Author Topic: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)  (Read 375406 times)

Re: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)
« Reply #1635 on: December 26, 2018, 12:57:34 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
I read Simmons hasn’t taken a shot past 14 feet this season. Disgraceful and brown is complicit in it

No joke. The 22 footer Simmons hit in today's game was the longest jumper he made in his NBA career. I'm starting to think Simmons in general is just overrated.

All he can really do is facilitate on fast breaks and open lanes, and drive, but that’s about it, and even that doesn’t always work (turnovers in crucial moments of games and brutal misses). Basically, keep him out of the paint and clog the lanes. Then he’s ineffective. Sure, he’ll put up the numbers (like he did today), but finished with -17 and really is a liability on offense. I think BOS (w/Stevens) exposed him in the playoffs last year.

Fantastic player but still overrated and a liability on offense. It puts enormous pressure on Embiid, Reddick and Butler to score as well.

Also the Butler trade actually looks clutch for them. Their bench is very thin and Fultz is out. If they don't make the trade I honestly don't view them as a threat or even a Top-5 team in the East.
Neither of these statements is correct. On the 1st one, he also is an excellent rebounder (9 rpg this season and 14 last night).  The 2nd one is simply not accurate.  11 points and 8 assists means he was directly involved with 27 of their points.

Rather than trading him, the better solution is to lock him in a gym over the summer and force him to develop a decent jump-shot.
The truth is, right now, he is overrated. I wouldn't want him on this team over someone like Kyrie or Tatum. In time he needs to develop a jump shot (which just isn't natural for him right now) and his free throw %. Otherwise he'll never reach his potential. Not sure why all the love for him around the league/country. Great passer, vision and rebounder but that is not enough. He needs at least a 15-18 foot jumper to be elite.
He has improved his foul shooting and he has decent form on it.  I think he would actually be halfway decent as a shooter and I really don't know why he doesn't shoot more other than maybe it is a mental thing (i.e. he doesn't want to face criticism if he misses).  He doesn't have that Butler or Embiid personality of I just don't give two bleeps what you think about me, I'm going to do what I'm going to do anyway.

He is a guard shooting 59% from the foul line. He has also been even worse for the month of December shooting 55%. Same he shot last year. Seems like a strange thing to praise him for.

Embiid also continues to be frustrated...

http://www.philly.com/sixers/philadelphia-sixers-boston-celtics-joel-embiid-brett-brown-christmas-20181226.html

Embiid has a valid point. He was dominating us in the second half and then the Sixers stopped going to him down the stretch. Brett Brown is a poor coach, he's one of the biggest factors holding back the Sixers imo. The other is lack of perimeter shooting to open the floor for Embiid and Butler. They really need to move Simmons for a guard who is a better fit that can spread the floor and play defense. Reddick is old and gets abused on defense too easily.

« Reply #1636 on: December 26, 2018, 01:11:40 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Maybe if Embiid could actually play more than 32 minutes without getting winded his complaints would hold more merit.  He just looks exhausted at the end of games, especially tight ones that go into overtime. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #1637 on: December 26, 2018, 01:13:44 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

« Reply #1638 on: December 26, 2018, 01:17:45 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Maybe if Embiid could actually play more than 32 minutes without getting winded his complaints would hold more merit.  He just looks exhausted at the end of games, especially tight ones that go into overtime.

I think we would all be losing our minds if irving was constantly criticizing brad's gameplan to the media.

« Reply #1639 on: December 26, 2018, 01:22:07 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437

« Reply #1640 on: December 26, 2018, 01:22:54 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

I think we would all be losing our minds if irving was constantly criticizing brad's gameplan to the media.
Irving has made a number of comments in the similar ilk.  Not quite so many or as directly at the coach, but he certainly has indirectly called out Brad this year. 

That said, Embiid is far more vocal about everything then most players.  He talks a lot about a lot of different things. Much more in the Lebron James ilk in that regard then most players.

« Reply #1641 on: December 26, 2018, 01:52:23 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Irving has made a number of comments in the similar ilk.  Not quite so many or as directly at the coach, but he certainly has indirectly called out Brad this year. 

That said, Embiid is far more vocal about everything then most players.  He talks a lot about a lot of different things. Much more in the Lebron James ilk in that regard then most players.

When did Irving complaining about wanting the ball more or more shots?

« Reply #1642 on: December 26, 2018, 02:15:49 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

Criticizing the gameplan is not the same thing as complaining about not getting enough shots.  Irving has spoken quite positively about Stevens, but he has also criticized him (again more indirectly than flat out calling him out like Embiid did). 

« Reply #1643 on: December 26, 2018, 02:23:35 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Criticizing the gameplan is not the same thing as complaining about not getting enough shots.  Irving has spoken quite positively about Stevens, but he has also criticized him (again more indirectly than flat out calling him out like Embiid did).
I honestly have no idea what you are talking about. Embiid complained about being asked to stand on the perimeter a few weeks ago and here not getting the ball. What has Irving complained about? Can you actually provide some links or a story instead of your usual vague references?

« Reply #1644 on: December 26, 2018, 02:25:08 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

Yeah that narrative is outdated. He looked pretty energetic sprinting back on defense and getting a chase down block on Tatum at the end of the 4th last night.

Last season Embiid got winded toward the end of games as he was working his way into full game shape once his minutes restriction was lifted, this season his conditioning looks very good.

« Reply #1645 on: December 26, 2018, 03:33:42 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

Yeah that narrative is outdated. He looked pretty energetic sprinting back on defense and getting a chase down block on Tatum at the end of the 4th last night.

Last season Embiid got winded toward the end of games as he was working his way into full game shape once his minutes restriction was lifted, this season his conditioning looks very good.
I saw him huffing and puffing a lot in that game, especially in overtime.  He was slow to get to his spots a number of times late (when he wasn't early), which directly led to a couple of turnovers as well.  Embiid's conditioning is better than it was last year, but it is still pretty bad.

« Reply #1646 on: December 26, 2018, 03:58:17 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I honestly have no idea what you are talking about. Embiid complained about being asked to stand on the perimeter a few weeks ago and here not getting the ball. What has Irving complained about? Can you actually provide some links or a story instead of your usual vague references?
Gotta agree. Kyrie has called out team mates but I don't ever remember him criticizing the coach or the game plan. I have no idea where that is coming from

« Reply #1647 on: December 26, 2018, 04:18:43 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

Gotta agree. Kyrie has called out team mates but I don't ever remember him criticizing the coach or the game plan. I have no idea where that is coming from
Here is the source of the link guys:
www.idisskyrieateveryopportunity.org
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #1648 on: December 26, 2018, 04:43:04 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Here is the source of the link guys:
www.idisskyrieateveryopportunity.org
Link doesn't work...or was that the point?

« Reply #1649 on: December 26, 2018, 05:41:16 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

I saw him huffing and puffing a lot in that game, especially in overtime.  He was slow to get to his spots a number of times late (when he wasn't early), which directly led to a couple of turnovers as well.  Embiid's conditioning is better than it was last year, but it is still pretty bad.

If you really think conditioning was the problem with him down the stretch, then Brett Brown should do a much better job of managing his minutes to keep him fresh for closing close games the way Stevens does with our guys. There is no excuse for not utilizing your best offensive player down the stretch of a close game.