Author Topic: Official Euro 2008 Thread  (Read 87846 times)

Official Euro 2008 Thread
« on: June 08, 2008, 04:50:25 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
for those who haven't seen the espn commercials, or heard of this before it's the second biggest football (soccer) tournament behind the world cup.

there are a few favorites this year no one really clear-cut. and a few dark horses like russia and croatia.

i think the best team in the tournament has just got off the mark - germany 2-0 poland. i think germany have the experience, the drive and the all-round talent that other nations lack. and i think it's this that should make them kings of europe again.

so celticsblog, who are you backing and who do you think will win it?

Re: Official Euro 2008 Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 05:20:03 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
http://en.euro2008.uefa.com/tournament/standings/index.html

Portugal will make some noise

i hope italy and Spain have a good tournament too in order to make it exiting

It will be close as always in Europe

http://en.euro2008.uefa.com/tournament/matches/index.html
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 05:23:38 PM »

Offline RL35

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 1
Allez les Blues.

They have a potent attack with Ribery, Henry, Benzema up front and some old experienced defensive stalwarts like Thurman, Gallas, Vieira, Makakele in the back.  However Domenench's startegic problem has always been scoring goals.  

This is also the first major tournament since the retirement of talisman Zidane.  Perhaps a new generation of French playmakers will bridge the gap.  Guys like Malouda, Ribery, Benzema, Nasri, Flamini, Toulalan and Gomis.

First things first: advancing out of the Group of Death

Can't wait for tomorrow's match vs Romania

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 05:28:46 PM »

Offline DutchHoops

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 8
I hate the Germans as much as i hate L.A. But the saying goes:"...and in the end Germany wins."
Though they were knocked out early last time around (2004) they seem to be keen again. Also the draw has favoured them a lot, they're on the soft side of the schedule.
Still, if the Cloggies survive Italy and France, and stranger things have happened, i see them getting to the finals. Italy's always a contender, the French are old, Russia's got a wondercoach. Not easy to predict this one. Still, Orange clad and rooting, let's go Holland!!!

Having a busy tv-schedule, today watched Federer get huniliated, Hamilton making a big mistake, Austria lose, Germany win. All i need to make it a perfect weekend is at 3am for my C's to take #2 and Holland to beat Italy monday night. Hey, weekend's over already...

Oops, there is an agency in holland actually checking up on people who call in sick the day after a holland match. Good thing they haven't a clue about the NBA Finals, i'm going to be late for work this week.

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 05:32:31 PM »

Offline DutchHoops

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 8

Italy exciting?  :'(

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 05:38:13 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!

Italy exciting?  :'(
i hear u
but come on we need good teams to advance in order to make this tournament fun
Of course Netherlands included  ;)
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2008, 05:43:54 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Germany are my frontrunners with Portugal just a bit behind. Their lack of a striker is the reason I'm placing them behind Germany. I love the attacking quality of Germany and the ability to play hard football by beating up people. Portugal are fantastically organized with a quality defense and midfield. They have the best group of wingers in the world and the best player in the competition.

After that I see France and Italy as potential winners. I think both will find a way to bottle it by not attacking enough in a knockout game and losing a silly goal but they're definitely contenders. France are ahead of the two by my reckoning because of Benzema and Ribery. I'm a bit worried about Italy. They look vulnerable. I could see the Netherlands beating them in the group phase. Still they have the quality to succeed so I don't feel comfortable writing them off.

Then comes the pretenders - Holland and Spain. Neither side has the backbone to fight the hard times through the Tournament. I love the Spanish team's attacking qualities but they just don't have enough ball winners or physical players around the pitch. They're too reliant on too few players. I think that'll catch up with them at some point but they'll look awfully impressive in between. Holland just don't have enough bodies with talent in their own half. Croatia has been mentioned as a darkhorse but I can't see that happening. Then there's Russia who I can see making an attempt at the title, Hiddink will have them ready to go. Sweden are next but they'll fall short of quality at some stage. Ibrahimovic could put on a show for a few games though, but soon enough his lack of goals will hurt in the knockout stage. Czech Republic are shot of top tier players without Nedved and Rosicky. Lot of guile and passing with little end product. They don't have enough threatening players and will get knocked out because of it. Then write off the poor teams of Switzerland, Austria, Turkey (the best of the bad bunch), Greece and Poland (look like a decent side). Oh that leaves Romania, I haven't seen them play but I hear some good things. They're in the group of death and will get knocked out but they could steal some points off another top side to knock that team out.

Group A - Portugal and Turkey/Czech depending on whoever wins that match. Turkey look the more creative of the two sides in their opening games.
Group B - Germany and Poland
Group C - France and Italy/Holland. That'll be a heck of a game and group.
Group D - Spain and Russia

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2008, 06:06:20 PM »

Offline CelticPride

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 28
As much as I'd like to see the Russian side do well, without Arkhavin (suspended for first two games) and Pogrebnyak, it will be an uphill road for the Russians.

I know Germany is favored, but I don't think they're as good as their press clippings.

Of course, if Spain and Portugal underplay per usual, someone has to win :) and it may be the Germans

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2008, 06:18:20 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
Germany are my frontrunners with Portugal just a bit behind. Their lack of a striker is the reason I'm placing them behind Germany. I love the attacking quality of Germany and the ability to play hard football by beating up people. Portugal are fantastically organized with a quality defense and midfield. They have the best group of wingers in the world and the best player in the competition.

After that I see France and Italy as potential winners. I think both will find a way to bottle it by not attacking enough in a knockout game and losing a silly goal but they're definitely contenders. France are ahead of the two by my reckoning because of Benzema and Ribery. I'm a bit worried about Italy. They look vulnerable. I could see the Netherlands beating them in the group phase. Still they have the quality to succeed so I don't feel comfortable writing them off.

Then comes the pretenders - Holland and Spain. Neither side has the backbone to fight the hard times through the Tournament. I love the Spanish team's attacking qualities but they just don't have enough ball winners or physical players around the pitch. They're too reliant on too few players. I think that'll catch up with them at some point but they'll look awfully impressive in between. Holland just don't have enough bodies with talent in their own half. Croatia has been mentioned as a darkhorse but I can't see that happening. Then there's Russia who I can see making an attempt at the title, Hiddink will have them ready to go. Sweden are next but they'll fall short of quality at some stage. Ibrahimovic could put on a show for a few games though, but soon enough his lack of goals will hurt in the knockout stage. Czech Republic are shot of top tier players without Nedved and Rosicky. Lot of guile and passing with little end product. They don't have enough threatening players and will get knocked out because of it. Then write off the poor teams of Switzerland, Austria, Turkey (the best of the bad bunch), Greece and Poland (look like a decent side). Oh that leaves Romania, I haven't seen them play but I hear some good things. They're in the group of death and will get knocked out but they could steal some points off another top side to knock that team out.

Group A - Portugal and Turkey/Czech depending on whoever wins that match. Turkey look the more creative of the two sides in their opening games.
Group B - Germany and Poland
Group C - France and Italy/Holland. That'll be a heck of a game and group.
Group D - Spain and Russia

tp who, for your in depth and largely accurate preview of the championships. my only disagreement with you is that i've written italy off. they can't overcome the loss of cannavaro and not selecting gilardino was a move they'll regret (as will france not picking trezeguet and spain not picking raúl).

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2008, 06:24:29 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
I hate the Germans as much as i hate L.A. But the saying goes:"...and in the end Germany wins."
Though they were knocked out early last time around (2004) they seem to be keen again. Also the draw has favoured them a lot, they're on the soft side of the schedule.
Still, if the Cloggies survive Italy and France, and stranger things have happened, i see them getting to the finals. Italy's always a contender, the French are old, Russia's got a wondercoach. Not easy to predict this one. Still, Orange clad and rooting, let's go Holland!!!

Having a busy tv-schedule, today watched Federer get huniliated, Hamilton making a big mistake, Austria lose, Germany win. All i need to make it a perfect weekend is at 3am for my C's to take #2 and Holland to beat Italy monday night. Hey, weekend's over already...

Oops, there is an agency in holland actually checking up on people who call in sick the day after a holland match. Good thing they haven't a clue about the NBA Finals, i'm going to be late for work this week.

Uhm, well, TP for being honest.

I´m german, needless to say that I hope they will win it all. Our biggest strength is our coaching staff, imo. We never had modern coaches, and Löw and his staff are radical in that regard. I absolutely love their work. Compared with 2004, we are much more offensive, aggressive and straight forward. All of our strikers have international class, and each one of them brings different strengths to the table, with Klose being the Centerpiece of that offense. But we also have our weaknesses. Goalie Lehmann did not play for Arsenal, Metzelder did not play for Real Madrid. Same goes for Podolski in Munich. Right midfielder Schneider, one of our most experienced and important players, is injured. Additionally, we seem to fall back to the old times, the league is lazy when it comes to develop german players, so our talent pool is not as big as the pool of other nations.

Other teams who are able to get the cup:

Portugal: They are a real team, and Scolari is an excellent coach. C. Ronaldo is a very special player. Their defense is excellent, something you could not say about Portugal`s D for a long time. Many experts say Ricardo, their goalie, would be subpar, but he´s one of my favourite goalie´s in europe.

France: Endless pool of talent. Having seen Ribery in the german Bundesliga, I have to say he´s better than advertised. What an exciting player. Coming from someone who despises Munich, his team. Every player is fundamentally sound and blessed with a lot of talent.

Netherlands: Van Nistelrooy is a beast. One of my all-time favourite Strikers. He seems to get along with van Basten, finally. Snijder and Van der Vaart are also players who can dominate a game every time. You can never count them out, because all of their players are trained to fit in their tactic. That`s a strength that few teams world-wide posses.

Greece: Laugh all the way you want^^, but Otto Rehhagel is the best german coach, top 3 worldwide, imo. If you`d have seen what I have seen, you would know what I mean. He coached my team Kaiserslautern, and took them from the second division to the champion title next year. He has an uncanny knack for underrated players, is a phenomenal motivator and tactician. Ottmar Hitzfeld might have the better vita, but Rehhagel`s achievements are definitly more impressive. I can´t give him enough praise. To prove my point, I picked Greece as the winner four years ago before the tourney started. I wasn`t serious back then, my argument was that any team with Rehhagel as their coach has a chance to win it all, but we all know how that turned out. In fact, being a Celtics fan, I like to compare him to Red Auerbach!

So, the usual Suspects, I guess.  ;D
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2008, 06:42:02 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker

Uhm, well, TP for being honest.

I´m german, needless to say that I hope they will win it all. Our biggest strength is our coaching staff, imo. We never had modern coaches, and Löw and his staff are radical in that regard. I absolutely love their work. Compared with 2004, we are much more offensive, aggressive and straight forward. All of our strikers have international class, and each one of them brings different strengths to the table, with Klose being the Centerpiece of that offense. But we also have our weaknesses. Goalie Lehmann did not play for Arsenal, Metzelder did not play for Real Madrid. Same goes for Podolski in Munich. Right midfielder Schneider, one of our most experienced and important players, is injured. Additionally, we seem to fall back to the old times, the league is lazy when it comes to develop german players, so our talent pool is not as big as the pool of other nations.

Other teams who are able to get the cup:

Portugal: They are a real team, and Scolari is an excellent coach. C. Ronaldo is a very special player. Their defense is excellent, something you could not say about Portugal`s D for a long time. Many experts say Ricardo, their goalie, would be subpar, but he´s one of my favourite goalie´s in europe.

France: Endless pool of talent. Having seen Ribery in the german Bundesliga, I have to say he´s better than advertised. What an exciting player. Coming from someone who despises Munich, his team. Every player is fundamentally sound and blessed with a lot of talent.

Netherlands: Van Nistelrooy is a beast. One of my all-time favourite Strikers. He seems to get along with van Basten, finally. Snijder and Van der Vaart are also players who can dominate a game every time. You can never count them out, because all of their players are trained to fit in their tactic. That`s a strength that few teams world-wide posses.

Greece: Laugh all the way you want^^, but Otto Rehhagel is the best german coach, top 3 worldwide, imo. If you`d have seen what I have seen, you would know what I mean. He coached my team Kaiserslautern, and took them from the second division to the champion title next year. He has an uncanny knack for underrated players, is a phenomenal motivator and tactician. Ottmar Hitzfeld might have the better vita, but Rehhagel`s achievements are definitly more impressive. I can´t give him enough praise. To prove my point, I picked Greece as the winner four years ago before the tourney started. I wasn`t serious back then, my argument was that any team with Rehhagel as their coach has a chance to win it all, but we all know how that turned out. In fact, being a Celtics fan, I like to compare him to Red Auerbach!

So, the usual Suspects, I guess.  ;D

tp to you casperian, i too despise munchen and everything about that team. although, ribery is an outstanding talent and that's where germany's main fire-power comes from. so, here's to munchen (for this tournament only).

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2008, 06:44:29 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
Croatia will finish 3rd at worst  ;D
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2008, 07:02:51 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
All I'm going to say is Aller Les Bleus. Go France
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2008, 03:44:48 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
france were woeful today. but then, they were woeful in their opening world cup game in 2006 too and they ended up reaching the final.

holland look awesome in the first half, van der vaart is really pulling the strings. van nistelrooy's goal clearly shouldn't have stood though - lucky. it looks like my writing off of italy was a good call.

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2008, 04:04:49 PM »

Offline Hrvoje

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 59
Croatia will finish 3rd at worst  ;D

haha