Author Topic: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)  (Read 375320 times)

Re: The Sixers missed their sell high moment
« Reply #450 on: January 24, 2017, 10:33:14 AM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
Steve Kyler's weekly Monday chat from yesterday, 1/23/17:

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/chat/nba-rumors-chat-with-steve-kyler-12317/

Mark: What’s Philly’s asking price in a Nerlens Noel trade? Any teams close to getting a deal done here?

Steve Kyler: I continue to hear that teams are not overly interested in giving up an asset for the privilege to pay Nerlens in July. Maybe that changes, but this story has been the same all year. I spoke with people near that situation yesterday and there is nothing on deck with Nerlens.

and

Joe: Sixers still talking to teams? Also, who do you see likely to be moved first, out of Noel & Okafor?

Steve Kyler:  Yes, Sixers still active in the market. They are not close to anything from what I understand. I think in the end both Noel and Okafor are moved. The urgency is to move Noel. If it gets to the summer they lose the ability get something for him. They have more time on Okafor.

Pretty clear to me that Sixers are showcasing Noel now to get anything they can for him. Still think POR does something because they're pretty desperate, but it would likely be for picks since they don't have much talent outside of their guards and Sixers really need talent more than picks.

Can't see Danny spending for a rental myself with the chance to lose him. Better bet is that Danny risks nothing now and takes a flyer on him as an RFA if Danny has any interest in Noel (and he may well not). Also think Sixers will move on from Okafor too soon enough.

This will be debunked by the Sixers fans on this thread in 1,2,3.....

All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)
« Reply #451 on: January 27, 2017, 02:35:20 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Take at look at this excellent breakdown video as to what has been going on with the Sixers.  They are 8-11 or 12 in the last 20 games... Their starting lineup of embiid, covington, ilyasova, stauskus, mcconell might look soft on paper (outside on embiid) but it has worked really well

Pretty crazy top picks like Noel, Saric are coming off the bench. Okafor not even playing much. With Simmons still sidelined

It took a while but looks like all that tanking is starting to pay off. And looks more and more like their pick will be outside of top 10 (2017 draft)..

Excellent breakdown video.
https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=rXKCqwOZXRA

Re: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)
« Reply #452 on: January 27, 2017, 02:40:12 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2933
Still don't see them making the playoffs. I think they'll certainly challenge it, but with them going to trade Noel, Embiid not playing back to backs, and the Simmons transition going to hurt their play a bit when he gets back, I think they'll just miss the playoffs.

« Reply #453 on: January 27, 2017, 02:45:24 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Still don't see them making the playoffs. I think they'll certainly challenge it, but with them going to trade Noel, Embiid not playing back to backs, and the Simmons transition going to hurt their play a bit when he gets back, I think they'll just miss the playoffs.

True.. didnt know embiid doesnt play back to backs

I dont think they will trade noel. Because he can provide many functions for that starting lineup that embiid does..

Okafor is definitely someone the 76ers are dying to trade

Once embiid can play without missing a game , that will be bad news for the east... Incredible talent

« Reply #454 on: January 27, 2017, 02:56:24 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I think that having some grown ups in that lineup is more helpful than most are acknowledging.  Ilyasova, Rodriquez, Henderson, and Covington are providing much needed experience and steady leadership.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #455 on: January 27, 2017, 03:01:23 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
I think that having some grown ups in that lineup is more helpful than most are acknowledging.  Ilyasova, Rodriquez, Henderson, and Covington are providing much needed experience and steady leadership.

Yeah, it's not the tanking that's paid dividends, other than Embiid, it's that they have some decent vets.  McConnell has been much better than anyone anticipated.

« Reply #456 on: January 27, 2017, 03:02:03 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
For a moment there I thought it was Larbrd33 who started this thread.
But....no the Sixers ain't makin the playoffs. Its still a long way but ....it just ain't happening.

Its like saying the Cavs are not gonna be the no.1 seed in the East because they are slumping and have lost 5 of 7.
Yup the Sixers have won more games in the last 2 weeks but hey..every team goes thru slumps and even bad team go thru good streaks. But things will even out eventually and theworld goes back to normal...Cavs still number 1...Cs number 2 and Sixers still out of the playoffs.

« Reply #457 on: January 27, 2017, 03:02:50 PM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
I'm not paying attention to the sixers yet because they have accomplished nothing.
January is a transition month for a lot of teams with the allstar games coming and trade deadline approaching. Sixers is taking this opportunity to make some noise, like Miami and many bottom teams are playing decent ball too.

« Reply #458 on: January 27, 2017, 03:03:12 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Never say never in the East.   Certainly plausible.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #459 on: January 27, 2017, 03:04:20 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Ilyasova has been a great fit.  He is the exact type of PF they need.  I think Saric will be that guy someday, but a foreign rookie just can't do what a vet like Ilyasova can do.  It is a shame for them that Bayless got hurt, as he is a much better PG than McConnell (and they could really use his shooting).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #460 on: January 27, 2017, 03:10:28 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Never say never in the East.   Certainly plausible.
This year never say never applies to the West
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #461 on: January 27, 2017, 03:13:02 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Ilyasova has been a great fit.  He is the exact type of PF they need.  I think Saric will be that guy someday, but a foreign rookie just can't do what a vet like Ilyasova can do.  It is a shame for them that Bayless got hurt, as he is a much better PG than McConnell (and they could really use his shooting).

Ilyasova is a perfect fit because he can shoot the ball

Saric is very inconsistent and not confident in his jump shot

So I wonder how Ben Simmons will change the starting lineup dynamics....

I mean if this odd starting 5 lineup they have now , keep on trucking ....  Ben Simmons weighs it down, there could be a possibility Simmons could be available down the road? Same for Saric who is a similar type of player (not as explosive, but point power forwards that can't shoot)

I can actually see the 76ers having a good amount of interest in Olynyk this summer if they want to continue the "Ilyasova at pf theme"

« Reply #462 on: January 27, 2017, 04:12:25 PM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57

Yeah, it's not the tanking that's paid dividends, other than Embiid, it's that they have some decent vets.  McConnell has been much better than anyone anticipated.

Embiid has been the difference between the team having a warriors level net rating and the team playing at a 2015-16 Sixers net rating... (in 2017 that is)

It's not the vets, it's Embiid. Well that and Okafor not playing.

« Reply #463 on: January 27, 2017, 04:15:28 PM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57

Ilyasova is a perfect fit because he can shoot the ball

Saric is very inconsistent and not confident in his jump shot

So I wonder how Ben Simmons will change the starting lineup dynamics....

I mean if this odd starting 5 lineup they have now , keep on trucking ....  Ben Simmons weighs it down, there could be a possibility Simmons could be available down the road? Same for Saric who is a similar type of player (not as explosive, but point power forwards that can't shoot)

I can actually see the 76ers having a good amount of interest in Olynyk this summer if they want to continue the "Ilyasova at pf theme"

On what planet does Ben Simmons replacing TJ McConnell in the starting lineup slow this team down?

He's not gonna be available.

« Reply #464 on: January 27, 2017, 04:16:50 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
While I don't enjoy all the discussions over the years on how the Celtics should be more like the Sixers because the process is obviously going to work, I think it would be a lot of fun to see them make the playoffs.

Embiid is really fun to watch, Noel has looked really good recently and I can't wait to see Simmons. If the Sixers could deal Okafor for a guard then I think they are one of the best 8 teams in the east regardless of what their record says. Had Philly been playing like they are now the entire year they would be firmly in the playoff chase.

Watching the current C's win with great scoring, it is nice to see a team win with defense, it reminds me of last year's Celtics team which I loved.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19