Poll

What's most you've ever had to drink before getting behind the wheel?

1 or 2
3 or 4
5 or 6
7 or 8
9 or more
Actually, I never drink alcohol...

Author Topic: Have you driven drunk? Answer honestly...  (Read 57001 times)

Have you driven drunk? Answer honestly...
« on: January 21, 2009, 11:18:25 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
How's this for Celtic talk???

I'm just curious how many people here will be honest And to see how good or bad I am (or was, I should say) myself...

Re: Have you driven drunk? Answer honestly...
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 11:21:41 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Wow, that's a heavy question.  I've never driven drunk, or after feeling a tangible effect from the booze.  That being said, I've probably had 5 or 6 beers over the course of a day (not just an hour or two) and felt fine to drive.

That's one lesson both my parents and school drove into my head.  As drunk as I've been, I've always refused to even get in the car with somebody who was drunk.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 11:23:05 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
never. I'm very uncomfrotable after a beer or two   hours previous, never mind after getting drunk.

If im planning on drinking the whole night, i plan ahead for options (stay over, cab home, DD, ect.)

mabey it makes me less spontanious about when i go out and stay in, but i just can't imagine doing it. Its one think to put yourself in danger, another for everyone else on the road.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 11:30:47 AM by crownsy »
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 11:24:52 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
Never. I don't own a car or have a license.
I've ridden in a car with someone drunk
a couple of times and it's probably the
most stupid thing I've ever done.

Ask Malik Sealy  :-X

PS. Don't do it again, please!

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 11:31:23 AM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.
Interesting topic.  I've had 6-7 at a tailgate, gone to a game, and then felt fine to drive afterwards, but that's more like a 4-5 hour gap in between.  There's also been a few morning-afters where it's been dicey, but at no point have I woken up and said to myself "Man...I should not have driven last night". 

I'm generally pretty cautious about these things, especially after a friend in high school got into a pretty bad drunk driving wreck.  I also had the awesome job of getting drunk for TN state troopers so that they could practice their field sobriety testing, so I got a good understanding of just how little you have to drink to get nailed for a DWI.  I'm extra careful after that one, although I did pick up a few tricks about how they do the field tests before the breathalyzer. 
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 11:32:26 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Wow, that's a heavy question.  I've never driven drunk, or after feeling a tangible effect from the booze.  That being said, I've probably had 5 or 6 beers over the course of a day (not just an hour or two) and felt fine to drive.

That's one lesson both my parents and school drove into my head.  As drunk as I've been, I've always refused to even get in the car with somebody who was drunk.

To add I ALWAYS give the keys to my wife or friends no matter how drunk I am

I am not a bad karma drunked that for sure I am the happy camper drunk kind of drunk  ;D

like Roy Ive probably had 6 beers easily and drive so technically thats not permitted but I try to do it only if i am heading home and wife is not with me and I am close and not entering heavy traffic areas,
 in the drinking mood i try to provoke all this friends reunion home or in the vecinity.

p.s. I ve been stoped with 4 beers and been punished with a day in classes and a very expensive traffic ticket too, I feel that was the most good thing police ever did to me.

dont drink and drive
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 11:33:18 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
Regrettably I have made the mistake of driving after a night of drinking once and I've been in that "3-6" range many times when I was young and stupid. Fortunately, nobody was hurt and I wasn't arrested....

A friend of mine recently got arrest for an OUI and was complaining to me "Do you know how many people drive around with the same intoxication level and don't get in trouble" I thought "jeez... God knows I've been there." I was curious who else.

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 11:37:49 AM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
Interesting topic.  I've had 6-7 at a tailgate, gone to a game, and then felt fine to drive afterwards, but that's more like a 4-5 hour gap in between.  There's also been a few morning-afters where it's been dicey, but at no point have I woken up and said to myself "Man...I should not have driven last night". 

I'm generally pretty cautious about these things, especially after a friend in high school got into a pretty bad drunk driving wreck.  I also had the awesome job of getting drunk for TN state troopers so that they could practice their field sobriety testing, so I got a good understanding of just how little you have to drink to get nailed for a DWI.  I'm extra careful after that one, although I did pick up a few tricks about how they do the field tests before the breathalyzer. 

ChampKind, that's hilarious... There are many people who are unemployed that would love that job...haha... How much did they pay you?

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009, 11:38:22 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Yes but it was well over 20 years ago and I was really young and stupid then and DARE and other types of agencies were in their infancy and you didn't hear a ton of stuff about it.

I was drunk and lucky and stupid. I ended up taking a corner a bit too sharp and rode over the curb. I was driving a Ford at the time and it had an automatic shut down of the fuel line to the engine in case of impact. Well that triggered and I couldn't get the car restarted and wasn't aware of the feature in the car or that there was a reactivation switch in the trunk.

I didn't know the area I was driving in, it was before cell phones, and I couldn't see any life for miles in either direction. So I slept it off, walked about 3 miles the next morning to a pay phone, had my buddy come and get me and then he showed me what happened. I messed up the axle on the car pretty bad. I never got behind the wheel after a drink again.

I could have died. Worse, I could have killed someone. I was dumb and lucky and thank God that that Ford had that feature because Lord knows what I would have done in that car still drunk and driving on a bad rear axle.

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2009, 11:43:54 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3768
  • Yup
When I was a freshman in college two of my best buddies came down to visit me.  We ended up going to a party, then leaving there to follow some ladies back to their house.  The girls were driving fast and I was trying to keep up.  I was driving on Route 6A in Barnstable - which is extremely curvy.  The three of us had split a case of beer pretty evenly, and there was no way in hell I should have been driving, but we were having fun and no one chimed in (including the voice in my head) to say otherwise.

So I'm driving along and I look up and see a big fat tree, which thankfully registered as something bad.  I swerved just in time, fishtaled into the other lane, did a 180 degree turn, and having regained control continued up a U shaped driveway and got going the right way again to resume following after the girls.  My friends were laughing their heads off, and I wasn't sure what the hell had just happened.

I think about this episode pretty frequently and 22 years later it still turns my stomach.  For whatever reason I am not the **** who killed his 2 best friends (and himself) because I was driving drunk.  But it was right there.  There's zero difference between me and some guy who's labeled a murderer and his family is shamed - except that I was lucky and an inch or two this way or that worked in my favor.  Period.

I'm still really good friends with both guys who were in the car.  Both guys families would consider me a part of theirs.  We're that close, and we've been friends since we were little.  But I guarantee you, had I hit that tree, I'd be nothing more than a common murderer in their eyes.

Thankfully, I was given a chance to learn a lesson and I did.  I'm not a big "God" guy, but I know there are definitely moments in life where things can go one way or the other on the flip of the coin.  I had stacked the odds pretty heavily against me that night and got lucky.

Stupidest thing I've ever done. 

Wow...Thanks for confessional hour.

Yup

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2009, 11:53:54 AM »

Offline GroverTheClover

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 167
I honestly say I have never driven after more than one drink. If and when I do go out, I'm usually the designated driver. I guess alcohol consumption isn't as fun as it was in college. I can't even remember when the last time I was slightly buzzed.

On occasion, I will have a glass of wine or a beer with dinner. In the unlikely event I have two drinks, I automatically hand the keys to my girlfriend. (She doesn't drink)

There's no reason to drink and drive period. I suppose when you know people that have died because of drunk driving, you realize what a selfish decision it is.

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2009, 12:04:58 PM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
I personally think driving drunk is one of the most selfish and reckless things you can do, but to be honest, I can't say with 100% certainty that I've never driven with my BAC at .08 or above.  I'm not exactly sure what it takes to get to that level, but I've always gone with the assumption that you burn off about 1 drink per hour.  So I try not to have any more drinks than the # of hours I'm at a particular bar/restaurant, etc, and I usually stop drinking an hour or so before I plan on leaving.

Here's a BAC calculator for people to take a look at.  Obviously it's not exact, but it can give people a decent indicator.  Judging by that, I'm in good shape.

http://www.ou.edu/oupd/bac.htm

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2009, 12:08:11 PM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.
I honestly say I have never driven after more than one drink. If and when I do go out, I'm usually the designated driver. I guess alcohol consumption isn't as fun as it was in college. I can't even remember when the last time I was slightly buzzed.

I understand where you're coming from on that.  It seems that in college it was way easier to drink without any responsibilities and little cost.  It was way easier to get drunk at house parties and just pass out on a couch than it is now to have to go out to the bar and do it. Plus, it's way more work to organize a game of beer pong these days. 
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2009, 12:08:53 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
Two beers or one drink is my limit when I'm driving.  I've never even thought about it to this point.  Being in college makes it a lot easier, we can either walk or pay 2 bucks for a cab ride wherever we want to go.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2009, 12:11:42 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
I can honestly answer no because I can proudly say I have never had a drink in my life. My Mormon upbringing has a lot to do with this.  This and graduating from BYU are among the many reasons I love our resident "Stormin' Mormon", Danny Ainge.  :)