Author Topic: Force Awakens. (Possible spoilers)  (Read 46946 times)

Re: Force Awakens. (Possible spoilers)
« Reply #90 on: December 22, 2015, 12:15:16 AM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
BeatLA, you try to be the most transparent person possible on the internet. I think that's not as fun as leaving ambiguity, but TP for your valiant cause. (I won't comment about the whole exchange that just took place.)

LarBrd, we share a love for movies (and it seems like we have similar taste)! TP to you as well. Thank you for the bolded spoiler warnings. I hope to see the new Star Wars this Xmas week with the family, and I'll hopefully be able to contribute to (and read more than half) of this thread then.

EDIT: I will admit to being a prequel fan, but I only liked Revenge of the Sith by itself. Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones were just too slow-moving for me. Revenge of the Sith was a visual delight to watch, and when I look back on the entire prequel trilogy, I get a lot more from overarching personal reflection than the individually-tailored movie breakdowns.

Lol, I'm just trying to eliminate the possibility of having ugly misunderstandings.  Btw, I saw what you wrote about the 'infamous' Leia costume and I wholeheartedly agree, probably bc we're of the same demographic, bc it did absolutely nothing for me, lol :laugh:, so TP for you too :).

I'm not really sure what you're referring to, but thanks (I think)!

« Reply #91 on: December 22, 2015, 12:16:29 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
If some of you are unfamiliar with "Star Wars", the first movie left MANY questions that were later revealed in the story.

No, it didn't.  There weren't a lot of questions left unanswered in the first movie because neither Lucas nor the studio had the slightest idea of how successful it would be.  The identity of Luke's father isn't a mystery.  The identity of the Emperor isn't a mystery.  Obi-wan becoming Luke's guiding spirit isn't a mystery.  I would think how quickly and thoroughly all the sequels contradicted or deviated from what was established in the first movie is a fairly undeniable sign that most of this stuff was made up as they went along.

Mike

« Reply #92 on: December 22, 2015, 12:21:29 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
BeatLA, you try to be the most transparent person possible on the internet. I think that's not as fun as leaving ambiguity, but TP for your valiant cause. (I won't comment about the whole exchange that just took place.)

LarBrd, we share a love for movies (and it seems like we have similar taste)! TP to you as well. Thank you for the bolded spoiler warnings. I hope to see the new Star Wars this Xmas week with the family, and I'll hopefully be able to contribute to (and read more than half) of this thread then.

EDIT: I will admit to being a prequel fan, but I only liked Revenge of the Sith by itself. Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones were just too slow-moving for me. Revenge of the Sith was a visual delight to watch, and when I look back on the entire prequel trilogy, I get a lot more from overarching personal reflection than the individually-tailored movie breakdowns.

Lol, I'm just trying to eliminate the possibility of having ugly misunderstandings.  Btw, I saw what you wrote about the 'infamous' Leia costume and I wholeheartedly agree, probably bc we're of the same demographic, bc it did absolutely nothing for me, lol :laugh:, so TP for you too :).

I'm not really sure what you're referring to, but thanks (I think)!

Brb :laugh:.

Edit: And now we know why you weren't familiar with it - bc you didn't write it, lol.  I somehow got you confused with TheTruthFot18 *face palm*.  Wow.  Oh well, I gave him a TP anyway :laugh:.

At any rate, this is what I was talking about.

I'd wager that she's taken full advantage of the fame that came her way, and I'd guess she's happier with the way things turned out than she'd have been if she hadn't taken advantage of her looks to be even considered for that role.

OK, fine, even if all of that is true ... can you blame her for being bitter that the space bikini is maybe the most enduring scene of that movie for a lot of people?

I don't understand why it's so important to you to push against that.  So women in Hollywood get ahead, or not, because of their looks.  The ones that benefit from that can't resent the fact that they're evaluated based on how attractive they are?

Maybe as a "millennial" or someone who grew up in the internet age and having seen all the movies, the outfit only stands out because it's talked about so much. When I watched the movie growing up I was more focused on the giant slug and frozen Han, but that's just me.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 12:31:24 AM by Beat LA »

« Reply #93 on: December 22, 2015, 12:36:39 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
If some of you are unfamiliar with "Star Wars", the first movie left MANY questions that were later revealed in the story.

No, it didn't.  There weren't a lot of questions left unanswered in the first movie because neither Lucas nor the studio had the slightest idea of how successful it would be.  The identity of Luke's father isn't a mystery.  The identity of the Emperor isn't a mystery.  Obi-wan becoming Luke's guiding spirit isn't a mystery.  I would think how quickly and thoroughly all the sequels contradicted or deviated from what was established in the first movie is a fairly undeniable sign that most of this stuff was made up as they went along.
k... whatev

Like I said, when the first movie came out there was a popular theory that R2D2 was Luke's father.   

Kinda fun that there's a lot about this new story we don't know yet.  Will be fun to find out.  Look if some of you guys didn't like it, so be it.  Star Wars isn't for everyone.  Had you seen the originals for the first time as a jaded adult, you probably would have thought they were pretty silly.  I think some people don't recognize why they liked the originals in the first place.   For what Star Wars is, I like them... and the new movie is pure Star Wars. 

« Reply #94 on: December 22, 2015, 12:40:12 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Mike

I agree with two of those, because they were more world details at that point, but Luke's father and his connection to Vader were brought up several times in the first movie and left unanswered. 

It was left as a mystery, and they'd have to be pretty incompetent for it to have been unintentional.  They might've changed the answer as they wrote Empire but his parentage was definitely made prominent and left hanging.

« Reply #95 on: December 22, 2015, 01:11:06 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker

k... whatev

Like I said, when the first movie came out there was a popular theory that R2D2 was Luke's father.   

It was not a popular theory.  It was wild speculation by some people in fanzines which had tiny readerships.  I'm old enough to have seen Star Wars in the theatre when it first ran and neither I nor 99.99999999% of the people who watched and loved the movie ever heard of this "popular" theory.

Mike

« Reply #96 on: December 22, 2015, 01:13:22 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker

Mike

I agree with two of those, because they were more world details at that point, but Luke's father and his connection to Vader were brought up several times in the first movie and left unanswered. 

It was left as a mystery, and they'd have to be pretty incompetent for it to have been unintentional.  They might've changed the answer as they wrote Empire but his parentage was definitely made prominent and left hanging.

The answer is that Luke's father was a great pilot who trained to be a Jedi, only to be killed by fellow trainee Darth Vader.  There really wasn't anything more to it than that.

Mike

« Reply #97 on: December 22, 2015, 01:14:49 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

k... whatev

It was not a popular theory.  It was wild speculation by some people in fanzines which had tiny readerships.  I'm old enough to have seen Star Wars in the theatre when it first ran and neither I nor 99.99999999% of the people who watched and loved the movie ever heard of this "popular" theory.

Mike
How do you know if 99% of people were unaware of this popular theory unless you yourself were familiar with that popular theory?  Maybe it was more popular in the UK since they had over a decade of Daleks at that point so the idea of R2D2 being the brain of Luke's destroyed Jedi father in a cyborg body wasn't too far fetched.  Plus R2D2 was present any time the force was used... You can see how everyone came to that conclusion.

Anyways... What are we even talking about at this point ?  You didn't like the movie ?  That's a shame.  You ever seen "Hook"?  You know how Robin Williams acts before he remembers he is Peter Pan?   That's how it must feel to hate the new Star Wars movie... Unable to tap into the magic of your childhood and love it for what it is.  I mostly feel bad for anyone who wasn't thrilled with it.  Everyone I went with loved it.  It's all anyone has been talking about.   I couldn't stop smiling.  I got chills multiple times.  It fully delivered.  JJ nailed it.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 01:20:02 AM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #98 on: December 22, 2015, 07:08:55 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
I thought it was...ok, roughly on the level of Ep III.

As others have already said, I didn't like that it was basically a re-imagining of Ep IV. I mean, another planet-destroying weapon? Really? C'mon JJ, you're better than that. Stop playing it safe, and be a bit more daring.

Absolutely hated the Finn character, though. So bland, so pointless. The actor was also terrible (as was the guy playing the pilot). Generally, the movie had way too much Hollywood about it for my taste. "Here's a strong, independent woman. Here's a token black guy who makes funny faces." Bleh, so forced and formulaic. What's next? The big reveal that C3PO is gay?

Still, when the credits rolled, I thought "That's it?". I genuinely believed we had at least one more hour to go. So I guess it was pretty entertaining. I maintain hope that the next 2 movies will be more original, though.
Maybe I'm just too old for these bland vanilla stories. I guess I would've loved it if I was still 12.

Oh, and while we're on topic: please, stop saying the prequels weren't bad (which I've read quite a few times, recently). They were terrible (at least Ep I & II). It's really not a matter of opinion. It's basically "The Muppets on Tatooine". Ep II is one big, boring love story, with crappy dialogue, and two actors with absolutely no chemistry. It's ok if you like them, I like some bad movies, too. It's also ok if you were young when you watched them, and they hold some nostalgic value for you. Doesn't change anything, though, they're absolutely mind-numbingly bad movies, Star Wars or not.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #99 on: December 22, 2015, 07:46:28 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I can't get past the part where a movie with hundreds of lightsabers, a huge space battle, Jango Fett, and a fairly compelling mystery was bad.

I found it exceptionally entertaining, which is why I was there.

You want a boring as heck, virtually meaningless space movie, go for 2001 Space Oddessy. I've been more entertained literally watching paint dry.

During AOTC at the beginning of the clone war battle and again when Yoda was carving up Dooku people were literally jumping out of their seats, and it wasn't just the kids.

« Reply #100 on: December 22, 2015, 06:38:30 PM »

Offline AngryAndIrritable

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 29
I can't get past the part where a movie with hundreds of lightsabers, a huge space battle, Jango Fett, and a fairly compelling mystery was bad.

I found it exceptionally entertaining, which is why I was there.

You want a boring as heck, virtually meaningless space movie, go for 2001 Space Oddessy. I've been more entertained literally watching paint dry.

During AOTC at the beginning of the clone war battle and again when Yoda was carving up Dooku people were literally jumping out of their seats, and it wasn't just the kids.

No idea why you brought up '2001' with reference to Star Wars. This is one of the most 'apples to oranges' comparisons I have seen in a long time. It's like comparing The Beatles to Monteverdi.

Anyway... having spent the last week playing 'dodge the spoiler' with varying degrees of success, I finally got to watch it. I don't really know what to make of it - obviously JJ Abrams was on a hiding to nothing if he did anything other than move the look and feel of the film back to the original trilogy.

The human/ humorous aspects were what made the film for me. Admittedly some of the themes and comic riffs were rehashed but they still worked, albeit with entirely new characters. Rey and Finn were the best two characters in the film - Leia may as well not have been there for all she truly added to the story, and even Solo's presence seemed ultimately disposable.

Kylo Ren is either a villain played incredibly badly or not a villlain at all. I guess we'll see how that pans out later.

« Reply #101 on: December 22, 2015, 08:08:44 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
Saw it last night..
I have to say...I thought it was a metaphor for Disney taking over for Lucas.
Bad guys more evil than the Empire--?...Bigger Death Star...Skywalker is NOW basically Obi-Wan.
New cuter "Disney" marketable Droid taking over for R2D2.
Yoda replaced by girl character with goggles.
Typical Hollywood--Re-boot--with a girl NOW the hero.
SAME plot as episode IV---gotta capture those young audiences somehow---Just remake the first one I guess.

It was okay---just don't ever have to see it again---I'll just watch Episode IV.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #102 on: December 22, 2015, 08:36:22 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker

k... whatev

Mike
How do you know if 99% of people were unaware of this popular theory unless you yourself were familiar with that popular theory?  Maybe it was more popular in the UK since they had over a decade of Daleks at that point so the idea of R2D2 being the brain of Luke's destroyed Jedi father in a cyborg body wasn't too far fetched.  Plus R2D2 was present any time the force was used... You can see how everyone came to that conclusion.

Anyways... What are we even talking about at this point ?  You didn't like the movie ?  That's a shame.  You ever seen "Hook"?  You know how Robin Williams acts before he remembers he is Peter Pan?   That's how it must feel to hate the new Star Wars movie... Unable to tap into the magic of your childhood and love it for what it is.  I mostly feel bad for anyone who wasn't thrilled with it.  Everyone I went with loved it.  It's all anyone has been talking about.   I couldn't stop smiling.  I got chills multiple times.  It fully delivered.  JJ nailed it.

Unless you are in your mid 50s, you heard about this "popular" theory the same way I did.  You read about it recently on the Internet.

And when did I say I didn't like TFA?  I just saw it a second time and enjoyed it even more.  I just objected to you pulling a "Scrottie McBoogerballs" with it.

Mike

« Reply #103 on: December 22, 2015, 08:49:54 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
I agree about Rey's near instant aptitude with the Force. It was like watching Dragon Ball Z...I mean really...

« Reply #104 on: December 22, 2015, 09:34:27 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I did not get the whole "nostalgia" thing.  I did not need Star Wars nostalgia. The nostalgia was going to come naturally from Han, Chewie, Luke, R2, C3PO, and Leia, and the trailers made it pretty clear there was going to be a certain nostalgic ship as well. And it would be fighting nostalgic tie fighters.

But I was very much under the impression it would be a NEW movie. Meaning new plots, new planets, new ships, new weapons, new themes, new problems, new characters, NNNNNEEEEEEEWWWW.

Instead I got recycled. Didn't have that new movie smell. Got that "we just stole your money after we mailed it in" smell.

God even the minor parts are recycled. I mean a thousand year old small person who is wise and knows the Force? Geeze. Is Maz Yoda's little sister or something?  Just dumb.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 07:00:37 PM by eja117 »