Author Topic: Brad Stevens is not an elite coach  (Read 7910 times)

Re: Brad Stevens is not an elite coach
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2019, 10:21:40 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871
  • GOT IT!!!
    seems to me they make the same mistakes game after game.jaylen and jayson did nothing to help tonight,both played very poorly
I thought it was the usual for Jaylen when he "plays poorly", it was more that he didn't get the ball and wasn't involved in the offense due to whatever scheme Brad comes up with to reward him scoring 20+ for three straight games.

He basically has no scheme

Just his system and habits

It’s a spread offense with no running game to balance it out.

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2019, 10:21:50 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I feel like there is enough evidence to support the thought that CBS is a mediocre offensive coach. There is nothing special about his philosophy on that side of the ball. He let’s anyone and everyone jack shots up.

It feels like he wants the C’s to mimic the the Spurs but that team can kill you with a thousand cuts. The majority of the time the C’s take the first lazy shot they can. When the 3’s are falling they look like a juggernaut but this team should be so much more than that. How do you preach ball movement then allow bigs to take 3’s early in the shot clock?

Exactly

Pops is an elite coach. Because he had the weapons and he knew how to hurt you with it

Brad has the weapons but its like unsharpened

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2019, 10:22:21 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
    seems to me they make the same mistakes game after game.jaylen and jayson did nothing to help tonight,both played very poorly
I thought it was the usual for Jaylen when he "plays poorly", it was more that he didn't get the ball and wasn't involved in the offense due to whatever scheme Brad comes up with to reward him scoring 20+ for three straight games.

He basically has no scheme

Just his system and habits
You mean his favourites and obsession with small ball.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2019, 10:23:14 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
I feel like there is enough evidence to support the thought that CBS is a mediocre offensive coach. There is nothing special about his philosophy on that side of the ball. He let’s anyone and everyone jack shots up.

It feels like he wants the C’s to mimic the the Spurs but that team can kill you with a thousand cuts. The majority of the time the C’s take the first lazy shot they can. When the 3’s are falling they look like a juggernaut but this team should be so much more than that. How do you preach ball movement then allow bigs to take 3’s early in the shot clock?

Exactly

Pops is an elite coach. Because he had the weapons and he knew how to hurt you with it

Brad has the weapons but its like unsharpened
It's more like he throws his sharpest blades to the junk to let them rust lol
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2019, 10:23:41 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Burn this thread to the ground.

If Tatum hits at least 2 of his WIDE OPEN threes, this game has a different complexion. But god forbid anyone says something somewhat critical of a young guy. I know everyone wants Tatum to be special, but he's just not yet. He has flashes, but he's nowhere near doing it consistently.
What are you on about? The majority of this thread has been talking about Jaylen, whose recent performances have earned him the right to not play 20 minutes a game behind Morris and Smart imo.

"The ball should be funneling through Tatum and Brown" is literally in the OP. The problem is Tatum has Kobe-itis and Brown - for as good as he's been lately - can't be trusted at the free throw line late in games.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2019, 10:24:25 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Bring back rick pitino!

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2019, 10:25:04 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

If Tatum hits at least 2 of his WIDE OPEN threes, this game has a different complexion. But god forbid anyone says something somewhat critical of a young guy. I know everyone wants Tatum to be special, but he's just not yet. He has flashes, but he's nowhere near doing it consistently.
What are you on about? The majority of this thread has been talking about Jaylen, whose recent performances have earned him the right to not play 20 minutes a game behind Morris and Smart imo.

"The ball should be funneling through Tatum and Brown" is literally in the OP. The problem is Tatum has Kobe-itis and Brown - for as good as he's been lately - can't be trusted at the free throw line late in games.

The low faith you have in these two

How the F did the team make the ecf last season. Can you explain?

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2019, 10:26:03 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

This is true, but there is no reasonable explanation for playing Mook 15 minutes more than JB. Brown even played less than Terry did without Hayward.

Frankly, that is a garbage rotation and it's entirely on Brad
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2019, 10:27:47 PM »

Offline ihatelakers

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
  I don't want to funnel any offense thru tatum,i think kobe has done an awful number on this guy.tunnel vision like morris chucking bad shots up,no thank you

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2019, 10:28:53 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
  I don't want to funnel any offense thru tatum,i think kobe has done an awful number on this guy.tunnel vision like morris chucking bad shots up,no thank you
Maybe Tatum's obvious close friendship with Morris has done more harm to him than the few workouts he did with Kobe might have
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2019, 10:29:04 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

This is true, but there is no reasonable explanation for playing Mook 15 minutes more than JB. Brown even played less than Terry did without Hayward.

Frankly, that is a garbage rotation and it's entirely on Brad

Exactly

CBS just keeps dolling out mins to Morris

The guy is not even in the picture long term

He is a freaking bench talent at best

« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2019, 10:35:00 PM »

Offline ihatelakers

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
   that's also not forget how bad at times smarts shot selection is ,seems like he starts chucking just as we get some momentum in our comebacks and deflates everything!!!!

« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2019, 10:36:59 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
Brad is better off coaching the Pacers or some young and running team.

And take his 3-ball philosophy somewhere else.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2019, 10:40:21 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Brad is better off coaching the Pacers or some young and running team.

And take his 3-ball philosophy somewhere else.
^this. If he still doesn't know his best 5 sack him!
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2019, 10:42:15 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

The low faith you have in these two

How the F did the team make the ecf last season. Can you explain?

That was almost a year ago. It's over. I'm not going to pat them on the back for being stagnant - Tatum in particular. He's not getting less opportunity compared to last year's playoffs, but he has not improved his game. I'll give Brown a little leeway because he wasn't 100% healthy in the early going, but with the game close in the fourth quarter, I'm still not running the offense through a guy who shoots 68% from the free throw line.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 11:07:31 PM by RJ87 »
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman