Author Topic: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)  (Read 375292 times)

Re: The Sixers and the 2017 draft - Filling out roster
« Reply #330 on: January 17, 2017, 02:48:23 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
I don't think Rozier has any meaningful trade value today. Hardly getting any minutes, and his production unimpressive.  I like him, but let's be real.

« Reply #331 on: January 17, 2017, 02:48:39 PM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 79
PG - (free agent)
SG - Monk
SF - Tatum
PF - Ben Simmons, Saric
 C - Embiid, J.Okafor

Maybe Jeff Teague as the free agent.

I think Bryan Colangelo will want some shooting and scoring on his team. I like Tatum here. I think he would be a good fit alongside Simmons and Embiid in the frontcourt. I went with Monk because I think he is likely to be available with their later pick.

There are like 5 quality pgs in this years draft... it would be sad if the 76ers didn't grab one , with one of their picks.

It looks like Philly is going to play themselves out of a top 5 pick ... and three of those five PGs are likely to in the top five. So take Fultz, Ball and Smith off the table.

That leaves Fox and Ntilikina. I think Fox is a bad fit next to Simmons because he needs the ball in his hands and he cannot shoot / play off the ball. That leaves the international man of mystery Ntilikina.

If Philly continue to win and end up outside the top 5, I think their PG options will be fairly limited.

good points...especially with Simmons also playing as a point forward

Rozier could actually be a decent fit for them (with your prediction of the 76ers drafting Tatum, Monk)

Noel for Rozier type trade could benefit both teams
If we draft Ball or Fultz then Ainge has to move Rozier for something. There just won't be any playing time for him.

However, I think Noel's value is better then Rozier's so I don't see it being a 1 for the other trade. I also still hold onto the idea that the Sixers can get everything they need in this draft. They don't need to trade a nice piece like Noel for Roz just to get a guard.

« Reply #332 on: January 17, 2017, 02:49:30 PM »

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 195
Explícame por favor esta obsesión con los 76ers
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com

« Reply #333 on: January 17, 2017, 02:51:15 PM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
I don't think Rozier has any meaningful trade value today. Hardly getting any minutes, and his production unimpressive.  I like him, but let's be real.
I agree. I do think if given the opportunity he could be a pretty good player. He's just in a bad situation that is about to get worse next year if we get Ball or Fultz.

Re: The Sixers missed their sell high moment
« Reply #334 on: January 17, 2017, 02:52:48 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321
Philly is playing in Washington right now with Okafor filling in for Embiid (second night of a back-to-back)... Okafor just went to the line and Philly fans in attendance started chanting "MVP'.  What an entertaining season.

Lol what idiots

It was a 350 person bus trip, and they had planned to do MVP chants every time a Sixers player went to the line.

Trust me, those fans are about as out on the future of Okafor as anybody. As am I, because he stinks.

So are they out on both Okafor AND Noel?

For all of the high picks, I expected more production by now.

As for the Celtics, I expected more out of Smart. It doesn't seem as bad b/c the Celtics are winning. Re: Jaylen, I need to see him for a couple more years before forming an opinion.

« Reply #335 on: January 17, 2017, 02:56:20 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203

Muchas cervezas...poca verguenza.   ;D ;D ;D

« Reply #336 on: January 17, 2017, 03:01:54 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
Philly is playing in Washington right now with Okafor filling in for Embiid (second night of a back-to-back)... Okafor just went to the line and Philly fans in attendance started chanting "MVP'.  What an entertaining season.

Lol what idiots

It was a 350 person bus trip, and they had planned to do MVP chants every time a Sixers player went to the line.

Trust me, those fans are about as out on the future of Okafor as anybody. As am I, because he stinks.

So are they out on both Okafor AND Noel?

For all of the high picks, I expected more production by now.

As for the Celtics, I expected more out of Smart. It doesn't seem as bad b/c the Celtics are winning. Re: Jaylen, I need to see him for a couple more years before forming an opinion.
I believe Randy and most 76ers fan actually really like Noel a lot and hope they figure out a way to keep him. He can correct me if this is incorrect.

On the flip side, most of my opinions on Okafor (that several people here have called me insane for or compared it to suggesting Lebron could be traded for a first rounder) actually come from repeated comments I have heard from 76ers fans and beat writers along with watching him play.

« Reply #337 on: January 17, 2017, 03:08:16 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

lol

« Reply #338 on: January 17, 2017, 03:12:22 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
I love discussing the 76ers (mainly okafor and noel) as much as anyone but the amount of time obsessing over them is getting extreme even for me. We got some people thinking they will make the playoffs and other people thinking they are getting two high lottery picks. There is too much fluidity in the situation to worry about it every single day imo.
I agree.  I'm sick of people creating all of these threads.  It's tiresome having to correct people over and over again.

I think that there should be a thread just for people who want to talk about the 76ers.

« Reply #339 on: January 17, 2017, 03:13:36 PM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167

Well it's better than all these negative posts about the Celtics.

« Reply #340 on: January 17, 2017, 03:15:58 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Oh, and for a little perspective, Embiid is looking real good but he's 22 and will turn 23 this season.

Embiid is averaging 19.6 points, 7.6 rebounds and 2.3 blocks.  22-year-old rookie Alonzo Mourning averaged 21 points, 10.3 rebounds and 3.5 blocks.

But wait!  Embiid is on a minutes and game restriction.  He's averaging 25 minutes a game and is on pace to only play about 50 games.  Mourning averaged 34 minutes and played 78 games as a rookie.  Well, the per 36 numbers have Embiid at 28 points, 10.8 rebounds and 3.3 blocks and Mourning at 22.3 points, 11 rebounds and 3.7 blocks.  But per 36, Embiid is also averaging 19.7 shots a game to Mounings 15.2.

And Embiid has still played fewer games in the NBA than he did his only year in college.

I'd kill for Boston to have a center as good as Mourning but if you suck for half a decade and at the end of if you've got Mourning and a better version of Lamar Odom to show for it, was it really worth it?

Mike
Wow.  So you're saying Embiid who has maybe 100 organized basketball games on his belt in his entire life and is working off two seasons of injury rust that continues to have his minutes limited as he gets into shape - is already playing comparable basketball to a Hall Of Fame player who came into the league healthy after 4 years of College basketball back when College basketball actually had serious competition?   That's pretty amazing.

I came into this season expecting Embiid to be a long-term star who in this first recovery season would maybe average 15-20 minutes per game with like 8 points, 4 rebounds and a block   I figured if he averaged close to what Andre Drummond did as a rookie (7.9 points, 7.6 rebounds, 1.6 blocks, 1 steal) it would have to be considered a massive win given how raw Embiid was coming out of college and the fact he's been bedridden for two years.   But now you're telling me the kid is already playing on the same level as a hall of fame player... that's incredible.
You are lying.  You said Embiid would be the rookie of the year.
8 points 4 rebounds is probably the rookie of the year.  Pretty pathetic draft class thus far.

No NBA ROY has averaged less than 10 points. Not even before they instituted the shot clock and scores were much lower. Overall, the average ROY has averaged a hair under 19.8 PPG and 9.0 RPG.
Sure, but aside from Embiid no rookie is averaging 10 ppg.  The closest one to Embiid is actually Saric, who as we know was also a 2014 draftee.  Saric is averaging 9.8 ppg.  Brogdon at 9.3 ppg is the highest 2016 draftee.  Thus if Embiid was averaging 8 points and 4 rebounds he might very well be the front runner for rookie of the year.  Obviously Embiid is not averaging those numbers though so he can save the award from being a mockery this year.
This may be the case but before a season starts nobody predicts the rookie of the year will average 8pts and 4 rebounds.  That's the point that you are missing.

If Embiid was averaging 8 and 4 he'd be a huge disappointment. He's a third year rookie who has already learned the lifestyle, the conditioning needed to be in the NBA, and has improved in drills AND he would have been the top pick in his draft class if healthy.

« Reply #341 on: January 17, 2017, 03:17:56 PM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney

lol
Classy.

You do realize this thread was started in the subsection "around the NBA"? The section that you can talk about any other team you want. the great thing about this forum is being able to talk basketball with other people with as much knowledge as everyone else about the game. Let's not start up a p---ing war on what we can or can't talk about. Just find a different thread you like. If you find a pro Sixers thread in a section it shouldn't then alert the mods but this thread is not harming anyone.

« Reply #342 on: January 17, 2017, 03:25:50 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Oh, and for a little perspective, Embiid is looking real good but he's 22 and will turn 23 this season.

Embiid is averaging 19.6 points, 7.6 rebounds and 2.3 blocks.  22-year-old rookie Alonzo Mourning averaged 21 points, 10.3 rebounds and 3.5 blocks.

But wait!  Embiid is on a minutes and game restriction.  He's averaging 25 minutes a game and is on pace to only play about 50 games.  Mourning averaged 34 minutes and played 78 games as a rookie.  Well, the per 36 numbers have Embiid at 28 points, 10.8 rebounds and 3.3 blocks and Mourning at 22.3 points, 11 rebounds and 3.7 blocks.  But per 36, Embiid is also averaging 19.7 shots a game to Mounings 15.2.

And Embiid has still played fewer games in the NBA than he did his only year in college.

I'd kill for Boston to have a center as good as Mourning but if you suck for half a decade and at the end of if you've got Mourning and a better version of Lamar Odom to show for it, was it really worth it?

Mike
Wow.  So you're saying Embiid who has maybe 100 organized basketball games on his belt in his entire life and is working off two seasons of injury rust that continues to have his minutes limited as he gets into shape - is already playing comparable basketball to a Hall Of Fame player who came into the league healthy after 4 years of College basketball back when College basketball actually had serious competition?   That's pretty amazing.

I came into this season expecting Embiid to be a long-term star who in this first recovery season would maybe average 15-20 minutes per game with like 8 points, 4 rebounds and a block   I figured if he averaged close to what Andre Drummond did as a rookie (7.9 points, 7.6 rebounds, 1.6 blocks, 1 steal) it would have to be considered a massive win given how raw Embiid was coming out of college and the fact he's been bedridden for two years.   But now you're telling me the kid is already playing on the same level as a hall of fame player... that's incredible.
You are lying.  You said Embiid would be the rookie of the year.
8 points 4 rebounds is probably the rookie of the year.  Pretty pathetic draft class thus far.

No NBA ROY has averaged less than 10 points. Not even before they instituted the shot clock and scores were much lower. Overall, the average ROY has averaged a hair under 19.8 PPG and 9.0 RPG.
Sure, but aside from Embiid no rookie is averaging 10 ppg.  The closest one to Embiid is actually Saric, who as we know was also a 2014 draftee.  Saric is averaging 9.8 ppg.  Brogdon at 9.3 ppg is the highest 2016 draftee.  Thus if Embiid was averaging 8 points and 4 rebounds he might very well be the front runner for rookie of the year.  Obviously Embiid is not averaging those numbers though so he can save the award from being a mockery this year.
This may be the case but before a season starts nobody predicts the rookie of the year will average 8pts and 4 rebounds.  That's the point that you are missing.

If Embiid was averaging 8 and 4 he'd be a huge disappointment. He's a third year rookie who has already learned the lifestyle, the conditioning needed to be in the NBA, and has improved in drills AND he would have been the top pick in his draft class if healthy.
worth noting that draft class contained megahyped prospects Andrew Wiggins and Jabari Parker.

Embiid was probably the best prospect of the last decade before his injury.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #343 on: January 17, 2017, 03:49:56 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915

lol
Classy.

You do realize this thread was started in the subsection "around the NBA"? The section that you can talk about any other team you want. the great thing about this forum is being able to talk basketball with other people with as much knowledge as everyone else about the game. Let's not start up a p---ing war on what we can or can't talk about. Just find a different thread you like. If you find a pro Sixers thread in a section it shouldn't then alert the mods but this thread is not harming anyone.

I didn't find this thread to be pro or con Sixers, but seriously, if you're going to open a thread that has "Sixers" in the title, it's probably going to be about the Sixers. For those who do not want to read about the team, I'd advise avoiding the thread.

Mike

« Reply #344 on: January 17, 2017, 04:03:28 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2933
You know they can't trade Noel on draft night, correct?  It's the February trade deadline or nothing for him.
Good point. They should resign him as Embiid's backup and look to trade Okafor to move up in the draft.

He's not going to re-sign to be a backup in Philly.  Failing to trade him in a month will have been a mistake.
He's restricted so he doesn't have a choice right?

He can sign a contract with another team.  The Sixers can match it, but if they do he can't be traded for a year, and they will have a very, very unhappy player on their hands.  There's been a thaw in the relationship the past few weeks, but I'm sure that thaw came with a promise that they would trade him elsewhere.

If he can't get a free agent contract to his liking because teams think the 76ers will just match, he can sign a one-year contract for $5.9 million and be able to veto any trade before he becomes an unrestricted free agent.

The most they'll ever be able to get for Noel at this point occurs during this trading season.  Otherwise his value drops and/or he's untradable.

This situation has probably been explained hundreds of times on this blog already, yet people still come to other conclusions regarding Noel, even when there's quite a bit of evidence that verifies this turn of events. I can't wait until he's traded so all this nonsense can stop.