Author Topic: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)  (Read 375332 times)

Re: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)
« Reply #810 on: March 07, 2017, 05:37:40 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/why-the-76ers-should-be-thanking-sam-hinkie-145925655.html

Wow I wonder if the colangelos paid to have that piece put out. There future looks a lot bleaker than a did a few months ago

- Noel was traded for 2 seconds and a guy that has already hit the top of the backboard a few times in games
-Okafor had continued to regress in his second season becoming a lightening storm for criticism with his "defense" going viral. In their latest attempt to save face the 76ers are evaluating his knee again a year after a 6 week injury that went all according to plan
-Embiid is out for the season and enters his 4th season having played 31 games. The people that think his frame and accompanying injuries to his back, knees,legs since beginning basketball at Kansas are going to somehow stop really confuse me.
-Simmons has lost his entire rookie season to an injury that "didn't heal right"

These were the 4 "prizes" that Hinkie left them with, and while things could still turn around on Simmons and Embiid (though likely just simmons), writing this piece today strikes me as super weird timing. I really would not put it past colangelo to have commissioned this piece.
Darko may becone the face of the franchise while Noel goes to an All Star game with Dallas in a few years. They do have MO picks to blow coming.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #811 on: March 07, 2017, 05:39:36 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/why-the-76ers-should-be-thanking-sam-hinkie-145925655.html

Wow I wonder if the colangelos paid to have that piece put out. There future looks a lot bleaker than a did a few months ago

- Noel was traded for 2 seconds and a guy that has already hit the top of the backboard a few times in games
-Okafor had continued to regress in his second season becoming a lightening storm for criticism with his "defense" going viral. In their latest attempt to save face the 76ers are evaluating his knee again a year after a 6 week injury that went all according to plan
-Embiid is out for the season and enters his 4th season having played 31 games. The people that think his frame and accompanying injuries to his back, knees,legs since beginning basketball at Kansas are going to somehow stop really confuse me.
-Simmons has lost his entire rookie season to an injury that "didn't heal right"

These were the 4 "prizes" that Hinkie left them with, and while things could still turn around on Simmons and Embiid (though likely just simmons), writing this piece today strikes me as super weird timing. I really would not put it past colangelo to have commissioned this piece.
Darko may becone the face of the franchise while Noel goes to an All Star game with Dallas in a few years. They do have MO picks to blow coming.

If they get lucky in the lottery in a few months their prospects can change in a hurry. However, at the moment this is a super weird time to write the argue because everything looks worse for them than did a few months again (except saric playing consistently)

« Reply #812 on: March 08, 2017, 01:14:54 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143

If they get lucky in the lottery in a few months their prospects can change in a hurry. However, at the moment this is a super weird time to write the argue because everything looks worse for them than did a few months again (except saric playing consistently)

Yeah a lot is going to hinge on how the lottery works out for them.  If they land ass backwards into Fultz the outlook is pretty decent.  If they don't fans have another 3~4 years of all their hopes and dreams hinging on Embiid's knees to look forward to.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #813 on: March 08, 2017, 02:02:01 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618

Yeah a lot is going to hinge on how the lottery works out for them.  If they land ass backwards into Fultz the outlook is pretty decent.  If they don't fans have another 3~4 years of all their hopes and dreams hinging on Embiid's knees to look forward to.

They could land "ass-backwards" into Frank Ntilikina or De'Aron Fox and have a superstar just as easily
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #814 on: March 08, 2017, 02:34:30 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Dude is delusional. Even if Embiid comes back, giant if, this team is 5-6 years away from possibly contending. Possibly. And who knows which of the youth they lose due to contract restraints by that time.
If, and that is a big if, Simmons is as good as advertised, they get anything from Embiid, and they pick up at least a respectable player in the draft this year (with the possibility of two such players), plus all of the other assets and cap space they have, the Sixers will be a playoff team next year and should be one of the better teams in the league in no more than 3 years.  Again, that is obviously contingent on Simmons living up to the potential and them not messing up the draft this summer. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #815 on: March 08, 2017, 02:46:02 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Dude is delusional. Even if Embiid comes back, giant if, this team is 5-6 years away from possibly contending. Possibly. And who knows which of the youth they lose due to contract restraints by that time.
If, and that is a big if, Simmons is as good as advertised, they get anything from Embiid, and they pick up at least a respectable player in the draft this year (with the possibility of two such players), plus all of the other assets and cap space they have, the Sixers will be a playoff team next year and should be one of the better teams in the league in no more than 3 years.  Again, that is obviously contingent on Simmons living up to the potential and them not messing up the draft this summer.

Even if everything goes right, they still might not be a playoff team next year.  Their future would be rosy in 2-3 years, but it might take awhile for it all to gel.

« Reply #816 on: March 08, 2017, 04:22:16 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Even if everything goes right, they still might not be a playoff team next year.  Their future would be rosy in 2-3 years, but it might take awhile for it all to gel.
I am not buying Philly as a playoff team next year all because of players with literally next to no NBA experience. Thats just silly talk.

« Reply #817 on: March 08, 2017, 04:33:50 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
they will be very lucky to make the playoffs with a roster that inexperienced.

Young teams struggle.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #818 on: March 08, 2017, 04:52:27 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
they will be very lucky to make the playoffs with a roster that inexperienced.

Young teams struggle.

The people that are bullish on the 76ers for next season must be completely unfamiliar with the minnesota timberwolves eh? Wiggins was simmons before Simmons. A guy that pawned the phrase "riggin for wiggins" because teams wanted to tank to get him and who is highly successful offensively with 23 points per game in his 3rd year. Than he is pair with KAT who is been considered a transcendent do it all big man that received all-star consideration this year in just his second season. They have some other nice young pieces on par with Saric in Lavine plus another nice young big man prospect superior to Okafor in Dieng. They have a vet point guard and even more young offense off the bench in Muhammad.

So clear playoff team right? No 13th in the west because.. well... aside from the Thunder.. young people struggle. Yet somehow in Simmons rookie season and Embid playing in his 32nd game with a bad back, back knee and a repaired foot and they are a legit playoff challenger from the go?

Why?

« Reply #819 on: March 08, 2017, 05:38:48 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
yes, they should make the playoffs if what you write is accurate. but one of the better teams in the nba? i dont know. i look at minnesota, okc, and maybe a few other teams that draft 2-3 stars, very talented young players that everyone thinks will be a star. for okc it worked out. for minnesota, not so much. wiggins...compare the hype to the reality. porter, it took 4 years to become a good nba player. and how long did it take billups?

then we have players that dont pan out of course.

being one of the better teams is more than putting talent together. it is also making sure the personalities mesh, the talents match, and they are surrounded with the right role players.

so, i will say what i say so often, let's wait and see.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #820 on: March 08, 2017, 05:55:55 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
yes, they should make the playoffs if what you write is accurate. but one of the better teams in the nba? i dont know. i look at minnesota, okc, and maybe a few other teams that draft 2-3 stars, very talented young players that everyone thinks will be a star. for okc it worked out. for minnesota, not so much. wiggins...compare the hype to the reality. porter, it took 4 years to become a good nba player. and how long did it take billups?

being one of the better teams is more than putting talent together. it is also making sure the personalities mesh, the talents match, and they are surrounded with the right role players.

The idea that they can just waltz into the playoffs with Embiid/Simmons/Monk or whatever is absurd.  Even if Embiid Is healthy all season, a second-year player flanked by 2~3 rookies is not going to make the playoffs, regardless of how much potential they have. Just look at Minnesota.

Unless they throw money at veterans or swing a trade, best case scenario Philly is still making the playoffs for the first time in 2018/19 and maybe becoming a contender by the 2020s.  That will mark nearly a decade of misery. They better be winning a title after that.

« Reply #821 on: March 08, 2017, 07:40:14 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551

The idea that they can just waltz into the playoffs with Embiid/Simmons/Monk or whatever is absurd.  Even if Embiid Is healthy all season, a second-year player flanked by 2~3 rookies is not going to make the playoffs, regardless of how much potential they have. Just look at Minnesota.

Unless they throw money at veterans or swing a trade, best case scenario Philly is still making the playoffs for the first time in 2018/19 and maybe becoming a contender by the 2020s.  That will mark nearly a decade of misery. They better be winning a title after that.
You don't need to be a good team to make the playoffs.  In the East, the 6th through 8th spots are .500 teams.  In the West, the 8th spot is well below .500. 

The Sixers won't waltz into the playoffs but top 5 defensive teams generally make the playoffs.  If Embiid is healthy most of the season, they have a good chance of being a top 5 defensive team.  Covington will be in his 4th season.  With his European experience, Saric is not a typical rookie. They'll have some veterans like they have this season.   If Butler goes on the market, I could see the Sixers going after him.  I could see them going after Philly boys, Lowry or Waiters, in free agency.   

« Reply #822 on: March 09, 2017, 08:39:29 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Minnesota is a poorly constructed team.  They have a lot of offensive chuckers without any real defenders.  Dieng and KAT are a bad mix up front.  Rubio, Lavine, and Wiggins just doesn't work in the backcourt.  They then hired a defensive oriented coach, that isn't a great offensive coach, to coach a bunch of great offensive players that are terrible to poor defenders.  It is just a bad mix of players/coaching in Minnesota. 

The Sixers are put together much better assuming they pick up a guard in the draft.  They will have a two way anchor at center (Embiid), a solid stretch 4 (Saric), a 3 and D veteran SF (Covington), and two rookies in the backcourt (one the #1 pick in the draft (Simmons), and the other at least a top 7 pick (whomever they land this summer)).  Plus they will have some quality vets on the bench in Henderson, Bayless, Rodriguez, with some other young guys that will continue to grow in Okafor, Anderson, Stauskas, McConnell, and Holmes.  That also doesn't account for the possibility of getting the Lakers pick and their immense cap space from which they could add talent. 

And to be fair, I said if Simmons lives up to the hype (and called it a big if), they would be one of the better teams in the NBA in 3 years.  Very good chance he doesn't live up to the hype.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #823 on: March 09, 2017, 09:27:07 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Minnesota is a poorly constructed team.  They have a lot of offensive chuckers without any real defenders.  Dieng and KAT are a bad mix up front.  Rubio, Lavine, and Wiggins just doesn't work in the backcourt.  They then hired a defensive oriented coach, that isn't a great offensive coach, to coach a bunch of great offensive players that are terrible to poor defenders.  It is just a bad mix of players/coaching in Minnesota. 

The Sixers are put together much better assuming they pick up a guard in the draft.  They will have a two way anchor at center (Embiid), a solid stretch 4 (Saric), a 3 and D veteran SF (Covington), and two rookies in the backcourt (one the #1 pick in the draft (Simmons), and the other at least a top 7 pick (whomever they land this summer)).  Plus they will have some quality vets on the bench in Henderson, Bayless, Rodriguez, with some other young guys that will continue to grow in Okafor, Anderson, Stauskas, McConnell, and Holmes.  That also doesn't account for the possibility of getting the Lakers pick and their immense cap space from which they could add talent. 

And to be fair, I said if Simmons lives up to the hype (and called it a big if), they would be one of the better teams in the NBA in 3 years.  Very good chance he doesn't live up to the hype.
It seems incredibly premature to talk about about how well the Sixers are put together.  Minnesota has something that the Sixers don't have- good NBA players who can stay on the court.  Out of all the Sixers, Saric looks like the surest bet to succeed as of now, and he's not all that great.  The two most talented players the Sixers have do not play in NBA games.  A total of 30 games in four player seasons.

« Reply #824 on: March 09, 2017, 11:19:03 AM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney

You don't need to be a good team to make the playoffs.  In the East, the 6th through 8th spots are .500 teams.  In the West, the 8th spot is well below .500. 

The Sixers won't waltz into the playoffs but top 5 defensive teams generally make the playoffs.  If Embiid is healthy most of the season, they have a good chance of being a top 5 defensive team.  Covington will be in his 4th season.  With his European experience, Saric is not a typical rookie. They'll have some veterans like they have this season.   If Butler goes on the market, I could see the Sixers going after him.  I could see them going after Philly boys, Lowry or Waiters, in free agency.

1. Winning 41 games is not trivially easy. You need to be pretty decent to get there.
2. The Sixers are not going to be a top-5 defensive team no matter how good Embiid is when they're starting Simmons and another rookie. That's not how the NBA works.