Author Topic: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)  (Read 375609 times)

Re: The Sixers missed their sell high moment
« Reply #210 on: January 13, 2017, 03:19:01 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
The rise and fall of Okafor:

http://phillysportsnetwork.com/2017/01/13/okafor/

Apparently, they can't even get a late first round pick for him now.
That's obviously not true.

How is it obviously not true. This is what people have been saying for a long time (including 76ers fans) and you refuse to accept it.
The 76ers fans commenting that don't genuinely believe it.  And neither do you.   It's like someone here frustrated that Jaylen Brown doesn't get minutes and saying "he's probably not even worth a 2nd rounder at this point".

Okafor was was selected 1st-Team All-Rookie and his Per minute numbers this season actually show improvement.  If he could be had for a late 1st rounder, a team like Boston would already have him.  He's on the second year of a rookie contract and it's highly, highly improbable that the guy selected with the late 1st will be anywhere near the quality of prospect as Okafor.

Ya'll are just being hyperbolic.

Does per minute mean much though...when you are playing less?

His per 100 possessions show a downward trend...

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/o/okafoja01.html

I would give up a non-top10 projected pick...but that's because I'm intrigued...not because I'm convinced he'd live up to being a top 3 pick.

« Reply #211 on: January 13, 2017, 03:37:00 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

How is it obviously not true. This is what people have been saying for a long time (including 76ers fans) and you refuse to accept it.
The 76ers fans commenting that don't genuinely believe it.  And neither do you.   It's like someone here frustrated that Jaylen Brown doesn't get minutes and saying "he's probably not even worth a 2nd rounder at this point".

Okafor was was selected 1st-Team All-Rookie and his Per minute numbers this season actually show improvement.  If he could be had for a late 1st rounder, a team like Boston would already have him.  He's on the second year of a rookie contract and it's highly, highly improbable that the guy selected with the late 1st will be anywhere near the quality of prospect as Okafor.

I would give up a non-top10 projected pick...but that's because I'm intrigued...not because I'm convinced he'd live up to being a top 3 pick.
What's interesting is that his averages this season of 10.7 points, 4.8 rebounds, 1.1 assists, 1.1 blocks in 22.4mpg (11.29EFF) statistically put him slightly ahead of Malcolm Brogdon this season (11.00 EFF).  As we all know, 24 year old Malcolm Brogdon is the darling of the 2016 draft and would be frontrunner for Rookie of the Year if it weren't for 2014 draftees Embiid and Saric.   

So in other words, Jahlil Okafor is arguably outperforming every single 2016 draftee this season.  That lends credibility to the draftniks suggestion that Okafor was a better prospect than anyone available at #3 this year.  If these were Okafor's rookie numbers, he'd be just a hair above Malcolm Brogdon for Rookie of the Year frontrunner despite the fact 21 year old Okafor literally 3 years younger than Brogdon.   Go figure.

Now of course, the DNP's hurt Okafor's hypothetical bid for 2016-17 Rookie of the Year, but there's obviously some extraordinary circumstances at play there.  He's currently playing behind the transcendent Joel Embiid and Nerlens Noel - a center that Steve Kyler calls one of the two "stars" on the team.  Philly is obviously trying to experiment right now with different rotations.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 03:50:00 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #212 on: January 13, 2017, 04:00:33 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

What's interesting is that his averages this season of 10.7 points, 4.8 rebounds, 1.1 assists, 1.1 blocks in 22.4mpg (11.29EFF) statistically put him slightly ahead of Malcolm Brogdon this season (11.00 EFF).  As we all know, 24 year old Malcolm Brogdon is the darling of the 2016 draft and would be frontrunner for Rookie of the Year if it weren't for 2014 draftees Embiid and Saric.   

So in other words, Jahlil Okafor is arguably outperforming every single 2016 draftee this season.  That lends credibility to the draftniks suggestion that Okafor was a better prospect than anyone available at #3 this year.  If these were Okafor's rookie numbers, he'd be just a hair above Malcolm Brogdon for Rookie of the Year frontrunner despite the fact 21 year old Okafor literally 3 years younger than Brogdon.   Go figure.

Now of course, the DNP's hurt Okafor's hypothetical bid for 2016-17 Rookie of the Year, but there's obviously some extraordinary circumstances at play there.  He's currently playing behind the transcendent Joel Embiid and Nerlens Noel - a center that Steve Kyler calls one of the two "stars" on the team.  Philly is obviously trying to experiment right now with different rotations.
why are you like this?
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #213 on: January 13, 2017, 04:04:48 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

why are you like this?
It's a response to the idea that Philly couldn't get a late 1st for Okafor.  That's clearly not true.  This Summer many in the media called him better than any 2016 prospect available outside of Ben Simmons and maybe Brandon Ingram.  We're well into the season and despite having to share minutes with two other great centers, he's still outperforming every 2016 draftee this season. 

« Reply #214 on: January 13, 2017, 04:06:48 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141

Seriously mods, why is stuff like this allowed on the board?

It is incorrect information that is intentionally posted in order to get a rise and reaction out of other posters.

It also significantly brings down the quality of posting here.

He can call it "comedy" all he wants, but it is trolling and should not be allowed.

This is, again, one of most well moderated boards I have frequented (since 06), and I don't see why this sort of crap is allowed to continue.

« Reply #215 on: January 13, 2017, 04:06:51 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

why are you like this?
It's a response to the idea that Philly couldn't get a late 1st for Okafor.  That's clearly not true.  He's outperforming every 2016 draftee this season.
I was clearly referring to the bolded text.
Nerlens Noel - a center that Steve Kyler calls one of the two "stars" on the team.
why did you write that in your post?
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #216 on: January 13, 2017, 04:09:08 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

why are you like this?
It's a response to the idea that Philly couldn't get a late 1st for Okafor.  That's clearly not true.  He's outperforming every 2016 draftee this season.
Nerlens Noel - a center that Steve Kyler calls one of the two "stars" on the team.
Because some people here seem to think very highly of Kyler's opinion and that's his most recent comments on this evolving situation:  https://twitter.com/stevekylerNBA/status/819528715772329984

Speaking of "sell high moments', I interpreted Kyler's comments as follows...

You know how people here are willing to trade Smart + Jaylen + Both Brooklyn 1sts for Cousins?  Well given DeMarcus' reputation as a loose cannon and his upcoming 200 million dollar contract, you have to figure Joel Embiid has more trade value.   I may be wrong, but I think Kyler might have been suggesting that Philly should use this sell high moment to move Embiid for a giant package and build around Simmons and Noel.   It actually might not be a bad idea if you think Embiid's either going to regress or re-injure himself.  The Sixers have a sell high moment here.  Nobody would expect it.   Two questions.  #1 - What's your best offer for Embiid.  #2 - Should Philly surprise everyone by taking it?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 04:16:03 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #217 on: January 13, 2017, 04:10:13 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
Lol, I don't think Larbrd should be banned. He's entertaining. Keeps these boards alive. Sixers are going to be great if healthy. You can't argue against Embiid, Simmons, Saric, and whichever assets they obtain for Okafor and Noel. That's a pretty good team.

« Reply #218 on: January 13, 2017, 04:11:23 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129

why are you like this?
Because some people here seem to think very highly of Kyler's opinion and that's his most recent comments on this evolving situation:  https://twitter.com/stevekylerNBA/status/819528715772329984

I don't think he has broken any trades like ever. Don't really take this guys insight seriously. Call me when a Woj report on the Sixers comes out.

« Reply #219 on: January 13, 2017, 04:11:35 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

Im also curious where you find this eff stat or do you calculate it yourself? Im struggling to find it.

« Reply #220 on: January 13, 2017, 04:13:56 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

why are you like this?

I don't think he has broken any trades like ever. Don't really take this guys insight seriously. Call me when a Woj report on the Sixers comes out.
I don't take his insight seriously.   I hadn't even heard of the guy until someone started sharing all his tweets.

« Reply #221 on: January 13, 2017, 04:15:05 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Im also curious where you find this eff stat or do you calculate it yourself? Im struggling to find it.
I use a system that isn't available to the general public, but I'm pretty sure those are available on NBA.com's stat page if you dig around a bit.

« Reply #222 on: January 13, 2017, 04:15:09 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203

why are you like this?
It's a response to the idea that Philly couldn't get a late 1st for Okafor.  That's clearly not true.  This Summer many in the media called him better than any 2016 prospect available outside of Ben Simmons and maybe Brandon Ingram.  We're well into the season and despite having to share minutes with two other great centers, he's still outperforming every 2016 draftee this season.

Just offensively, right?

« Reply #223 on: January 13, 2017, 04:15:32 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

why are you like this?

Speaking of "sell high moments', I interpreted Kyler's comments as follows...

You know how people here are willing to trade Smart + Jaylen + Both Brooklyn 1sts for Cousins?  Well given DeMarcus' reputation as a loose cannon and his upcoming 200 million dollar contract, you have to figure Joel Embiid has more trade value.   I may be wrong, but I think Kyler might have been suggesting that Philly should use this sell high moment to move Embiid for a giant package and build around Simmons and Noel.   It actually might not be a bad idea if you think Embiid's either going to regress or re-injure himself.  The Sixers have a sell high moment here.  Nobody would expect it.   What do you think?
it is beyond obvious that Kyler meant Simmons/Embiid. I dont understand your insistence on being an ass.

« Reply #224 on: January 13, 2017, 04:17:23 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

why are you like this?

Just offensively, right?
That team is a bad fit for him, but there's actually been some write-ups suggesting Okafor's defense has improved this year - as crazy as that sounds. 

I can't speak for the rest of the 2016 draft.  It's been pretty dreadful.  Have you noticed any Marcus Smarts who are impacting the game without stats?  I haven't noticed any.  I'm purely talking about basic statistical impact.  Okafor has outperformed everyone in the 2016 draft this season despite the limited minutes.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 04:26:43 PM by LarBrd33 »