Author Topic: 2019 Summer Rumors official thread  (Read 200753 times)

Re: 2019 Summer Rumors official thread
« Reply #150 on: June 26, 2019, 03:05:54 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
Rumblings out there more and more that Leonard could choose the Lakers and team up with Davis and Lebron.....that would be game over for many years if Leonard and Davis were a duo with aging Lebron as their last musketeer. That would make me sick. I guess Davis would need to waive his trade kicker to help make it happen. That would be the best GM job in a long time if they pull that off. From crap to title in one year.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2842657-lakers-rumors-latest-buzz-on-pursuit-of-dangelo-russell-kawhi-leonard-
I think this is just smoke being blown up everyone's butts by the Lakers' front office about Kawhi. They won't have the cap space for a max offer to him and I have seen nothing about Kawhi being willing to take a discount or wanting LAL, just LAC or Toronto at max money.

Yep, agreed. The Lakers have 23M in cap space, 27M if AD waives his bonus. That's still a good 10M short of what the max would be for Kawhi and I mean... they only have like 6 guys on their roster as is. Would they actually get rid of more + even Kuz to open that up?  :P

I will say two things about this. First, I think there is absolutely no way in heck this would happen. Leonard is a competitive guy from everything we have read. Even before Durant joined the warriors there was never this talk about how competitive he was. Leonard has already felt slighted about his recognition around the league, his shoe contract and is currently in litigation to get his trademark klaw free from Nike. I can't imagine leonard would make the move to be on the same team with Lebron and Davis sharing the spotlight with them and falling under the drama that Lebron has created every single place he has ever played. I don't think he would do that even if they had the max spot. Now you think he is going to take a 10 million pay cut every year on top of that? That would be absolutely insane.

Secondly, if this did happen I probably wouldn't really follow the NBA anymore, at least not at even half the level i do anymore. It just wouldn't be enjoyable to follow a league where guys just want to play in only two cities for two franchises and the rest of the teams are left to deal with a lottery. Fold up the teams in minnesota, sacramento, memphis, utah, portland, san antonio cause they just can't even begin to compete with every player wanting to go play in 3 markets even if it means getting paid 10 million less a year.

« Reply #151 on: June 26, 2019, 03:16:52 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 743
Reporting w/ @ZachLowe: Houston’s offering Clint Capela, Eric Gordon and PJ Tucker individually to teams w/ space to absorb salary. Rockets trying for best available first-rounder for any of those three, hoping to redirect pick to Philly in pursuit of Jimmy Butler sign-and-trade.

« Reply #152 on: June 26, 2019, 03:18:50 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Reporting w/ @ZachLowe: Houston’s offering Clint Capela, Eric Gordon and PJ Tucker individually to teams w/ space to absorb salary. Rockets trying for best available first-rounder for any of those three, hoping to redirect pick to Philly in pursuit of Jimmy Butler sign-and-trade.

We should hop on that...

Capela + Gordon, and Tucker?

Wait, but why is Houston letting go of Tucker?
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #153 on: June 26, 2019, 03:26:17 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

We should hop on that...

Most likely trying to get under the apron. If they take on Butler in a sign and trade they may need to get under the hard cap imposed by taking on a sign and trade player. I don't know their cap situation and don't feel like looking it up but, that could be  the main reason.

« Reply #154 on: June 26, 2019, 04:08:49 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394

We should hop on that...

Most likely trying to get under the apron. If they take on Butler in a sign and trade they may need to get under the hard cap imposed by taking on a sign and trade player. I don't know their cap situation and don't feel like looking it up but, that could be  the main reason.

They must think they can get deandre jordan for an exception

« Reply #155 on: June 26, 2019, 04:22:30 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
If they get Butler in a S&T they are hard capped. If they don't move Tucker as well as Capella/Gordon its incredibly difficult to meet NBA roster rules due to the hard cap. We're talking having the absolute minimum of players all on minimum deals for the whole year.

« Reply #156 on: June 26, 2019, 04:23:32 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

We should hop on that...

It is dangercart on twitter broke it down. Basically to have a legal number of players and be hard capped with CP3/Harden/Butler its super tight if they keep Tucker.

« Reply #157 on: June 26, 2019, 05:14:23 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Capela and Tucker would be a really solid way to use the Celts' cap space.

Do that and then re-sign Rozier and you've done most of the work of getting the roster ready for next season.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #158 on: June 26, 2019, 05:19:30 PM »

Offline Msimonetta2

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 7
Houston is seeking assets to move these guys, no thank you!   Role players for first round picks ok Morey, sure.

« Reply #159 on: June 26, 2019, 05:25:54 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
I think I would make that deal.

Tucker, gordon and capela for tpe and boston 2020 first, protected.

Capela is one of the few centers whose defense can cover hayward or tatum playing as a pf

Gordon and tucker are further trade assets for all i care. Are not really long term solutions anywhere.

Smart/edwards/waters
Brown/gordon/langford
Tatum/tucker/semi
Hayward/williams/yabusele
Capela/williams/room mle

Tucker is non guaranteed in 2020 and gordon is expiring. So they could fetch a nice asset by deadline, or could be flipped after 3 months to a team in need for assets.

I do that deal all day.

« Reply #160 on: June 26, 2019, 05:28:37 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
I think I would make that deal.

Tucker, gordon and capela for tpe and boston 2020 first, protected.

Capela is one of the few centers whose defense can cover hayward or tatum playing as a pf

Gordon and tucker are further trade assets for all i care. Are not really long term solutions anywhere.

Smart/edwards/waters
Brown/gordon/langford
Tatum/tucker/semi
Hayward/williams/yabusele
Capela/williams/room mle

Tucker is non guaranteed in 2020 and gordon is expiring. So they could fetch a nice asset by deadline, or could be flipped after 3 months to a team in need for assets.

I do that deal all day.

That will just make the Celts a middle of the pack team getting eliminated in the playoffs for the next couple of years.

Celts can do better.

« Reply #161 on: June 26, 2019, 05:29:53 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Houston is seeking assets to move these guys, no thank you!   Role players for first round picks ok Morey, sure.
Yeah, I always thought when salary dumping large amounts of money that the team dumping the salary gives up the assets, they don't receive them. If I am Danny and I am sucking up $25 to $30 million in salary next year and another $60-70 million in long term salary, I am telling Morey he needs to fork over the draft assets, not the other way around.

« Reply #162 on: June 26, 2019, 05:40:22 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Yeah, I always thought when salary dumping large amounts of money that the team dumping the salary gives up the assets, they don't receive them. If I am Danny and I am sucking up $25 to $30 million in salary next year and another $60-70 million in long term salary, I am telling Morey he needs to fork over the draft assets, not the other way around.
They view Capella, Gordon, Tucker as positive assets on their current contracts. I agree with this POV.

Which is why I wouldn't bother to absorb them unless the C's can't get Kemba/Vuc/whomever their primary targets are. Better to just spend cap space if someone good is going to take it.

« Reply #163 on: June 26, 2019, 05:52:04 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
 Brad Townsend: Current Kemba Walker destination likelihood order, per league source: 1. Boston 2. Charlotte 3. Dallas (definitely in the mix, with Lakers) Somewhere down the line: New York
3 hours ago – via Twitter

Not sure if this was posted already.

« Reply #164 on: June 26, 2019, 05:54:17 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
Brad Townsend: Current Kemba Walker destination likelihood order, per league source: 1. Boston 2. Charlotte 3. Dallas (definitely in the mix, with Lakers) Somewhere down the line: New York
3 hours ago – via Twitter

Not sure if this was posted already.

I saw it was retweeted by our long time friend Robot Dave.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team