Author Topic: Knicks Believe Drafting RJ Hampton With 8th Pick Is 'A Reach,' Nets want at 19  (Read 2623 times)

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Knicks Believe Drafting RJ Hampton With 8th Pick Is 'A Reach,' Nets Interested At 19

The New York Knicks believe that selecting RJ Hampton with the No. 8 pick in the upcoming draft is "too much of a reach," sources told Marc Berman of the New York Post.

The Nets, meanwhile, are said to be "extremely interested" in drafting Hampton with the 19th pick.

Hampton has reportedly impressed teams during workouts with his work ethic and jump shot.

The Knicks, who have been linked with several players in the draft, will take into account any player's potential fit with RJ Barrett in their decision-making.

https://nypost.com/2020/11/01/rj-hampton-has-better-shot-at-nets-than-knicks-in-nba-draft/

New York Trade down to 14 with Boston would work out for both teams if Ainge likes someone around 8?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 01:22:56 AM by CelticsElite »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Knicks Believe Drafting RJ Hampton With 8th Pick Is 'A Reach,' Nets Interested At 19

The New York Knicks believe that selecting RJ Hampton with the No. 8 pick in the upcoming draft is "too much of a reach," sources told Marc Berman of the New York Post.

The Nets, meanwhile, are said to be "extremely interested" in drafting Hampton with the 19th pick.

Hampton has reportedly impressed teams during workouts with his work ethic and jump shot.

The Knicks, who have been linked with several players in the draft, will take into account any player's potential fit with RJ Barrett in their decision-making.

https://nypost.com/2020/11/01/rj-hampton-has-better-shot-at-nets-than-knicks-in-nba-draft/

New York Trade down to 14 with Boston would work out for both teams if Ainge likes someone around 8?
I'm begging that the lad Ainge likes at #8 is Tyrell Terry.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 395
Aside from the #14, what would you give up to move the #8?
- LilRip

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 552

I haven't seen any mock where Terry isn't available at #14.  No need to trade up.

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52

It would be haliburton at that spot.

Probably the best pg in the draft

Actually, there was "inside runors" that celtics had haliburton circled on the draft board a number of times 

And now recently been rumors of ainge wanting to bring Hampton in for a private workout.

1plus1 could be smokescreening nyk to trade down with us and not someone else so they can get rj and we can get haliburton
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 06:34:29 AM by Darth_Yoda »
'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

Online RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
If there's truth to this specific report, why would the Knicks leak this information?

I mean I can understand that you want to draw offers by spreading rumors that you might be interested in a trade down, but draft evaluations should stay indoors no matter what.

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

Even though it is highly likely he will be available at 14? Trading up to 8 only makes sense for someone like Okongwu or Hayes or Halliburton, and something out of character will need to occur for any of them to be available at 8.

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

I haven't seen any mock where Terry isn't available at #14.  No need to trade up.

I've seen a couple with him going at #12.

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52

Even though it is highly likely he will be available at 14? Trading up to 8 only makes sense for someone like Okongwu or Hayes or Halliburton, and something out of character will need to occur for any of them to be available at 8.

I think Haliburton and Okongwu both could be available at *, even Hayes

Edwards
Wiseman
Ball
Deni
And for some reason Obi seem to be the concensus top 5 at this time.

That leaves Hayes, Okongwu, Hayes, Williams and Okoro to gill out the next 5 spots.
'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

I've seen a bunch of rumours that the Suns are interested in him though (they have #10).
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166

Based on draft points, you can probably get  8 for 14 and 26 or 30.  These points are from a couple years ago, and is only one of many, but 8 is 1925 points, 14 is 1365 and 26 is 750 and 30 is 605.

I think they can get to 7 with Detroit.  They need players, so offer 14 and 26 to them for 7 (2060 pts).  The Pistons then get two potential starting players.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

Online CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
If there's truth to this specific report, why would the Knicks leak this information?

I mean I can understand that you want to draw offers by spreading rumors that you might be interested in a trade down, but draft evaluations should stay indoors no matter what.

I agree, I suspect the 10 workouts and extended scouting period is leading to a lot of misinformation being leaked. If you are a GM and like a player at this point is it even worth bringing them in for a workout? This just clearly tips your hand. Unless your torn between your rankings on 4-5 guys it just seems like a bad poker move.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 871

Based on draft points, you can probably get  8 for 14 and 26 or 30.  These points are from a couple years ago, and is only one of many, but 8 is 1925 points, 14 is 1365 and 26 is 750 and 30 is 605.

I think they can get to 7 with Detroit.  They need players, so offer 14 and 26 to them for 7 (2060 pts).  The Pistons then get two potential starting players.

I have seen similar draft value charts.  I believe that we could get all the way up to #4 from Chicago, potentially:

14, 26, 30  (Where we stand now)
   8, 26         (after 14+30 for Knicks' 8 )
   4               (after 8+26 for Chicago's 4 )

Essentially, 14 + 30 get us the #8 from the Knicks.  Then 8 + 26 get us to #4 from Chicago.  It is understood that this is all based on the "on paper" value of the picks but I would not have any problem seeing Danny try to consolidate these picks if he is really sure about who he is moving up to take.  The player taken at #8 or even at #14 could end up just as good as the player taken at #4.  This is the draft, it is a crap shoot.  Based on that, maybe having #8 and #26 for example is better than having #4, you get two rolls of the dice instead of one.

As I said, I think it would make things interesting if Danny did try to move up once or twice so for that reason alone, as a fan, I am kind of rooting for that.

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Turning 14 and 26 into 8 would be nice I reckon. I would love for us to be able to nab Haliburton, Hayes or Okongwu at that spot - whoever is available really.

A draft haul of Okongwu, Bane and Merrill would be perfect!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)