Author Topic: what are some of the offers for John Wall going to look like?  (Read 6764 times)

what are some of the offers for John Wall going to look like?
« on: November 20, 2018, 01:55:05 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
and how many teams are going to want to take on that abysmal contract for a guy who has proved to be nothing other than cancerous?

Possible suitors

Clippers (Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, Avery Bradley, Jerome Robinson)
Heat (Goran Dragic & Justice Winslow)
Pelicans (Jrue Holiday, Cheick Diallo, 2nd rounder)
Magic (Mo Bamba, Terrence Ross, Jerian Grant)
Suns (TJ Warren, Mikal Bridges, Elie Okobo)
Knicks (Frank Ntilikina, Kevin Knox, Courtney Lee)

The Lakers may also be interested, depends on what GM LeBrons take on Wall is. Im honestly not sure.

My guess is he ends up in New Orleans with Davis or Orlando.

Re: what are some of the offers for John Wall going to look like?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2018, 02:05:08 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
I think you're grossly overrating Wall's value. To be honest, the remaining deal of his contract is so toxic that I wouldn't be surprised if the best they receive in return is expiring(s) and a protected 1st.

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2018, 02:06:38 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Those all seem like way too much value.  I mean I don't even know if the Cavs would trade JR Smith for him, and JR Smith is no longer doing team activities.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2018, 02:16:46 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
I think you're grossly overrating Wall's value. To be honest, the remaining deal of his contract is so toxic that I wouldn't be surprised if the best they receive in return is expiring(s) and a protected 1st.

To be fair we're talking about a five time all star who isn't in his thirties yet and has improved his shooting..there are desperate teams out there who will offer more than you think.

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2018, 02:21:52 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
My guess is that Wall doesn't get traded until next summer, after several teams strike out on free agents and decide they don't have a better use for their cap space.

This season, I imagine the only teams that might be interested in trading for Wall would be bad teams hoping to become respectable by upgrading at point guard.  Those teams (the Magic?) probably aren't going to be willing to give up much in the way of prospects or picks for him.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2018, 02:30:14 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
My guess is that Wall doesn't get traded until next summer, after several teams strike out on free agents and decide they don't have a better use for their cap space.

This season, I imagine the only teams that might be interested in trading for Wall would be bad teams hoping to become respectable by upgrading at point guard.  Those teams (the Magic?) probably aren't going to be willing to give up much in the way of prospects or picks for him.
Wall is a lot easier to trade this year though as his salary is 19.17 million.  Next year it is 37.8 million.  Way easier to trade a 19 million figure then a 38 million figure. 

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2018, 02:43:45 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Wall is a lot easier to trade this year though as his salary is 19.17 million.  Next year it is 37.8 million.  Way easier to trade a 19 million figure then a 38 million figure.

That's true.  Who thinks Wall is gonna make their team so much better that it's worth paying him that much when he's in his early 30s, though?

I was thinking maybe Dallas ... Dennis Smith and Wes Matthews would be enough salary to do it.  Washington gets an okay PG prospect and gets off Wall's money.

I'd be surprised if they did a lot better than that, honestly.  Wall is a bargain at $20 million and an albatross at $30+ million.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2018, 03:12:45 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
They should be able to trade Wall if they want to.  He is a star player.  If I were the Knicks for example, I would try to get him.  Courtney Lee, Mudiay (or Frank Ntilikina), and a first round pick, perhaps with some protections?

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2018, 03:18:23 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
The 15% trade kicker sucks if he isn't willing to Kyrie it.

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2018, 03:40:54 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

That's true.  Who thinks Wall is gonna make their team so much better that it's worth paying him that much when he's in his early 30s, though?

I was thinking maybe Dallas ... Dennis Smith and Wes Matthews would be enough salary to do it.  Washington gets an okay PG prospect and gets off Wall's money.

I'd be surprised if they did a lot better than that, honestly.  Wall is a bargain at $20 million and an albatross at $30+ million.
I keep landing on the Knicks or a team that isn't going to be able to land a major free agent like the Kings, Suns, Cavs, Grizzlies, Jazz, etc.  The problem with Wall is his contract, not his play, not his age, etc.  That said we are going to start seeing more big contracts like his though so it isn't going to be so strange in a couple of years either. 

What about something like Conley for Wall and Mahinmi?  I think that would be an interesting trade for both teams. 

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2018, 03:43:32 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

I keep landing on the Knicks or a team that isn't going to be able to land a major free agent like the Kings, Suns, Cavs, Grizzlies, Jazz, etc.  The problem with Wall is his contract, not his play, not his age, etc.  That said we are going to start seeing more big contracts like his though so it isn't going to be so strange in a couple of years either. 

What about something like Conley for Wall and Mahinmi?  I think that would be an interesting trade for both teams.

I will believe that Memphis is going to trade Conley or Gasol when it happens and no sooner.

I think they're gonna keep those guys until they retire, if they have any say in it.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2018, 03:45:34 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

That's actually a reasonable framework for a trade.  But I don't think Memphis management has the courage to break up the Gasol-Conley duo.  They probably want these guys to retire as Grizzlies.

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2018, 04:23:12 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
They should be able to trade Wall if they want to.  He is a star player.  If I were the Knicks for example, I would try to get him.  Courtney Lee, Mudiay (or Frank Ntilikina), and a first round pick, perhaps with some protections?

But he's not a good star player.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2018, 04:53:58 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860

But he's not a good star player.

I am not sure what you mean but it is all subjective or qualitative.  For example, you can start with something like this; I would rather have Wall than Jimmy Butler.

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2018, 05:03:38 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
and how many teams are going to want to take on that abysmal contract for a guy who has proved to be nothing other than cancerous?

Possible suitors

Clippers (Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, Avery Bradley, Jerome Robinson)
Heat (Goran Dragic & Justice Winslow)
Pelicans (Jrue Holiday, Cheick Diallo, 2nd rounder)
Magic (Mo Bamba, Terrence Ross, Jerian Grant)
Suns (TJ Warren, Mikal Bridges, Elie Okobo)
Knicks (Frank Ntilikina, Kevin Knox, Courtney Lee)

The Lakers may also be interested, depends on what GM LeBrons take on Wall is. Im honestly not sure.

My guess is he ends up in New Orleans with Davis or Orlando.

Jrue Holiday is better than Wall today all by himself and he is not cancer with a toxic contract.