F - Kawhi
F - Durant
F - PG13
G - Harden
G - Kyrie
G - Curry
G - Lillard
Other (specify in the thread)

Author Topic: Vote: All NBA Teams for 2018-2019 (1st Team All-NBA)  (Read 7278 times)

Vote: All NBA Teams for 2018-2019 (1st Team All-NBA)
« on: March 19, 2019, 11:05:45 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
I saw people mentioning their thoughts about All-NBA, maybe in a Lebron thread, so I figured I'd create a poll.

Who you got for the All-NBA teams this year?  This poll is for 1st team only, I'll create 2nd/3rd team polls after this one.

Please post as many of the 3 All NBA teams as you'd like here.  My 3 All-NBA teams at the moment are:

1st Team:

Harden
Kyrie
Kawhi
Giannis
Jokic

2nd Team:

Curry
Lillard
PG13
Durant
Embiid

3rd Team:

Westbrook
Kemba, I think
Lebron
Blake Griffin, I think
KAT
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

Re: Vote: All NBA Teams for 2018-2019 (1st Team All-NBA)
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 12:38:36 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
My 5 for All-NBA first team

Harden
Curry
Kawhi
Giannis
Embiid

2nd Team

Kyrie
Lillard
George
Durant
Jokic

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 12:41:57 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
Jokic
PG13
Giannis
Harden
Curry

- LilRip

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 12:49:09 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Jokic
PG13
Giannis
Harden
Curry
That is mine as well.  While I think Embiid is better than Jokic, Jokic has played 10 more games and has a more complete offensive game so I went with him.  I really can't see how the forwards and guards aren't Giannis, George, Harden, and Curry.  I mean it isn't close at all in my mind.  I'm amazed Leonard has so many votes given how many games he has missed and the simple fact that he has worse stats than both Giannis and George (and they are basically worse across every major category and include efficiencies). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 01:02:35 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Jokic
Giannis
Kawhi
Curry
Harden

some tough calls to make but went with Jokic because I see him as the primary reason Denver is #2 seed in the West right now.   Same reasoning for Kawhi and Giannis --> they're driving their team's success at the top of the East.  Curry and Harden because of their immense impacts on their team's offense. 

last guys cut: Embiid (not healthy enough and Sixers are still considered an 'easy' out in the playoffs), Kyrie (not as explosive offensively as Curry and Harden but just as key to the C's success - which isn't as much of a success this year) and Durant (well, because he's Durant).

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2019, 01:20:17 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
I personally think the 2nd Guard spot is up for grabs between now and the rest of the year between Curry, Irving and Lillard. 

Then as someone said yesterday, Westbrook is the clear 5th G but there's a big drop off, and then a big drop off to the 6th G.

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2019, 01:30:53 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Jokic
PG13
Giannis
Harden
Curry
That is mine as well.  While I think Embiid is better than Jokic, Jokic has played 10 more games and has a more complete offensive game so I went with him.  I really can't see how the forwards and guards aren't Giannis, George, Harden, and Curry.  I mean it isn't close at all in my mind.  I'm amazed Leonard has so many votes given how many games he has missed and the simple fact that he has worse stats than both Giannis and George (and they are basically worse across every major category and include efficiencies).

I have Kawhi over George, but I think it's super close and could go either way (along with Durant).  Looking at per minute, per possession, and advanced stats, hard to choose whose better.

Kawhi's missed some games (20 so far, likely up to 21-22 by end of season), but his team is also on pace to win 58 games (while Durant is on pace for 56, and George at 49).  For those arguing games played (for guys like LeBron too, missed 19 so far), it just doesn't seem to be a huge deal to voters, to a point.  Embiid missed 19 and was 2nd team last year, Curry missed 31 and was 3rd, Durant missed 20 and was 2nd team in '17.  Chris Paul missed 20 in '14 and was 2nd team. 
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 01:39:08 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2019, 02:05:15 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Jokic
PG13
Giannis
Harden
Curry

That's mine as well. Kawhi gets the 2nd team because of missed games.

2nd team:

Kyrie
Lillard
Kawhi
Durant
Embiid

3rd team:

Westbrook
Kemba
Lebron
Balke (although I'd love to give this is Aldridge)

That last center spot is kind of crazy. Does AD qualify for the crap he pulled this season? Should it be KAT? Rudy Gobert? I don't know what to do there.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2019, 02:07:43 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Jokic
PG13
Giannis
Harden
Curry

I have Kawhi over George, but I think it's super close and could go either way (along with Durant).  Looking at per minute, per possession, and advanced stats, hard to choose whose better.

Kawhi's missed some games (20 so far, likely up to 21-22 by end of season), but his team is also on pace to win 58 games (while Durant is on pace for 56, and George at 49).  For those arguing games played (for guys like LeBron too, missed 19 so far), it just doesn't seem to be a huge deal to voters, to a point.  Embiid missed 19 and was 2nd team last year, Curry missed 31 and was 3rd, Durant missed 20 and was 2nd team in '17.  Chris Paul missed 20 in '14 and was 2nd team.
Sure if you miss 20 games and are just way better statistically then the people below you, but missing 20 games when your competition doesn't and has better stats than you no way.  And sure the Raptors are on pace to win 58 games, but they are 35-16 (68.6%) with him and 15-6 (71.4%) without him.  Seems strange to boast a team record when the team is actually better without him being available for the game. 

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2019, 02:17:58 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Jokic
PG13
Giannis
Harden
Curry

2nd team:

Kyrie
Lillard
Kawhi
Durant
Embiid

3rd team:

Westbrook
Kemba
Lebron

That last center spot is kind of crazy. Does AD qualify for the crap he pulled this season? Should it be KAT? Rudy Gobert? I don't know what to do there.
I'd swap Westbrook and Irving, though they are close enough I have no real issue with Irving ahead of Westbrook.  I think Towns should be the 3rd Team center, though could see arguments for Gobert.  Davis has just missed way too many games and basically blew up his team with his trade demand. 

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2019, 02:47:06 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Jokic
PG13
Giannis
Harden
Curry

2nd team:

Kyrie
Lillard
Kawhi
Durant
Embiid

3rd team:

Westbrook
Kemba
Lebron

I'd swap Westbrook and Irving, though they are close enough I have no real issue with Irving ahead of Westbrook.  I think Towns should be the 3rd Team center, though could see arguments for Gobert.  Davis has just missed way too many games and basically blew up his team with his trade demand.

I hear you, with Davis.

With Westbrook, I just can't get over the insane inefficiency. His eFG% is only 46% and he takes over 20 shots a game while also tuning it over 4.6 times a game. That knocks him below Kyrie, for me.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2019, 03:14:28 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Jokic
PG13
Giannis
Harden
Curry

Sure if you miss 20 games and are just way better statistically then the people below you, but missing 20 games when your competition doesn't and has better stats than you no way.  And sure the Raptors are on pace to win 58 games, but they are 35-16 (68.6%) with him and 15-6 (71.4%) without him.  Seems strange to boast a team record when the team is actually better without him being available for the game.

Missing 20 games when way better statistically - that's a fair point.

George being statistically better - disagree.  Not in 2019 when people look beyond the basic counting stats.   Of the 3 (Kawhi, George, Durant) of whom I think it's close:  Kawhi scores more points per minute/possession, has a highest PER, lowest TOV%, lowest foul rate, best WS/48, tied with George for TRB%

Durant  has highest TS%, eFG%, best block and assists figures across the board.

George has the best steal numbers, best rebound numbers, tied with Kawhi for TRB%, best WS, best BPM, best VORP.

I don't think you can look at per possession, per minute, or advanced stats and say 1 guy is clearly better than the other 2.

Then I think there's the immeasurable/reputation factors that go into it.  Kawhi's a better defender (not saying it's true, but that's what people think), and that TOR is Kawhi's team, while OKC is really Westbrook's, and GS belongs to Curry.  Leonard might also get a lift because people weren't sure if he'd be any good this year.  Are these fair? I don't know.  Do voters consider this?  Absolutely.

As far as record goes, I don't really know if your in the C's Team-Kyrie camp or not, but we see how terrible that argument is for him here, I think it's similar for Kawhi.  When things are close, it usually goes to the guy with the better record.  You think this is a strange take? While George is playing great, OKC at <50 wins just isn't a good look for him, especially if Westbrook is the All-NBA conversation too.

We also have a peak into media voting with the All-Star results (not perfect due to conferences and Centers included).  Kawhi finished 1st in East media vote (tied with Giannis and Embiid, really only a 3 person race for 3 spots), George finished a distant 4th (behind AD, LeBron, Durant, ahead of Jokic), in a 5 person race for the 3 spots.

I'm okay with George being in over Kawhi.  I just disagree with the notion that it's not close.  I think it's extremely close, not just with Kawhi but Durant too.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2019, 03:18:03 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Jokic
PG13
Giannis
Harden
Curry

2nd team:

Kyrie
Lillard
Kawhi
Durant
Embiid

3rd team:

Westbrook
Kemba
Lebron

I hear you, with Davis.

With Westbrook, I just can't get over the insane inefficiency. His eFG% is only 46% and he takes over 20 shots a game while also tuning it over 4.6 times a game. That knocks him below Kyrie, for me.
He also grabs over 11 boards and dishes out 10.5 assists and generally plays better defense than Irving, which is why I put him above.  Again though close.

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2019, 03:21:18 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Jokic
PG13
Giannis
Harden
Curry

George being statistically better - disagree.  Not in 2019 when people look beyond the basic counting stats.   Of the 3 (Kawhi, George, Durant) of whom I think it's close:  Kawhi scores more points per minute/possession, has a highest PER, lowest TOV%, lowest foul rate, best WS/48, tied with George for TRB%

George has the best steal numbers, best rebound numbers, tied with Kawhi for TRB%, best WS, best BPM, best VORP.

I don't think you can look at per possession, per minute, or advanced stats and say 1 guy is clearly better than the other 2.

Then I think there's the immeasurable/reputation factors that go into it.  Kawhi's a better defender (not saying it's true, but that's what people think), and that TOR is Kawhi's team, while OKC is really Westbrook's, and GS belongs to Curry.  Leonard might also get a lift because people weren't sure if he'd be any good this year.  Are these fair? I don't know.  Do voters consider this?  Absolutely.

As far as record goes, I don't really know if your in the C's Team-Kyrie camp or not, but we see how terrible that argument is for him here, I think it's similar for Kawhi.  When things are close, it usually goes to the guy with the better record.  You think this is a strange take? While George is playing great, OKC at <50 wins just isn't a good look for him, especially if Westbrook is the All-NBA conversation too.

We also have a peak into media voting with the All-Star results (not perfect due to conferences and Centers included).  Kawhi finished 1st in East media vote (tied with Giannis and Embiid, really only a 3 person race for 3 spots), George finished a distant 4th (behind AD, LeBron, Durant, ahead of Jokic), in a 5 person race for the 3 spots.

I'm okay with George being in over Kawhi.  I just disagree with the notion that it's not close.  I think it's extremely close, not just with Kawhi but Durant too.
George is probably going to win defensive player of the year this year (at the very least he is finishing in the top 3).  George is probably finishing 3rd in the MVP race.  I just don't see how he isn't on the 1st Team All NBA. 

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2019, 03:43:00 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
Jokic
PG13
Giannis
Harden
Curry

George is probably going to win defensive player of the year this year (at the very least he is finishing in the top 3).  George is probably finishing 3rd in the MVP race.  I just don't see how he isn't on the 1st Team All NBA.

IMO, he doesn't deserve to finish 3rd in MVP voting if they finish 5th in the West and he also has an all-NBA teammate.  Curry/Durant will be the only other 2 All-NBA teammates & they're better.  Jokic has less support and yet a better team.