Author Topic: Robert Williams (Merged Threads)  (Read 238688 times)

Re: Robert Williams and the makings of a masterpiece
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2018, 02:01:37 AM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164
STANDING REACH!!!
I found 2 sources claiming RW has a 9'4'' standing reach but does anyone have anything concrete or other sources.

Standing reach is not mentioned enough, if ever, when people are discussing players and it should be brought up.... especially with big men.

In this video, P3 Sports Science shows a spider chart which includes standing reach.  It didn't show the height, but it stated he was in the 80% when compared to other NBA centers. That means he has a higher standing reach higher than 80% of other NBA centers.  His max vertical was about 100%. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/p3sportscience/status/1009124980523597825?lang=en

Great find.

Mr. Leidersdorf points to a couple of really interesting measures:

1) Acceleration of the knee joints in extension 78th percentile measured against all NBA athletes (i.e., not just centers). A man with a shorter limb can be expected to accelerate the knees quicker, all other things being equal; in the case of Mr. Williams, you combine his acceleration with his length and you have somebody who really gets up there, and qvickly.

2) On the spider chart he appears to be at somewhere north of 90% for lateral drive - compared to all NBA centers, and, again, combining that with his length gives him an extraordinary skillset for playing NBA defense. If he can get enough court time and has the mental gifts  to match the physical ones, he could be one of the top defenders in the league.

I notice, by the way, that two of P3’s clients are Gordon Hayward and Jaylen Brown (of course Jaylen is!). 
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 10:32:23 AM by Hoopvortex »
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2018, 02:14:20 AM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
He should just retire now, so that he can get a head start on the Hall Of Fame.

Lol

The best case is likely closer to a quicker Deandre Jordan, free throw catastrophe not excluded.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2018, 08:32:12 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
At the very LEAST he has a GREAT first name.

Now, if the young Robert develops a Spin Move I'm through. And - nothing wrong with being the strong, silent type either. It worked for The Chief - to GREAT effect.

I'm expecting great things out of him. He has a great team, great youth, veteran leadership and great coaching.

Additionally - he HAS to make the other 26 teams pay for passing on him.

Time to get to work.

« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2018, 08:40:00 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Thanks to the P3's video and the proof of Robert Williams vertical reach along with the breakdown of his mechanics that make him as fast laterally as NBA guards .The combination of the 2nd highest vertical reach just behind Dwight Howard a 7-6 wingspan as measured by Danny and lateral speed make for a historic combination.
He loves defense so now the fun starts.The instruction and individual coaching.
Learning the technical aspects of footwork,angles,rebounding till its instinctive and team defensive sets, Then film and more film.He will have tutoring from Horford and will lose the excuse of under coached.
I have a theory that most young big guys do not apply themselves to strength training,conditioning and drills. Between now and training camp we may see a measurable improvement in strength and stamina.
I can't wait for Summer League as guard play attempts to dominate and runs into a few monsta blocks from weak side or trailing a play or just plain old rim protecting.Having to deal with Semi or Yabusele only to run into Robert Williams.
The color guys are going to love this as "steal of draft" gets repeated over and over or how did the Ainge wind up with "HIM"." at 27

« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2018, 09:18:25 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Thanks to the P3's video and the proof of Robert Williams vertical reach along with the breakdown of his mechanics that make him as fast laterally as NBA guards .The combination of the 2nd highest vertical reach just behind Dwight Howard a 7-6 wingspan as measured by Danny and lateral speed make for a historic combination.
He loves defense so now the fun starts.The instruction and individual coaching.
Learning the technical aspects of footwork,angles,rebounding till its instinctive and team defensive sets, Then film and more film.He will have tutoring from Horford and will lose the excuse of under coached.
I have a theory that most young big guys do not apply themselves to strength training,conditioning and drills. Between now and training camp we may see a measurable improvement in strength and stamina.
I can't wait for Summer League as guard play attempts to dominate and runs into a few monsta blocks from weak side or trailing a play or just plain old rim protecting.Having to deal with Semi or Yabusele only to run into Robert Williams.
The color guys are going to love this as "steal of draft" gets repeated over and over or how did the Ainge wind up with "HIM"." at 27

Love the enthusiasm. It’s a fun time of the year to be thinking about what might be.

Williams has shown some amazing tools, no doubt. Let’s all remember, too, to be a little patient.  It could take a few years to put it together - and that’s fine. We have our starters and he’s on a very, very cheap contract.

« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2018, 10:43:58 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
A man with a shorter limb can be expected to accelerate the knees quicker, all other things being equal;

Be real how many guys with short legs have you seen jump well, it has nothing to do with jumping but helps in bench press.

Dr J, Jordan and a lot of NBA jumpers have long legs and shorter torso.   The key part is to have a longer calf than a thigh that gives you more leverage.  You look at the great leapers in the NBA and most of them have this build.  Williams look to have this build too.  Note small guys can possess longer legs than torso too.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjB677grfvbAhWan4MKHTHHBwsQjRx6BAgBEAU&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.concordmonitor.com%2FDon-t-get-carried-away-with-Williams-just-yet-18374562&psig=AOvVaw0Mhwyr9kZVsnbVN2NThTWP&ust=1530447065793002

Long-levered athletes tend to express their strength much more successfully on the playing field than in the weight room.  Many times they are stronger outside the lifting room, too. For example, Michael Jordan at one time had a startling vertical jump and was very strong, yet when compared to a person his same weight and a foot shorter he has a large disadvantage in a parallel squat and I doubt if you would ever see him setting any lifting records

http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/bodystructure.html

« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2018, 10:46:56 AM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
STANDING REACH!!!
I found 2 sources claiming RW has a 9'4'' standing reach but does anyone have anything concrete or other sources.

Standing reach is not mentioned enough, if ever, when people are discussing players and it should be brought up.... especially with big men.

In this video, P3 Sports Science shows a spider chart which includes standing reach.  It didn't show the height, but it stated he was in the 80% when compared to other NBA centers. That means he has a higher standing reach higher than 80% of other NBA centers.  His max vertical was about 100%. 

Do you happen to know what those other measures on the spider chart are?

« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2018, 11:05:45 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
STANDING REACH!!!

Could someone post that pic? Can't access twitter right now.

« Reply #53 on: June 30, 2018, 11:19:41 AM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Has anyone bothered to ask what Bill Russell thinks of Williams? I'm sure he has seen him on video, and he has probably talked to the Celtics about him.

Of course, I'm not quite sure the current media even knows who Bill Russell is --or was. Or about the dozen or so championships the Celtics won during his tenure--with his defense having a lot to do with it.

Nobody is equating Williams with Russell at this point, of course, but you look at his videos, and he sure does remind you of a young Bill Russell.

« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2018, 11:33:20 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Nobody is equating Williams with Russell at this point, of course, but you look at his videos, and he sure does remind you of a young Bill Russell.

Russell did a ton of stuff that does not show up on the stat sheet.  His will to win was legendary.

« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2018, 11:52:54 AM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
STANDING REACH!!!

Could someone post that pic? Can't access twitter right now.

It’s a video, all too brief and lacking crucial info and explanations.

« Reply #56 on: June 30, 2018, 02:17:57 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

Russell did a ton of stuff that does not show up on the stat sheet.  His will to win was legendary.
as was his vomiting.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #57 on: June 30, 2018, 02:23:01 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
A man with a shorter limb can be expected to accelerate the knees quicker, all other things being equal;

Be real how many guys with short legs have you seen jump well, it has nothing to do with jumping but helps in bench press.

Dr J, Jordan and a lot of NBA jumpers have long legs and shorter torso.   The key part is to have a longer calf than a thigh that gives you more leverage.  You look at the great leapers in the NBA and most of them have this build.  Williams look to have this build too.  Note small guys can possess longer legs than torso too.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjB677grfvbAhWan4MKHTHHBwsQjRx6BAgBEAU&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.concordmonitor.com%2FDon-t-get-carried-away-with-Williams-just-yet-18374562&psig=AOvVaw0Mhwyr9kZVsnbVN2NThTWP&ust=1530447065793002

Long-levered athletes tend to express their strength much more successfully on the playing field than in the weight room.  Many times they are stronger outside the lifting room, too. For example, Michael Jordan at one time had a startling vertical jump and was very strong, yet when compared to a person his same weight and a foot shorter he has a large disadvantage in a parallel squat and I doubt if you would ever see him setting any lifting records

http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/bodystructure.html

In a way it’s funny - on Wednesday I gave my Kinesiology class their joints exam; and no matter how much I warn them to read carefully and check their work, predictably two or three students will read “radioulnar” where it says “radiocarpal”, etc., etc. You did not respond to what I actually said.

What I said is very simple. The key part is, “all other things being equal.“   It is basic physics:  longer tibias and femurs have more inertia to overcome.

When you say “jump well” you seem to be talking about how high - but notice that I was referring, along with the P3 biomechanics guy, to acceleration at the knee.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 02:40:07 PM by Hoopvortex »

« Reply #58 on: June 30, 2018, 02:26:21 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
From a standstill Rob gets 2 ft above rim.

« Reply #59 on: June 30, 2018, 02:31:17 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
From a standstill Rob gets 2 ft above rim.

And that is amazing. So quick off the ground to very high.