Author Topic: starting to resemble last yrs team  (Read 4653 times)

Re: starting to resemble last yrs team
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2020, 11:03:49 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I mean at least we have players who're taking responsibility instead of throwing everyone else under the bus because he won a championship by hanging on tight to a GOAT candidate's ass a few years ago.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2020, 07:57:41 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I don't even think the premise of this thread is even remotely true.

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2020, 10:27:15 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Other than a total lack of team chemistry and selfish play by the starters (seriously, just listen closely to the analysts) some of the bench players are well below average talent-wise. Players that should be getting their feet wet are playing meaningful minutes. (Williams, Wannamaker, Greene, etc.)

The Celtics are an organization treading water praying that in a few years Tatum and Brown become what they envisioned. The question is, will that vision be enough to challenge for a ring?

Unfortunately a few players on the Celtics are playing for the name on the back of the jersey, and not the front.

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2020, 11:14:33 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Marcus Smart not knowing his role is not like last year at all. That wasn't even close to a problem last year, he was one of the few players who really cut back his ball time to enable all the other players who wanted touches. This year he's ramped up the shots and touches again, just wasn't the case last year.

I don't think the team resembles the team last year at all, other than they've lost a bunch of games lately. How they've been losing is very different too. Remember all the big blown leads last year? This year's team its definitely about the slow starts instead.

The complaints about the bench are weird. Wanamaker has been awesome this year and is a 30 year old veteran, meanwhile Williams and Green are playing largely 3rd string or lower minutes. That's a solid description of getting your feet wet...

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2020, 11:16:22 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
DANNY must TRADE HAYWARD or Brad should BENCH him for his own good.
I'm sure that playing Semi or Javonte more would be wonderful.... ::)

He was great against Detroit, had a bad game shooting wise especially against the Bucks. He wasn't even forcing those 3s though, they were largely within the flow of the offense. I'm not surprised he seemed the one most effected by the back to back though given his sore foot which I think is still bothering him.

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2020, 11:17:28 AM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
Even the record says the Celts are better this season compared to last season.

After 40 games, last season the Celts were 25-15, this season the Celts are 27-13.

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2020, 11:22:41 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
I don’t buy this take at all. This team isn’t like last year’s team. The chemistry is definitely better, there’s less uncertainty, and Kemba is an amazing leader

The talent level on this team though is lower, mainly because we lost Horford and replaced a bunch of our bench guys with inferior role players.

The biggest similarity lies in that our PG is our best player and stopping him is the most obvious key to beating us.
- LilRip

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2020, 12:10:46 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
no defense,lots of hero ball,always blaming refs,brad stevens with crazy lineups on the court and marcus smart not knowing his role.last year all over again the last 3 weeks

I honestly dont see this at all.

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2020, 12:46:17 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
no defense,lots of hero ball,always blaming refs,brad stevens with crazy lineups on the court and marcus smart not knowing his role.last year all over again the last 3 weeks

1. disagree with thread title completely.

2. the defense needs some work...slumping a bit.

3.  hero ball needs some work (better leadership of when to go one on one needed....example...the Celtics did an amazing job of getting the game back to a 10 point deficit against the Bucks..that is not the time to initiate dazzle dazzle plays that lead to turnovers...that's the time to tighten defense even more and take care of the ball on offense...which didn't happen).

4.  crazy lineups....don't think that's the problem

5.  Love Smart...he's not the problem.  He's playing his butt off....though he is frustrated right now.

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2020, 02:07:38 PM »

Offline BMark

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16
Their focus and defensive intensity improved in the second half of the Bucks' game. This shows that when they are ready to play the Cs can compete with anyone.  It is odd that the team lacks focus and intensity so often in the first quarter of games.

« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2020, 02:54:20 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
This is not a legitimate contender; I think I've resigned myself to that idea.  We still have one too many perimeter players that need the ball to be effective and don't play as well working off of others.  Unlike many people, I'd be willing to trade any of the three (Tatum, Brown, or Hayward), depending on what was best for the team.  And I don't necessarily think that what's best for the team is to wait for tatum and brown to reach their prime.

All that said, this year's team is still significantly better than last years.  We removed three (rozier, morris, kyrie) ball dominant guys but could use another shake up.

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2020, 03:39:17 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

The complaints about the bench are weird. Wanamaker has been awesome this year and is a 30 year old veteran, meanwhile Williams and Green are playing largely 3rd string or lower minutes. That's a solid description of getting your feet wet...

I suppose the impression that the bench is bad comes from the fact that there's only one player who has come off the bench more than he's started who is averaging more than 6.4 points per game -- Kanter.

Smart, due to injuries, has started 21/31 games.

Of course, this team isn't built to rely on its bench for scoring.  They have 3 players averaging 20+ PPG and a fourth player averaging 16 points per game.  The team is structured in a way that should allow Brad to keep at least 2 of the top 4 scorers on the floor at all times.  The bench should never have to rely on one of the true "bench" guys to create offense basically at all.

In the playoffs, I don't expect the bench to be a real issue unless one of the top 4 guys is hurt.

As you point out, the team isn't losing games because they're blowing leads or failing in crunch time.  They're not getting killed in second or third quarters, by and large. 

They're losing games because they get down big in the 1st quarter and the team as a whole struggles to score.  There isn't a neat and tidy answer as to why that is happening or what needs to change. 

Probably the answer is the team just needs to get some more rest and get the top guys healthy.  Of course, that's less satisfying than proclaiming that the roster is fatally flawed and that Danny needs to make some moves.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2020, 03:46:54 PM »

Offline Spicoli

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
when does the coach start to get some blame? im losing faith in that aspect of it.

Exactly. The posters on this forum will blame everyone except the coach. The coach is getting a free pass even though:

He never stops the opposing teams runs

He plays guys one game then don't play them the next. No consistency.

He allows the team to get into major holes at the beginning of every game.

He goes super small but never EVER goes super big. Why hasn't he ever played Theis and Kanter at the same time?

The list goes on and on with Stevens. The one constant in this season and last is the coach and his inability to get these guys to play at a higher level. Isn't that the coaches responsibility?

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2020, 04:15:30 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
when does the coach start to get some blame? im losing faith in that aspect of it.

Exactly. The posters on this forum will blame everyone except the coach. The coach is getting a free pass even though:

He goes super small but never EVER goes super big. Why hasn't he ever played Theis and Kanter at the same time?

The list goes on and on with Stevens. The one constant in this season and last is the coach and his inability to get these guys to play at a higher level. Isn't that the coaches responsibility?
I wrote this in another thread but it bears repeating given your constant calls that Stevens isn't given guys consistent minutes, roles or has a hierarchy on the team

Out of the top 7 guys of Kemba, Brown, Tatum, Hayward, Theis, Smart and Kanter, the Celtics have lost 46 player games to injury or illness. There have only been 5 games out of the 40 they have played that all 7 rotation players have been healthy enough to play. There have been multiple games of at least two of those players being out and a couple of games or so of three of those players missing the game together.

Add in long term injuries to Langford, Timelord and Poirier and having a bunch of inconsistent rookies, and what you see is a coach trying his best to balance the development of young players getting rotation minutes, with needing to win while overcoming the loss of a rash of injuries to top rotation players, while attempting to keep some semblance of consistency in roles and minutes through it all

I think Stevens has done a great job of getting this team to 27-12 considering the injuries and being stuck with one of the youngest and most inexperienced benches in the league. His hierarchy is clear:

1A Kemba
1B Tatum
1C Brown
4 Hayward
7 Smart
8 Kanter
9 Theis
10 Everyone else.

And if someone is out, everyone move up. Next man up.

As for playing two centers together(Theis and Kanter) when you only have two healthy centers that deserve minutes, well, that is just not good coaching or very smart.

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2020, 04:35:51 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

I wrote this in another thread but it bears repeating given your constant calls that Stevens isn't given guys consistent minutes, roles or has a hierarchy on the team

Out of the top 7 guys of Kemba, Brown, Tatum, Hayward, Theis, Smart and Kanter, the Celtics have lost 46 player games to injury or illness. There have only been 5 games out of the 40 they have played that all 7 rotation players have been healthy enough to play. There have been multiple games of at least two of those players being out and a couple of games or so of three of those players missing the game together.

Add in long term injuries to Langford, Timelord and Poirier and having a bunch of inconsistent rookies, and what you see is a coach trying his best to balance the development of young players getting rotation minutes, with needing to win while overcoming the loss of a rash of injuries to top rotation players, while attempting to keep some semblance of consistency in roles and minutes through it all

I think Stevens has done a great job of getting this team to 27-12 considering the injuries and being stuck with one of the youngest and most inexperienced benches in the league. His hierarchy is clear:

1A Kemba
1B Tatum
1C Brown
4 Hayward
7 Smart
8 Kanter
9 Theis
10 Everyone else.

And if someone is out, everyone move up. Next man up.

As for playing two centers together(Theis and Kanter) when you only have two healthy centers that deserve minutes, well, that is just not good coaching or very smart.

This is true, but it also begs the question: Will this team EVER have all of its top players healthy for a significant stretch of time? My guess is no. Every time a guy returns, another gets dinged up within a couple games.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis