Author Topic: The Heat are as good as anyone in the East  (Read 10638 times)

Re: The Heat are as good as anyone in the East
« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2019, 03:36:08 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
What people are saying: statistical production of "replacement" level wings is much lower than "replacement" level bigs. So you can get extra value that way.

You seem to be arguing that because replacement level wings "exist" (and start for thin teams who needed to sign them) the above statement is clearly wrong.

???

« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2019, 03:52:34 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
What people are saying: statistical production of "replacement" level wings is much lower than "replacement" level bigs. So you can get extra value that way.

You seem to be arguing that because replacement level wings "exist" (and start for thin teams who needed to sign them) the above statement is clearly wrong.

???

This probably needs to be ironed out more before we make this official - probably in a different thread. As it stands now, there aren't a lot of superstar big men, but who knows when the tide will change again in the NBA? In the 2018 draft, 5 of the top 7 picks were big men. Simply having an okay replacement level big man may not be enough in the future and bigs may end up being at a premium again. Even just in 2016, we had bigs like Mozgov, Biyombo, Noah, Mahinmi, and R Anderson getting humongous contracts.

Also, this all started when I claimed Bam could one day be as *valuable* as guys like Brown and Tatum. That's because I see his potential as an athletic, versatile, All-Star/All-Defensive big man. I realize Pho wasn't comparing Len or Baynes (who is having an otherworldly season btw. If he keeps it going, he will be paid MUCH more next offseason) to Bam directly - I just apparently see him in a different tier than others.

« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2019, 05:00:21 PM »

Offline The Oracle

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 597

???

This probably needs to be ironed out more before we make this official - probably in a different thread. As it stands now, there aren't a lot of superstar big men, but who knows when the tide will change again in the NBA? In the 2018 draft, 5 of the top 7 picks were big men. Simply having an okay replacement level big man may not be enough in the future and bigs may end up being at a premium again. Even just in 2016, we had bigs like Mozgov, Biyombo, Noah, Mahinmi, and R Anderson getting humongous contracts.

Also, this all started when I claimed Bam could one day be as *valuable* as guys like Brown and Tatum. That's because I see his potential as an athletic, versatile, All-Star/All-Defensive big man. I realize Pho wasn't comparing Len or Baynes (who is having an otherworldly season btw. If he keeps it going, he will be paid MUCH more next offseason) to Bam directly - I just apparently see him in a different tier than others.
You are not alone in regard to Bam.  I have watched every Heat game since they signed KO and have been a huge Bam fan from day one.  He can defend 1-5 as good as just about anyone in the league.  He is an excellent ball handler, passer and decision maker.  Super high energy, great work ethic and teammate etc...  The only knock I can even think of is he is lacking a reliable 3 ball and he is clearly working on that.  Nearly a complete player and he is only 22.

« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2020, 12:22:19 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Started this thread back in November.  Good call Wiley!

Just read through the posts....mostly agreement that the Heat are a good team.  Only one dissenter.

« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2020, 12:31:11 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
This is why this year may have been a missed opportunity for the Cs. The Cs fans dwell on the youth of the team but do not look around to see that other teams have their own youth movements too. Miami is going to be a handful going forward. If Giannis goes there watch out. And if you think it cannot happen you have not been studying Pat Riley.

« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2020, 03:15:21 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
This is why this year may have been a missed opportunity for the Cs. The Cs fans dwell on the youth of the team but do not look around to see that other teams have their own youth movements too. Miami is going to be a handful going forward. If Giannis goes there watch out. And if you think it cannot happen you have not been studying Pat Riley.

Yes.  They worry me.  Even without Giannis they have a chance to improve on this year's team.

We can hope that Dragic is near the end and that Butler is tired after this year's effort (as he's getting up in years too), but, they could be a real problem for the foreseeable future.

We need the J's to really come on strong.

« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2020, 03:19:14 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Some real good stuff in this thread.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2020, 04:13:21 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Not worried about the Heat.

Butler is 32 now, and Dragic is 34. Giannis might consider them year after next, but its hard to see how Bam and Giannis both maximize their talents on the same team.  They will be tough, but I think time solves the issues that took us out this year.

I like our future better than anyone else's.