Author Topic: Celtics Regular Season News  (Read 126862 times)

Re: Celtics Regular Season News
« Reply #105 on: November 25, 2023, 10:29:49 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 886
For the last 4 games, we have given up 57 ORebs, third worst in the league over that span.  We are 2-2 in those games.  In that same span, we have gotten only 28 ORebs, dead last in the league over that span.  That is is a disparity of 29 possessions in those four games (7.25 per). 

For the total season, we have given up 175 ORebs and gotten 157, so not nearly as bad overall.  I am not not sure why these last 4 have been so bad.  Orlando is 6th in the league overall in ORebs but the other teams are all middle of the pack or lower.

I have never seen DRebs as an important stat.  If you miss a lot of shots, your opponent has more opportunities for defensive rebounds.  ORebs seem like they have more impact on the outcome, like turnovers.  They are going to have to tighten this up.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2023, 10:46:55 AM by Vermont Green »

« Reply #106 on: November 25, 2023, 11:46:49 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1459
Celtics rookie Jordan Walsh might make his NBA regular season debut on Sunday night against the Hawks.

Boston recalled Walsh from its G League affiliate, the Maine Celtics, shortly after it was announced that Jrue Holiday will be questionable for Sunday and Kristaps Porzingis was already ruled out.

The lengthy guard has gotten off to a hot start in the G League. In six games, Walsh is averaging 15.0 points, 6.2 rebounds, 2.3 assists, and 1.7 steals per game.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #107 on: November 26, 2023, 01:52:44 AM »

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1392
For the last 4 games, we have given up 57 ORebs, third worst in the league over that span.  We are 2-2 in those games.  In that same span, we have gotten only 28 ORebs, dead last in the league over that span.  That is is a disparity of 29 possessions in those four games (7.25 per). 

For the total season, we have given up 175 ORebs and gotten 157, so not nearly as bad overall.  I am not not sure why these last 4 have been so bad.  Orlando is 6th in the league overall in ORebs but the other teams are all middle of the pack or lower.

I have never seen DRebs as an important stat.  If you miss a lot of shots, your opponent has more opportunities for defensive rebounds.  ORebs seem like they have more impact on the outcome, like turnovers.  They are going to have to tighten this up.

Their importance is in preventing the other team from getting offensive rebounds basically  :police:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #108 on: November 26, 2023, 06:59:59 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 422
Need someone off the bench to help so let’s see what Walsh can do
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #109 on: November 26, 2023, 08:25:34 AM »

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I know it's still early and I hate to see the Cs lose any game, however the only loss that was an embarrassment was Charlotte.  The Cs four losses: Minn - 11-4; Orlando - 11-5; Philly - 11-5; and unfortunately the Hornets - 5-9.  At least the Cs are losing to good teams (so far this season).
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #110 on: November 26, 2023, 12:19:26 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25613
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I know it's still early and I hate to see the Cs lose any game, however the only loss that was an embarrassment was Charlotte.  The Cs four losses: Minn - 11-4; Orlando - 11-5; Philly - 11-5; and unfortunately the Hornets - 5-9.  At least the Cs are losing to good teams (so far this season).

The 17-0 run and the lack of fight against Orlando was embarrassing to me.  It's not that they lost, it's the way they lost.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #111 on: November 26, 2023, 12:27:23 PM »

Offline Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1833

The 17-0 run and the lack of fight against Orlando was embarrassing to me.  It's not that they lost, it's the way they lost.

Good point.  It was an embarrassment, but Orlando is not a bad team.
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #112 on: November 26, 2023, 12:50:23 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

Their importance is in preventing the other team from getting offensive rebounds basically  :police:

Yes, don't get me wrong, executing good defensive rebounding is important.  My point is that the stat in isolation does not mean much.  If one team got 50 DRebs and the other 40, that alone does not tell you much about rebounding.  It may only mean that one team missed more shots than the other team.

« Reply #113 on: November 26, 2023, 12:52:36 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

The Celtics are 6-0 at home and 6-4 on the road.  It is true we have played some good teams on the road but we should be able to play better than we have.

« Reply #114 on: November 26, 2023, 01:21:55 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2498

The Celtics are 6-0 at home and 6-4 on the road.  It is true we have played some good teams on the road but we should be able to play better than we have.

I'm not super worried about it. The Nuggets were 19-22 on the road last year.   Out of 7 teams that finished above .500 on the road, the Bucks had the best record at 26-15, which is roughly .600.

Between the officiating and the crowd, road games are brutal in this league.

« Reply #115 on: November 26, 2023, 01:44:41 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 557

Yes, don't get me wrong, executing good defensive rebounding is important.  My point is that the stat in isolation does not mean much.  If one team got 50 DRebs and the other 40, that alone does not tell you much about rebounding.  It may only mean that one team missed more shots than the other team.
No stat in isolation means much.  Rebounding totals definitely don't.  However the Celts are actually 1st in defensive rebounds per game.  Somewhat more meaningfully the Celts are 4th best in defensive rebound percentage and they are 18th in offensive rebounding percentage.  That seems to indicate the Celts are very good on the defensive boards and average on the offensive boards.  So you might want to focus more on the offensive boards but how much would that hurt the transition defense? 

« Reply #116 on: November 27, 2023, 12:11:51 AM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum

———

Source: Sean Grande
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #117 on: November 27, 2023, 01:43:12 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 554
So some IST games to watch for Tuesday:

The C's can still make the tournament, but they need some things to go right. If they beat the Bulls and finish tied with the Magic at 3-1 they would lose the head to head tie breaker. But if the Nets beat the Raptors it would be a three way tie and point differential would break the tie. Currently the c's have a +0, the Magic a +22 and the Nets a +8. So to win the group the C's need the Nets to win, and they need to beat the Bulls by at least 23+ to have a shot.

If they don't win the group they can get in as the wildcard. The wildcard goes to the best IST record among teams that finished second in their group. So to win the wildcard the c's would need to finish with the best point differential among the 3-1 teams. Some games to watch are:

Cle (+6) vs ATL.
Mil (+39) vs Mia (+11)
NYK (+18) vs Cha
Brk (+8) vs Tor

The best outcome for the c's would be all of Cle, Mia, NYK and Brk to lose dropping all to 2-2 and which would mean the c's merely need to win and they are in. If any of those teams win the c's would need to overcome their point differential menaing they have to SMOKE chicago.

« Reply #118 on: November 27, 2023, 05:52:01 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 422
I’m only one who doesn’t care bout the in season tournament?
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #119 on: November 27, 2023, 06:20:06 AM »

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1392
I’m only one who doesn’t care bout the in season tournament?

I think there's a lot of people that don't care...I care though  :police:

I guess also being a fan of European soccer I'm more familiar with these midseason knockout tournaments, it would be nice to win it. I'm not going to slit my wrists if we don't though
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D