Author Topic: The 'refs bailed out the Celtics' and other excuses why we keep winning thread  (Read 6020 times)

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I saw this thread a few hours ago, glanced over it then went to see Justice League with my oldest son.

LOVED the movie. If you like DC or comic books you SHOULD go see it. You won't be disappointed. We weren't.

But back to the game....the GSW - BOS game "I" saw gave me a glimpse of our Boston Celtics that I've RARELY seen - a team that KNEW they had to defend just about EVERY SHOT from EVERY GSW player.

Coach Brad Stevens prepared BOS for this game. He set the tone and those players KNEW what they had to do.

They ran at Steph.

Klay was sucking wind with several minutes still left.

BOS made VERY FEW mistakes.....

Durant's height saved him on several of his shots because he TOO - was well defended.

Back to my "RARE" statement--------when the great Glenn "Doc" Rivers coached KG, Paul and Co we'd see MAYBE 2-3 quarters of stifling defense against our toughest foes...then due to simple lack of focus or our advancing age we couldn't (or didn't) keep it up.

Not THIS team.

We attacked Defensively AND Offensively - nearly the ENTIRE game.

The Golden State Warriors faced their TOUGHEST and GRITTIEST foe last night - in perhaps the last few years.

We EARNED that win.  GSW "WANTED" that win.

If we stay healthy we could very well see them again in June BUT we first have to deal with CLE, DET, TOR, PHI, WAS and perhaps even MIL.

Boy IF / WHEN we get Gordon back look out.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 11:10:31 PM by GreenFaith1819 »

Offline jbp126

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 51
I was a little surprised to hear Danny Leroux address the officiating on Dunc’d On the next day. He’s a Golden State guy but they try to be as objective as possible and rarely call out the refs so it seemed a little petty of him to bring it up. Funny, I’ve never heard him bring up the officiating when GS has gotten the benefit of plenty of calls in plenty of games.

The Kyrie call at the end wasn’t as controversial as some are making it out to be. He got hit going to the hoop and if there was no call, Al would’ve gotten the putback. Jaylen climbing Klay like a ladder and swatting his wrist was another story but that wasn’t in the deciding moments.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I was a little surprised to hear Danny Leroux address the officiating on Dunc’d On the next day. He’s a Golden State guy but they try to be as objective as possible and rarely call out the refs so it seemed a little petty of him to bring it up. Funny, I’ve never heard him bring up the officiating when GS has gotten the benefit of plenty of calls in plenty of games.

The Kyrie call at the end wasn’t as controversial as some are making it out to be. He got hit going to the hoop and if there was no call, Al would’ve gotten the putback. Jaylen climbing Klay like a ladder and swatting his wrist was another story but that wasn’t in the deciding moments.

Golden State gets more bad calls / no calls in their favor than any team in the league. The NBA has allowed them to man-handle opponents, get away with techs, and rewarded Draymond for targeting opponents.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Tp, greenath.

One other thing I noticed last night was Kevin Durant’s game. I feel like almost every elite player has tricks designed  to get a foul, not make a basket. Durant didn’t seem to do that last night. For example I never got the sense he was trying to fake Jaylen Brown into the air so he could jump into him and get to the line. Compare Toronto... I’m tempted to say he’s naive for leaving money on the table, but mostly I respect him more..
That's because his signature rip through to draw fouls has been taken away.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

Golden State gets more bad calls / no calls in their favor than any team in the league. The NBA has allowed them to man-handle opponents, get away with techs, and rewarded Draymond for targeting opponents.

To be fair Danny Leroux wasn't actually questioning the officiating as the above quote implies, I believe he went on to say as a whole that the officiating wasn't that bad. He did have a problem with that final Kyrie call, and he said that as a whole it was a shame the game had to really shift on a call like that because its all anybody would talk about. And he's not wrong, the call was borderline (50/50, I wouldn't have called it, let them play), and people are using it to devalue the Celtics win. Overall tho he didn't have much problem with the officiating even pointing out numerus ties that the warriors can get foul prone.

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

To be fair Danny Leroux wasn't actually questioning the officiating as the above quote implies, I believe he went on to say as a whole that the officiating wasn't that bad. He did have a problem with that final Kyrie call, and he said that as a whole it was a shame the game had to really shift on a call like that because its all anybody would talk about. And he's not wrong, the call was borderline (50/50, I wouldn't have called it, let them play), and people are using it to devalue the Celtics win. Overall tho he didn't have much problem with the officiating even pointing out numerus ties that the warriors can get foul prone.
I'm not a Danny Leroux fan but your take on what he said is accurate.  He did mention a nice stat that both teams had almost 80% of their shots contested.  I doubt GSW experiences that much especially in the regular season. 

Offline jbp126

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 51

They’re both always very measured with what they say. It’s a rarity that officiating is ever brought up on the podcast so it’s telling when it is and it’s no coincidence that Leroux is a GS guy. It was the first podcast I listened to the next day about the game so it was disappointing to hear that become part of the narrative when that’s not the case when GS gets favorable officiating.