Author Topic: Greg Oden spotted in Waltham?  (Read 10219 times)

Re: Greg Oden spotted in Waltham?
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2013, 03:54:42 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I'll take that risk!

« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2013, 03:58:28 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
He made it pretty clear he is only interested in the Cavs or Heat.

While this is nice to see Ainge is pushing and working hard, I don't expect much of it, and if anything does happen it'll come in an overpay. 

He's made of glass.  Having talent doesn't matter if you only play 2 games a year.

This is simply not true. Read a few of the recent articles, he clearly states he has no idea where he will end up.

Plus, now that the Heat have signed Birdman, it is less likely they'll want to sign Oden.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2013, 03:58:31 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
He made it pretty clear he is only interested in the Cavs or Heat.

While this is nice to see Ainge is pushing and working hard, I don't expect much of it, and if anything does happen it'll come in an overpay. 

He's made of glass.  Having talent doesn't matter if you only play 2 games a year.

you got to understand the landscape changed when Sullinger went down. Oden would be looking at major minutes if he is cleared to pay.

He could take more money to be with the Cavs but he would be on the way to losing again.

After the andersen signing , he has no space to be in the heat lineup.

Next best thing is play for us, get a chance at some major minutes, learn from KG, play for a winning org and reap a better contract for start of next year.

« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2013, 04:09:51 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2013, 04:10:44 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
easy pass. he will get hurt

« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2013, 04:14:38 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I'd assume our offer is the full (not pro-rated) Bi-annual exception.

I don't believe we're allowed to offer a full bi-annual exception.  I believe the exception begins to pro-rate for all teams after January 10.

I could have sworn it was an either/or thing.  You're probably right though.  I haven't brushed up on my CBA facts in a while.

EDIT:  I just checked, and, you are correct, Roy.  We still have a leg up on Miami in terms of money, as they can not use this exception this season having used the tax-payer MLE.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 04:24:19 PM by KGs Knee »

« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2013, 04:14:47 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

What's the drawback even if in the worst case he gets injured? We are not contenders this year anymore, so would you prefer using one of the open roster spots on a guy who might develop into a future building block (Oden) or a guy who is washed up (Kenyon Martin for example) or a D-league player who at the maximum best scenario could be a 12th man on a mediocre NBA team?

« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2013, 04:15:45 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson

What's the drawback even if in the worst case he gets injured? We are not contenders this year anymore, so would you prefer using one of the open roster spots on a guy who might develop into a future building block (Oden) or a guy who will is washed up (Kenyon Martin for example?)

waste of $. we are already over the cap.

as terrible as collins is, at least he is able to play. would rather have a player that can actually play.  the guy has been an injury prone bust since college

« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2013, 04:17:41 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

What's the drawback even if in the worst case he gets injured? We are not contenders this year anymore, so would you prefer using one of the open roster spots on a guy who might develop into a future building block (Oden) or a guy who will is washed up (Kenyon Martin for example?)

what do you care? you're not paying his salary lol

« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2013, 04:21:05 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

as terrible as collins is, at least he is able to play. would rather have a player that can actually play.  the guy has been an injury prone bust since college

at this point Collins is much more of a waste of money. He will never help us win a championship, at least there is some chance Oden could do that in future.

Collins made sense before the Rondo and Sullinger injuries, now he's totally useless. We need to spend money and roster spots on prospects.

« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2013, 04:30:23 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson

at this point Collins is much more of a waste of money. He will never help us win a championship, at least there is some chance Oden could do that in future.

Collins made sense before the Rondo and Sullinger injuries, now he's totally useless. We need to spend money and roster spots on prospects.

how in the world can u say oden can at least give us a chance??  he is always hurt.  face it, the dude is a bust due to injuries. give me a steimsma type player any day of the week over oden

« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2013, 04:34:24 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

how in the world can u say oden can at least give us a chance??  he is always hurt.  face it, the dude is a bust due to injuries. give me a steimsma type player any day of the week over oden

Steimsma's and Collins' are useless when you have no stars for them to support. Oden didn't have his leg cut off or anything, he will be back in the NBA. The question is what does he have left in terms of athleticism. Players are recovering from knee surgeries much better nowadays. Look at Rubio, Shumpert, Rose, etc. Oden has as much of a chance or more of being a key player on a good team as Andrew Bynum does.

« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2013, 04:34:38 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I don't really see this as big news.

The Cs are keeping tabs on a player who has potential, but has been in and out of b-ball for a while bc of injuries. Many teams are keeping tabs on said player.

Would he help us much this year? Doubtful, but enough potential there to kick the tires...

EDIT: put differently, signing Oden this year is not going to be the difference between a championship run or not, but its just smart business to keep apprised of players out there on the FA market.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2013, 04:38:44 PM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86

The Celtics have met with free agent Greg Oden about a contract.
"We wanted to talk to Greg to see where he is physically," Danny Ainge said. The Celtics are extremely thin in their frontcourt with the loss of Jared Sullinger (back) for the season and even Jason Collins saw 11 minutes of action. Nothing is imminent and owners should just wait and see if anything develops.

Source: Boston Herald Feb 2 - 3:44 PM

« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2013, 04:42:11 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196