Author Topic: Who Says We're Old?  (Read 3813 times)

Who Says We're Old?
« on: December 11, 2009, 03:19:37 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
I'm getting a bit perplexed and annoyed at all the "Big Three are old" comments ... I don't see it at all. KG, Ray and Paul are moving so well on both ends of the floor, taking it strong to the bucket, hustling on defense ... I think all three of them look as good as they ever have ... maybe their athleticism is not quite what it was, but what little they lack there, they more than make up for with maturity, experience and BBIQ.

They're getting up in the air, running the fast-break, fighting quickly around picks, going strong to the hoop, (even Ray dunking on bigger, younger players), fighting for boards, going to the floor for loose balls ... they're not only the core of this team, but they are setting the standard for the younger players, and not with their mouths, but with their actions. (I also don't see KG's knee as an issue anymore ... you can tell he's not thinking about it at all).

I said it early in the season and I'll stick to it: this is a better team than two years ago, and this is the best they've looked since the KG and Ray acquisitions.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

Re: Who Says We're Old?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 03:39:42 AM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1696
In stretches, this team looks absolutely unbeatable.  I've yet to see them play that way for 48 minutes in the last month or so, but they're still clearly a premier team in this league.

The window will remain open for a couple of years, I think, provided we stay healthy.  If we do, then the "This is the Celtics' last year, they're too old" talk is crap, in my opinion. 

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 04:44:52 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1397
With how the guys are playing right now, and how healthy they have been this year, this is a valid question. However, those are two pretty big factors. I think half the problem with aging as an athlete is losing your quickness, endurance on the floor and overall athleticism. However, the other half is the ability recover from injuries and how often injuries occur. For the most part as guys bodies get older they are more susceptible to injuries and their body does not respond as quickly in recover. Additionally, they have lingering previous injuries that could sprout up at any time. I think this whole area is the biggest concern.

So if we can avoid that whole other half for the next few years, then yea, we have a few more years where we can content. However, this is a really huge and fair if to consider.

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 05:29:33 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
It's early in the season.

We ought to revisit this topic in April.  If age is a factor, it'll show then.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 05:55:48 AM »

Kiorrik

In stretches, this team looks absolutely unbeatable.
If we can find a way to consistently perform like that, honestly, the Bulls record is within reach. My lord, we're absolutely sickeningly awesome at times man. Like you said, for stretches, we are unbeatable. This goes especially for our offense, which is as close to a natural thing as it comes. I don't think we're know for our offense, but if our D flows, our offense is so insanely fluid...

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 08:15:20 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
This team has 4 older players, 2 of which are the most important.  But we have a bunch of younger guys that contribute, Rondo, Perk, Baby, Shelden, Tony, Daniels.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 08:34:40 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Well, in relative terms, our team *is* old.  Four of our top six are all 32+ years old.  That's old, in NBA terms.

However, as Bahku points out, that doesn't mean they're ineffective, or destined to break down.  The "big three" are all playing well, and I'd still take our starting lineup over anybody's.

The scary thing to think about is how good this team would be if all the players were in their physical prime (but at their current maturity).  A team with a peek KG / Pierce / Ray / Perk / Rondo / Rasheed would roll through the league without any true challengers, I think.  This "old" team will have to fight for the title a bit, but I think they'll get there.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2009, 09:54:12 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I'm getting a bit perplexed and annoyed at all the "Big Three are old" comments ... I don't see it at all. KG, Ray and Paul are moving so well on both ends of the floor, taking it strong to the bucket, hustling on defense ... I think all three of them look as good as they ever have ... maybe their athleticism is not quite what it was, but what little they lack there, they more than make up for with maturity, experience and BBIQ.

They're getting up in the air, running the fast-break, fighting quickly around picks, going strong to the hoop, (even Ray dunking on bigger, younger players), fighting for boards, going to the floor for loose balls ... they're not only the core of this team, but they are setting the standard for the younger players, and not with their mouths, but with their actions. (I also don't see KG's knee as an issue anymore ... you can tell he's not thinking about it at all).

I said it early in the season and I'll stick to it: this is a better team than two years ago, and this is the best they've looked since the KG and Ray acquisitions.

Well, the Big 3 ARE old.  There is no point in denying it.  By all measures, they are on the backside of their careers.  However, they are not washed up.  They are all still clinging to their primes enough that they are still elite (or close to elite) players. 

But where the "old" part comes in is that people think they will break down, if they are not used properly.  A lot of this comes from the way Pierce and Allen seemed to breakdown in the playoffs last year, after having to carry the team without Garnett, or an adequate backup wing for several months. 

Combine that with the fact that KG was returning from his first major injury of his career, and came into the season looking like a shadow of his former self, and of course people are going to make the old argument.

Now, Garnett seems to be regaining some (but not all) of his athleticism, and Pierce and Allen seem to be rejuvenated after the summer off.  But that doesn't mean they can bounce back as well as a 26 year old.  They are going to struggle on back to backs, and crazy stretches even more than young teams will.  Their legs will get tired, and their jumpers will stop falling.  But this is just part of Basketball.

Ultimately, the biggest concern with their age is whether they will start to break down.  This is particularly the concern with KG, since many people think his knee injury was more of a chronic thing than just something that gets taken care of and is as good as new.  But if this team can stay healthy, they are as good, if not better than any team in the league, despite their age.

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2009, 10:19:02 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
We are playing better of late, for sure. But we are older than two years ago.

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2009, 10:29:20 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
We are playing better of late, for sure. But we are older than two years ago.

We are also older than we were last month, but is it affecting our play? Most recently one of our most impressive wins came on the 2nd night of a back to back on the road against a young up and coming athletic team...and it wasn't even a contest (OKC game).

Agreed though we need to revisit this in April but me likey so far.

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2009, 10:56:29 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1625
  • What a Pub Should Be
Honestly, its really too early to be singing our praises here.  We've already seen one bad stretch from this team and I'm willing to bet we'll see another one or two before all is said and done this regular season.

The real judgement won't be made until playoff time.  If guys are hurt or are running on fumes, the views here will be quite different.  Let's hope not but its only December.  Still a lot of basketball to be played.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2009, 05:36:04 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Honestly, its really too early to be singing our praises here.  We've already seen one bad stretch from this team and I'm willing to bet we'll see another one or two before all is said and done this regular season.

The real judgement won't be made until playoff time.  If guys are hurt or are running on fumes, the views here will be quite different.  Let's hope not but its only December.  Still a lot of basketball to be played.

Absolutely ... and I agree. But my point pertains to how they look NOW, and how they're playing at present, not what may or may not happen in the future. Age-wise they are technically one of the older teams in the league, but they do not play that way now.

Almost to a person they are moving their feet faster, fighting through picks better, seeing the floor more completely, passing more selflessly, shooting more fluidly, diving to the floor for the loose ball more often, boxing out more effectively, and running the court more quickly than they were in '07-'08.

How long it will last, no one knows ... they're certainly at least approaching the time when they'll be slowing down, (the Big Three, anyway), but from what I've seen this year, (as the result of what they did in the off-season to lose weight and get into better shape), I think they can still compete on this same level for at least 2 or 3 more years, pending injuries and health.

Of course the future is a different subject, because no one knows what it will bring, or how long they'll remain at this level, but as far as how they're playing right now, they are certainly not showing their age ... and not showing many indications that it's even a consideration for the near future.

As far as singing our praises too early, I respectfully disagree ... I think we should "sing our praises" whenever and wherever possible. There's never any shortage here of analysis and criticism when things aren't going well and the team isn't playing their best, so why shouldn't we dole out praise just as emphatically when things are going good? Isn't that what we're all striving for in the first place?

This team is playing great right now, and they are not showing their age at all ... I think that's exactly the time to be singing our praises. We are all aware of the realities of the ages of the Big Three, and that there will come a time when it will be a bigger issue. But for now let's revel a little in the excellence of this team and how they're playing ... there will be plenty of opportunities in the future for being cautious and apprehensive.

Personally, I live for times like these, when the Celtics are flowing and blowing teams out, when I can stand back and witness basketball being played the way it should be played, and when I know that when we're playing this way, there are few teams that can compete. Let's talk about the playoffs when they get here, but for now let's sing our praises as loud as we can ... while we have the opportunity. ;)

« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 05:41:38 AM by Bahku »

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2009, 07:21:01 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
Age is relative.  Doc is doing a great job of keeping the minutes of the big 5 down.  Experience and seasoning are showing to advantage.    Celtics are now in first place in the League!!! They have bypassed the Lakers, despite having a lopsided home/away schedule and with Davis and Daniels on injured reserve list. Rondo is the key...I still cringe every time he hits the floor...but he always seems to get up stronger and with even more purpose...Perk is handling all the tough centers in the league, and I absolutely love Sheed under the basket.  Other teams can't afford to double team anyone, everyone on this team is dangerous.  Passing is becoming more crisp and deadly.   Tony Allen has been a pleasant surprise, as has the entire bench (possibly the best bench in the NBA, with players to grow for the future). 
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2009, 07:33:15 AM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
Our age is not showing so far and it's all good. However, it is clear that it is way too early in the season to cheer about it, the injuries should be our biggest concern. I was scared when I saw Paul hurt yesterday or Rondo going hard to the floor after that punk of Miller knocked him down. We have a reserve of talent on this team bur right now, without Baby and Marquis, we're really thin so it's a good thing when we blowout teams like yesterday and that Doc can rest the starters (25 minutes a game is perfect).

Our guys, especially our veterans, are in great shape because they take care very well of their bodies. Hopefully this dedication and training will pay and we will be spared by injuries...

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2009, 07:42:21 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Our age is not showing so far and it's all good. However, it is clear that it is way too early in the season to cheer about it, the injuries should be our biggest concern. I was scared when I saw Paul hurt yesterday or Rondo going hard to the floor after that punk of Miller knocked him down. We have a reserve of talent on this team bur right now, without Baby and Marquis, we're really thin so it's a good thing when we blowout teams like yesterday and that Doc can rest the starters (25 minutes a game is perfect).

Our guys, especially our veterans, are in great shape because they take care very well of their bodies. Hopefully this dedication and training will pay and we will be spared by injuries...

Too early to cheer about it? Sorry, but I just don't get that. We're not showing our age now, we're playing extremely well now, so we shouldn't cheer about it? Why not? Let's wait until later in the season when it's still the same, (but enough time has passed), or when it changes and then we can complain? So how long before we can cheer about it? January? March? When it's too late because we're injured? Don't get it at all ... when the team is playing well, we SHOULD be cheering about it ... when they're not showing their age, they should be praised for it, that's what being a fan is about. Sorry, but if we all waited until the last game of the playoffs to start cheering, there would be little left to feel good about during the year. There's no lack of criticism when they're struggling, and there should be no lack of praise and optimism when they're playing well. Think I'll keep cheering, thank you. ;)

* BAHKU MUSIC *