Author Topic: Peter May is leaving the Globe  (Read 14949 times)

Peter May is leaving the Globe
« on: April 20, 2008, 01:41:29 PM »

Offline Jughead

• Broadcast Manager
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 14
He accepted a buyout and is going to be done in 2 weeks - rather curious timing given the playoffs have just begun don;t ya think?!

Re: Peter May is leaving the Globe
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 01:51:34 PM »

Offline Three Hours Early

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
  • Screw you too, David Stern!
Its already a great day and the Celtics haven't even won yet.  The Globe, like many of the major newspapers, are dying a slow and painful death that nobody is sorry to see.  Could CHB be next?  Please?

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 01:54:14 PM »

Offline jaketwice

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 102
He is my favorite writer there.  This is a real tragedy.

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 02:29:17 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
Its already a great day and the Celtics haven't even won yet.  The Globe, like many of the major newspapers, are dying a slow and painful death that nobody is sorry to see.  Could CHB be next?  Please?

i know you mean nothing mean about your comment, but my wife is a graphic designer for the tampa tribune newspaper and the paper is suffering now and MANY people are losing their jobs, or in danger of losing their jobs.  we have an offer on a home right now (our first ever chance to buy a home) and we have to make some tough decisions right now because we don't know what the future holds.  it's a VERY scary time for us right now.

so please, bear in mind that your "great day" is a potential tragedy for a family like mine with 4 kids, and who depends on my wife's income and insurance benefits to survive.
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 02:32:05 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

i know you mean nothing mean about your comment, but my wife is a graphic designer for the tampa tribune newspaper and the paper is suffering now and MANY people are losing their jobs, or in danger of losing their jobs.  we have an offer on a home right now (our first ever chance to buy a home) and we have to make some tough decisions right now because we don't know what the future holds.  it's a VERY scary time for us right now.

so please, bear in mind that your "great day" is a potential tragedy for a family like mine with 4 kids, and who depends on my wife's income and insurance benefits to survive.
Reminds me of the last season of The Wire and its focus on newspapers.

Print media is being left behind with the paradigm Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. to online media.

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 02:46:05 PM »

Offline kamakawiwaole

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 23
yea well peter may was quite a crap writer we had to put up with for the last few years.  i would grow angered while reading his articles especially before he had to eat crow this entire year

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2008, 02:49:57 PM »

Offline Mean Gerald Green

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 212
  • Cool Runnings

Lots of people are affected by dwindling print media numbers. Think twice before you post another mindless comment.

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2008, 02:53:01 PM »

Offline SShoreFan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 200

Lots of people are affected by dwindling print media numbers. Think twice before you post another mindless comment.

I concur -- I hate to see what is happening at the Globe.  As a long time subscriber and an avid news buff, it saddens me to see what is happening to local dailies and the local news outlets.

Shaunessey & Ryan are the only two left and they are getting up there.  It's a shame.
I cannot begin to tell you how much I love my kids - call me a sap, it's true.

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2008, 02:55:00 PM »

Offline Three Hours Early

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
  • Screw you too, David Stern!
Andy Jick,

Sorry that my comment rubbed you the wrong way and I hope that your family will land on their feet after whatever happens.  I don't mean any personal offense to anyone.  The point that I should have worded better is that newspapers are not just losing because of the public's craving to have information NOW.  They're losing because people don't trust the reporting.  The media's approval rating is lower than Congress.  Newspapers have held themselves up high and mighty and now its satisfying to see their influence disappearing.  Best of luck to all the graphic designers, photographers, classified and obituary editors, the folks who print the paper (if there is still people involved in that), the van drivers, and others who don't get enough credit while their colleagues get too much.  My apologies again, Andy.

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2008, 02:56:09 PM »

Offline Potapenko Boxout

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 40
this reminds me of the Wire

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2008, 03:03:19 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
Andy Jick,

Sorry that my comment rubbed you the wrong way and I hope that your family will land on their feet after whatever happens.  I don't mean any personal offense to anyone.  The point that I should have worded better is that newspapers are not just losing because of the public's craving to have information NOW.  They're losing because people don't trust the reporting.  The media's approval rating is lower than Congress.  Newspapers have held themselves up high and mighty and now its satisfying to see their influence disappearing.  Best of luck to all the graphic designers, photographers, classified and obituary editors, the folks who print the paper (if there is still people involved in that), the van drivers, and others who don't get enough credit while their colleagues get too much.  My apologies again, Andy.

no problem and don't worry about it...i know you meant nothing mean-spirited.  newspapers are dying a slow death but it's a shame because i get sick of staring at a computer screen - i subscribe to The Hockey News through the internet with a program called Zinio - I can read the print version on my computer...I did this because it took forever to get to my home through the mail, and by the time i received it it was already a week to two late. 

my wife asked me what we should do about moving forward with buying the home and i told her to flip a coin.  :-\  tough economy right now...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2008, 03:03:33 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I don't like Peter May at all, and I can't say that I'm all that sorry to see him go.  He's been mailing his columns in for years now, and he's shown a penchant for both being bitter and factually inaccurate.  The guy just wasn't very good at his job lately (due to sheer laziness, since he has plenty of writing ability), and despite putting out a better product this year, this is a move long overdue.

I'm curious as to whether this was purely a financial decision by the Globe, or whether there's a performance-based and/or behind-the-scenes aspect to the story.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2008, 03:15:56 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
I agree that it is saying A LOT that they are letting him go before the playoffs, it must be financially driven

I haven't been a fan of Peter's work, but I have nothing personal against him -- I agree with Roy that he's got the chops of a very good writer, but he hasn't been creative in a while

I wish him luck and of course my best wishes go out to everyone in the newspaper industry.
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2008, 05:03:51 PM »

Offline Mogreen17

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 53
Now that the celtics are good peter has nothing to write about. I hear they have some vacancies at the new york times

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2008, 05:12:50 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
This is really great news ... let's hope it's a relocation to another city, as well. The Globe just raised it's quality level by a good 25%! (Sorry)
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *