Author Topic: Ryder Cup  (Read 8313 times)

Ryder Cup
« on: September 19, 2008, 09:42:44 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
The 37th Ryder Cup got underway this morning at Valhalla Country Club.  The United States has struggled in this event since winning the dramatic '99 Ryder at the Country Club in Brookline.

Not too many people are giving the US a chance this time around.   It just seems the Europens get "way more amped" for this event and play like it while the Americans typically struggle.

As much as I'd love to see the U.S. pull this one out, especially on American soil, I don't have much confidence in them.

I know we have a few golfing fans on here.  Any thoughts?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Re: Ryder Cup
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 09:56:41 AM »

Offline Fox40Kid

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 37
  • "This is beautiful. What is that? Velvet?"
If the US has any chance in winning this thing, they are going to have to get some outstanding play from their Ryder Cup rookies, especially Anthony Kim.

If Kim and one or two others can become a powerhouse in match play then the US could make a run on day 3.

I'm also interested to see how Kenny Perry performs, seeing that he sat out certain tourneys during the year just to keep his points up to make this team.
"Coach you were 24 and 58 last year, why the playoff talk?"
"Well we made a couple of key trades . . . and we got The Funk."

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 09:58:49 AM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
Same old story so far, the Euros are holing more putts early on.  Mahan's play has been encouraging.  Hopefully the US side in the opening match can come together and start taking advantage of the Europeans hitting the ball all over the place.

A great early sign for the US has been Sergio's putter.  He's been missing some makable ones.  Hopefully that trend will continue throughout the weekend.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 10:03:00 AM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
I don't really expect anything different than the past several.  The Euros just put more heart into this event. 

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 10:26:40 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
U.S. just always seem to get manhandled in Foursome and Fourball.  It always put them in a huge hole going into individual match play.

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 11:47:32 AM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Let's Go Celtics
Good surge by the Americans the last hour.  Winning this first session would be huge for this team.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 01:31:03 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
Couldn't have asked for a much better morning session from the Americans.

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 01:36:24 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Let's Go Celtics
Couldn't have asked for a much better morning session from the Americans.

Yeah, Perry and Furyk  were the only disappointment at the end.  Let's hope the Euros don't get any kind of momentum from that.  The fourballs is where they've dominated the last decade or so, a split in the afternoon and a 2 point lead going into tomorrow would be great.

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008, 07:01:06 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
Americans up 5-2 with one final match in progress (Hansen/Westwood v. Weekley/Holmes).  US 1 up on 17 there (4 absolutely, incredible approach shots there)

Regardless, a great day for the US and, all of sudden, this Cup isn't necessarily European ordained.

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2008, 07:55:47 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Yeah, I'm very impressed by the US so far. Mickelson and Anthony Kim have been fantastic.

I still believe Europe will push back and this will eventually become the same ass-whipping we've been used to see, though.

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2008, 09:52:40 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Let's Go Celtics
Americans up 5-2 with one final match in progress (Hansen/Westwood v. Weekley/Holmes).  US 1 up on 17 there (4 absolutely, incredible approach shots there)

Regardless, a great day for the US and, all of sudden, this Cup isn't necessarily European ordained.

17 was the epitome of what makes this event great.  Mickelson waking the flag was so awesome.

It was a great day for the US.  Tiger who?  The people saying they're better off without him are looking good right now.  The funny part is they legit should've won two more matches then they did.

I absolutely love this event, and hope we can bring the Cup back to America.  They're looking good so far.  Mick and Kim are good for more points, I think Holmes and Perry will woo the home crowd tomorrow, and we're always better on singles Sunday.  I firmly believe we're gonna win this thing, and as a humongous golf fan would love to see it happen.

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2008, 11:39:37 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
Americans lead 9-7 heading into today's final day which is singles competition.  US needs 5 1/2 points to claim the cup for the first time since '99. 

I gotta say that the Americans have a legitimate chance to take this thing.  I certainly didn't feel that way before this event started.

Between football and the Ryder Cup, this is going to be a great sports Sunday.

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2008, 11:46:59 AM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Let's Go Celtics
Singles has traditionally been our best format, besides the last 2 Cups where we were just awful at everything.  Being spotted a 2 point lead going in to them is very nice.  I think we should take this thing.

Kim v. Garcia is the first match out, should be very entertaining.  Faldo started strong with him but then saved Poulter, Westwood, and Harrington until the last three pairings.  I think that was a big mistake.  I think it's going to be over before those three matches are over.  The US is very strong in the middle of their lineup and hopefully will get off to a good start and get the roars and the momentum going.

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2008, 12:07:12 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be
Singles Matchups

Garcia v. Kim
Casey v. Mahan
Karlsson v. Leonard
Rose v. Mickelson
Stenson v. Perry
Wilson v. Weekley
Hansen v. Holmes
Jimenez v. Furyk
McDowell v. Cink
Poulter v. Stricker
Westwood v. Curtis
Harrington v. Campbell

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2008, 04:12:42 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Let's Go Celtics
Wow this is great stuff.  The emotion and the intensity is always awesome in the Ryder Cup, but these guys are playing some unreal golf. 

It's a shame Mahan couldn't calm himself down after hitting that monster putt on 17, you could see it coming after how amped he was.