Author Topic: 2017-2018 start of season lineup- why did CBS not stick with it?  (Read 2454 times)

Re: 2017-2018 start of season lineup- why did CBS not stick with it?
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2019, 01:31:28 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I said it before and I'll say it again.  Aron Baynes is not our best player, but he's the most important.  His presence in the middle allows everyone else to defend their own guy instead of this sagging off I see.

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2019, 02:42:45 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
This has always been my favorite starting lineup.

Brad is kind of a weak coach.
I congratulate you and like-minded fellow CS's on the audacity to call someone 100.000.000 more knowledgable (Stevens) than yourself out.
It takes a tremendous amount of subjectivity to do so.

Every fan knows that they know more than the coach and would do a better job if we were just given the opportunity [dang it]!  :angel:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2019, 02:53:14 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144

I congratulate you and like-minded fellow CS's on the audacity to call someone 100.000.000 more knowledgable (Stevens) than yourself out.

Every fan knows that they know more than the coach and would do a better job if we were just given the opportunity [dang it]!  :angel:

Should be thankful I am not the GM.

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2019, 04:12:45 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Even if Stevens did stick with Baynes as a starter, it would have lasted just 25 games. Baynes first extended time out was after he played 25 of the first 30 games. He most likely would have come off the bench to ease back into playing upon return and he was only back for like two weeks before going out for another extended time with injury, return and then have the current sprain that puts him out until the 2nd round of the playoffs.

Complain about not having that starting lineups but between Horford and Baynes injuries, that lineup was probably only good for about 20-25 games this year, at best.

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2019, 04:25:42 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
The lineup of  Baynes Horford Tatum Brown Irving  - went on that terrific winning streak at the start of 2017-2018 season

It's a valid question (Kyrie-Brown-Tatum-Horford-Baynes) and I haven't seen anyone take a real shot at answering yet.  I don't have an answer.
the simplest and most likely answer is that Brad WAS putting out his starting line-up from 2017-2018 which was Kyrie, Brown, Hayward, Tatum and Horford.  line-up changed the next game by adding Smart in place of Hayward after the injury. 

Brad was probably looking to resume the original line-up he put on the floor to start last season.  wasn't until this season progressed that he saw Hayward was clearly not ready for heavy minutes and Brown, Tatum and Rozier had regressed from where they left off from last year's playoffs.

Yeah but then that original Hayward lineup proved to be bad.  Then we mixed up the starting rotation taking 2 guys out and putting 2 guys in, and at least 1 of those new starters (Morris) now pretty much sucks.  Only for about two weeks or so did we have great starters with the Marcuses added.

We never have actually been that good this year so it doesn't make sense to me why we never went back to the Baynes at C lineup, which took us on a win streak last year and to the #2 seed with worse overall talent than this year.  Also, Al is a PF.  We really haven't achieved jack this year, ever, vs. last year with that Baynes lineup.  Now I happily call Triboy out when appropriate and I think his opinions on Kyrie are foolish, but this is right on.
I'm not disagreeing with a line-up change that worked in the past but the question posed by the OP was why didn't Brad stick with it for this season.

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2019, 05:24:30 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460

I have been watching the NBA since before Brad Stevens was born.

It takes more than knowledge to make a good coach. It takes balls.

I much prefer Popovich.

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2019, 12:12:05 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
The lineup of  Baynes Horford Tatum Brown Irving  - went on that terrific winning streak at the start of 2017-2018 season

It's a valid question (Kyrie-Brown-Tatum-Horford-Baynes) and I haven't seen anyone take a real shot at answering yet.  I don't have an answer.
the simplest and most likely answer is that Brad WAS putting out his starting line-up from 2017-2018 which was Kyrie, Brown, Hayward, Tatum and Horford.  line-up changed the next game by adding Smart in place of Hayward after the injury. 

Brad was probably looking to resume the original line-up he put on the floor to start last season.  wasn't until this season progressed that he saw Hayward was clearly not ready for heavy minutes and Brown, Tatum and Rozier had regressed from where they left off from last year's playoffs.

Yeah but then that original Hayward lineup proved to be bad.  Then we mixed up the starting rotation taking 2 guys out and putting 2 guys in, and at least 1 of those new starters (Morris) now pretty much sucks.  Only for about two weeks or so did we have great starters with the Marcuses added.

We never have actually been that good this year so it doesn't make sense to me why we never went back to the Baynes at C lineup, which took us on a win streak last year and to the #2 seed with worse overall talent than this year.  Also, Al is a PF.  We really haven't achieved jack this year, ever, vs. last year with that Baynes lineup.  Now I happily call Triboy out when appropriate and I think his opinions on Kyrie are foolish, but this is right on.
I'm not disagreeing with a line-up change that worked in the past but the question posed by the OP was why didn't Brad stick with it for this season.

I guess it would be the same reason that had a lot of us here expecting a Kyrie-Jaylen-Jayson-Gordon-Al starting lineup. Just check this thread from last summer and look at the responses to the OP's suggestion that Hayward start on the bench. Vast majority of responses were with that starting lineup, which was the starting lineup from the first game 2017-18. And this is just one thread, there's plenty more from that time of the year on this forum (pages 65-85).

https://forum.celticsstrong.com/index.php?topic=96184.15

Obviously hindsight is 20/20, we only knew what we knew at the time. In hindsight the OP was right and Hayward wasn't ready, and not only that, Jaylen started the season slow and Mook started the season shooting 45% from 3. Baynes was injured for 3 of the first 6 games of the season and then Brad was trying to get the original starting 5 to work, then Baynes broke his hand after Game 30 or 31.

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2019, 08:51:21 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

I guess it would be the same reason that had a lot of us here expecting a Kyrie-Jaylen-Jayson-Gordon-Al starting lineup. Just check this thread from last summer and look at the responses to the OP's suggestion that Hayward start on the bench. Vast majority of responses were with that starting lineup, which was the starting lineup from the first game 2017-18. And this is just one thread, there's plenty more from that time of the year on this forum (pages 65-85).

Obviously hindsight is 20/20, we only knew what we knew at the time. In hindsight the OP was right and Hayward wasn't ready, and not only that, Jaylen started the season slow and Mook started the season shooting 45% from 3. Baynes was injured for 3 of the first 6 games of the season and then Brad was trying to get the original starting 5 to work, then Baynes broke his hand after Game 30 or 31.
Main reasoning for the Kyrie-Jaylen-Tatum-Hayward-Horford lineup was HURR DURR >30 million bench player though, which was a bit dumb.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2019, 11:06:34 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White

Main reasoning for the Kyrie-Jaylen-Tatum-Hayward-Horford lineup was HURR DURR >30 million bench player though, which was a bit dumb.

I don't think that was the main consideration, he was just going back to his lineup from 2017-18. If he had started 2017-18 with Hayward on the bench and then put him into the starting lineup to start 2018-19 then that would lend more weight to that theory. I think he went with what he thought was the most switchable lineup to play small ball but a couple of the pieces (Hayward and Brown) started the season very slowly and he had to make a change.