Author Topic: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)  (Read 375466 times)

Re: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)
« Reply #945 on: March 16, 2017, 07:27:20 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Mike,
You are hired to run the Sixers in 2013.  You just finished 34-38 and have Jrue Holiday, Evan Turner, Thad Young, Spencer Hawes, Lavoy Allen, Nick Young (impending free agent), and not much else on the roster.  You are missing 1 future 1st round pick and don't have all your 2nd round picks either.  You have the 11th pick in the upcoming draft, but your best "young" player is Moultrie. 

How do you make that team a contender?
I posted this for Mike but I'm curious what anyoneeds that thinks the process was a mistake would have done.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #946 on: March 16, 2017, 08:06:21 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Mike,
You are hired to run the Sixers in 2013.  You just finished 34-38 and have Jrue Holiday, Evan Turner, Thad Young, Spencer Hawes, Lavoy Allen, Nick Young (impending free agent), and not much else on the roster.  You are missing 1 future 1st round pick and don't have all your 2nd round picks either.  You have the 11th pick in the upcoming draft, but your best "young" player is Moultrie. 

I posted this for Mike but I'm curious what anyoneeds that thinks the process was a mistake would have done.
When you are a team with no obvious path, the only tangible multi-year path is tanking. That is the only path where you can layout a progression.

Philly said, "We will suck until we get our superstar, we will also accumulate high end talent while we hunt for our superstar. When our superstar pulls us out of the bottom 7ish we will move that high end talent around via trade etc to find a more complementary roster around our stars. It is very very clear.

I think Philly was right to make the Holiday move (A very scummy move with the injury stuff) then you tank etc etc. I do think they would have been better served to be more opportunistic. I think they basically ruled out adding good players outside of their picks and they could have added good talent on the cheap.

I dont really have a problem with the tank as a strategy, but to ask people to "create a contender" is pretty much impossible. The tank is the only plan that can be clearly laid out over multiple years.

I mean the path GS took could never have been laid out as a 3 year plan. Our path couldnt have been laid out. Cleveland's path was entirely unique and San Antonio riding the back of Kawhi Leonard was obviously unpredictable.

Question becomes: could Kawhi Leonard happen in Philly? could Steph, Klay and Dray? Im not sure.

GS had a single year of late season tanking to get Harrison Barnes. SAS tanked for year to get Timmy which created the culture to allow for Kawhi Leonard to blossom.

I dont think they could, but that certainly doesnt [dang] the process.

TL;DR

I dont think you can lay out a better plan and while that doesnt [dang] the process it also doesnt validate it.

The other plan is to blow it up then become opportunistic and attempt to build a good culture for your top few picks. You cant predict getting Crowder and Thomas or developing Draymond Green or Klay Thompson or Kawhi Leonard. But if you tank like a maniac your odds of those guys emerging are a whole lot smaller.

Thats all opinion tho.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 08:18:54 PM by Ilikesports17 »
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #947 on: March 16, 2017, 08:39:08 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I was looking at things today and realized we've almost achieved the Philly process while building a contender.

Philly was 34-48 as noted above and then went:

19-63 in 2013-14 (2nd lottery slot, #3 pick, Joel Embiid)
18-64 in 2014-15 (3rd lottery slot, #3 pick, Jahlil Okafor)
10-72 in 2015-16 (1st lottery slot, #1 pick, Ben Simmons)

With the Brooklyn trade we are getting, effectively, this:

21-61 in 2015-16 (3rd lottery slot, #3 pick, Jaylen Brown)
15-67 in 2016-17 estimated (1st lottery slot, pick Fultz/Ball/Jackson/Tatum)
? in 2017-18, but I'd say odds are good we get another top 4 pick

Not saying this was all in Danny's crystal ball or anything, luck played a big part. Just an observation. I don't think I'd take Embiid/Okafor/Simmons for Brown and our two picks as of today.

« Reply #948 on: March 16, 2017, 09:49:38 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
I was looking at things today and realized we've almost achieved the Philly process while building a contender.

Not saying this was all in Danny's crystal ball or anything, luck played a big part. Just an observation. I don't think I'd take Embiid/Okafor/Simmons for Brown and our two picks as of today.
The process wasn't just about tanking to maximize value of the Sixers own picks.  It also entailed trading assets and using cap space to acquire additional picks.  For example, the Holiday trade to get Noel and Saric and the Kings salary dump trade to get another 1st.   Getting lucky with the Brooklyn trade is great but it isn't a rebuild strategy. 

Assuming that Embiid doesn't have a medical red flag, I would much rather have Embiid, Simmons and Okafor.  Play him 50 or 60 games during the regular season to manage his health and then let him loose in the playoffs.  With Embiid, we'd easily be the best defensive team.  With Embiid backing him up, Thomas' defensively liabilities would be greatly mitigated.  Haven't even mentioned Embiid's offensive capabilities.  Simmons would bring his elite passing and court vision and excellent rebounding that we could really use.  Could even use him as point forward at times.  We'd trade Okafor for whatever we could get for him.  We'd be able to put together a variety of nasty lineups to counter whatever the opponents tries. 

« Reply #949 on: March 16, 2017, 10:12:53 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533

The process wasn't just about tanking to maximize value of the Sixers own picks.  It also entailed trading assets and using cap space to acquire additional picks.  For example, the Holiday trade to get Noel and Saric and the Kings salary dump trade to get another 1st.   Getting lucky with the Brooklyn trade is great but it isn't a rebuild strategy. 

Assuming that Embiid doesn't have a medical red flag, I would much rather have Embiid, Simmons and Okafor.  Play him 50 or 60 games during the regular season to manage his health and then let him loose in the playoffs.  With Embiid, we'd easily be the best defensive team.  With Embiid backing him up, Thomas' defensively liabilities would be greatly mitigated.  Haven't even mentioned Embiid's offensive capabilities.  Simmons would bring his elite passing and court vision and excellent rebounding that we could really use.  Could even use him as point forward at times.  We'd trade Okafor for whatever we could get for him.  We'd be able to put together a variety of nasty lineups to counter whatever the opponents tries.
Clarification needed:

When you say play Embiid 50 or 60 games, is that during one season or over the course of several seasons? Embiid might be in a full body cast if you play him in 60 games in one year.

« Reply #950 on: March 16, 2017, 10:37:24 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551

Clarification needed:

When you say play Embiid 50 or 60 games, is that during one season or over the course of several seasons? Embiid might be in a full body cast if you play him in 60 games in one year.
Embiid played 31 games without any foot or back issues.  A meniscus tear and bone bruise in the knee has no relation to the previous injuries.  If it wasn't for the Sixers really bad history with injuries, I wouldn't be concerned with the latest injury. 

Edit:  Embiid's numbers in case you forgot his dominance. 
25.4 MPG, 20.2 Pts, 7.8 Reb, Ast 2.1, Blk 2.5, Stl 0.9 on 46.6 Fg%, 36.7 3p%, 78.3 Ft%. 

He was also shooting free throws at the highest rate in the league.  Thomas was top 5.  Having two of the top 5 players at getting to the line would be a big advantage in the playoffs. 
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 11:01:14 PM by tazzmaniac »

« Reply #951 on: March 16, 2017, 11:38:52 PM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57
AAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

The point I'm trying to make is that extreme measures are only justified by extreme results.  For example, you don't want someone to cut off you leg if you have a hangnail.  You only want to do that if you've got an infection and you'll die if they don't lop it off.

Hinkie's "Process" has produced a great deal of pain, misery and distress.  Far more than other approaches to rebuilding, such as what Ainge has now done twice.  If Hinkie's "Process" is ONLY as successful, at best, as less destructive approaches....WHAT WAS THE POINT OF ALL THAT SUFFERING?

Mike
I'm sorry to hear that Philly missing the playoffs for 5 straight seasons has been so hard for you. I don't think it hit most others quite as bad.

There are Philly fans enjoying this?  If I were one I'd be p---ed.

Yes we are, and no you wouldn't.

« Reply #952 on: March 17, 2017, 12:14:34 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

Clarification needed:

Embiid played 31 games without any foot or back issues.  A meniscus tear and bone bruise in the knee has no relation to the previous injuries.  If it wasn't for the Sixers really bad history with injuries, I wouldn't be concerned with the latest injury. 

25.4 MPG, 20.2 Pts, 7.8 Reb, Ast 2.1, Blk 2.5, Stl 0.9 on 46.6 Fg%, 36.7 3p%, 78.3 Ft%. 

He was also shooting free throws at the highest rate in the league.  Thomas was top 5.  Having two of the top 5 players at getting to the line would be a big advantage in the playoffs.
Embiid himself is like half of the Sixers injury history!  And it's pretty funny to be excited about someone playing 25 minutes a game for 31 games with plenty of rest in between games, only to get hurt.  That's pathetic.

« Reply #953 on: March 17, 2017, 12:31:48 AM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82

Clarification needed:

Not if one of them is out injured...

« Reply #954 on: March 17, 2017, 01:07:34 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Clarification needed:

I'm getting a bit sick of people minimizing this dudes injuries. Every time he's out there is a core group that comes charging in saying the injury doesn't matter. I had someone tell me that Embiid was "not hurt" and just out for rest a week before he got shut down for the year.

Joel Embiid appeared on the basketball map 4 years ago. He was unable to play a complete season at Kansas playing just 20 games. Since then injuries have limited him to just 31 games.

He's played 51 games in 4 years. All due to lower body or back injuries. He stand above 7 feet.

You absolutely cannot pencil him in for 50 or 60 games.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #955 on: March 17, 2017, 01:59:58 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Mike,

Well, I could list a bunch of moves but then we'd just get into a stupid argument over whether they were realistic or not.

Speaking generally, you listed six guys who are still in the league today so they're all legitimate NBA players.  I might keep some.  I might trade some.  I might let some walk.  I might try to trade for other players.  I might try to trade for picks.  I might try to sign some free agents.

There are 1,001 things I might do.  Some might work.  Some might not.  Maybe I'd turn the Sixers into a contender.  Maybe I wouldn't.

What I would never do is embark on a multi-year campaign to make the team as bad as possible and hope I get lucky in the draft, which is fundamentally all Hinkie did.  That's like using your mortgage payment to buy lottery tickets.  You can get away with it for a while and it might work out in the end but the odds are very much against you.

Everybody needs a little luck to succeed but if your plan for success relies on luck, you are always going to fail.

Let's take a look at who the Sixers have now, compared to your list.

Covington?  Maybe he's better than Lavoy Allen but that's it.
Okafor?  It sure seems like the rest of the NBA would rather have 2013 Spencer Hawes than 2017 Okafor.
Saric?  Is there any guarantee he's going to be better than Nick Young?
Embiid?  Looks like a stud but hasn't even played half a season of games total in three years and just got hurt AGAIN even though he was averaging fewer minutes than 87-year-old Dirk Nowitski.
Simmons?  Looks very promising but could wind up closer to Lamar Odom than LeBron James.

Is that truly a significantly better collection of talent than Holiday, Turner, Young, Hawes, Allen and Young?  Higher upside, maybe, but dramatically better when everything is considered?  All that losing and how much better off is Philadelphia?

Mike

« Reply #956 on: March 17, 2017, 02:41:28 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo

Well yeah. Danny had other pieces to his rebuild strategy too. You know, the ones that put us on track to get one of the top two seeds in the conference this year.

Though I guess if you equate "rebuild" with "suck for a while," I suppose those other pieces of Danny's strategy are an abject failure. Depends on how you want to look at things.

« Reply #957 on: March 17, 2017, 02:48:07 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo

Clarification needed:

I'm getting a bit sick of people minimizing this dudes injuries. Every time he's out there is a core group that comes charging in saying the injury doesn't matter. I had someone tell me that Embiid was "not hurt" and just out for rest a week before he got shut down for the year.

Joel Embiid appeared on the basketball map 4 years ago. He was unable to play a complete season at Kansas playing just 20 games. Since then injuries have limited him to just 31 games.

He's played 51 games in 4 years. All due to lower body or back injuries. He stand above 7 feet.

You absolutely cannot pencil him in for 50 or 60 games.

TP for saving me the effort of writing the same thing. And I'll just add that it doesn't make sense to view what's happened as some sort of surprising unfortunate outcome. Embiid fell to #3 due to injury concerns and the Sixers got burned by gambling on him. It was a known risk.

« Reply #958 on: March 17, 2017, 03:49:46 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
Getting lucky with the Brooklyn trade is great but it isn't a rebuild strategy. 

Incredible. Denial is not just a river in egypt, eh?
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #959 on: March 17, 2017, 05:57:07 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
It's amazing that doing nothing and keep collecting defeats is called strategy but keeping an open mind , assessing every situation and taking advantage of mistakes is not......