Poll

With Ayton and Doncic gone, who would you want the C's to draft at #3 as of May 15th?

Marvin Bagley III - PF - Duke
27 (56.3%)
Jaren Jackson Jr - PF - Michigan State
12 (25%)
Mo Bamba - PF - Texas
4 (8.3%)
Michael Porter Jr - SF - Missouri
3 (6.3%)
Wendell Carter - PF - Duke
1 (2.1%)
Trae Young - PG - Oklahoma
0 (0%)
Collin Sexton - PG - Alabama
0 (0%)
Other Player
1 (2.1%)
Trade the pick, alone or in a package, in a non-AD deal
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Author Topic: Say we land #3 tonight... Who's your current #3 prospect if no Ayton or Doncic?  (Read 5144 times)

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
I would think it's Bagley, but there is some pause.  He's not really a shooter (which is highly valued  in the NBA today) and he's also a fairly average physical specimen (not very long).
true. I like carter

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
It's a tough call for me between JJJ and Bagley.  JJJ is the much safer pick.  Carter might even be a safer pick.

Bagley is such a tough player to evaluate.  Bagley is 6'11" and extremely athletic.  He's so fast and so quick.  His second jump is great.  But I find it difficult to understand why he had so few bocks, 0.9 per game.  He shot 39.7% from three on 1.8 threes per game, but his form doesn't look great and he only shot 62.7% from the free throw line.  He also scored 21 points per game on a team with a lot of offensive options on an overall shooting percentage of 61.4% and grabbed 11.1 rebounds (4 per game on offense) while sharing the floor with Carter.

Whoever is drafting third (assuming Ayton and Doncic go 1&2) is going to have to do a lot of homework on him.
would be real interesting if we win the 3rd pick, and if danny finds a trade partner to go trade down and get Carter and a future pick

That would be fun. We could be in the lotto yet again . We just keep hoarding lotto picks until we get the next lebron

I really like Carter.  He's not as exciting as other guys, but I think he will be a solid NBA player and would fit the Celtics very well.  It would be great for him to practice with Horford every day and learn from him since they look like similar type of players.

If Ainge pulled that off with another future pick, I'd be thrilled.
Agree 100%

Even carters stable demeanor resembles horfords on court attitude. A lot of similarities in playstyle for sure. Almost seems like a no brainer to get carter. He has great defensive instincts

I have said multiple times here that I would trade the Sacramento pick and Rozier for Carter.  I like Rozier, but I'm not sure where his minutes come from next year if Smart is back and we're 100% healthy.  Talented bigs are hard to come by and we could really use one.

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I would think it's Bagley, but there is some pause.  He's not really a shooter (which is highly valued  in the NBA today) and he's also a fairly average physical specimen (not very long).

His 3 point shooting was at 40% on 2 attempts a game. I realize his FT% was below average, but we have a guy on our team who shoots well from 3 and below average from FTs.

I really like Bagley. His finishing surrounded by 4 shooters would be lethal. I like his defense on the perimeter too.

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I have no clue, which is very upsetting as I usually like one or two guys above others.  I guess this draft is more interesting for its crapshoot aspect after consensus 1 and 2, though I do think Doncic could "fall" to 3 or 4, even 5.  He could also go 1. 

At pick #3

Heart:  Bamba, Bagley, Porter, Jackson

Head:  Bagley, Porter, Jackson, Bamba

Between heart and head Bagley gets the most points.......so Bagley  :P 8)

Head*:  trade down for Carter and future lottery pick...  :)

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Bamba seems ok...

Love this time of year, highlights against "Tennessee State" and the like.

Bamba has the physical gifts that might translate. In Texas there aren't highlights of him playing against anyone his physical equal.

Seems to have good hands and a ridiculous wingspan. Maybe Brad can whip him into shape some day.

Offline sdceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 45
Bagley.

Tier 1- Ayton
Tier 2- Bagley/Doncic
Tier 3- Jackson/Porter/Bamba/Young
Tier 4- Carter/Sexton/Mikal Bridges/Miles Bridges
Tier 5- Rest of the lottery selections

I could see Ainge at #3 taking any of these players. At #3, anyone from Tier 4 or 5 would be an absolute head scratcher, if there were no trade down.

I would be happy with anyone selected in Tier 3

The reality though is Bagley is the answer. He would be the #1 pick if Ayton weren't so physically imposing.

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I really don't know who is going to be better Jackson/Bagley.

I'm not huge on Bamba, but I get why some put him above the other two.

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Just from what I've seen as a fan, trading down for yet another top future pick and Carter is the choice after Ayton and Doncic. However, if Ainge does his homework and is convinced that Bagley is likely to end up a plus defender, I'd change my mind. That dude will score like crazy in the pros.

Offline TA9

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 118
  • I Bleed Green
Bagley - without a doubt. Would also become the third member of our 'Duke gang' besides Tatum and Kyrie haha.
Jack of all trades, master of none.

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Definitely JJJ. 40% from 3, 80% from the line and over 3 blocks per game in 22.2mpg. AND he’s still 18. He has oodles of potential, and we wouldn’t be in any rush to play him heaps of minutes as Al tutors him.

A lineup of Jackson/Tatum/Hayward/Brown/Kyrie is insanely athletic, versatile and elite at shooting
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I voted Porter but I'd also be okay with Bagley. Think both would be solid 4s.

Start the year with
Irving, Brown, Tatum, Porter/Bagley, Horford.

If Hayward is good to go
Irving, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Horford.

Offline TheisTheisBaby

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 32
If we're gonna roll the dice with another Dukie and hope we get lucky like we did with Tatum I'd rather draft Trent Jr.  He's a much better version of Tyreke Evans to me.  It'd make losing Rozier easier.  But since we're not gonna draft him that high I say go with Mo Bamba.  Get the next Dikembe. 

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
If we're gonna roll the dice with another Dukie and hope we get lucky like we did with Tatum I'd rather draft Trent Jr.  He's a much better version of Tyreke Evans to me.  It'd make losing Rozier easier.  But since we're not gonna draft him that high I say go with Mo Bamba.  Get the next Dikembe.
Much better version of Reke?? I like Trent Jr., but Tyreke is a career 16/5/5 guy coming off the best year since his monster rookie year.

Trent Jr. is a much better shooter from range and the line, but a worse playmaker. However, a few mocks I've seen have us nabbing him at #27, so maybe we nab two Dukies ;)
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Bagley is definitely a 5 in today's NBA.

Offline TheisTheisBaby

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 32
Bagley is definitely a 5 in today's NBA.

Out of 10?   :laugh: :laugh: