Author Topic: Proof that the lottery is fixed  (Read 4853 times)

Re: Proof that the lottery is fixed
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2017, 05:42:31 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
The OP has a 43% chance of proving himself correct.  He lists 13 out of the 30 teams which is 43%.  However, that is still not proof that the lottery is fixed.  OTOH, if one of the 17 teams not listed gets the #1, then that does prove he is incorrect.

I'll take it a step further,  the OP can create this list every year before the lottery for the next 10 years.  If one of the teams on his list is chosen every single year for 10 years, then that still does not prove he is correct.  There is a difference between correlation and causation.

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2017, 05:49:23 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
The OP has a 43% chance of proving himself correct.  He lists 13 out of the 30 teams which is 43%.  However, that is still not proof that the lottery is fixed.  OTOH, if one of the 17 teams not listed gets the #1, then that does prove he is incorrect.

I'll take it a step further,  the OP can create this list every year before the lottery for the next 10 years.  If one of the teams on his list is chosen every single year for 10 years, then that still does not prove he is correct.  There is a difference between correlation and causation.
This list was obviously a joke.

Furthermore, you are aware that only 14 teams participate in the lottery?
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2017, 06:22:05 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
A video to support the OP's claim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYb84lcDXyY

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2017, 06:33:05 PM »

Offline cousytoheinsohn

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 33
I think we all know that the draft lottery is fixed. A lot of people have gone to great length to deny it, but seriously, how did the Knicks end up with Ewing? Or Orlando wins it two years in a row? Cleveland wins it twice, coincidentally, right as LeBron James joins the team? This is a star's league, and it is the stacked teams that generate money for the NBA. They want to make sure that the draft picks end up in the spots that will make the league the most cash.

The lottery itself is a great money-maker. It's a show with all kinds of conspiracies behind it and, the more people who watch the drawing, the better the advertising revenue.

I thought that I would do the forum a favor. Normally, we wait until after the lottery to show how the lottery was fixed. This year, however, as a public service, I am going to show you how it's manipulated before it even takes place, thus offering proof, once and for all, that it is fixed.

I've developed a line of reasoning based on the potential outcomes. When the drawing takes place and a winner is declared, simply pick the team from the list below for an explanation of why it was fixed for that particular team. No muss, no fuss, no debate. Naturally, the Celtics are excluded, since they would not participate in such chicanery.

Without further ado, if following teams win the lottery, here's why the NBA chose them...

Phoenix: The NBA has had trouble generating significant interest in the southeast US. As football moves into Las Vegas, it risks falling farther behind. A star at Phoenix would generate some excitement in the region.

Lakers: Duh, it's the Lakers. Lonzo Ball in LA would be a goldmine.

Philadelphia: Philly has yet to be rewarded for firing Hinkie, particularly since Simmons was out the entire season and Embiid remains injury-prone. The pick this year would be their payment for dumping The Process.

Dallas: Mark Cuban is a showman, first and foremost. Imagine what entertainment value (and dollars) he could bring with another star.

Orlando: Another city that has had difficulty generating interest recently, as it competes with the Mouse. But the back-to-back picks in the early 90s shows that it has potential, and a new GM could come in and fix it up.

New York: Duh, it's the Knicks.

T-Wolves: The NBA wants to reward the Wolves because they did it the right way. Rebuilt, groomed young players and used their draft picks well. A strong Minnesota team would prove that it's not hopeless to be a small city in the NBA. Furthermore, the Wolves changed their logo this year. That's more licensing money for the league.

Sacramento: See Philly, who will be the recipient of Sac's draft pick if it wins the lottery.

New Orleans: Every team needs a Big 3. So far, I count two on New Orleans, both big men. Imagine what this would do for the city if it brought a winning basketball team to The Big Easy.

Charlotte: No better way for the NBA to show its opposition to discrimination than by giving the win to the city that passed the original bathroom law.

Detroit: There would be no greater metaphor for the rebirth of motor city. The NBA would gain influence in a city that could undergo an urban renaissance.

Denver: See Minnesota, minus the uniforms.

Miami: Pat Riley. Also, Mickey Arison has promised Adam Silver free cruises for life if they get the pick.

Mike

Outstanding stuff, Mike.

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2017, 06:19:32 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
Since when is Phoenix in the southeast? lol Anyways carry on.  :)

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2017, 06:58:37 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I never trusted David Stern or liked him for that matter. So during his time I always said it was fixed. But Since than I've heard to many owners talk about the process and no longer believe that. Still like the conversation though.  ;D

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2017, 07:41:30 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
If the lottery is fixed, why in the world would Orlando have won it twice in a row?  It's hard to come up with a better example of an obscure small market franchise.

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2017, 08:12:11 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I know that the OP's tongue was in his cheek....TP....made me laugh.

And, I agree.... to say that the lottery is rigged all the time is a fantasy.

However, with so much at stake, to think that it has never been tampered with at least on a few occasions seems naive to me.

As naive as to think that the NBA had nothing to do with the Kings losing that 2002 Game 6 to the Fakers.

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2017, 08:36:48 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Because the lottery was fixed for New York and Cleveland does not mean it is always fixed.

Simple solution to this issue, just conduct the draw in public. Really that simple.