Author Topic: Dante Exum with torn ACL?  (Read 7468 times)

Re: Dante Exum with torn ACL?
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2015, 10:23:09 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Parker
Embiid
Exum
Randle
Gordon

Sheesh!!
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2015, 10:30:06 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Going to be tough for the Jazz:

1) pick a very young developmental, high-ceiling point guard
2) See him struggle early on, but start to get a little more comfortable by the end of the season
3) Tears his ACL, misses all of year 2
4) Probably doesn't round back into form until the middle of year 3
5) Now it's time to talk extension, and you've had maybe half a season to judge the player.  Or you can go to restricted free agency, but oh yeah, there could be a work stoppage further reducing your evaluation period, not to mention his developmental time.

Building through the draft is a risky business.  Necessary, at times, but risky.  The Jazz did it right and they're still in trouble.

« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2015, 10:34:39 AM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Parker
Embiid
Exum
Randle
Gordon

Sheesh!!

While not to the extent of the other guys, Smart also missed time with his ankle sprain. Wiggins is the only pick of the top 7 picks to have not suffered any major injuries.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2015, 10:57:06 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Parker
Embiid
Exum
Randle
Gordon

Sheesh!!

While not to the extent of the other guys, Smart also missed time with his ankle sprain. Wiggins is the only pick of the top 7 picks to have not suffered any major injuries.

It's crazy
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2015, 11:31:52 AM »

Offline heyvik

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 75
Bradley and one of Olynyk/Sullinger for Favors? Add a pick somewheres?

Seriously though, that's really sad news for Exum. I really feel for the guys who have so much natural ability and their body fails them. Hopefully he comes back fully healthy and unit doesn't affect him long term. Unfair as it may be, the "bust" word will start to be whispered after two unproductive seasons. Look at how hard people around here rip James Young even though he's only 19 and hardly played in one season.

Nah, just trade for Hood.

For both of those guys? No way. I like Rodney Hood, but he's not at AB's level. And he's not all that much younger. He can shoot and has wing size, I could certainly see a fit here for him if we made a few moves, but you can't give up Bradley AND one of Sully or Olynyk for him. I'd considering giving the Jazz a mediocre 1st (Say, our own 2016 pick, top 10 or 12 protected)to include Hood in such a deal.

I really like Favors. I like Sully's potential too, I think he could become a really good player if he gets his act together, but Favors is just a better talent. It would suck to lose AB, but you can build a really good front court around Favors.

Yeah, I was speaking more in general terms about trading for Hood, although it's impossible to overstate the impact of white players in Utah ;), which means that Olynyk would likely have to go in any sort of transaction.  Oh darn (sarcasm) ::) ;D. I wouldn't give them any picks, though, and we can replace Bradley pretty easily in the next draft, anyway, imo.

What do you like so much about Favors?  I don't keep up with the Jazz so it's simply an honest question, although I do feel like, after 5 seasons in the league, he is what he is.  It's not that he's bad, it's just that the guys who followed him in that 2010 draft have been much better, in Cousins, Monroe, and George.  Favors was drafted third, right?  I can't remember right now.

Fourth, I think, without looking. I'm of the opinion that we drafted a Bradley replacement this year in Terry Rozier. He's a lot like AB was coming into the league, just with better ball-handling skills and a more refined overall game. The defensive tenacity is there, the hyper-athleticism is there, the work ethic, etc. Shooting has to improve (Bradley's did too early on), but it seems to me he's AB's replacement. Can't keep Evan Turner around forever, and we need a secondary ball-handler to pair with Smart long-term, which by now we know can't be AB. I also think Bradley has some of the highest trade value on our roster for anyone not named Marcus Smart.

As for Favors, he was the youngest guy in that draft class, and has continually improved every year in the league, all the way up to being a 16-17 PPG, 8-9RPG guy with really good defense and the versatility to play the small-ball 5 (Just doesn't do it much with Gobert). More than all that though, I think we need to look at unconventional ways to acquire "star" players. Anyone who watches Favors can see that even though his production is good, there is potential for more. His physical gifts are outstanding. He's only like 23 or 24 years old. Jimmy Butler just made the leap at an older age than that. If you can get him to his ceiling, you could have a solid 20/10/2 block guy. I'd bet on him getting there a lot more than I would on bet on Sullinger getting there.

I feel the same way about a guy like Harrison Barnes. A young guy who's been in the league a few years and has been productive, but still has untapped potential. If we can combine a couple of our lesser guys for a guy like that, I'm all for it.
I'm in favor of getting Favors!! I could see a 2 for 1 or 3 for 1 trade for him, it won't be easy to pry him away from Utah. I would love to see either Bradley/ET go along with KO AND a 1st (either Min or Nets 2018 pick for Favors). It could be worth it.