Author Topic: Newsday: Lebron James has decided to join Miami  (Read 6228 times)

Re: Newsday: Lebron James has decided to join Miami
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2010, 01:56:01 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
bad move for LeBron if he actually did this.  He'd be A-Rod to Wade's Jeter.  Not sure how it works, really.  Hurts his legacy even if they win titles.   I don't even fear a Miami team with Wade/Bosh/Bron.  On paper I guess they are dominant... it doesn't really excite me.  If it was anywhere other than Miami it would excite me more.   Miami?  Really?  Something about that franchise just screams 2nd rate to me.  Why not just stay in Cleveland.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 02:04:10 AM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2010, 02:04:58 AM »

Offline Banner_18

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 8
Exactly how reliable are these sources?

If this is true, how the hell is Miami going to have any kind of team with 3 players taking all of the salary.

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2010, 02:05:20 AM »

Offline MiamiCelticfan

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 29
Lebron is just going to get trashed. Joining Wade in Miami knowing full well no matter how many titles they win he'll always be one behind Wade. Unreal

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2010, 02:06:55 AM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
Marketing ploy.

LeBron tells select group he's signing with Miami. Miami fans watch on ESPN

LeBron tells different select group he's signing with New York. New York fans watch on ESPN.

Repeat for Cleveland and Chicago.

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2010, 02:09:51 AM »

Offline MiamiCelticfan

• The Green Kornet
Lebron is saying his heart was in Cleveland but he didn't want to sign a 6 yr deal, be 31 with bad knees and no rings.

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2010, 02:11:12 AM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
It would be a coup by Miami if Lebron indeed chooses them over the other teams. The bigger question is, will Spoelstra be capable of managing the egos of this so called "new" big three?

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2010, 02:12:16 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
bad move for LeBron if he actually did this.  He'd be A-Rod to Wade's Jeter.  Not sure how it works, really.  Hurts his legacy even if they win titles.   I don't even fear a Miami team with Wade/Bosh/Bron.  On paper I guess they are dominant... it doesn't really excite me.  If it was anywhere other than Miami it would excite me more.   Miami?  Really?  Something about that franchise just screams 2nd rate to me.  Why not just stay in Cleveland.

If all he cares about is winning then this is a good move.  They learned to play unselfish ball on the USA team.   Eventually they will be able to put the right pieces around them i.e shooters, rebounders, defenders..  

You are right though Miami does scream second rate franchise to me.  The music and lights during games there are all over the top and I wouldn't exactly call Miami fans diehards.  

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2010, 02:17:18 AM »

Offline FallGuy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 70
Not convinced this is true but it would be a fascinating experiment if all three ended up down in Miami.

A bit of a silver lining - given the headaches they may have putting a team around their big three, Miami may find their best chance at a title is 2012 and onwards. Which would lineup with Boston's window. This 'super-team' may not play heavily into the outcome of next season's playoffs.

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2010, 02:28:38 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3062
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Pfft are we supposed to be scared?

Great can we just skip the televised announcement now
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2010, 02:31:02 AM »

Offline jason macleod

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 3
would Stern allow this?  I know he could never come outright and say NO but it would seem to go against the greater good of the NBA
Been Bleeding Green Since 1986

« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2010, 02:47:00 AM »

Offline TheGreenGoblin

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 27
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5363055

Wednesday, July 7, 2010
Sources: James leaning toward Heat
By Chris Broussard
ESPN The Magazine

All indications are that LeBron James is leaning toward signing with the Miami Heat Thursday night, according to several sources with knowledge of the situation.

Barring a late change of heart, sources say James has decided to join buddies and fellow All-Stars Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh to form a potential NBA powerhouse.

Chris Paul, one of James' best friends, has urged him to stay and let new Cleveland Cavaliers coach Byron Scott coach him, according to sources. With such strong sentiment around him to not go to Miami it's possible James could alter his decision.

James' family and friends are divided over his decision to play in Miami, according to sources. Opinions range from understanding his desire to play with All-Star teammates, to feelings that he is selling himself short by joining "Wade's team,'' to concerns that by playing on such a power-packed squad he will hurt his brand even if he wins championships.

Some in James' camp would like him to stay in Cleveland, and James indeed worked hard to help the Cavaliers improve their roster. He tried to sell Bosh on the idea of coming to Cleveland, but the 6-11 forward was adamant that he did not want to play in northeast Ohio.

While sources close to James insist that his heart is in Cleveland and that remaining with the Cavaliers was his preferred choice, they say he had concerns about signing a six-year deal there and ending up "31 years old, with bad knees and no title."

James will make his announcement from the Boys and Girls Club of Greenwich, Conn. during an hourlong special on ESPN at 9 p.m. ET on Thursday called "The Decision." Sales of sponsorship for the program will go to the Boys and Girls Club of America.

James, Wade and Bosh had been discussing joining forces in Miami for several weeks, according to the sources. ESPN.com reported on June 28 that the trio met in Miami on Saturday, June 26. However, sources now say the players actually met in Cleveland roughly a week earlier.

James averaged 29.7 points for Cleveland last season, Wade averaged 26.6 points for Miami and Bosh averaged career-bests of 24.0 points and 10.8 rebounds for Toronto.

By joining the Heat, James will leave nearly $30 million on the table, unless the Cavaliers agree to an unlikely sign-and-trade. The Cavaliers could give him a six-year, $128 million contract, while Miami can only offer him a five-year deal worth up to $99 million.

Wade does not know what the terms of the next contract he'll sign with Miami will be, nor when he'll sign the paper. Bosh doesn't have terms of his next deal done either. It's all contingent on what James says Thursday night, and Wade insisted he knows nothing about what the two-time MVP will say or where he'll be saying it from.

Contracts cannot be officially signed until Thursday.

Asked why he didn't agree to a sign-and-trade that would have paired him with James in Cleveland, Bosh said he decided that Miami was the best choice available to him.

"I wasn't sure if LeBron was coming back [to Cleveland] and I just wanted to leave that decision up to him," Bosh said. "I wanted to choose the best situation for me and my family and Miami was the best decision for me."

The salary cap released for the 2010-11 season on Thursday was just over $58 million, about $2 million more than teams expected, and that extra money could likely be yet another free-agency edge for the Heat.

"We'll see what the best thing is for us to win," Wade told The Associated Press. "I'm going to make a lot of money, no matter what happens. I've been blessed. I'm not counting every dollar and every cent. Let's sit down, let's see what the best thing is for us, for the long haul."

Miami came into free agency with what turned out to be roughly $46 million of cap space, not including $16.5 million or so earmarked for Wade, thanks to years of avoiding just about any deal where money would have been committed for the 2010-11 season.

"We want to build a dynasty," Riley had told fans entering free agency.

By scheduling his special show and essentially putting a deadline on himself to make an announcement, it would appear that James has made up his mind. If he does, however, change his decision, the Cavaliers, the New York Knicks and Chicago Bulls would all be possibilities, according to the sources.

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2010, 02:53:55 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
At least the Lakers wouldn't be the favorites anymore.

Plus, I think my disgust for LeBron would be off-set for my relative neutrality towards Bosh and my fondness for Dwyane Wade.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2010, 03:00:11 AM »

Offline MiamiCelticfan

• The Green Kornet
Just heard broussard on the ESPN radio. He said this decision was made around 2 weeks ago, ironically around the time Stephen A. Smith broke his story. So all these meetings was just a big front just to add some suspense and drama to the situation. I hated the heat before, I hate them even more now.

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2010, 03:05:28 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
would Stern allow this?  I know he could never come outright and say NO but it would seem to go against the greater good of the NBA
Stern has no authority to bar player movement, so of course not.
 ::)

Definitely bad for ticket sales to have 2 of the league's biggest attractions on 1 team. Lebron would also spend his prime on Wade's team.

« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2010, 03:38:31 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
if I didn't hate the Lakers and Phil Jackson so much... I'd almost say I'd root for Kobe and Pau vs that team if they met in the finals.  Something about Wade and Bron together just seems cheap.  Luckily they don't have an annoying fanbase to get frustrated with.  Miami doesn't really have basketball fans.  If it was Wade, Bron and Bosh on NY... we'd have to hear a bunch of cocky New Yorkers bragging about how good they are.