark side. With his father now dead he will receive full training to become a true sith and 2x as strong. Thus First Order comes out on top in episode 8.

« Reply #149 on: December 28, 2015, 04:49:31 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
saw the movie today.  my thoughts.

- big ripoff of IV.  it's like each trilogy starts off with Major Bad guy no one wants to face, The Enemy has an unbeatable weapon that the rebels end up beating, A young protege/apprentice arises to take on the bad guy AND the older mentor dies at the hands of the Major Bad Guy.
- hated that they killed Han but it was being telegraphed for a good part of the movie.
- Like the new characters - particularly Rey.  Not digging Ren's weakness though.  Also not keen on Rey's sudden aptitude in the force. 
-seemed pretty obvious as soon as Rey was interacting with BB8 that she was Luke's daughter.  Not sure who Luke would have had a kid with but I'm sure they'll explain it.  I can't see her being Han and Leia's daughter but that would be the only other option.

overall, I liked the movie a lot.  The overwhelming similarities to New Hope make me dread the potential predictability of the next 2 movies.

Most reports about this new trilogy before Force Awakens came out said that the lines between good and evil would be totally blurred in this trilogy, so I expect that it was set up to look a lot like Episode IV to make us think the next two will go the same way but things will take some major plot swings. For one, I think Kylo Ren is already working for the light side imo.