Author Topic: 2024 NBA Season and Playoffs  (Read 551024 times)

Re: 2024 NBA Season and Playoffs
« Reply #6525 on: April 29, 2024, 10:00:42 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1625
  • What a Pub Should Be
How long until KD passive aggressively demands another trade?

It's definitely coming.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #6526 on: April 29, 2024, 10:05:16 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3032
  • On To Banner 18!
I know there's criticism to go around with Beal, the Suns defense, etc. But isn't Durant supposed to be this HOF-player that elevates guys and teams around him, and someone who is up there with the likes of Kobe/Jordan/Lebron? He certainly hasn't looked it since his Golden State days.

And then literally just 30 minutes after they get swept, Shams just happens to come out with those quotes. Can't tell me Durant wasn't prepared, like he knew they were getting swept last night.

He isn't an alpha, which is fine, but his legacy is gonna be someone who just won two rings joining a 73-9 team. His tenures with the Nets and Suns were extremely disappointing and he's definitely gonna join another team this offseason. Good luck to them.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #6527 on: April 29, 2024, 11:03:15 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1558
Beal was 10 of 23 from 3 in the series. Booker and Durant together combined for 12 of 34.  That seems to be the much larger problem. Durant who is one of the best shooters of all time took just 12 3's making 5.  Shoot the dang ball Kevin.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #6528 on: April 29, 2024, 11:28:07 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1625
  • What a Pub Should Be
I would not want to be a Suns fan right now.  Organization mortgaged the future and the owner can't seem to get out of his own way. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #6529 on: April 29, 2024, 11:55:54 AM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1696
Beal was 10 of 23 from 3 in the series. Booker and Durant together combined for 12 of 34.  That seems to be the much larger problem. Durant who is one of the best shooters of all time took just 12 3's making 5.  Shoot the dang ball Kevin.

He blames everybody else for it.  Already chirping about 'fit' and 'role' through Shams. 

More and more he's coming across as a malcontent who responds poorly to adversity.  He's never been a leader.  Nowadays I question whether he's a good teammate at all. 

« Reply #6530 on: April 29, 2024, 12:36:49 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 265
  • International Superstar

He blames everybody else for it.  Already chirping about 'fit' and 'role' through Shams. 

More and more he's coming across as a malcontent who responds poorly to adversity.  He's never been a leader.  Nowadays I question whether he's a good teammate at all.

He's at least as important to winning a championship as Harrison Barnes.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #6531 on: April 29, 2024, 01:26:52 PM »

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1401
What a difference a year makes to the Suns. A year ago:

How Suns Smartly Navigated New Luxury Tax Rules
ESPN broke down exactly how the Phoenix Suns navigated a new CBA before it even took place.

Ishbia took over the helm in the winding hours of the NBA's trade deadline last season, worked out a deal to land Kevin Durant and hasn't stopped the overhaul since.

The Suns used to be known for their stingy pockets under previous owner Robert Sarver, rarely pushing themselves over the luxury tax.

Now, they're the No. 3 team in the league when it comes to money spent on the books, falling just short of the Golden State Warriors and Los Angeles Clippers according to Spotrac.

Phoenix added the talents of Bradley Beal via trade while also accumulating a handful of strong veterans in free agency on minimum contracts, and they did so in a unique way.

https://www.si.com/nba/suns/analysis/how-phoenix-suns-smartly-navigated-new-luxury-tax-rules

A year later, the Monday morning quarterbacks at ESPN are saying something very different:

How the Phoenix Suns can salvage their future this offseason is a mystery

The NBA has occasionally seen teams go all-in only to have their seasons end in disappointment. But never before has the league seen the situation the Phoenix Suns find themselves in after a crushing first-round series sweep loss to the Minnesota Timberwolves on Sunday night.

Their reality is the poker analogy ends here. Because of how deeply they've mortgaged their future and the new collective bargaining agreement rules that clamp down on the ability to alter its roster, Phoenix cannot address this season's shortcomings by simply buying back in or even hoping for a different hand.

Never before has a team been this devoid of options to alter its roster going into an offseason.

The high-risk/high-reward acquisitions of Kevin Durant and Bradley Beal to build a star trio with Devin Booker has left the franchise out four future first-round picks and six future second-round picks. Phoenix has also sent out four first-round pick swaps, effectively zeroing out its draft assets.

With next season's payroll already exceeding $200 million, the Suns will be in the NBA's second apron of the luxury tax, subjecting them to heavy restrictions on trades and free agency. Also, they can't freely re-trade Beal, even if they wanted to reformat their top three stars, as he retained the no-trade clause he had with the Washington Wizards.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/40045196/2024-nba-playoffs-how-phoenix-suns-salvage-their-future-mystery

Last season they were super smart in how they build their team in such a day that took advantage of the CBA, a year later they are dunces with the CBA a chain weighing them down. Ultimately it's all about results - win and you're a hero, lose and you're an idiot  :police:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #6532 on: April 29, 2024, 02:05:17 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1397
Spectacular game by Brunson.

Meanwhile Embiid just continues to warrant the criticism. Yes he dominated much of the game but only ONE single point in the entire 4th quarter. And he looked extremely tired and was walking up and down the court in the final minutes. Not just me, even the ABC crew said it out loud too that Embiid looked exhausted. Sixers with only 3 points the final 4 minutes and a ton of misses in the 4th.

Also I got to give love to Josh Hart. He's just relentless on both ends and someone I would love on my team. Underrated.

I’ve never liked Embiid. That being said he’s actually earned my respect…not really for his play because he honestly looks horrible out there to me but the fact he’s out there playing at all. I’d say 90 percent of todays nba would’ve just packed it in for the year.

I agree, I don't like the flopping or some of the trolling he has done as a guy that has not won, but he absolutely really wants to win and I respect that.

« Reply #6533 on: April 29, 2024, 02:25:00 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
I know there's criticism to go around with Beal, the Suns defense, etc. But isn't Durant supposed to be this HOF-player that elevates guys and teams around him, and someone who is up there with the likes of Kobe/Jordan/Lebron? He certainly hasn't looked it since his Golden State days.

And then literally just 30 minutes after they get swept, Shams just happens to come out with those quotes. Can't tell me Durant wasn't prepared, like he knew they were getting swept last night.

He isn't an alpha, which is fine, but his legacy is gonna be someone who just won two rings joining a 73-9 team. His tenures with the Nets and Suns were extremely disappointing and he's definitely gonna join another team this offseason. Good luck to them.

They are pretty Lame quotes, but he is kind of in the same point of his career as Lebron. He is 3 years younger, but also had a bunch of injuries and Lebron is the best aging athlete of anyone in the world. So Durant at 36 isn't good enough to win a title as your best player (much like Lebron now). I would be curious if either one of them realize it. Durant almost certainly doesn't.

« Reply #6534 on: April 29, 2024, 02:25:56 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
What a difference a year makes to the Suns. A year ago:

How Suns Smartly Navigated New Luxury Tax Rules
ESPN broke down exactly how the Phoenix Suns navigated a new CBA before it even took place.

Ishbia took over the helm in the winding hours of the NBA's trade deadline last season, worked out a deal to land Kevin Durant and hasn't stopped the overhaul since.

The Suns used to be known for their stingy pockets under previous owner Robert Sarver, rarely pushing themselves over the luxury tax.

Now, they're the No. 3 team in the league when it comes to money spent on the books, falling just short of the Golden State Warriors and Los Angeles Clippers according to Spotrac.

Phoenix added the talents of Bradley Beal via trade while also accumulating a handful of strong veterans in free agency on minimum contracts, and they did so in a unique way.

https://www.si.com/nba/suns/analysis/how-phoenix-suns-smartly-navigated-new-luxury-tax-rules

A year later, the Monday morning quarterbacks at ESPN are saying something very different:

How the Phoenix Suns can salvage their future this offseason is a mystery

The NBA has occasionally seen teams go all-in only to have their seasons end in disappointment. But never before has the league seen the situation the Phoenix Suns find themselves in after a crushing first-round series sweep loss to the Minnesota Timberwolves on Sunday night.

Their reality is the poker analogy ends here. Because of how deeply they've mortgaged their future and the new collective bargaining agreement rules that clamp down on the ability to alter its roster, Phoenix cannot address this season's shortcomings by simply buying back in or even hoping for a different hand.

Never before has a team been this devoid of options to alter its roster going into an offseason.

The high-risk/high-reward acquisitions of Kevin Durant and Bradley Beal to build a star trio with Devin Booker has left the franchise out four future first-round picks and six future second-round picks. Phoenix has also sent out four first-round pick swaps, effectively zeroing out its draft assets.

With next season's payroll already exceeding $200 million, the Suns will be in the NBA's second apron of the luxury tax, subjecting them to heavy restrictions on trades and free agency. Also, they can't freely re-trade Beal, even if they wanted to reformat their top three stars, as he retained the no-trade clause he had with the Washington Wizards.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/40045196/2024-nba-playoffs-how-phoenix-suns-salvage-their-future-mystery

Last season they were super smart in how they build their team in such a day that took advantage of the CBA, a year later they are dunces with the CBA a chain weighing them down. Ultimately it's all about results - win and you're a hero, lose and you're an idiot  :police:
well both are in fact true. They did add players in a smart way last summer, but that did hamstring them and lock them in this summer.  Had they had better success that latter wouldn't have mattered but because they played so poorly it is a mich greater issue.

« Reply #6535 on: April 29, 2024, 02:26:47 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

They are pretty Lame quotes, but he is kind of in the same point of his career as Lebron. He is 3 years younger, but also had a bunch of injuries and Lebron is the best aging athlete of anyone in the world. So Durant at 36 isn't good enough to win a title as your best player (much like Lebron now). I would be curious if either one of them realize it. Durant almost certainly doesn't.
Lebron does. The problem is he wrongly thought Davis could be that guy and Davis is not.

« Reply #6536 on: April 29, 2024, 02:43:32 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
Something I was thinking about. Do people think Morey and the 76ers are actually regretting not giving Harden the money now? The 76ers could clearly use a third scorer behind Maxey and Embid and none of the guys they got back are making a huge impact (Covington out, Morris gone, Batum had one really nice stretch). But even worse Harden is having a pretty great playoff series basically single handedly keeping the Clippers season alive averaging 26-7 on 54% shooting 50% from 3. With the east appearing pretty wide open outside the Celtics, was this a mistake?

« Reply #6537 on: April 29, 2024, 02:45:35 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White

Lebron does. The problem is he wrongly thought Davis could be that guy and Davis is not.

Do you blame Davis for this series? I dont have his numbers in front of me but feel like he is averaging 32-17 with his usual good defense. Some of his second halves have not been good, but that seems to more from the Lakers guards gunning (Reaves and Russell mainly) and not getting him the ball.

« Reply #6538 on: April 29, 2024, 03:29:43 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Davis in 4th quarter

Game 4 - 1 shot, 2 points, 4 rebounds, 1 assist, -4
Game 3 - 1 of 3, 3 points, 4 rebounds, +1
Game 2 - 0 of 1, 0 points, 1 rebound, -11
Game 1 - 3 of 8, 10 points, 6 rebounds, 2 blocks, +0

He has disappeared in the 4th quarter in all but Game 1, which of course is the game they were losing by double digits entering the quarter.  A complete and utter nonfactor down the stretch of close games.

Davis is a #2, not a #1.  He isn't a closeout guy. Lebron wanted to pass the torch, but Davis isn't able to take it.

« Reply #6539 on: April 29, 2024, 03:49:51 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
Davis in 4th quarter

Game 4 - 1 shot, 2 points, 4 rebounds, 1 assist, -4
Game 3 - 1 of 3, 3 points, 4 rebounds, +1
Game 2 - 0 of 1, 0 points, 1 rebound, -11
Game 1 - 3 of 8, 10 points, 6 rebounds, 2 blocks, +0

He has disappeared in the 4th quarter in all but Game 1, which of course is the game they were losing by double digits entering the quarter.  A complete and utter nonfactor down the stretch of close games.

Davis is a #2, not a #1.  He isn't a closeout guy. Lebron wanted to pass the torch, but Davis isn't able to take it.

With big guys though do you really blame it entirely on Davis disappearing? Or is there some blame to the coach and the guards? Like he can only get in the post and yell for the ball for the most part. I don't think he is some crazy alpha that just takes over games, but I do think some of this is the Lakers not really having a true point guard. I do agree with you overall that he isn't a true number one though. I am just defending him a bit in this particular series cause I feel like he and Lebron showed up.