Author Topic: Eurobasket 2009  (Read 29979 times)

Re: Eurobasket 2009
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2009, 08:00:26 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Being 2nd or 3rd is such big competitions is a success no argue. But Winner is only the 1st. You`ve said it yourself. "Achievement" I respect everyone for the efford but winner is only one imho. ...

That`s why i said "anything".

Spain is of course very succesful and talent wise one of the best European NT i can remember. but to feel "full" after 2 2nd places and one 1st ... i don`t find it reasonable and i hope that`s not why they look so bad so far.

The lost drive comes from bridman`s comment
Spain lacks fire after playing together so successfully for the last few years. And they think just showing up for games will be enough to win.

i too don`t think that this is why they appear like this.
gasol`s injury is of course a problem. calderon is also missing. But if spain needs Pau in the shoes of El Sid to win a game against UK then something is not right. Besides they are not the only team with problems. For example we are missing 2 of Ol. games startes and the 1st of the bench. And Greece isn`t known for the deep roster!

« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2009, 09:51:53 AM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 136
Being 2nd or 3rd is such big competitions is a success no argue. But Winner is only the 1st. You`ve said it yourself. "Achievement" I respect everyone for the efford but winner is only one imho. ...

That`s why i said "anything".

Spain is of course very succesful and talent wise one of the best European NT i can remember. but to feel "full" after 2 2nd places and one 1st ... i don`t find it reasonable and i hope that`s not why they look so bad so far.

The lost drive comes from bridman`s comment
Spain lacks fire after playing together so successfully for the last few years. And they think just showing up for games will be enough to win.

i too don`t think that this is why they appear like this.
gasol`s injury is of course a problem. calderon is also missing. But if spain needs Pau in the shoes of El Sid to win a game against UK then something is not right. Besides they are not the only team with problems. For example we are missing 2 of Ol. games startes and the 1st of the bench. And Greece isn`t known for the deep roster!

We are talking about a World Champion and Olympic Finalist squad (let's not forget the epic game against USA). I think this is a WINNING team, with results and facts. Obviously that doesn't guarantee anything at all in this current tournament.

And also Silver and Bronze medals are for winners too, that's why they were created. There's not a single winner like in normal competitions.

« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2009, 02:34:22 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
France finishes undefeated in its pool, it was unexpected! :o The team has won against Russia today, after another close game but this time Boris Diaw woke up and helped the tea at the end of the game.

Now the team can rest for a day and will have ton win only 1 game out of 3 to reach the quarterfinals.

« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2009, 03:15:15 PM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
Congrats Drucci, TP!

It wasn't so unexpected cause they have a very nice team :)

« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2009, 03:54:03 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
Congrats Drucci, TP!

It wasn't so unexpected cause they have a very nice team :)

Thanks for the TP, though I didn't deserve it since I wasn't on the court with the French team. ;D

Yeah the team is nice but is very inconsistent, that's why winning 3 straight games was unexpected!

« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2009, 05:14:47 PM »

Offline thebirdman

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 31
Well, the group that France is in is terrible! Anything but a 3-0 from them would be a surprise, IMO. Germany without Dirk, Kaman, Okulaja, Russia missing half their team and Latvia...

Spain played much better today. Slovenia forced overtime on a buzzer beater but fell just short. It is tough to play against Spain since you have to beat the refs too...Overall it was a good game, very intense but the arrogance of Spanish players is just unbearable...After this game I absolutely despise Rudy Fernandez. I have never seen a more cocky player...

« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2009, 05:59:27 PM »

Offline ToppersBsktball10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 27
  • Smooth As Silk.
Is Rubio playing?

« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2009, 06:59:38 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
meanwhile in america

Argentina beats Canada
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2009, 01:01:29 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
Spain played much better today. Slovenia forced overtime on a buzzer beater but fell just short. It is tough to play against Spain since you have to beat the refs too

I though i was the only one to think that !
Unfortunately i didn`t watch this game so i have absolutely no idea about Slovenia.

As for the rest ..
Disappointments : spain (very bad performance so far) and Lithuania.

best teams : i like Turkey! Turkoglu is in good shape (usualy NBAers are a little rusty this time of year). also Greece has played well and are very focused but still i don`t have high hopes cause it was an wasy group

biggest upset : FYROm qualify over Israel.

Rubio is playing but he is in the same spirit as the rest of the team.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 02:32:43 AM by ederson »

« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2009, 04:23:36 AM »

Offline thebirdman

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 31
Rubio hasn`t been playing well. He will never score a lot of points but he hasn`t been doing much else either...OTOH, Dragic was brilliant yesterday in the 4th quarter, PHO has a nice backup PG...

Turkey has some nice pieces though I have yet to see them play. Greece has been impressive but like you said ederson their group was extremely easy...

I am worried about Lithuania however. They barely beat Bulgaria yesterday but can get hot at any moment and we are playing them next...It will be a tough game...

« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2009, 05:19:49 AM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
Well, the group that France is in is terrible! Anything but a 3-0 from them would be a surprise, IMO. Germany without Dirk, Kaman, Okulaja, Russia missing half their team and Latvia...

Spain played much better today. Slovenia forced overtime on a buzzer beater but fell just short. It is tough to play against Spain since you have to beat the refs too...Overall it was a good game, very intense but the arrogance of Spanish players is just unbearable...After this game I absolutely despise Rudy Fernandez. I have never seen a more cocky player...

The refs? The last basket in regulation came after a quite noticeable travelling violation... I don't get the anti-Spain comments in this thread. Rudy has always had this body language, it's not new. I wouldn't say it's cockiness...unless you think that the USA teams are all cocky...do you? To me it's just confidence

« Reply #56 on: September 10, 2009, 05:21:31 AM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
Spain played much better today. Slovenia forced overtime on a buzzer beater but fell just short. It is tough to play against Spain since you have to beat the refs too

I though i was the only one to think that !
Unfortunately i didn`t watch this game
so i have absolutely no idea about Slovenia.

As for the rest ..
Disappointments : spain (very bad performance so far) and Lithuania.

Isn't that a contradiction?

« Reply #57 on: September 10, 2009, 05:58:10 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
the comment wasn`t for the game against slovenia but it was more general. For example against UK the refs did their best in the last mins

I don`t know how to express differently but i`ll try once more

Spain has the best and deepest roster in europe.
in this tournament so far they are very bad.

« Reply #58 on: September 11, 2009, 06:34:47 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
I was looking at the game program and how they knock out games will be and i noticed that the way the tournament is a little (if not a lot) unfair for the two teams of the 2nd that qualify last

These two teams will play the quarter final in other city (so a travel is needed) in 20-24 hours since their last game. At the same time their opponents will have a full day of extra rest!

It`s great for France and Greece(my prediction) but still i think it`s a flaw of the program

« Reply #59 on: September 11, 2009, 09:48:17 AM »

Offline Markeras

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 11

The whole "to beat Spain you have to beat the referees, too" and referee type of comments in general are very boring and dull . There's always someone outraged about no matter what, be it the Champions League, the European Championship, etc. At some point we should just forget the referees and assume that sometimes you get the calls and other times it will be your rival who benefits from bad refereeing.
Many people too often blame tournament winners for benefitting from referee protection but aren't just these teams, at the same time, the ones everyone considered to be the best ones anyway? Don't we consider Kobe and Lebron to be amongst the TOP5 best players in the league but at the same time we cannot stand that they get what we believe is EVERY call? To get the calls you have to earn some respect and only winners do earn it.

Anyway, concerning the Euro, I agree that Spain has been playing like @#*¤it, given the standards they had set in the last years. Problem for me is the loss of Calderon affects their play more than they would have known. Now there are 3 different point guards running plays, none of whom has played 30 minutes consistently and the situation is a bit of a mess. Things looked better against Slovenia but it is sort of scary how the Spanish team does not seem able to close out games.
Someone asked about Rubio. Too many turnovers so far. Not playing consistently enough in my opinion.

The competition looks strong this year except for Russia and Lithuania who have their B Teams playing. I would put my money on Turkey as of now, they have been solid and have executed games perfectly. Other than that, Spain will turn things around (I hope) and France and Croatia are the other teams I see with a chance. France because they have a deep team and are in a good rythm after having to qualify for the tournament last minute (this August) and Croatia because they seem to have put together somewhat of a competitive squad after a long time.
Further, I don't think the Greek team is deep enough and the Serbians -  although they completely killed Spain when we played them - are too young (22 years of age average)and I would be surprised if the Polish team, despite having looked great up until now was to make it past quarter finals. Same goes for Slovenia.