Author Topic: Rondo's worth revisited  (Read 4884 times)

Re: Rondo's worth revisited
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2009, 08:00:19 AM »

Online JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
I think its fair to assume he'll get Al Jefferson Type money. Big Al is another player who came off a "mid 1st round" rookie contract and has serious game. 5 years $60 - $65 million.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2009, 08:52:52 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
When we got Garnett and Ray Allen there was all this talk about each of the big three sacrificing a part of their game for the greater good.  Primarily this meant each of the big 3 would score fewer points.

Rondo detractors (including Gary Payton) have accused Rondo of being worthless when not playing with hall of fame caliber players.  The only reason he's any good, they say, is he's playing with such great scores and such a great defender (Garnett). 

Rondo fans like myself, however, have seen that Rondo has been "sacrificing" his game almost all along, just like the members of our big 3.  In other words, on a team like Memphis or Ok.City, Rondo would have been scoring a great deal more all along, while probably having much fewer assists.

With Garnett out, Rondo is forced to be more assertive, and those of us who've been his fans from the beginning (remember MikeD...remember Tommy H. way back saying Rondo could make the hall of fame one day) have sensed that he had this extra gear.  Rondo's was born to sacrifice his game for the greater good, but right now they need him to take over the game, and he's doing just that.

So Garnett's injury has hastened Rondo final coming out party (the detractors now crying in mud puddles bemoaning their poor scouting abilities) and made his value skyrocket.  Ainge, recognizing Rondo's value, would have paid him a big salary anyway, but I do think the extra offense brought about by Garnett's offense will add up to a few more million per year....

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2009, 08:59:22 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
So most of us are in consencus that rondo should be locked up soon. Hopefully his agent doesn't give him other ideas (think about scott boras)

Rondo's jumper i'm sure will keep improving to the point he can shoot the ball even with someone breathing close to him eventually. Until that day happens celtics  should sign him to the 10 million per year he is worth at this time.

I guess also most of you indirectly agree ray allen won't comeback as a celtic next year if he demands a salary north of 13-15 million dollars. He is imo also worth 9-10 million per season right now. Still with kg's and paul pierce's salary locked up if we want some kind of decent bench we can't have all starters making north of 10 million so something has to give

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2009, 09:28:10 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
I agree about him scoring more points for a team like OKC or Memphis, but he's always been a distributing PG. He was putting up 20 assist games all the time in high school.

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2009, 09:45:11 AM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
The only thing I'm waiting on with Rondo is consistency of effort, as Game 1 illustrates.

When he comes to play aggressively, attacking at the offensive end and defending his rear off at the other end, staying in front of his man, he's elite. Similar to the last two games.

When his defense suffers, as it did markedly in Game 1, he's not elite.

Consistency. When it arrives, this guy will be one of the greats.
TP...i agree with you 100%

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2009, 09:48:42 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
There was one possession in last night's game that I really loved about Rondo playing defense. He never gave up on Rose, and stayed in front of him the whole time, all the way to the basket (something he never does). The result? Rose on the floor.

This was my main complaint with Rondo in game 1, that he was staying in front of Rose till about 6-10 feet from the basket, where he would plant his feet and try for a strip. But in this play he stayed with him all the way to the basket to contest, and Rondo won the challenge.

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2009, 10:24:54 AM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
Rondo is clearly the best player of our team in these playoffs. Talk about stepping up!

I love it, he is really confident and the Bulls still haven't found a way to stop him, and I'm not sure he could be. He is much more confident with his jumpshot now and he even hit dagger trees last night!

I'm really glad for the team and for Rondo himself because the kid was being criticized constantly by the media, saying that he was benefiting from the 3 All-Stars playing with him and that it was easy when you can give alley-oops to Garnett... guess what? KG is not playing and Rondo is replacing him perfectly.