Author Topic: The 'refs bailed out the Celtics' and other excuses why we keep winning thread  (Read 6019 times)

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Nothing will change until the Celtics beat certain teams in the playoffs.   

Beat the Cavs in the playoffs, move up a level of respect.  (though I can see the media saying the Cavs have come back down)

At some point we're going to have to start saying "IF the Cavs make the playoffs". Seriously, can they even withstand a Lebron ankle sprain at this point?

LeBron has never missed more than 13 games in a season, and his longest stretch of consecutive games missed was 9.  Unless IT is unable to return and/or a shell of his former self (which I wouldn’t bet on), they’ll make the playoffs.  They might cost themselves home court in the second round, but they’ll be there, barring the worst injury of LeBron’s career.

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Vegas gave the Warriors 7 points at the Garden.

7 1/2 actually.

Online gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

Beat the Cavs in the playoffs, move up a level of respect.  (though I can see the media saying the Cavs have come back down)

At some point we're going to have to start saying "IF the Cavs make the playoffs". Seriously, can they even withstand a Lebron ankle sprain at this point?

LeBron has never missed more than 13 games in a season, and his longest stretch of consecutive games missed was 9.  Unless IT is unable to return and/or a shell of his former self (which I wouldn’t bet on), they’ll make the playoffs.  They might cost themselves home court in the second round, but they’ll be there, barring the worst injury of LeBron’s career.

Lebron has never been this old, playing this many minutes, and carrying this much of a load. I don't see how the career of a younger Lebron is an indication of how healthy an older Lebron will be. There's a ticking clock for everyone. Will it be this year that he wears down? Who knows? But his heavy minutes are predictor of trouble. The fact that a younger Lebron has been healthy is not a predictor that an older Lebron also will be. The rest of the team needs to step up and Lebron needs to rest more while the team still wins.

Offline Valid

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27

Lebron has never been this old, playing this many minutes, and carrying this much of a load. I don't see how the career of a younger Lebron is an indication of how healthy an older Lebron will be. There's a ticking clock for everyone. Will it be this year that he wears down? Who knows? But his heavy minutes are predictor of trouble. The fact that a younger Lebron has been healthy is not a predictor that an older Lebron also will be. The rest of the team needs to step up and Lebron needs to rest more while the team still wins.
Dude, it's the East. The Cavaliers will make the playoffs.

Offline Jamilmac99

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 9
The narrative today is driving me insane. The refs bailed us out, the free throw disparity was almost double between the Celtics and Warriors blah blah blah.
I agree Kyries end of game foul should not have been called, however why are we hearing so much about the refs and not how we held the Warriors to 88 POINTS! How we held Steph and Klay to 22 points COMBINED?!?
Maybe the disparity is because the Celtics are a driving team and the Warriors are a shooting team, obviously free throws will favor those who drive to the hoop.

I think it's time we keep a running list of excuses why the Celtics keep winning.

In addition to the refs bailing us out here are some of my other favorites so far this season:

"soft schedule"
"no significant road wins"
"we beat the spurs because of no Kawhi"
"The young guys won't be able to last a full season at this level"

Lets keep adding to the list, and hopefully Stevens and the coaching staff keep reminding this team how they are being disrespected across the media.

I am just curious that no one seems to mention that if the foul was not called Horford had an easy bunny put back. He layed it in on the play. Give me a break with the whining. The Warriors are not used to losing and they have forgotten how to lose gracefully, including Kerr. There were plenty of crappy calls that went against the Celtics in the first half. How about the phantom shooting foul when the GS player was clearly passing, might have been Igudola not sure. Green hacks and holds on almost every play and very rarely is called. Please stop with the embarrassing excuses.

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Yeah, it was a bad call, but there are a handful of bad calls in every game. The Celts earned that game.

Now, in some theoretical simulation where we replayed this season 100 times, would I expect a 14 game streak to happen consistently? No, probably not. But, for every excuse why our record is a fluke, there have been equal reasons why you can argue the Celts have had bad luck with injuries, scheduling, etc.
Yes, there were a bunch of cringeworthy calls last night. I'm not sure how to feel about the fact that a good glut of them went our way. Are we finally being given the benefit of a doubt by the refs?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I would like to say OKC was a significant team that we played...in the 14 game win streak, a few of the team i wouldn't really label as "bad teams"

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I would like to say OKC was a significant team that we played...in the 14 game win streak, a few of the team i wouldn't really label as "bad teams"

yup.....at the time we met OKC , they were heralded as the next super power in the West behind GS.  Mello was a god again .....he plays unselfish ball......they look unbeatable ., yada yada yada ...media frenzy with the " Name " players to garner lots of attention to their media outlets .  Bah humbug ....

Since that loss to the C's they haven't been riding so high.   Their egos took a massive hit.

Online gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
The narrative today is driving me insane. The refs bailed us out, the free throw disparity was almost double between the Celtics and Warriors blah blah blah.
I agree Kyries end of game foul should not have been called, however why are we hearing so much about the refs and not how we held the Warriors to 88 POINTS! How we held Steph and Klay to 22 points COMBINED?!?
Maybe the disparity is because the Celtics are a driving team and the Warriors are a shooting team, obviously free throws will favor those who drive to the hoop.

I think it's time we keep a running list of excuses why the Celtics keep winning.

In addition to the refs bailing us out here are some of my other favorites so far this season:

"soft schedule"

Lets keep adding to the list, and hopefully Stevens and the coaching staff keep reminding this team how they are being disrespected across the media.

I am just curious that no one seems to mention that if the foul was not called Horford had an easy bunny put back. He layed it in on the play. Give me a break with the whining. The Warriors are not used to losing and they have forgotten how to lose gracefully, including Kerr. There were plenty of crappy calls that went against the Celtics in the first half. How about the phantom shooting foul when the GS player was clearly passing, might have been Igudola not sure. Green hacks and holds on almost every play and very rarely is called. Please stop with the embarrassing excuses.

It's been mentioned a few times, but yes, people seem to be conveniently leaving that out. Argue about other plays, sure. That one was two points either way. The foul call actually hurt the Celtics on that play because Horford already scored on the follow up.

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
The one foul was questionable, but Al had an uncontested put back jam, so the the refs did GSW a favor with that call.

Big mouth idiot Draymond was complaining about the fouls, which only makes the win that much sweeter.

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
Look, when it comes to last night's game the refs gifted the Cs with numerous questionable calls, especially down the stretch. That's not to say the refs were unfair all night. They were bad much of the night. They missed obvious fouls on both sides while calling minor touch fouls at others. The game was called in a very uneven fashion. At the end it was called almost exclusively in favor of the Cs and that leaves a bad taste in people's mouths. If it went the other way, this board would be screaming bloody murder this morning.

With that said, as others have pointed out the Celtics were the more aggressive team going down the stretch. Rather than settle for long jumpers, they took the ball to the hole and were rewarded by the refs for it. Give credit to Brad and the team for doing so.

As for the rest of the excuses, it's either sour grapes or an inability to admit they were wrong. The Cs are defying many public remarks by these talking heads that the Cs would step back this year because of the roster turnover, the young bench and Hayward's injury. These guys wrote, spoke or tweeted the demise of the Cs for this year. Now they look very, very wrong very, very quickly. Most times when they're wrong it takes some time for that to develop. In this case it was almost instantaneous and thus there's a lot of "yeah, but" type of comments about the Celtics because they don't want to admit they were wrong right off the bat. Some of the others are the same haters who have been haters for years.

Either way, don't focus on it. The Celtics are winning. Enjoy it.

Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Tp, greenath.

One other thing I noticed last night was Kevin Durant’s game. I feel like almost every elite player has tricks designed  to get a foul, not make a basket. Durant didn’t seem to do that last night. For example I never got the sense he was trying to fake Jaylen Brown into the air so he could jump into him and get to the line. Compare Toronto... I’m tempted to say he’s naive for leaving money on the table, but mostly I respect him more..

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79

"soft schedule"

It was green he the the ball sideways because he was trying to pass it back to curry. 

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

yup.....at the time we met OKC , they were heralded as the next super power in the West behind GS.  Mello was a god again .....he plays unselfish ball......they look unbeatable ., yada yada yada ...media frenzy with the " Name " players to garner lots of attention to their media outlets .  Bah humbug ....

Since that loss to the C's they haven't been riding so high.   Their egos took a massive hit.

Exactly.

To be down 18 against a (overly) cocky team like OKC in their building was a measuring stick.

We have a road win in Milwaukee while everyone was slobbering over Giannis (first to hold him under 30).

We won in Orlando when I believe they had the second best record in the East.

We held the mighty Zinger to 12 points (and NOBODY can contain him!) while drubbing the Knicks.

The Spurs are playing at a 50-win pace without Kawhi, nothing to scoff at.

We beat Toronto without Kyrie.

We beat Charlotte without Horford AND Kyrie.

People want to crown Simmons and Embiid, yet we held them to 22 combined on 8-27 shooting in Philly.

And of course, beating the “unbeatable,” the almighty Warriors. They certainly showed up motivated and couldn’t handle us like they run every other scared team off the court. Sure it was only one game, but we have their attention now. They are the well-oiled machine. We are the work-in-progress. We are going to get better. We have the young studs. We have an All-Star on the shelf. And we still beat them in a playoff-like atmosphere. Even if you want to say our time isn’t NOW, it’s not LATER either. It’s SOON.

The truth is you don’t run off a streak this long without some quality wins. I have been impressed with 9 of them so far.
CELTICS 2024

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
I wouldn't necessarily say that the refs bailed out The Celtics but The Celtics did a lot of calls that they have not been getting and they didn't call quite a few calls on the defensive end. They used to call it home cooking. It's been a long time since we have gotten any. The refs always effect the game even it's just calling it very balanced. The refs always have some effect. I think some of the no calls took The Warriors out of the game. It was still amazing that The Celtics won. It was the best game I've watched this year.