Author Topic: Official Euro 2008 Thread  (Read 87846 times)

Re: Official Euro 2008 Thread
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2008, 06:04:52 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
Scolari doesn't deserve the love he's getting in this thread, btw.
I love Scolari. I think he's an excellent manager who's doing great things with Portugal. The organization of his sides is superb. I love the flow of his team's football, great understanding of how and where to attack.

Look around the powers that be in Euro 2008, who's better than Scolari?

I wonīt rank them, but Rehhagel, Löw, Beenhakker, Hiddink and Scolari are the top coaches, imo.
I don't rate Rehhagel as a top level manager. He's an incredible tactician who works best with mediocre talents. When he has brilliant players he doesn't give the freedom to attack or to perform to their fullest. Too controlling, hurts creativity. That's why he failed at Bayern. That flaw kills me and is why I don't rate him as a top manager, because I don't believe he's a great manager for top sides. But for a team like Greece that lacks top tier talent, he just might be the best manager in the world. Nobody is better at picking at details and finding holes to exploit the opposition. Great defensive coach also.

Iīm sorry, but I think thatīs not accurate. Rehhagel did not fail at Bayern, thatīs a myth. Rehhagel hates the media, and treated them accordingly. He was 14 years coach of Werder Bremen, and became somewhat of the arch-enemy of Bayern. The minute he signed his contract, he was doomed. The crazy Munich media tore him apart without a reason. He made it to the UEFA-Cup-finals and was second in the league in reach of first place, when Beckenbauer fired him and took the job as coach. That Bayern team broke several league records under Rehhagel such as best winning streak. Klinsmann broke the record for most goals in an international competition that year. Rehhagel discovered and developed Rudi Völler, Karl-Heinz Riedle, Mario Basler, Miroslav Klose and many more.

Sorry for my little off-topic rant, I just love Rehhagel and hate the shady, political Munich media as much as he does. ;)

Heīs old-school, his football is not very modern, but itīs extremely effective, especially in a tournament with knock-out rounds with must-win games. I can understand if people donīt like to watch it.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2008, 06:34:37 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I love Scolari. I think he's an excellent manager who's doing great things with Portugal. The organization of his sides is superb. I love the flow of his team's football, great understanding of how and where to attack.

I wonīt rank them, but Rehhagel, Löw, Beenhakker, Hiddink and Scolari are the top coaches, imo.
I don't rate Rehhagel as a top level manager. He's an incredible tactician who works best with mediocre talents. When he has brilliant players he doesn't give the freedom to attack or to perform to their fullest. Too controlling, hurts creativity. That's why he failed at Bayern. That flaw kills me and is why I don't rate him as a top manager, because I don't believe he's a great manager for top sides. But for a team like Greece that lacks top tier talent, he just might be the best manager in the world. Nobody is better at picking at details and finding holes to exploit the opposition. Great defensive coach also.

Iīm sorry, but I think thatīs not accurate. Rehhagel did not fail at Bayern, thatīs a myth. Rehhagel hates the media, and treated them accordingly. He was 14 years coach of Werder Bremen, and became somewhat of the arch-enemy of Bayern. The minute he signed his contract, he was doomed. The crazy Munich media tore him apart without a reason. He made it to the UEFA-Cup-finals and was second in the league in reach of first place, when Beckenbauer fired him and took the job as coach. That Bayern team broke several league records under Rehhagel such as best winning streak. Klinsmann broke the record for most goals in an international competition that year. Rehhagel discovered and developed Rudi Völler, Karl-Heinz Riedle, Mario Basler, Miroslav Klose and many more.

Sorry for my little off-topic rant, I just love Rehhagel and hate the shady, political Munich media as much as he does. ;)

Heīs old-school, his football is not very modern, but itīs extremely effective, especially in a tournament with knock-out rounds with must-win games. I can understand if people donīt like to watch it.
Yeah I remember the media giving him some bad treatment.

That said, didn't his players slag him off in the media?

The side was falling apart throughout the season. He lost the locker room because of how he managed the team. How he treated the players and the tactics he choose to play.

« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2008, 01:38:16 PM »

Offline DutchHoops

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 8
http://en.euro2008.uefa.com/tournament/standings/index.html

i hope italy and Spain have a good tournament too in order to make it exiting

http://en.euro2008.uefa.com/tournament/matches/index.html

This Italy exiting enough for you?  ;D
Killing off the Italians on their one game, the break. How sweet it is. My Celtics need to LOSE at least 1 in L.A. so i can keep the rush going through the week.

http://bostonherald.com/sports/soccer/general/view/2008_06_10_Dutch_Treat:_Italy_splattered_3-0_by_Netherlands/srvc=soccer&position=1

« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2008, 02:15:09 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
after the first round of games, i'd say the most impressive performances came from portugal, germany and the netherlands - in that order.

portugal and germany never stepped out of second gear and never looked threatened. whereas i'm not so sure the dutch can play better than they did against italy and defensively they looked shaky but thanks to van der sar they didn't concede.

spain looked good today, but i don't rate the spanish defensively which is why i think they wont win the tournament.

« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2008, 03:11:27 PM »

Offline Mon

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
I'm a football rookie but...

I'm hoping for the Netherlands and/or France.  I read somewhere that they really invest quite a bit into their youth academies.

I also like their style...more aggressive if I'm not mistaken.

Why isn't England in it?

« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2008, 03:32:01 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen

Yeah I remember the media giving him some bad treatment.

That said, didn't his players slag him off in the media?

The side was falling apart throughout the season. He lost the locker room because of how he managed the team. How he treated the players and the tactics he choose to play.

Of course, there were also players who didn`t like him (and still don`t). On a team like Bayern, there are always some benched stars who are not used to play second fiddle, but AFAIK, most of the players were on his side. I remember Mehmet Scholl had a problem with him, and Klinsmann at one point. Klinsmann later said he had no problem with Rehhagel, and that he actually learned a lot under him. Example: Rehhagel teached him to make his headers with his head above the ball, to direct the ball downwards when he tries to make a goal. This makes it harder for the goalie to catch the ball. Rehhagel is great at teaching these little things and fundamentals.

As for today`s games:
Spain as expected, they are just an offensive juggernaut if they actually give a [dang], and Russia is not at full Strength. First half of Greece-Sweden leads me to believe that Greece will take this. Not a great match, more an ugly match, which is what favours a Rehhagel team. Prediction: Either 0-0 or 1-0 for Greece.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2008, 03:37:39 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
http://en.euro2008.uefa.com/tournament/standings/index.html

i hope italy and Spain have a good tournament too in order to make it exiting

http://en.euro2008.uefa.com/tournament/matches/index.html

This Italy exiting enough for you?  ;D
Killing off the Italians on their one game, the break. How sweet it is. My Celtics need to LOSE at least 1 in L.A. so i can keep the rush going through the week.

http://bostonherald.com/sports/soccer/general/view/2008_06_10_Dutch_Treat:_Italy_splattered_3-0_by_Netherlands/srvc=soccer&position=1

Wow, quite impressive!

« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2008, 04:14:10 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Lovely goal by Ibramhimovic

I didn't think Larsson (international retirement, 2nd comeback, I can't keep up) or Ljungberg (finished the season injured right?) were going to play for Sweden in this tournament. That's a huge boost for Sweden. Hopefully they can qualify out of this group.

My memory never does Greece justice. They really are more boring than I thought. They're pretty dangerous and even likeable when they get the ball in the final third (I have nothing against the high ball) but the way they just stand pat and pass around the back line letting the game's clock tick away ... very annoying. Every neutral is against Greece.

This'll be interesting now that Greece have to chase the game

Edit: There goes the second goal. Lovely interception and pass by Larsson to create everything. Bad finishing by Sweden but they did well to bundle it in.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 08:57:10 PM by Who »

« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2008, 05:45:56 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
Why isn't England in it?

they're overrated. average. got beaten by croatia. got beaten by russia. finally showed their true worth.

want me to go on?

« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2008, 06:00:03 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
As for today`s games:
Spain as expected, they are just an offensive juggernaut if they actually give a [dang], and Russia is not at full Strength. First half of Greece-Sweden leads me to believe that Greece will take this. Not a great match, more an ugly match, which is what favours a Rehhagel team. Prediction: Either 0-0 or 1-0 for Greece.

Well, that blew off in my face. Just an overall bad performance by Greece, they didn`t deserve a point. After this game, I have my doubts that they can turn it around. Still possible, but highly doubtful.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2008, 08:54:35 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
As for today`s games:

Well, that blew off in my face. Just an overall bad performance by Greece, they didn`t deserve a point. After this game, I have my doubts that they can turn it around. Still possible, but highly doubtful.
Yeah I was right there with you, I thought Greece had a good shot of winning that game. It was their style of match. They had a good chance just a few moments prior to the goal too ... that bad Mellberg pass picked off by Karagounis. Just didn't make enough of it. Same can be said for their set pieces. Defense wasn't as good as normal for Greece tonight, very lax on that Ibramhimovic goal, that should shot should never have happened in the first place.

Sweden-Spain should be very good. Sweden can limit Spain's passing and will attack them on the other end. Should be a good game like Italy-Sweden four years ago in this tournament.

« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2008, 10:29:27 PM »

Offline houlana

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 21
after one round, i feel that holland and spain look the most impressive.
cant wait for france against holland.

u guys should watch out for Karim Benzima for france, kid can play

« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2008, 04:52:06 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
portugal looked great again today. they're winning and ronaldo is scoring and he's not even out of second gear.

i feel for the swiss. only the second hosts ever eliminated in the group stage (soon to be joined by austria) and they deserved to win both their games. a great pity.

« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2008, 07:18:18 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Watching portugal attack is a bless. Great passing game, the ball flows, great talents.... I have some doubts about their defence. Especialy their defensive mids. The same goes to Holland. The second goal against Italy was a masterpiece. But i don`t think that they `ll face again a midfield so tired and bored like the Italian.

Which brings me to the biggest mystery so far. Milan had the worst season in decades and yet Donadoni used 100% Milan`s midfield. Sorry I don`t get it! What Derosi has got to do to get a start? A few days before the Italian game i heard that Inzaghi was frustrated that he didn`t get a call to the nationtal team and i thought that he overreacted. Seeing Cassano getting in made my sympathise Pipo.

Extremely boring : Greece and France. And for Greece the low talent maybe an excuse. what about France? Look at their roster. It`s like an All star callup. I hate when a player-team underachieves so much.

PS I`ve read a lot of bitter comments about Greece (not here). Nobody can argue that it was the worst performace so far. Even an ugly one. Uncountable examples of teams that used the same style, from argentina in wc90 to last year`s Rangers. None had this kind of critisism. Some still can`t accept that Greece is still European Champion. May not has played like one in one game but the fact remain that Greece is the Champion. Nobody expected it, it`s sure as hell that it won`t happen again but being bitter it`s just wrong (to say the least). Even If the next two games will be as bad Greece the pride of being the champion can`t and won`t be taken away.

Sorry for the big post but i had to get it out of my chest

« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2008, 07:50:06 AM »

Offline DutchHoops

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 8
portugal looked great again today. they're winning and ronaldo is scoring and he's not even out of second gear.

i feel for the swiss. only the second hosts ever eliminated in the group stage (soon to be joined by austria) and they deserved to win both their games. a great pity.

With you on both points, swiss were unlucky in both matches. They played with heart. Portugal is shaping up, let's hope KG/PP/RR/KP/RA will too tonight  :)