Author Topic: Communication on defense  (Read 1747 times)

Communication on defense
« on: November 11, 2019, 06:31:57 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Rollie Massimino came up North from New Jersey after a couple of years of making the State Finals not an easy task in Jersey .Rollie had as mentors some of the East Coast greatest coaching legends
.When  he arrived , he went back to basics and drills especially defence Assume the position, hand down ,sliding side to side and hold that position , Then ball denial drills. Hours and hours of drills and conditioning. This was a defence, that was about communication ,team work and intimidation Not to forget those,boxing out drills with Massimino's  goal to shut a team out for a quarter using intense pressure, ball denial, help man to man defence  .Then he ripped apart our jump shots.
New England hadn't seen or heard a defence like this. Other teams played in silence while all you could hear was help right ,help left, watch the screen. He even had us growling as you pressured the ball up court or on inbounds during practice
You were benched if you straightened up from your defensive stance or tongue lashed for not calling out a screen or box out. He screamed and yelled ,pulled at his thinning hair  and talk about intimidating the refs with his Jersey accent What a motivator he was.
Not only was Coach Carter on this week bringing back memories but a miked up Kemba communicating and hearing Robert Williams talk about defensive communication and you can see it has taken root.
Marcus always talking.
Theis is playing inspired defence and moving well laterally .You can actually feel the intensity level, the swarming and positioning cutting off driving and passing lanes.
Great defence is so beautiful like ball movement on offence but even rarer but it comes at a cost like Gordons fractured hand running into a hard screen.
Did you see Marcus rip that ball away from the Spurs center that was not just strength but the precise use speed, force and a core strength.This is a gift.

In Summer League Robert Williams took a wide open 12-15 footer and was quickly reprimanded by Morrison.I get it. For now just work on defence and keeping the ball moving get yous screens and timing down on your rolls and getting to a position that allows for penetration by others and the option of passing or finishing at hoop..

« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 06:42:37 AM by rollie mass »

Re: Communication on defense
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 08:47:54 AM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
Rollie Massimino came up North from New Jersey after a couple of years of making the State Finals not an easy task in Jersey .Rollie had as mentors some of the East Coast greatest coaching legends
.When  he arrived , he went back to basics and drills especially defence Assume the position, hand down ,sliding side to side and hold that position , Then ball denial drills. Hours and hours of drills and conditioning. This was a defence, that was about communication ,team work and intimidation Not to forget those,boxing out drills with Massimino's  goal to shut a team out for a quarter using intense pressure, ball denial, help man to man defence  .Then he ripped apart our jump shots.
New England hadn't seen or heard a defence like this. Other teams played in silence while all you could hear was help right ,help left, watch the screen. He even had us growling as you pressured the ball up court or on inbounds during practice
You were benched if you straightened up from your defensive stance or tongue lashed for not calling out a screen or box out. He screamed and yelled ,pulled at his thinning hair  and talk about intimidating the refs with his Jersey accent What a motivator he was.
Not only was Coach Carter on this week bringing back memories but a miked up Kemba communicating and hearing Robert Williams talk about defensive communication and you can see it has taken root.
Marcus always talking.
Theis is playing inspired defence and moving well laterally .You can actually feel the intensity level, the swarming and positioning cutting off driving and passing lanes.
Great defence is so beautiful like ball movement on offence but even rarer but it comes at a cost like Gordons fractured hand running into a hard screen.
Did you see Marcus rip that ball away from the Spurs center that was not just strength but the precise use speed, force and a core strength.This is a gift.

In Summer League Robert Williams took a wide open 12-15 footer and was quickly reprimanded by Morrison.I get it. For now just work on defence and keeping the ball moving get yous screens and timing down on your rolls and getting to a position that allows for penetration by others and the option of passing or finishing at hoop..

Nice Rollie,
Love those mini memoirs about playing for a great coach.

The D the c’s are playing is exactly what I envisioned when I imagined a best case scenario this summer.

“If they swarm, if they communicate, if they crowd passing lanes, if they play on a string...”

They are doing it all.
Love this team.

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2019, 09:35:28 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Rollie Mass sounds a lot like my high school coach in New Hampshire.

TP for the memories.

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2019, 10:36:56 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I do think this year's team is communicating better on the floor but what I find more impressive is their seemless ability to switch on and off the opposition without the verbal communication. It's obvious that their core guys who have been here a while(Tatum, Brown, Smart, Theis, Hayward) have mastered Stevens' defensive set and instinctively know to when and where to switch and can communicate that with just a look or slight movement. All the parts seem to move in concert, without any one guy out of sync in their rotations.

Of course, with the guys that haven't been here long it's more verbal and the rotations tend to be late and rotations off. But that they are communicating properly is important, edpecially until they get that synergy that comes with playing in the same system with the same players for years.

I have loved what they have done defensively this year. I think their only weakness defensively is not the initial stop, even against the biggest centers or stopping high scoring guys. I think it's just their defensive rebounding. It's their ability to put their butts on guys and move them off the boards after a shot goes up. Clean that up and I think we might have another top ranked Stevens defensive team.

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2019, 02:16:32 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Great defence ... comes at a cost like Gordon's fractured hand running into a hard screen.
Can't say I agree.  It looked like bad luck to me.