Author Topic: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)  (Read 375622 times)

Re: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)
« Reply #555 on: February 02, 2017, 01:21:19 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
They back to stealth tanking? I totally understand taking it easy with resting Embiid and keeping him out for even a knee contusion, but starting Okafor tonight over Noel versus Cousins and the Kings, which ultimately led to a Cousins explosion? lol That's a stealth tank move if I've ever seen one!
I think it's more to showcase him.

They're just reminding other GMs he's still around and has talent. I'm thinking they package him with their pick to move up in the draft.

The problem is, just about every time he gets on the court he has lowered his value save a handful of games.

Almost like a prophet was this post. Okafor got the start tonight and let journeymen Mejri go off for 16 points and 17 rebounds with plays like this

https://twitter.com/rich_hofmann/status/826995730623643648

It becomes harder and harder for me to believe the people that want Okafor are watching him play basketball.

Wowzer, that's lazy. Like late night drunk-snack food-making lazy.

Philly need to be super careful to keep his value reasonable. He's already probably only just worth a late first rounder...
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #556 on: February 02, 2017, 01:39:57 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
Wow, I got carried away thinking the 76ers would make the playoffs!!  They have played the LEAST number of road games (tied with the Cavs at 21) in the NBA!!!!!

Let's see how the young 76ers do on the road!!!!  So far, they are 6-21 on the road.

Where the heck are you LarBrd????????????????

Come back with your predictions of the NBA Finals baby:-)))))))))))))))

Smitty77

It is certainly possible that their recent strong stretch only damaged their chances of getting that third piece to go along with Embiid and Simmons on a rookie contract.
Not that much.  This is a strong draft.  The Sixers currently have the 5th worst record and they have the pick swap with the Kings.  So they currently have ~40% chance of a top 3 pick.  They also currently have a 53% chance of getting the Lakers picks (4th-6th) this year.  Fultz is the LibertyBallers dream pick but there are plenty of other good picks that would fit well with Embiid and Simmons.  Even Dennis Smith who I don't particularly like, especially for us, could work well with Embiid and Simmons. 

« Reply #557 on: February 02, 2017, 01:43:19 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
They back to stealth tanking? I totally understand taking it easy with resting Embiid and keeping him out for even a knee contusion, but starting Okafor tonight over Noel versus Cousins and the Kings, which ultimately led to a Cousins explosion? lol That's a stealth tank move if I've ever seen one!

They're just reminding other GMs he's still around and has talent. I'm thinking they package him with their pick to move up in the draft.

The problem is, just about every time he gets on the court he has lowered his value save a handful of games.

Almost like a prophet was this post. Okafor got the start tonight and let journeymen Mejri go off for 16 points and 17 rebounds with plays like this

It becomes harder and harder for me to believe the people that want Okafor are watching him play basketball.

Philly need to be super careful to keep his value reasonable. He's already probably only just worth a late first rounder...
His value has got to be at an all-time low, but he is so talented offensively.

I mean at this time of the year in 2015 he was the consensus #1 pick. I actually think hes been hurt the most by the process. He just isnt mature enough to go into that situation and succeed.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #558 on: February 02, 2017, 02:09:43 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551

I mean at this time of the year in 2015 he was the consensus #1 pick. I actually think hes been hurt the most by the process. He just isnt mature enough to go into that situation and succeed.
Okafor's issues have little to do with the process.  Okafor has significant limitations in his physical abilities and skillset that he's going to have to work on and work around if he's going to be successful.  Unfortunately for the Sixers and Okafor, he was out this offseason recovering from an injury but it is only his 2nd season so their is still time for his development. 

« Reply #559 on: February 02, 2017, 02:45:06 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
Wow, I got carried away thinking the 76ers would make the playoffs!!  They have played the LEAST number of road games (tied with the Cavs at 21) in the NBA!!!!!

Let's see how the young 76ers do on the road!!!!  So far, they are 6-21 on the road.

Where the heck are you LarBrd????????????????

Come back with your predictions of the NBA Finals baby:-)))))))))))))))

Smitty77

It is certainly possible that their recent strong stretch only damaged their chances of getting that third piece to go along with Embiid and Simmons on a rookie contract.
Not that much.  This is a strong draft.  The Sixers currently have the 5th worst record and they have the pick swap with the Kings.  So they currently have ~40% chance of a top 3 pick.  They also currently have a 53% chance of getting the Lakers picks (4th-6th) this year.  Fultz is the LibertyBallers dream pick but there are plenty of other good picks that would fit well with Embiid and Simmons.  Even Dennis Smith who I don't particularly like, especially for us, could work well with Embiid and Simmons.

There are a few teams ahead of them like the bucks and knicks that are absolutely free falling. The magic seem unlikely to pass them and will most likely move Ibaka and possibly Augustine. The knicks seem very likely to move Anthony. I don't think they can really get away with completely shutting down embiid. I think they will get close to the playoffs and will end up something like 7-11 whatever is better from them and kings. Look for lottery to go celtics, lakers, magic

« Reply #560 on: February 02, 2017, 02:47:53 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Okafor's issues have little to do with the process.  Okafor has significant limitations in his physical abilities and skillset that he's going to have to work on and work around if he's going to be successful.  Unfortunately for the Sixers and Okafor, he was out this offseason recovering from an injury but it is only his 2nd season so their is still time for his development.

On liberty ballers there is debate if he will even stay in the NBA a long time. He really is a fascinating player because the fantasy basketball crowd still thinks he is a star talent but the eye test is horrifying for him. Also could point out while mejeri was grabbing those 16 rebounds okafor had 1 rebound in 27 minutes. That is worse than mark Blount.

« Reply #561 on: February 05, 2017, 09:48:36 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Saric with the BIG game at Miami!!!!:-))))  1-9 shooting and 0-3 from long range and a PER of -3!!!!

He is an All-Star just waiting to happen, right LarBrd????:-)))))))))))))))

http://www.popcornmachine.net/bs?date=20170204&game=PHIMIA

Smitty77

« Reply #562 on: February 05, 2017, 10:31:07 AM »

Offline OHCeltic

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
If we got Okafor at least it would improve our offense. Rebounding and defensive he is a little better than what we have now.

« Reply #563 on: February 05, 2017, 10:41:11 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
If we got Okafor at least it would improve our offense. Rebounding and defensive he is a little better than what we have now.

If we can get him for cheap, I think it might be worth it!!!!  I think that he can be taught to become an average defender at center, which would be acceptable!!!

Smitty77

« Reply #564 on: February 05, 2017, 11:05:52 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I do not see a way where Okafor improves the C's. He's a black hole on defense and can't rebound.

« Reply #565 on: February 05, 2017, 11:06:15 AM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
Watched part the Sixers-Heat game on local TV....Whiteside completely outmuscled and dominated Noel....disappointing

« Reply #566 on: February 05, 2017, 11:08:35 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
Watched part the Sixers-Heat game on local TV....Whiteside completely outmuscled and dominated Noel....disappointing

Agree totally!!!  Noel's costing himself literally MILLIONS in dollars on his future contract by average to BELOW average play!!!!

Is he that good?  Apparently NOT!!!!!  I would NOT pay him more than an average of $12 million per on a contract, period!!!  I don't give a care what the new NBA collective agreement is!!!

Smitty77

« Reply #567 on: February 05, 2017, 11:16:20 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Agree totally!!!  Noel's costing himself literally MILLIONS in dollars on his future contract by average to BELOW average play!!!!

Is he that good?  Apparently NOT!!!!!  I would NOT pay him more than an average of $12 million per on a contract, period!!!  I don't give a care what the new NBA collective agreement is!!!

Smitty77

Yea Noel is a really interesting case to figure out. I have a feeling whatever team gives him a huge deal, especially if it the 76ers for a limited role, will come to regret it

« Reply #568 on: February 05, 2017, 03:56:45 PM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57
I mean the price of a back up big in the NBA right now is 15+ million dollars. I'm pretty sure Noel is worth that. I doubt anybody is going to go higher than 20, and I'd pay it. Hell be movable on that contract.

« Reply #569 on: February 05, 2017, 04:28:00 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
I was just reminded that the worst thing about Philly is the effect they have on others.

Somebody at a Knicks blog wrote that it was okay that Philly stunk for so long because they'll be elite "for a generation" with Embiid and Simmons.  But how many titles did OKC win with Durant and Westbrook?  In the best possible world where Embiid and Simmons become all NBA players and they get another superstar in the lottery this year, they'll really have not have a few years before the salary cap and luxury tax starts to cripple their ability to put a roster together.

Of all the problems with the Hinkie plan, one of the most overlooked is that almost all great teams are built with guys playing on contracts below their value.  Wade, LeBron and Bosh all took less than the max.  So did Pierce, KG and Ray.  Golden State could't have gotten Durant even with the cap increase if Curry wasn't on a bargain deal.  When they have to resign those two, they will have to lose Livingston, Iguodala and basically anyone who won't play for next to nothing in NBA terms.

Are Embiid and Simmons going to take less than the max?

Mike