Author Topic: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)  (Read 375700 times)

Re: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)
« Reply #540 on: January 30, 2017, 04:44:11 PM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167

The 76ers had a nice stretch for sure. I believe they went 8-2 in a 10 game stretch or something like that. However, this thread was blowing up with "they have arrived" "will they make the playoffs" and sadly from LB "the 76ers are already better than the Celtics."

By comparison the Heat have WON 7 GAMES IN A ROW. They have beaten the Warriors and Rockets during this stretch. We have not seen a single "trade for Willie Reed" thread (similar player to Holmes who we did have a thread on). We have not seen a "Josh Richardson is a better prospect than Smart" thread (but we have seen LB pumping Saric as better than smart). We haven't seen a "will the Heat make the playoffs thread." We see nothing, and this is normal. They are a bad team having a good stretch of play.

I hope pointing this out people realize how ridiculous some of this 76ers stuff has been the last few months and gets a little more under control so we it is manageable when they are actually a decent team.

Well put, TP

« Reply #541 on: January 30, 2017, 06:09:02 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
Lot of the Sixers-jealousy stems from our unwillingness to tank the season before we drafted Rozier.  While it would have been nice to get a shot at Turner or Winslow, you just can't wantonly dismantle a team that's over-performing like that.  It would kill morale and create, yes, "a losing culture."

We simply never had the option of doing a multi-year tank.  It would be like the Sixers selling off Covington/Noel for peanuts right now and sitting Embid to improve their draft pick.  You can't do that.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #542 on: January 30, 2017, 06:35:55 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Cousins annihilating 76ers right now. No Embiid, but 18 and 5 in the first quarter is absurd.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #543 on: January 30, 2017, 06:54:46 PM »

Offline ayer

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 1065

The 76ers had a nice stretch for sure. I believe they went 8-2 in a 10 game stretch or something like that. However, this thread was blowing up with "they have arrived" "will they make the playoffs" and sadly from LB "the 76ers are already better than the Celtics."

By comparison the Heat have WON 7 GAMES IN A ROW. They have beaten the Warriors and Rockets during this stretch. We have not seen a single "trade for Willie Reed" thread (similar player to Holmes who we did have a thread on). We have not seen a "Josh Richardson is a better prospect than Smart" thread (but we have seen LB pumping Saric as better than smart). We haven't seen a "will the Heat make the playoffs thread." We see nothing, and this is normal. They are a bad team having a good stretch of play.

I hope pointing this out people realize how ridiculous some of this 76ers stuff has been the last few months and gets a little more under control so we it is manageable when they are actually a decent team.

Well put, TP
have to log in to give  TP to this!!!

« Reply #544 on: January 30, 2017, 07:03:59 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
It would be nice if the Sixers had their own child board like "Current Events" does so some of us could get tossed out of there and not have to see the Sixer threads in the sidebar.

Any chance mods?

« Reply #545 on: January 30, 2017, 07:04:21 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2933
They back to stealth tanking? I totally understand taking it easy with resting Embiid and keeping him out for even a knee contusion, but starting Okafor tonight over Noel versus Cousins and the Kings, which ultimately led to a Cousins explosion? lol That's a stealth tank move if I've ever seen one!

« Reply #546 on: January 30, 2017, 07:09:37 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
It would be nice if the Sixers had their own child board like "Current Events" does so some of us could get tossed out of there and not have to see the Sixer threads in the sidebar.

Any chance mods?
honestly not a bad idea.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #547 on: January 31, 2017, 08:14:11 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
They back to stealth tanking? I totally understand taking it easy with resting Embiid and keeping him out for even a knee contusion, but starting Okafor tonight over Noel versus Cousins and the Kings, which ultimately led to a Cousins explosion? lol That's a stealth tank move if I've ever seen one!
They won.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #548 on: January 31, 2017, 08:33:07 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Embiid makes this team really likeable. I'd probably be a Sixers fan based off his tweets if nothing else.
Tru dat.

He comes off as a nice guy, who enjoys every minute at the NBA.

« Reply #549 on: January 31, 2017, 08:42:09 AM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 79
I think it's more to showcase him.

They're just reminding other GMs he's still around and has talent. I'm thinking they package him with their pick to move up in the draft.

« Reply #550 on: January 31, 2017, 02:46:24 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

They're just reminding other GMs he's still around and has talent. I'm thinking they package him with their pick to move up in the draft.

The problem is, just about every time he gets on the court he has lowered his value save a handful of games.

« Reply #551 on: February 01, 2017, 11:50:34 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

The problem is, just about every time he gets on the court he has lowered his value save a handful of games.

Almost like a prophet was this post. Okafor got the start tonight and let journeymen Mejri go off for 16 points and 17 rebounds with plays like this

https://twitter.com/rich_hofmann/status/826995730623643648

It becomes harder and harder for me to believe the people that want Okafor are watching him play basketball.

« Reply #552 on: February 02, 2017, 12:04:54 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Wow, I got carried away thinking the 76ers would make the playoffs!!  They have played the LEAST number of road games (tied with the Cavs at 21) in the NBA!!!!!

Let's see how the young 76ers do on the road!!!!  So far, they are 6-21 on the road.

Where the heck are you LarBrd????????????????

Come back with your predictions of the NBA Finals baby:-)))))))))))))))

Smitty77

« Reply #553 on: February 02, 2017, 12:22:16 AM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Wow, I got carried away thinking the 76ers would make the playoffs!!  They have played the LEAST number of road games (tied with the Cavs at 21) in the NBA!!!!!

Let's see how the young 76ers do on the road!!!!  So far, they are 6-21 on the road.

Smitty77

It is certainly possible that their recent strong stretch only damaged their chances of getting that third piece to go along with Embiid and Simmons on a rookie contract.

« Reply #554 on: February 02, 2017, 01:20:25 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 552

Smitty77
As I've said in other comments, the Sixers improvement is predominantly because of Embiid.  When he plays, they are, while not a good team, generally competitive.  When he doesn't play, they are not much better than they were last season.  The Sixers have worked it so Embiid has mostly been sitting out road games.  Backing into the playoffs would have been a significant detriment to the Sixers rebuild.