Author Topic: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)  (Read 375439 times)

Re: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)
« Reply #975 on: March 17, 2017, 03:38:17 PM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57
This Moranis "keep Lrbrd33 alive" thread is pretty ridiculous at this point. 

They are injured and they suck.

Get back to us next year.
Thanks for chiming in, why don't you all enlighten on us for your GM plan of the Sixers in 2013.  Goal make the Sixers a contender in the quickest amount of time.

1. Sign nameless "vets" who can teach the young guys who to "be a pro" and instill a "culture of winning" on the team... Because if there is one thing we've learned it's that vets on short term deals care a lot about rebuilds rather than just getting theirs to get paid in a year or two.

2. Realize you don't have any young guys because you don't control 2 of your next 3 draft picks

3. Continue treading water as a sub .500 fringe playoff team for the next decade because the last decade of doing that was so much fun.

4. Congratulate yourself because 3 years of tanking is much worse than 20 years of irrelevance, some of which you play at tanking level bad unintentionally.

« Reply #976 on: March 17, 2017, 04:59:52 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
No, that's not true. I remember celebrating that Nets trade with several other posters. Many thought there was a strong chance the Nets would be absolutely terrible by the time these picks would become relevant.

There may have been differing opinions, as always, but to say nobody could've predicted the Nets around the bottom of the league is patently false.

TP for this. I argued at the point the trade was made that the picks from 2016-2018 would very likely be lottery picks and at least one could be a top 5 pick.

It was obvious that Pierce and KG were nothing more than shells of their former selves. By trading for those guys the Nets were going to cap lock themselves. I figured the only guy who would be worth a [dang] by the time 2016 rolled around was Lopez because the other guys were too old and/or too injured to make more than one last hurrah at it (and they didn't even have that in the tank).

What I didn't count on was how bad the pick would be going back to the Nets this year. I figured that if we were lucky we'd squeak into the playoffs but that the pick going to the Nets would be a mid-1st (12-16). I didn't imagine in my wildest dreams the Nets would get stuck with #23 or #24.  :)
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #977 on: March 17, 2017, 05:31:09 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
BTW, my position on what I would have done with Philly, is also the same thing I was advocating Boston do way back in 2012 i.e. trade Rondo rather then enter a period of mediocrity and start over (here is a thread where I was advocating that in April 2012 http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=55509.0). 

To be fair, I'd been advocating the trading of Rondo for awhile at that point, but 2012 was my real breaking point on him because I saw that as Boston's last chance at contending (the core was just too old).  Also, at that time I thought KG and Allen were going to leave in free agency that summer and I thought Pierce "might" retire.  Obviously KG came back and PP didn't retire, though Allen did leave, though Boston was never a contender after that with that core because those guys were just too old and you clearly couldn't build a contending level team around Rondo.  (and for the record I'm certainly glad KG came back and PP didn't retire, because that led to the Nets trade, which was awesome).

I saw Rondo in much the same way Philly saw Jrue Holiday in 2013 i.e. a good solid, even sometimes all star level player, but not a guy you could build a true championship team around.  He was however still a guy that would lead to enough victories that your team would never truly bottom out (which as has been posted a lot, you need to bottom out to significantly increase your chances of landing a franchise altering talent).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #978 on: March 17, 2017, 06:20:09 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
Getting lucky with the Brooklyn trade is great but it isn't a rebuild strategy. 

Incredible. Denial is not just a river in egypt, eh?
I said the Brooklyn trade was great but it isn't a rebuild strategy.  How many other trades have worked out so well?  Not only did Ainge get a great return but Brooklyn has managed to bottom out so that we're getting near maximum value.  The Sixers took their swing at making a big trade and Bynum blew up in their faces.  All GMs would love to make a Brooklyn trade but it isn't something you can base your success on.  The stars have to align perfectly.

Yeah, except we did have a rebuild strategy. What we didn't have was a masterplan.
In fact, depending on how these picks shake out, we could look at arguably the best rebuild in league history. We kept our options open and worked on the three big D's of (re-)building: draft, develop and deals. The idea was always to accumulate assets and cash them in for a star or two. The luck part is that we don't even have to do that now.

So, maybe you're technically correct, we didn't have a strategy, but we certainly had a method. As ederson said, just because you think flexibility and keeping your options open is not part of a bigger picture doesn't mean there is none.

Furthermore, you make it sound as if trading KG and Pierce for future picks was a no-brainer. It wasn't. Not every GM would trade their two best players, one of them a Celtic for life, to turbo-charge the rebuild, regardless of the value they'd receive in return. Duncan didn't get traded, Kobe didn't, Dirk won't either. Many around here were furious and calling for Danny's head when the deal went through. So no, not every GM would love to do such a deal. It was an incredibly gutsy move to do what the Celtics' FO did.

Honestly, your argument makes even less sense when you consider we're not even benefitting from the BRK picks, right now. Neither James Young nor Jaylen Brown are the reason we're sitting in 2nd place in the east 4 years in.
It is funny.  I wasn't knocking Ainge or the position we're in.  He's an excellent GM and I agree with most of his moves (cough, gag  Olynyk over Giannis).  I think Ainge's approach was good considering the position we were in and Hinkie's process was good considering the position the Sixers were in. 

I thought it was a great trade and a no-brainer to me.   Ainge had previously come close to trading Pierce but didn't think the return was good enough.  Allen was 2/3rd's out the door to the Grizzlies(?) before the deal fell through.  Ainge has said repeatedly that Red not trading Bird and McHale at the end of their careers was a mistake.  Not every GM would make the trade because some are fools and some are not in stable enough positions to do so.  When your goal is the penthouse and the elevator is going down you don't ride it all the way to the ground. 

Our rebuild position would be much weaker if not for the trade.  Wyc and Ainge still think we're two moves away but the trade gives us lots of options to get there.  We're really lucky that we have Ainge and good ownership backing him.   

« Reply #979 on: March 17, 2017, 09:37:39 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Sixers absolutely destroyed the Mavs.  Justin Anderson with back to back solid games and he vastly outperformed Noel in this one.  Looks like he might not have been just some throw in.

« Reply #980 on: March 17, 2017, 09:41:36 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
Sixers absolutely destroyed the Mavs.  Justin Anderson with back to back solid games and he vastly outperformed Noel in this one.  Looks like he might not have been just some throw in.

When I had suggested that Anderson was a very good prospect and that the Sixers did quite well to get him plus a 1st for Noel, I got destroyed on here.

« Reply #981 on: March 17, 2017, 09:46:24 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

When I had suggested that Anderson was a very good prospect and that the Sixers did quite well to get him plus a 1st for Noel, I got destroyed on here.
well they didn't really get a first and I did miss the GS game where  Anderson played 7 minutes and did nothing  so it wasn't back to back, but I always thought he was a solid prospect. Not a top of the line taren't like Noel could be but solid enough.

« Reply #982 on: March 17, 2017, 10:03:34 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

Who, beat who?  I think the Mavs are coming down from the Yogi Ferrell insanity.

Luwawu-Cabarrot and Holmes have been looking good, though.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #983 on: March 18, 2017, 09:29:24 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Who, beat who?  I think the Mavs are coming down from the Yogi Ferrell insanity.

Sixers have a lot of role player type prospects playing but those guys aren't going to win them title [well maybe Saric or Okafor could be a real piece). They need Simmons, Embiid, and or the draft picks this summer to be those guys.

« Reply #984 on: March 19, 2017, 05:51:16 PM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57

Sixers have a lot of role player type prospects playing but those guys aren't going to win them title [well maybe Saric or Okafor could be a real piece). They need Simmons, Embiid, and or the draft picks this summer to be those guys.

If Embiid can't give them 4-5 healthy playoff runs they might be screwed unless they nail this draft and/or get lucky with the Lakers/Kings pick in 18/19 (if LAL doesn't convey this year).

« Reply #985 on: March 22, 2017, 04:35:08 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2933
Yet another blow for Embiid and the 76ers. How many knee, foot, and back injuries and surgeries is this now for him in his short career? And this was even after they completely coddled him all season long. Looking more and more like Greg Oden 2.0.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2699501-joel-embiid-reportedly-very-likely-to-undergo-surgery-on-meniscus-tear-in-knee

Philadelphia 76ers center Joel Embiid is "very likely" to have surgery on the meniscus tear in his left knee, according to ESPN.com's Marc Stein.

Embiid was initially ruled out for the remainder of the regular season on March 1 after an MRI revealed a meniscus tear that was "more pronounced" than in previous scans.

« Reply #986 on: March 22, 2017, 04:37:14 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Yet another blow for Embiid and the 76ers. How many knee, foot, and back injuries and surgeries is this now for him in his short career? Looking more and more like Greg Oden 2.0.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2699501-joel-embiid-reportedly-very-likely-to-undergo-surgery-on-meniscus-tear-in-knee

Philadelphia 76ers center Joel Embiid is "very likely" to have surgery on the meniscus tear in his left knee, according to ESPN.com's Marc Stein.

Embiid was initially ruled out for the remainder of the regular season on March 1 after an MRI revealed a meniscus tear that was "more pronounced" than in previous scans.

What's his 2k injury rating?

« Reply #987 on: March 22, 2017, 04:49:42 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
It's not a real injury.  It's nothing... like all of his other injuries were... he shot around in practice and danced on stage.   This is fake news. :o

« Reply #988 on: March 22, 2017, 04:49:45 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
Yet another blow for Embiid and the 76ers. How many knee, foot, and back injuries and surgeries is this now for him in his short career? And this was even after they completely coddled him all season long. Looking more and more like Greg Oden 2.0.

Why didn't they do the surgery 6 weeks ago when it was discovered (or at least close to then). Considering that Okafor is currently missing games with a surgery that had a 4 week recovery over a year ago you would think they would want to get it started. Then again, they accidently used a tendon from a dog in Okafor's surgery so that seems like a one time mistake.

« Reply #989 on: March 22, 2017, 04:53:11 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
That sucks about Embiid.  When he's actually on the court, he's one of my favorite players in the league to watch.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team