Author Topic: So when do we start worrying about Horford?  (Read 2230 times)

Re: So when do we start worrying about Horford?
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2018, 07:07:03 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Poor shooting and an attitude that we are better than what we are is the real problem....

We have plenty of shooting... at least we should.  Not all 5 guys need to be shooters.  Having a guy who can roll to the rim, grab rebounds, and defend down low is something this team needs and Stevens clearly doesn't think Williams is ready.

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2018, 07:41:21 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
I'm not worried about Al Horford in terms of an athletic decline.  My main concern is in regards to his mentality.  We all know that Al is passive by nature and I believe he was expecting an opportunity to coast on the offensive side of the floor.     

We've seen the type of player he becomes in the playoffs when the team needs his assertiveness.  He also played out of his mind during our 16 game win streak last year.  I just looked back to last year and he was a + in the box score for the first 19 games of the season.  Kyrie and Horford had an unbelievable chemistry during this stretch.

Ultimately this boils down to a sense of urgency.  This team needs him to step back out of his comfort zone and own the responsibility of being a veteran leader ON the court. 

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2018, 07:59:05 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Baynes played 9 minutes and was -16 yesterday.  I'm not so sure a tough interior player is going to do much against most teams.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2018, 09:04:16 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Not just Al...

Im more worried about Hayward.... Averaging barely 10 ppg this season and just about 7 ppg in the road trip on just 10 attempts /game.....where on earth is the Hayward we all know.

OK im not expecting Hayward the all start, but atleast give us GH that can do better than 8ppg.

pathetic waste of a max contract..both him and Al are toast.

And whats worst is Kyrie will opt out if this team continues to spiral out of contention.

We really need to start a thread which compiles comments like this which are destined for the humble pie rack.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2018, 10:57:40 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Al has shorter and shorter stints where his play has a positive effect now. 

Playing him at the center position 25 minutes a game doesn't allow him to do what he does best, even at 32 years old.   

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2018, 11:48:49 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Last season Al was 13-7-5. This year he's been 12-6-4 on a team with more scoring options and another lead ballhandler. His rebounding is a concern but that's an old story so I'm not concerned about his age yet. I'm more concerned about the focus of everyone on the team on the offensive side of the ball.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2018, 01:21:21 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
I'm more worried about bringing Al back.  He's the one guy on this team it would be really difficult to replace - and they may be forced to overpay to keep him.  Granted the D has been poor lately overall but without him it's nowhere near as good.

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2018, 01:21:49 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
I'm more worried about bringing Al back.  He's the one guy on this team it would be really difficult to replace - and they may be forced to overpay to keep him.  Granted the D has been poor lately overall but without him it's nowhere near as good.

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2018, 01:30:31 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I'm not so much worried about Horford as the team in general.  if Brown, Hayward and Tatum were playing at last year's levels (and for Hayward, his level of 2 years ago), Al would be THE all important glue guy in the starting line-up --> doing all the small things that are needed for great teams to win.

with the offensive struggles of the starting line-up, the 'glue' he provides isn't what the team needs which is star production so his lack of numbers is more glaring