Author Topic: Powe vs. Glenn Davis  (Read 60650 times)

Re: Powe vs. Glenn Davis
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2008, 11:34:42 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
There is a big difference in having "heart" and just loving to play the game, and having enough heart that it translates into the work ethic needed to make you the best player you can be. Powe has the latter. He overcame so many obstacles in his life to put him in the position he is in right now. I sure hope no one is questioning the man's "heart".

BBD on  the other hand has heart and is obviously excited to play as he comes on the floor. No question about it. His problem is that he doesn't have ENOUGH heart to make him want to be the best player he can be. He doesn't spend the time working out like he needs to to mold his body into the shape needed to jump to that next level. He doesn't have the will to eat appropriately so that he doesn't put on bad weight.

If you ask me which I would take, I'll take Powe and his complete desire and "heart" over BBD just loving to play basketball any day. As sad as it is to say, unless he completely changes his lifestyle and attitude BBD will always be a solid player that plays in spurts well, but never realized his potential.

the kid is a rookie and has improved his weight and body type markedly since collage last year, not sure where this lazy work ethic knock came from... lets give him the benifit of the doubt for at least his first off season....

BBD lost a lot of weight before pre-draft workouts, but he's put a ton of it back on since then.  This is something the organization isn't terribly happy about.  They've been on BBD about his work ethic for awhile now, and they went as far as to assign P.J. Brown as BBD's personal mentor when he signed here.

The kid needs to get serious about weight control.  He's a much better player at a lighter, but still hefty, weight.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2008, 03:13:43 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
There is a big difference in having "heart" and just loving to play the game, and having enough heart that it translates into the work ethic needed to make you the best player you can be. Powe has the latter. He overcame so many obstacles in his life to put him in the position he is in right now. I sure hope no one is questioning the man's "heart".

BBD on  the other hand has heart and is obviously excited to play as he comes on the floor. No question about it. His problem is that he doesn't have ENOUGH heart to make him want to be the best player he can be. He doesn't spend the time working out like he needs to to mold his body into the shape needed to jump to that next level. He doesn't have the will to eat appropriately so that he doesn't put on bad weight.

If you ask me which I would take, I'll take Powe and his complete desire and "heart" over BBD just loving to play basketball any day. As sad as it is to say, unless he completely changes his lifestyle and attitude BBD will always be a solid player that plays in spurts well, but never realized his potential.

the kid is a rookie and has improved his weight and body type markedly since collage last year, not sure where this lazy work ethic knock came from... lets give him the benifit of the doubt for at least his first off season....

100% fact that he is fatter today than he was in his pre-draft workouts. Look at his pictures coming in after being signed vs. now. He is soft and is getting closer to his college days. That comes from one or both of 2 things. (trust me!) Not eating well, and not working out enough.

THAT is where he gets his lazy work ethic comment from. Otherwise you'd hear stories about how it was baffling that he put on fat because he is the hardest worker in the gym and has a nutritionist... If he did he wouldn't be getting fatter. You're supposed to LOSE that Big Baby fat young man...

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2008, 03:16:25 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
If Davis get is shape, he will likely pass Powe.  He has more offensive talents.  He seems to have a better understanding of the defensive rotations.

But the 'get in shape' seems to be the big question mark. 

I am going to say, if Davis isn't in better shape next year, it will be his last with the Celtics.

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2008, 03:56:58 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Next year will likely be his last year in Boston anyway.  He has only a two year deal (his agent wanted it that way), and given the Celtics' luxury tax situation, my guess is that other teams will be willing to pay more.  Davis would be a very nice fit on a team like the Wizards (just to name one).

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2008, 03:59:09 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
If only BBD could have a very nice fit into his pants he was wearing at the first of the year! Trade him in the off season. He will likely walk anyway. (That or be rolled away by his agent) (I'm probably stretching it just a bit now... kind of like BBD's waistline... Sorry. Can't help it.)

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2009, 11:23:38 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
davis tonight goes +24 and did an amazing job doing the little things. Handled oneil haslem combo well.

I do like powe but honestly davis is definitely the better smaller pf we got.

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2009, 11:39:37 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
We know what Powe can do, but we haven't seen the best of BBD yet. Him & Perk are a really good tandem. I know doc likes BBD more for his all around game. So my guess would that they'll try to keep both, if not both they'll def resign BBD. Next season we can expect BBD & Perk to dominate. Breakout year for both.

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2009, 12:21:47 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
To be honest, I could care less, I just know that this year, they need both of them healthy and playing well if they want any chance to repeat.  Davis' defense and 15 footer, and Powe's inside scoring a rebounding are going to be very much needed off the bench in May.  Seeing Nikki Moore waving as guys run past him just makes me appreciate Davis so much more...and I don't think anyone needs reason to appreciate Powe more, after some of the performances he has had lately.

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2009, 01:31:49 AM »

Offline illestmcsgt

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
These are two different players and they bring something different for this team. It would be hard to lose either one of them because they have great games. If had to choose which has to stay I think it would be BBD. His game has evolved more and I think he has a bright future with the C's. Powe I still like his passion which gains my respect wherever he goes.

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2009, 03:11:52 AM »

Offline ben

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 43
It kills me to do this, but I have to give glenn davis props.  He played a GREAT game tonight.  Maybe it was because I wasn't expecting much after he missed time with the ankle, but for some reason he had a great game.

To answer the question, Powe is the better player right now.  Powe's play in the post elevates him over Davis, because Powe is so strong with it.  It is a valuble weapon especially playing with Garnett, who likes to shoot more. 
Powe will also be the better player in 2 years, because he is young and will improve with more PT which he deserves.  Davis will improve also.  I guess it comes down to that I trust Powe's game more.  His 30 point, 11 rebound, 5 block game was amazing.  Powe is the superstar, BBD is the soldier, because i don't see BBD puting up 30 11 and 5 ever. 

« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2009, 07:53:40 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
It kills me to do this, but I have to give glenn davis props.  He played a GREAT game tonight.  Maybe it was because I wasn't expecting much after he missed time with the ankle, but for some reason he had a great game.

To answer the question, Powe is the better player right now.  Powe's play in the post elevates him over Davis, because Powe is so strong with it.  It is a valuble weapon especially playing with Garnett, who likes to shoot more. 
Powe will also be the better player in 2 years, because he is young and will improve with more PT which he deserves.  Davis will improve also.  I guess it comes down to that I trust Powe's game more.  His 30 point, 11 rebound, 5 block game was amazing.  Powe is the superstar, BBD is the soldier, because i don't see BBD puting up 30 11 and 5 ever. 

doubt u will see powe get +24 which is sometimes better than scoring cuz u are doing all the other small things right. Also powe has not got 30 points consistantly and to add to that he doesn't pass the ball like bbd can.

The better team player is bbd

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2009, 07:57:12 AM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
Baby's shot is falling pretty consistently, I'm really surprised how his shot has come along.

« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2009, 08:07:15 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Well it's a question of style.  When Powe gets the ball he looks to score.  When Davis gets the ball he looks first to help a teammate score, with a pass or a pick.  So instead of Davis scoring 20 pts, guys like Pierce and Rondo score more.

Davis was excellent on offense (very efficient), not so much on defense.  His rotations were slow, and he couldn't handle Michael Beasley.  But neither could anyone else. They put Pierce on Beasley at the end (because Pierce had only 2 fouls) and Beasley just kept scoring.

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2009, 08:07:49 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632

doubt u will see powe get +24 which is sometimes better than scoring cuz u are doing all the other small things right. Also powe has not got 30 points consistantly and to add to that he doesn't pass the ball like bbd can.

The better team player is bbd

Agreed that BBD is the better team player.  I think the Celtics have a winning record with BBD starting and a losing one with Powe starting.

That 30 pt game Powe had was great, but it was against one of the weakest and youngest teams in the league, a team with no interior defense (Marc Gasol although big, was terrible on defense).
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2009, 08:08:59 AM »

Offline TomHamilton30

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 1
I'm in full agreement that his weight is holding him back.  He really shouldn't be compared to Barkley ever b/c he's not even 1/10 the player barkley was.  Barkley, with his size, was a tremendous rebounder, had a great post game, and could finish around the hoop & on fast breaks.  BBD can't do any of this well, so its clear his weight his hindering him.

I'll take Powe on this for two reason:  1) His history has proven that he will overcome obstacles that get in the way of him being a better player, and 2) With the Celtics having such great scorers on the team (when healthy!), it makes much more sense to have someone fill in the dirty supporting roll of getting rebounds, taking charges, etc.  

Some of you seem to forget that BBD isn't a rookie.  His "baby fat" isn't cute anymore.  He's just plain fat for an nba player.  The trend is that this will continue.  

BBD's +/- last night has more to do with playing alongside PP and not being on the court with Walker and others were, than it has to do with him being a phenomenal all-around player.  It was great to see the C's get 41 minutes out of him though.  They need to just make it through the rest of this season without tiring themselves out.