Author Topic: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)  (Read 376017 times)

Re: The Sixers missed their sell high moment
« Reply #255 on: January 13, 2017, 09:25:25 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2934
How has this guy not been permanently banned? He does nothing but talk about another franchise with the sole intention of irritating people that actually care and root for the Celtics.

This whole Kyler tweet issue with Noel is pretty ridiculous. It's either willful ignorance or trolling, both of which aren't really called for here. Can't have serious conversations with him without some sort of ridiculousness like this.

« Reply #256 on: January 13, 2017, 09:30:51 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
The rise and fall of Okafor:

http://phillysportsnetwork.com/2017/01/13/okafor/

Apparently, they can't even get a late first round pick for him now.
That's obviously not true.

How is it obviously not true. This is what people have been saying for a long time (including 76ers fans) and you refuse to accept it.
The 76ers fans commenting that don't genuinely believe it.  And neither do you.   It's like someone here frustrated that Jaylen Brown doesn't get minutes and saying "he's probably not even worth a 2nd rounder at this point".

Okafor was was selected 1st-Team All-Rookie and his Per minute numbers this season actually show improvement.  If he could be had for a late 1st rounder, a team like Boston would already have him.  He's on the second year of a rookie contract and it's highly, highly improbable that the guy selected with the late 1st will be anywhere near the quality of prospect as Okafor.

Ya'll are just being hyperbolic.

Does per minute mean much though...when you are playing less?

His per 100 possessions show a downward trend...

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/o/okafoja01.html

I would give up a non-top10 projected pick...but that's because I'm intrigued...not because I'm convinced he'd live up to being a top 3 pick.
What's interesting is that his averages this season of 10.7 points, 4.8 rebounds, 1.1 assists, 1.1 blocks in 22.4mpg (11.29EFF) statistically put him slightly ahead of Malcolm Brogdon this season (11.00 EFF).  As we all know, 24 year old Malcolm Brogdon is the darling of the 2016 draft and would be frontrunner for Rookie of the Year if it weren't for 2014 draftees Embiid and Saric.   

So in other words, Jahlil Okafor is arguably outperforming every single 2016 draftee this season.  That lends credibility to the draftniks suggestion that Okafor was a better prospect than anyone available at #3 this year.  If these were Okafor's rookie numbers, he'd be just a hair above Malcolm Brogdon for Rookie of the Year frontrunner despite the fact 21 year old Okafor literally 3 years younger than Brogdon.   Go figure.

Now of course, the DNP's hurt Okafor's hypothetical bid for 2016-17 Rookie of the Year, but there's obviously some extraordinary circumstances at play there.  He's currently playing behind the transcendent Joel Embiid and Nerlens Noel - a center that Steve Kyler calls one of the two "stars" on the team.  Philly is obviously trying to experiment right now with different rotations.
why are you like this?
It's a response to the idea that Philly couldn't get a late 1st for Okafor.  That's clearly not true.  He's outperforming every 2016 draftee this season.
I was clearly referring to the bolded text.
Nerlens Noel - a center that Steve Kyler calls one of the two "stars" on the team.
why did you write that in your post?
Because some people here seem to think very highly of Kyler's opinion and that's his most recent comments on this evolving situation:  https://twitter.com/stevekylerNBA/status/819528715772329984

Speaking of "sell high moments', I interpreted Kyler's comments as follows...

You know how people here are willing to trade Smart + Jaylen + Both Brooklyn 1sts for Cousins?  Well given DeMarcus' reputation as a loose cannon and his upcoming 200 million dollar contract, you have to figure Joel Embiid has more trade value.   I may be wrong, but I think Kyler might have been suggesting that Philly should use this sell high moment to move Embiid for a giant package and build around Simmons and Noel.   It actually might not be a bad idea if you think Embiid's either going to regress or re-injure himself.  The Sixers have a sell high moment here.  Nobody would expect it.   Two questions.  #1 - What's your best offer for Embiid.  #2 - Should Philly surprise everyone by taking it?

Lol more classic LarBrd33 logic - ignore half a dozen tweets to focus on one that fits his narrative.

Seriously, this trolling or just blatant bias/terrible logic, whatever it is, is starting to get a bit ridiculous. You seriously can't ignore some of his tweets and take others out of context to try and argue your point. That's just juvenile.

EDIT: For the third time in the last couple of days, I will post the proper context for people so that you don't deceive them with your flawed logic.

I hope Ainge is calling the Sixers for Noel.

For reals. He'd help us so, so much, and we certainly need it with how terrible we've been defensively and on the boards.

I think we can really challenge Toronto in the playoffs with a Noel upgrade.
I'm sure teams including Boston have asked about Noel, but until someone makes a worthwhile offer, there's no incentive for Philly to trade him.

Sure, if you ignore reality and pretty much only listen to fans on LibertyBallers.

It's widely reported that Noel does not want to stay there outside of the max, which they're certainly not going to give to a backup player behind Embiid, because he's not a backup big and doesn't want to be one. And even if they would be willing to do something that stupid, which they aren't, mind you, it's clear that that's not a move that good organizations make.

Traditionally, I can't say anything on this forum without someone labeling it trolling.  Whether it's me saying Paul pierce isn't as good as LeBron, me saying Rondo isn't as good as Chris Paul, me saying Embiid and Jabari Parker are worth more than our 2016 Brooklyn pick, me saying it's in the best interest for the Celtics to tank in 2013-14, etc.  The word doesn't apply.  Half the time, people just genuinely don't understand my point of view until years later.   The other half of the time, a couple people can't tell when I'm very blatantly being tongue-in-cheek.   

What are we even talking about at this point? 

That Philly can't get a late 1st for Okafor?  THat's obviously false.

That Okafor has been terrible?  Statistically he's outperforming every single player drafted in 2016 this season - so there's that.

That Noel hates his situation and wants to be traded?   As of today he says he says he is "definitely satisfied" with his role and perhaps the happiest he's ever been in Philly:  http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/sixers/20170113_Noel__definitely_satisfied__with_role_on_Sixers.html

That Steve Kyler thinks Noel and Simmons are the only two untradeable stars on Philly?   Take that up with Steve Kyler.  That's literally what he said.  Don't quote some rando's twitter as the word of god and then scoff when someone takes that same rando's twitter as the word of god.

That the Sixers missed their sell-high moment?   Truly debatable.   Noel's trade value presumably bottomed out a few weeks ago and has steadily increased.  If he proves capable of sharing the court with Embiid, proves that his newfound mid-range shot isn't a fluke, and if Philly keeps being relatively successful with him in the lineup - it's safe to say they will have a new "sell high" opportunity with the budding young center.    As for Okafor, he's down right now but he's still a 21 year old center who teams presumably think about as highly of as they did a year ago.  Whether or not they are willing to give up anything substantial and whether or not Philly is willing to take pennies on the dollar for a quality big man prospect with multiple years left on his rookie contract - that's up in the air right now.

This isn't obvious to me or a lot of a other people
It really should be.  Unless you genuinely think the kid is a cancer who makes a basketball team worse and never has hope of improving, there's just no way that's true.  He's a 21 year old who was selected 1st Team All Rookie last year.  You're talking about him not being worth an RJ Hunter level draft pick.   That makes no sense. 

If Okafor could be had for a late 1st, Boston would have him already.

Would you give up a lottery or mid first for MCW?
Would you give one up for Trey Burke?
Jordan Clarkson?
Mirotic?

Heck Mason Plumlee WAS traded for a late first a year after being named to the all-rookie first team!

These are all guys that were named all-rookie first team in the last few drafts and I highly doubt anyone would give up more than a late round first for any of them. With the exception of Mirotic all of them are still young.

You are on the wrong side of this.

I'm not sure how you are saying I am moving the goal posts (of if you are saying lb will) he said okafor couldn't get traded for a late and implied it was partly because he was all rookie first team. I pointed out there are many players that have had that value very recently after making all rookie first team and plumlee, a fellow big was actually just traded for exactly that shortly after winning the award. Found it fascinating lb just ignored it
Plumlee was a #22 pick...   

Teams don't take a guy 3rd, have him make the All-Rookie 1st team, have him outperform the entire 2016 draft class ... and then trade him for a 2nd round pick.  Lol

And yeah, I get you're suggesting that nobody would give up a late 1st rounder - not that Philly would take a late 1st rounder.    Either way, it's ridiculous.  Obviously teams would give up a late 1st for Okafor right now.  Obviously Philly wouldn't take that right now.

Also just a reminder, per usual I didn't start this Philly thread.  I'm not going to apologize for having a different opinion than some of the folks here.   Philly just wrapped up another win by beating the Hornets.  They have now won 5 of their last 6 games and have an identical record this year to the Boston Celtics.   Noel once again made positive contributions in a win and once again showed a mid-range jumper that is starting to look legit.   This thread is about having "missed a sell-high" moment.  I'd say it's pretty clear Noel's trade value has been steadily increasing as the possibility of a permanent role in Philly starts to become clear. 

« Reply #257 on: January 13, 2017, 09:32:01 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
How has this guy not been permanently banned? He does nothing but talk about another franchise with the sole intention of irritating people that actually care and root for the Celtics.

This whole Kyler tweet issue with Noel is pretty ridiculous. It's either willful ignorance or trolling, both of which aren't really called for here. Can't have serious conversations with him without some sort of ridiculousness like this.

I would agree latching onto a typo and running with it for 15 posts was on the more obnoxious end of things he does. When he is not doing that kind of stuff I enjoy debating with him

« Reply #258 on: January 13, 2017, 09:35:41 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

I would agree latching onto a typo and running with it for 15 posts was on the more obnoxious end of things he does. When he is not doing that kind of stuff I enjoy debating with him
Pretty sure Potter posted a word-vomit of that rando's irrelevant twitter posts about 5 times.   It's fair to point out that the rando's most recent Philly tweet was calling Noel a star.  Let's just ignore the twitter rando and move on.

I mean genuinely... I don't even know who the hell Steven Kyler is.  Does he front Kerosmith or something? 

« Reply #259 on: January 13, 2017, 09:38:05 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

He's unbearable. Regardless of whether you block him or not, his posts still appear when other members quote him. I can't imagine wasting as much time as he does simply for attention and to annoy others. His behavior is only allowed here. Honestly speaking, do you think he would be able to get away with this type of badgering on another site? It's obvious his leash extends longer than it should. Why?

« Reply #260 on: January 13, 2017, 09:41:23 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567

How is it obviously not true. This is what people have been saying for a long time (including 76ers fans) and you refuse to accept it.
The 76ers fans commenting that don't genuinely believe it.  And neither do you.   It's like someone here frustrated that Jaylen Brown doesn't get minutes and saying "he's probably not even worth a 2nd rounder at this point".

Okafor was was selected 1st-Team All-Rookie and his Per minute numbers this season actually show improvement.  If he could be had for a late 1st rounder, a team like Boston would already have him.  He's on the second year of a rookie contract and it's highly, highly improbable that the guy selected with the late 1st will be anywhere near the quality of prospect as Okafor.

I would give up a non-top10 projected pick...but that's because I'm intrigued...not because I'm convinced he'd live up to being a top 3 pick.
What's interesting is that his averages this season of 10.7 points, 4.8 rebounds, 1.1 assists, 1.1 blocks in 22.4mpg (11.29EFF) statistically put him slightly ahead of Malcolm Brogdon this season (11.00 EFF).  As we all know, 24 year old Malcolm Brogdon is the darling of the 2016 draft and would be frontrunner for Rookie of the Year if it weren't for 2014 draftees Embiid and Saric.   

So in other words, Jahlil Okafor is arguably outperforming every single 2016 draftee this season.  That lends credibility to the draftniks suggestion that Okafor was a better prospect than anyone available at #3 this year.  If these were Okafor's rookie numbers, he'd be just a hair above Malcolm Brogdon for Rookie of the Year frontrunner despite the fact 21 year old Okafor literally 3 years younger than Brogdon.   Go figure.

Now of course, the DNP's hurt Okafor's hypothetical bid for 2016-17 Rookie of the Year, but there's obviously some extraordinary circumstances at play there.  He's currently playing behind the transcendent Joel Embiid and Nerlens Noel - a center that Steve Kyler calls one of the two "stars" on the team.  Philly is obviously trying to experiment right now with different rotations.
why are you like this?
It's a response to the idea that Philly couldn't get a late 1st for Okafor.  That's clearly not true.  He's outperforming every 2016 draftee this season.
Nerlens Noel - a center that Steve Kyler calls one of the two "stars" on the team.
Because some people here seem to think very highly of Kyler's opinion and that's his most recent comments on this evolving situation:  https://twitter.com/stevekylerNBA/status/819528715772329984

You know how people here are willing to trade Smart + Jaylen + Both Brooklyn 1sts for Cousins?  Well given DeMarcus' reputation as a loose cannon and his upcoming 200 million dollar contract, you have to figure Joel Embiid has more trade value.   I may be wrong, but I think Kyler might have been suggesting that Philly should use this sell high moment to move Embiid for a giant package and build around Simmons and Noel.   It actually might not be a bad idea if you think Embiid's either going to regress or re-injure himself.  The Sixers have a sell high moment here.  Nobody would expect it.   Two questions.  #1 - What's your best offer for Embiid.  #2 - Should Philly surprise everyone by taking it?

Lol more classic LarBrd33 logic - ignore half a dozen tweets to focus on one that fits his narrative.

Seriously, this trolling or just blatant bias/terrible logic, whatever it is, is starting to get a bit ridiculous. You seriously can't ignore some of his tweets and take others out of context to try and argue your point. That's just juvenile.

EDIT: For the third time in the last couple of days, I will post the proper context for people so that you don't deceive them with your flawed logic.

For reals. He'd help us so, so much, and we certainly need it with how terrible we've been defensively and on the boards.

I'm sure teams including Boston have asked about Noel, but until someone makes a worthwhile offer, there's no incentive for Philly to trade him.

Sure, if you ignore reality and pretty much only listen to fans on LibertyBallers.

It's widely reported that Noel does not want to stay there outside of the max, which they're certainly not going to give to a backup player behind Embiid, because he's not a backup big and doesn't want to be one. And even if they would be willing to do something that stupid, which they aren't, mind you, it's clear that that's not a move that good organizations make.

Traditionally, I can't say anything on this forum without someone labeling it trolling.  Whether it's me saying Paul pierce isn't as good as LeBron, me saying Rondo isn't as good as Chris Paul, me saying Embiid and Jabari Parker are worth more than our 2016 Brooklyn pick, me saying it's in the best interest for the Celtics to tank in 2013-14, etc.  The word doesn't apply.  Half the time, people just genuinely don't understand my point of view until years later.   The other half of the time, a couple people can't tell when I'm very blatantly being tongue-in-cheek.   

That Okafor has been terrible?  Statistically he's outperforming every single player drafted in 2016 this season - so there's that.

That Noel hates his situation and wants to be traded?   As of today he says he says he is "definitely satisfied" with his role and perhaps the happiest he's ever been in Philly:  http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/sixers/20170113_Noel__definitely_satisfied__with_role_on_Sixers.html

That Steve Kyler thinks Noel and Simmons are the only two untradeable stars on Philly?   Take that up with Steve Kyler.  That's literally what he said.  Don't quote some rando's twitter as the word of god and then scoff when someone takes that same rando's twitter as the word of god.

That the Sixers missed their sell-high moment?   Truly debatable.   Noel's trade value presumably bottomed out a few weeks ago and has steadily increased.  If he proves capable of sharing the court with Embiid, proves that his newfound mid-range shot isn't a fluke, and if Philly keeps being relatively successful with him in the lineup - it's safe to say they will have a new "sell high" opportunity with the budding young center.    As for Okafor, he's down right now but he's still a 21 year old center who teams presumably think about as highly of as they did a year ago.  Whether or not they are willing to give up anything substantial and whether or not Philly is willing to take pennies on the dollar for a quality big man prospect with multiple years left on his rookie contract - that's up in the air right now.

It really should be.  Unless you genuinely think the kid is a cancer who makes a basketball team worse and never has hope of improving, there's just no way that's true.  He's a 21 year old who was selected 1st Team All Rookie last year.  You're talking about him not being worth an RJ Hunter level draft pick.   That makes no sense. 

Jordan Clarkson?
Mirotic?

Heck Mason Plumlee WAS traded for a late first a year after being named to the all-rookie first team!

These are all guys that were named all-rookie first team in the last few drafts and I highly doubt anyone would give up more than a late round first for any of them. With the exception of Mirotic all of them are still young.

I'm not sure how you are saying I am moving the goal posts (of if you are saying lb will) he said okafor couldn't get traded for a late and implied it was partly because he was all rookie first team. I pointed out there are many players that have had that value very recently after making all rookie first team and plumlee, a fellow big was actually just traded for exactly that shortly after winning the award. Found it fascinating lb just ignored it

Because you went from "the Sixers couldn't get a late 1st for Okafor" to "here are these other lesser rookies who would get a late 1st" and thought that justified your point.

If you truly think that no team in the NBA would give up a 1st for Okafor, that's fine. You're entitled to your opinion. But it's about as realistic as saying that no one would give more than a mid 1st for Lebron.

Now I need a shower. I feel icky after defending LarBrd, even if just in this very small way (and no way am I defending many of his other absurd statements in this thread but this one is the one that got him really started).
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #261 on: January 13, 2017, 09:46:06 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

why are you like this?

Jordan Clarkson?
Mirotic?

Because you went from "the Sixers couldn't get a late 1st for Okafor" to "here are these other lesser rookies who would get a late 1st" and thought that justified your point.

If you truly think that no team in the NBA would give up a 1st for Okafor, that's fine. You're entitled to your opinion. But it's about as realistic as saying that no one would give more than a mid 1st for Lebron.

Now I need a shower. I feel icky after defending LarBrd, even if just in this very small way (and no way am I defending many of his other absurd statements in this thread but this one is the one that got him really started).
Pointing out that a late 1st round pick prospect was traded for a late 1st round pick as proof that last year's #3 pick could only fetch a 2nd rounder this year earned my man clay a VIP Pass to ride rollercoasters with me at Minutia World. 

« Reply #262 on: January 13, 2017, 09:48:11 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Can someone post 2016 stats for Noel plus minus? Every box I look at it always seems like he is a brutal negative when on the floor. Hey, sixers win again and he was a juicy -14...perfect..just what we need...on the other hand. embiid is insanely valuable.....if he stays healthy, sky is limit...I wish we had player with that potential...

« Reply #263 on: January 13, 2017, 09:48:15 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
By the way, the Sixers won again. Okafor got another DNP-CD.

« Reply #264 on: January 13, 2017, 09:50:27 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
By the way, the Sixers won again. Okafor got another DNP-CD.
Maybe they should cut him.

Sounds like he's starting tomorrow.   This is exactly what I was suggesting they should do over the Summer when people suggested they "needed" to trade one "immediately".  Take time to evaluate what the teams needs are.  See how Embiid plays.  Try playing Okafor with Embiid.  Try playing Embiid with Noel.   Experiment a bunch and make a decision when enough data has been collected.

I think it's pretty clear one of Noel or Okafor is getting traded.  A week ago most would say Noel was the odd man out.   Today it looks like Okafor.   I guess we'll see what happens.

Interestingly enough, when Okafor was getting minutes people speculated he was being showcased.  Now that Noel is getting minutes, people are speculating he's being showcased.   Really, both are being showcased.  They probably should move both of them.  But there's something to the Noel + Embiid pairing that I think warrants additional exploration.  It might actually work to have those two sharing the center minutes and occassionally playing together.

« Reply #265 on: January 13, 2017, 09:57:25 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

why are you like this?

Jordan Clarkson?
Mirotic?

yea okafor is on par with Lebron. I guess you just proved all I need to know. Good chat

Ps please watch okafor cause you clearly don't. He is awful

« Reply #266 on: January 13, 2017, 10:00:38 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

why are you like this?

Jordan Clarkson?
Mirotic?

yea okafor is on par with Lebron. I guess you just proved all I need to know. Good chat
Clay, you know I actually don't think Okafor is that good.  I dont' think you could add him to the Celtics right now and make us contenders or anything.   He's got a lot of things he needs to improve at.  Right now he's a pretty talented low post scorer with some flaws in his game.  My point is that he's a year older than Jaylen Brown, twice as productive, and I haven't ruled out the possibility he'll eventually develop into a special player.    If Ainge could get him for a late 1st, he'd already be a Celtic.

« Reply #267 on: January 13, 2017, 10:04:20 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567

why are you like this?

Jordan Clarkson?
Mirotic?

Ps please watch okafor cause you clearly don't. He is awful

Please learn something about the NBA because clearly you know nothing Jon Snow.

See how easy that is? And you thought you were being witty.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #268 on: January 13, 2017, 10:08:43 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
I guess it depends on how much data they need. Noel was a plus in advanced models without Embiid. Okafor is enjoying back to back seasons of being a horrid minus, even with Joel.

All hope is not lost. Kanter started off similarly negative, but has become an elite 6th man. Much like young Kanter, it's hard to give playing time to Okafor without tanking, but Philly have time.

« Reply #269 on: January 13, 2017, 10:15:18 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
I guess it depends on how much data they need. Noel was a plus in advanced models without Embiid. Okafor is enjoying back to back seasons of being a horrid minus, even with Joel.

All hope is not lost. Kanter started off similarly negative, but has become an elite 6th man. Much like young Kanter, it's hard to give playing time to Okafor without tanking, but Philly have time.
Considering Noel was injured for the first couple months of the season and still presumably on a bit of a minute restriction while he gets healthy... they haven't really gotten a look at him until recently.   They are 5-1 in games Embiid plays and Noel gets at least 11 minutes.   Probably fair to keep exploring that before trading someone.

What if that Noel and Embiid combo actually works?  It would have been pretty stupid if they had traded Noel over the Summer without experimenting with it.