Author Topic: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)  (Read 375350 times)

Re: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)
« Reply #645 on: February 12, 2017, 03:20:47 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
Tanking and showcasing are accepted in the league, but generally frowned on. 

The main reason Embiid has been held out is because they are showcasing Okafor, Noel and Saric before Simmons comes back.  Okafor had 20 points on Wednesday.  Noel had 19 yesterday.  Saric has looked like young Larry Bird lately as he adapts to USA style baskeball.  The trade deadline is coming up and Philadelphia has been trying to trade for Jimmy Butler, because they think he would be a great 3rd option behind Simmons and Embiid.  They want to move their pick and Okafor.  They want to keep the Lakers pick and Saric.

The secondary reasons for holding out Embiid are improving the pick before the trade deadline and giving Embiid some rest until after the allstar break.  A meniscus tear that doesn't require surgery is one of the most common injuries in sports.  With R.I.C.E you can be healed in a couple weeks.  Embiid had the injury a couple weeks ago.  He is either already healed or almost healed. That's why he is listed as Day-To-Day.  He played after the injury and dumped 35 points on the Rockets.  It's a cupcake injury.  He and Simmons will play after allstar break and after they make some trades.   I'd trade our entire team for Embiid.

They were just calling it a bone bruise, because they knew how much fans and the media would freak out when they saw the word "tear".   It's not a big deal.   The problem is that Embiid was at the Meek Mills concert on Friday and jumped on stage dancing like a maniac with his shirt off.  Millions saw it on twitter.  This sent the wrong message, because it made it obvious they were just holding him out to tank and showcase Okafor, Noel and Saric.  The front office was getting heat for it.  They had to come out and clarify that it's a meniscus tear.  That will justify keeping him out until the trade deadline passes.
No, the only reason Embiid has been held out is that he is injured and gets soreness and swelling when he does any serious basketball activity.  And you are crazy if you'd trade the entire second best team in the east for a guy who has played 30 games in 3 years.  Insane.
yea sorry trading our whole team for embiid is a ridiculous statement and probably just serves to lower the discourse of this thread
don't be ignorant.  Would you trade the whole team for young LeBron, young Jordan, young Bird or young Duncan?  I sure as hell would.  And I would gladly trade our entire team and all draft picks for Embiid.  He is superhuman.  He is guaranteed to win at minimum two championships.

Put down the Kool-Aid. Or crack pipe. Or whatever it is.

He's not the one who is being ignorant. Embiid is guaranteed to win NOTHING. Beyond the very real injury risk that he presents, you can't say he's better than Davis or KAT. Those guys are guaranteed to win nothing either. History is replete with guys who were actually great (Embiid isn't great yet) for long periods that didn't win anything. Ewing. Barkely. Malone. Wilkins. Baylor. The list goes on and on.

You want to know the commonality of those guys? They rarely played on complete teams. If you were to trade everything to acquire him, you know what you'd get in the very BEST case? You'd get KG on bad Minny teams. How did that work out for the Timberwolves? How is it working out for Philly this year? Your post is absurd because your premise is so faulty. No one wins alone. Not Jordan. Not Bird. Not even Big Bill.

It's far too early to say he's a young Jordan, Bird or Duncan. History will judge that at a later date, not when he's 22 and playing for bad teams. Until then, I'd rather have the winning team loaded with assets rather than putting all the eggs into one very fragile and otherwise empty basket.
don't be ignorant.  Kat and Davis can't hold Embiid's jock.  People who compare them don't watch basketball.  Kat is a terrible defender.   Embiid is the evolutionary Bill Russell on the defensive end.  There is no comparison.  Philadelphia will be a threat to win the East next year whether or not they add Butler.  Embiid is a hall of fame talent that will win multiple championships.  He will also star in many movies and father many exceptional children.

Is this just a joke at this point?

« Reply #646 on: February 12, 2017, 07:45:07 PM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57
This thread has gone to a really weird place.

Anyways, Embiid dancing is a non-issue. He's been practicing and working out on the court. The idea that lightly dancing around a stage is in any way going to put him at risk seems silly to me when he's playing bball at practice.

I suspect he'd be playing if this were the playoffs or something.

« Reply #647 on: February 12, 2017, 08:10:57 PM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51

Anyways, Embiid dancing is a non-issue. He's been practicing and working out on the court. The idea that lightly dancing around a stage is in any way going to put him at risk seems silly to me when he's playing bball at practice.

Well, it's not quite a non-issue - I don't think it's really something that's going to aggravate an injury, but it's definitely a bad look given the circumstances and where the team's at. I know he's only a couple weeks shy of his 23rd birthday, but this is another one of those circumstances where there probably should be more adults in the building.

« Reply #648 on: February 12, 2017, 08:56:11 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
Tanking and showcasing are accepted in the league, but generally frowned on. 

The main reason Embiid has been held out is because they are showcasing Okafor, Noel and Saric before Simmons comes back.  Okafor had 20 points on Wednesday.  Noel had 19 yesterday.  Saric has looked like young Larry Bird lately as he adapts to USA style baskeball.  The trade deadline is coming up and Philadelphia has been trying to trade for Jimmy Butler, because they think he would be a great 3rd option behind Simmons and Embiid.  They want to move their pick and Okafor.  They want to keep the Lakers pick and Saric.

The secondary reasons for holding out Embiid are improving the pick before the trade deadline and giving Embiid some rest until after the allstar break.  A meniscus tear that doesn't require surgery is one of the most common injuries in sports.  With R.I.C.E you can be healed in a couple weeks.  Embiid had the injury a couple weeks ago.  He is either already healed or almost healed. That's why he is listed as Day-To-Day.  He played after the injury and dumped 35 points on the Rockets.  It's a cupcake injury.  He and Simmons will play after allstar break and after they make some trades.   I'd trade our entire team for Embiid.

They were just calling it a bone bruise, because they knew how much fans and the media would freak out when they saw the word "tear".   It's not a big deal.   The problem is that Embiid was at the Meek Mills concert on Friday and jumped on stage dancing like a maniac with his shirt off.  Millions saw it on twitter.  This sent the wrong message, because it made it obvious they were just holding him out to tank and showcase Okafor, Noel and Saric.  The front office was getting heat for it.  They had to come out and clarify that it's a meniscus tear.  That will justify keeping him out until the trade deadline passes.
No, the only reason Embiid has been held out is that he is injured and gets soreness and swelling when he does any serious basketball activity.  And you are crazy if you'd trade the entire second best team in the east for a guy who has played 30 games in 3 years.  Insane.
yea sorry trading our whole team for embiid is a ridiculous statement and probably just serves to lower the discourse of this thread
don't be ignorant.  Would you trade the whole team for young LeBron, young Jordan, young Bird or young Duncan?  I sure as hell would.  And I would gladly trade our entire team and all draft picks for Embiid.  He is superhuman.  He is guaranteed to win at minimum two championships.

Put down the Kool-Aid. Or crack pipe. Or whatever it is.

He's not the one who is being ignorant. Embiid is guaranteed to win NOTHING. Beyond the very real injury risk that he presents, you can't say he's better than Davis or KAT. Those guys are guaranteed to win nothing either. History is replete with guys who were actually great (Embiid isn't great yet) for long periods that didn't win anything. Ewing. Barkely. Malone. Wilkins. Baylor. The list goes on and on.

You want to know the commonality of those guys? They rarely played on complete teams. If you were to trade everything to acquire him, you know what you'd get in the very BEST case? You'd get KG on bad Minny teams. How did that work out for the Timberwolves? How is it working out for Philly this year? Your post is absurd because your premise is so faulty. No one wins alone. Not Jordan. Not Bird. Not even Big Bill.

It's far too early to say he's a young Jordan, Bird or Duncan. History will judge that at a later date, not when he's 22 and playing for bad teams. Until then, I'd rather have the winning team loaded with assets rather than putting all the eggs into one very fragile and otherwise empty basket.
don't be ignorant.  Kat and Davis can't hold Embiid's jock.  People who compare them don't watch basketball.  Kat is a terrible defender.   Embiid is the evolutionary Bill Russell on the defensive end.  There is no comparison.  Philadelphia will be a threat to win the East next year whether or not they add Butler.  Embiid is a hall of fame talent that will win multiple championships.  He will also star in many movies and father many exceptional children.

I'm sure you're having fun trolling but it isn't appreciated here. Go elsewhere if you're going to do so.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 09:09:12 PM by Granath »
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #649 on: February 12, 2017, 09:03:15 PM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57

Well, it's not quite a non-issue - I don't think it's really something that's going to aggravate an injury, but it's definitely a bad look given the circumstances and where the team's at. I know he's only a couple weeks shy of his 23rd birthday, but this is another one of those circumstances where there probably should be more adults in the building.

What exactly is a bad look? Going to a concert? Dancing? Who cares? It's utterly irrelevant.

Can we please get the definitive guide on when NBA players are and are not allowed to enjoy their lives? Maybe a flowchart would be helpful.  ::)

« Reply #650 on: February 12, 2017, 09:20:52 PM »

Offline Adelaide Celt

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 206
If only Embiid had gone bowling instead.
NO AMOUNT OF PSYCHOLOGICAL MANIPULATION, HORMONAL OR SURGICAL MUTILATION WILL EVER CHANGE A PERSON'S GENDER

« Reply #651 on: February 12, 2017, 09:28:39 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

What exactly is a bad look? Going to a concert? Dancing? Who cares? It's utterly irrelevant.

Can we please get the definitive guide on when NBA players are and are not allowed to enjoy their lives? Maybe a flowchart would be helpful.  ::)
1. Are you hurt?
if no---> dance publicly
if yes --> question 2.
2. Is it a leg/knee/foot/head injury
if no--> dance!
if yes --> question 3.
3. Do you have an extensive injury history?
if no--> maybe dance, probably not
if yes--> question 4
4. by yes do you mean that youve missed 194/253 games due to injury over the last four years
if no--> still probably dont dance
if yes--> question 5
5. Is an entire franchise depending on your legs staying healthy?
if no. --> probably shouldnt but not a huge deal
if yes. --> dont dance around in public. Its most definitely a bad look for you and a franchise that doesnt need anymore bad looks.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #652 on: February 12, 2017, 09:32:04 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

1. Are you hurt?
if no---> dance publicly
if yes --> question 2.
if no--> dance!
if yes --> question 3.
if yes--> question 4
4. by yes do you mean that youve missed 194/253 games due to injury over the last four years
if yes--> question 5
if yes. --> dont dance around in public. Its most definitely a bad look for you and a franchise that doesnt need anymore bad looks.

TP, to the point and made me LMHO.

« Reply #653 on: February 12, 2017, 09:35:09 PM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51

Well, you asked for and got the flowchart you wanted, but: yes, going to a concert and getting on stage to dance when you're out with a banged-up knee after only playing 31 games in the first two and a half years of your career is a bad look. Part of being a public person is understanding how your actions are going to be interpreted - the same way Andrew Bynum probably shouldn't have been bowling or salsa dancing when he was rehabbing his knees, Embiid could have gone and enjoyed a concert without having his "everyone look at meeeeeee!" moment that was 100% always going wind up on the internet.

« Reply #654 on: February 12, 2017, 09:55:18 PM »

Offline mahcussmaht

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 6

1. Are you hurt?
if no---> dance publicly
if yes --> question 2.
if no--> dance!
if yes --> question 3.
if yes--> question 4
if yes--> question 5
exactly.  The answer to 1 is "no".  They announced that the injury he had weeks ago was a meniscus tear.  Those heal in a couple weeks with rest.  They are keeping him out until after the deadline to showcase the other bigs.   Maybe a little longer to tank and for precautionary reasons. And honestly he might not even be out that long.  They haven't announced he's missing the rookie game or the skills challenge.  It's not a serious injury.  So he can dance if he wants to.  And he can leave his friends behind when they are traded.

« Reply #655 on: February 12, 2017, 10:01:03 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

1. Are you hurt?
if no---> dance publicly
if yes --> question 2.
if no--> dance!
if yes --> question 3.
if yes--> question 4
if yes--> question 5
exactly.  The answer to 1 is "no".  They announced that the injury he had weeks ago was a meniscus tear.  Those heal in a couple weeks with rest.  They are keeping him out until after the deadline to showcase the other bigs.   Maybe a little longer to tank and for precautionary reasons. And honestly he might not even be out that long.  They haven't announced he's missing the rookie game or the skills challenge.  It's not a serious injury.  So he can dance if he wants to.  And he can leave his friends behind when they are traded.

Meniscus tears don't heal. Either the meniscus chunk is left, causing inflamation, or players must have surgery to shave the meniscus to avoid further complications.

It's not the most serious thing in the world, but it doesn't heal by itself, and too many of those can lead to bone on bone rubbing in the knee.

« Reply #656 on: February 12, 2017, 10:43:48 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

1. Are you hurt?
if no---> dance publicly
if yes --> question 2.
if no--> dance!
if yes --> question 3.
if yes--> question 4
if yes--> question 5
nope. He is listed on Philly's injury report as out with a knee injury. If he is completely healthy and philly is listing him as injured that is dishonest and a bad look for Philly (and Embiid becuase he surely knows he is listed as injured). If he was healthy, they would qualify his sitting out games as rest.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

embib not only has knee contusion
« Reply #657 on: February 13, 2017, 10:33:53 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
he has a partially torn meniscus-not that bad but certainly might influence who you trade

Re: embib not only has knee contusion
« Reply #658 on: February 13, 2017, 10:42:23 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
[dang] that really sucks

Re: embib not only has knee contusion
« Reply #659 on: February 13, 2017, 11:21:01 AM »

Online GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Seems like the perfect scenario to continue their tank-a-thon.

Sit Embiid, trade Noel/Okafor, get second-best odds, push LAL odds down, hope for two top-5 picks in stacked draft.
CELTICS 2024