Author Topic: Are We Sure Marcus Smart Is Going To Get A Ton In RFA??  (Read 13379 times)

Re: Are We Sure Marcus Smart Is Going To Get A Ton In RFA??
« Reply #75 on: December 19, 2017, 01:35:01 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Imagine the coach told him to shoot less, or use the stat padding guy over him, or his teammate don't play defense, i don't think he will be happy in those places and happiness is important for millionaires
Yes, imagine someone actually trying to coach him... nah, we'll take 4 three pointers a game at 30% clip instead.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #76 on: December 19, 2017, 01:42:07 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

I agree. I probably said that incorrectly. Many of those guys are better, but all of them are going to be vying for the same money Smart wants. Many of them will stay with their teams, but many of those teams are the teams with money (Bulls, Sixers, Grizz, Jazz).

The one team I'm looking at is the Hawks, but I don't think he fits their team or Budz system. I have yet to hear of a good fit from a team that would have legit interest.

Lakers (47 miillion in practical space)? They are vying for bigger names and Smart doesn't make sense next to Ball. They'd rather have KCP.
Bulls (38 million)? They are more likely to resign Lavine and stick with Dunn, who has been playing well.
Hawks (32 million)? Bad fit in Budz system and next to Schroeder.
Sixers (31 million)? They will target shooters first (Bradley, Reddick, KCP).
Dallas (31 million)? Bad fit next to Smith, although they are the scariest one to me. The Mavs probably look to resign Noel, Curry, and Mejiri first, too.
Houston (20 million)? They sign Paul and another piece with that space.
Utah (19 million)? Hood and Exum need to be resigned. Plus, he doesn't make sense next to Mitchell.
Magic (16 million)? They will resign Gordon first.
Suns (15 million)? Jackson does what Smart would do, although he may be a decent fit next to Booker.
Nets (15 million)? They probably target Harris or Okafor first with this money.
Kings (12 million)? They need to move forward with Fox, not take away minutes from him. They need shooters on the wing first.
Pacers (9 million)? Maybe, but once we get down to this number, are we sure Smart wouldn't rather play for a championship for 8 million?
Pelicans (7 million)? Maybe, but once we get down to this number, are we sure Smart wouldn't rather play for a championship for 8 million?
Knicks (6 million)? Maybe, but once we get down to this number, are we sure Smart wouldn't rather play for a championship for 8 million?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 01:53:18 PM by DefenseWinsChamps »

« Reply #77 on: December 19, 2017, 01:59:15 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think he might get a few offers from teams over the cap for a full MLE, but given the scarcity of good teams with cap space, I am not seeing him getting big offers from good teams.

He may get a big offer from a bad team, but the question arises, does Smart want to play on a bad team? He doesn't seem too keen on losing.

4 years at somewhere between $9 -11 million sounds right from Ainge.

« Reply #78 on: December 19, 2017, 02:01:40 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269

I agree. I probably said that incorrectly. Many of those guys are better, but all of them are going to be vying for the same money Smart wants. Many of them will stay with their teams, but many of those teams are the teams with money (Bulls, Sixers, Grizz, Jazz).

The one team I'm looking at is the Hawks, but I don't think he fits their team or Budz system. I have yet to hear of a good fit from a team that would have legit interest.

Lakers (47 miillion in practical space)? They are vying for bigger names and Smart doesn't make sense next to Ball. They'd rather have KCP.
Bulls (38 million)? They are more likely to resign Lavine and stick with Dunn, who has been playing well.
Dallas (31 million)? Bad fit next to Smith, although they are the scariest one to me. The Mavs probably look to resign Noel, Curry, and Mejiri first, too.
Utah (19 million)? Hood and Exum need to be resigned. Plus, he doesn't make sense next to Mitchell.
Suns (15 million)? Jackson does what Smart would do, although he may be a decent fit next to Booker.
Kings (12 million)? They need to move forward with Fox, not take away minutes from him. They need shooters on the wing first.
Pacers (9 million)? Maybe, but once we get down to this number, are we sure Smart wouldn't rather play for a championship for 8 million?
Pelicans (7 million)? Maybe, but once we get down to this number, are we sure Smart wouldn't rather play for a championship for 8 million?
Knicks (6 million)? Maybe, but once we get down to this number, are we sure Smart wouldn't rather play for a championship for 8 million?

TP for the list. I only have one issue. I'm 99.99% sure Noel is not re-signing with Dallas because of how bad things went this summer and they've barely played him this season.

« Reply #79 on: December 19, 2017, 02:45:40 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Since there isn't going to be a 2016 spending spree, 6-8 million?

maybe 3/20M? My guess would be he takes the QO.

« Reply #80 on: December 19, 2017, 02:54:32 PM »

• Paul Silas

TP for the list. I only have one issue. I'm 99.99% sure Noel is not re-signing with Dallas because of how bad things went this summer and they've barely played him this season.

I agree with you, but it was worth mentioning.

Although I'd put the likelihood of the Mavs being interested at 20%, they are the most logical place for Smart.

« Reply #81 on: December 19, 2017, 05:46:53 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I keep going back to Andre Roberson. An All NBA defender who can't shoot who got $30 mil for 3 years last summer. Smart might be better but will find a less hospitable cap environment this year. If he could be signed for 4/$40 I would be very, very happy.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #82 on: December 19, 2017, 06:48:31 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
He'll definitely get offers...his attitude, facilitating and defense alone will get offers from organizations that know what it takes to win in the NBA. Put Smart on a second unit that has some scoring punch, using him as the PG and he'll have a positive impact.

How much the offers will be is the caveat. I hope to see Marcus stay with the Celtics on a reasonable contract. He does some dumb things at times, I'm hoping he grows out of trying to be what he isn't.

If he doesn't stay with the Celtics...your gonna see some close games lost because of his absents. Smart is a warrior, and Stevens and Danny know it.

It's not a coincidence that he's ALWAYS in the line-up in a close game at its close.

« Reply #83 on: December 19, 2017, 08:14:31 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
People thought Sully would get 15 million a year and he is out of the league.   Folks thought KO would get 20 million a year.   If there is one given it is that Celticsblog overvalues our guys.   He will get offers but I doubt not as high as some here think.

« Reply #84 on: December 19, 2017, 09:09:27 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
People thought Sully would get 15 million a year and he is out of the league.   Folks thought KO would get 20 million a year.   If there is one given it is that Celticsblog overvalues our guys.   He will get offers but I doubt not as high as some here think.

Nobody thought Turner would get nearly 18M per. Everyone thought Amir would be at best a vet min guy with the way he looked late last season and the Sixers signed for 11M. That said, you're using two poor examples with the way the league has gone in undervaluing bigs. Smart's ability to guard several positions combined with his age (still only 23) will likely make him really popular in free agency. In fact, I'll say that if he performs well in the playoffs, and we know he has a history of playing well in big spots, he will get some really lucrative offers.

« Reply #85 on: December 20, 2017, 12:48:25 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
I'm honestly finding it hard to see Smart even getting more than 15M/Year from another team with cap space.

It's been an extremely wild season for him, but his shooting still looks below average and now he's turning the ball over a lot more. 4/52M is what I'd give him at this point, though that might be a bit generous too.

He's shooting is the smallest problem. His numbers are even not that terrible. His ball handling and Kobe-acting, that's what's terrible. He's authorized to  do anything that crosses his mind. I gave him too much time. Can't stand him any more.

Interesting complaints. What do you mean specifically by Kobe-acting?
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #86 on: December 20, 2017, 07:58:10 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
That said, you're using two poor examples with the way the league has gone in undervaluing bigs.

I am directly quoting numbers touted on this board.   You seem pretty thin-skinned over the matter were you one of the folks?   Don't worry I am not going to google who said what.   But I was giving two examples of how the board overrates our guys.  You have been here awhile surely you seen folks say those very things, too.  The league has gone mad in terms of salary.   It makes one wonder how much the owners were making prior to the rise in salaries.

In fact, I'll say that if he performs well in the playoffs, and we know he has a history of playing well in big spots, he will get some really lucrative offers.

That has to happen for it to happen.  Certainly, could and I think he will get offers.   I said it above.   But as you illustrate on Amir and Turner and I did on Sully and Kelly, there is a common theme that we agree on.    You can't count on the board to know squat about what a payer it going to get in the free market.  That was my point and you reinforced it with the examples of Turner and Amir even more.  Thanks for helping me, with making my point.  TP

« Reply #87 on: December 20, 2017, 08:30:53 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
I'm honestly finding it hard to see Smart even getting more than 15M/Year from another team with cap space.

It's been an extremely wild season for him, but his shooting still looks below average and now he's turning the ball over a lot more. 4/52M is what I'd give him at this point, though that might be a bit generous too.

He's shooting is the smallest problem. His numbers are even not that terrible. His ball handling and Kobe-acting, that's what's terrible. He's authorized to  do anything that crosses his mind. I gave him too much time. Can't stand him any more.

Kobe-figuratively meant. He thinks he's Kobe. Just pay atention when he gets the ball at the start of our possesion. Ball just stops most of the time, goes nowhere (like for 5-7 sec), he shoots or attacks the rim. When he hits the wall in the paint he'll try to pass with 2 sec left.  There are two outcomes: the less worse - he misses, the worse - turnover.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 08:45:49 AM by iadera »

« Reply #88 on: December 20, 2017, 09:05:31 AM »

• Paul Silas

Kobe-figuratively meant. He thinks he's Kobe. Just pay atention when he gets the ball at the start of our possesion. Ball just stops most of the time, goes nowhere (like for 5-7 sec), he shoots or attacks the rim. When he hits the wall in the paint he'll try to pass with 2 sec left.  There are two outcomes: the less worse - he misses, the worse - turnover.

I kinda' laughed at this. I mean, I know Smart doesn't make great decisions with the ball, but this was a bit of an exaggeration. Smart averages like half of the shots per 36 minutes that Kobe averaged -- he's not a Kobe ball-stopoper. The ball stops with him because he is responsible to get into a pick-and-roll action. He normally is the one who takes the shots at the end of clocks, instead of passing it to a teammate to do the same.

Smart shows ability to play his offensive game from time to time. He is a streaky shooter, but he also shows the ability to draw fouls, loft runners, or shoot pull-ups.

He is also our best pick-and-roll passer right now, and was probably our best one last season too. He has a natural feel for getting Al easy buckets, or for reading the defense collapsing on Al and making the next read to get the corner man easy buckets.

I continue to contend his struggles are not about ability, but about rhythm. He'll never be a great scorer, but if he was in better rhythm within the offense, he would be a good team scorer.

« Reply #89 on: December 20, 2017, 10:06:17 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
If we could keep Smart at 4 years/44M or less, I'd be ecstatic honestly.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller