Author Topic: Who do you want the Celtics to avoid for the 2018 draft?  (Read 6429 times)

Re: Who do you want the Celtics to avoid for the 2018 draft?
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2018, 09:44:47 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I wouldn't want to draft Trae Young.  Not interested in a guy who has almost no projection on one end of the court.  He may very well become a good player, but it won't hurt my feelings if it happens somewhere else.  Let somebody else take that risk.

Ayton is my favorite from this draft.  Bagley is a close second - I think he's more of a project than people let on especially on the defensive end, but the talent is terrific.  I have concerns about the other three - Doncic, Bamba, Porter - but would be happy to draft any of them.
Exactly how I feel, except I have Doncic on the same level as Ayton and Bagley

That's fair.  I've only seen a little of Doncic. 

I kind of see him as similar to Lonzo Ball but without a broken shot.  Is that at all accurate?
I've watched quite a few games of his, but I'm far from an expert.

In my opinion, his offensive game is hard to compare to people. He's a lot bigger than Lonzo (6'8"/6'9" vs 6'6"), and Doncic uses his size very well. His defensive versatility is really impressive, as he guards 2-4's quite solidly for the most part.
I guess his offensive game is similar to Harden's to a degree. Really strong at the hoop, really good free throw shooter and can shoot from anywhere. Supports his versatile arsenal with really impressive playmaking and rebounding.

Also doesn't quit on defence like Harden - has a fiery edge to him which always appeals to me
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2018, 09:50:01 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
I wouldn't want to draft Trae Young.  Not interested in a guy who has almost no projection on one end of the court.  He may very well become a good player, but it won't hurt my feelings if it happens somewhere else.  Let somebody else take that risk.

Ayton is my favorite from this draft.  Bagley is a close second - I think he's more of a project than people let on especially on the defensive end, but the talent is terrific.  I have concerns about the other three - Doncic, Bamba, Porter - but would be happy to draft any of them.

I kind of see him as similar to Lonzo Ball but without a broken shot.  Is that at all accurate?

In my opinion, his offensive game is hard to compare to people. He's a lot bigger than Lonzo (6'8"/6'9" vs 6'6"), and Doncic uses his size very well. His defensive versatility is really impressive, as he guards 2-4's quite solidly for the most part.
I guess his offensive game is similar to Harden's to a degree. Really strong at the hoop, really good free throw shooter and can shoot from anywhere. Supports his versatile arsenal with really impressive playmaking and rebounding.

Also doesn't quit on defence like Harden - has a fiery edge to him which always appeals to me

Thanks for the take.  I'd certainly be happy if we were able to pick him.

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2018, 09:56:22 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Thanks for the take.  I'd certainly be happy if we were able to pick him.
If we pick him I'm sure he'll be the rebirth of Larry Bird, nastiness and all ;D

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2018, 10:06:28 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Avoid drafting a ball-handler and a wing.

Draft a big.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2018, 10:41:41 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I知 the guy who swore Josh Jackson was going to be the next Dr J so I値l refrain from weighing in.

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2018, 12:38:39 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
I知 the guy who swore Josh Jackson was going to be the next Dr J so I値l refrain from weighing in.

At least you didn't think Fultz would be the next Kyrie.  I was high on Jackson and Ball, and meh on Tatum.

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2018, 02:09:17 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

At least you didn't think Fultz would be the next Kyrie.  I was high on Jackson and Ball, and meh on Tatum.
Yeah, pre-draft I thought Fultz could've been like a smaller lesser playmaking Harden. Oops ;D

I blame whoever broke his jumpshot ;)

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2018, 04:16:18 AM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
We only pick #2-5, and I'd definitely draft Ayton, Bagley, Doncic.

I might avoid picking Porter due to medicals or what I think of Bamba after workouts.

I might avoid picking Trae Young because if Porter looks great, and Bamba looks good, the 4 guys I want in that range might be set.  I need a Tatum 2.0 or a center with DPOY upside more than a bench pg.  Tho I'll admit I haven't seen a full game of his.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2018, 06:35:53 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
My list

-Doncic

He is slow and can't get by a semi decent defender.   He will have issues at the nba level, there is no way around it

- Bagley Jr.

Thin lower body, poor rim protector, inconsistent shooter,  projects passes.  Doesn't have crafty/skills to make things look easy.  Good athlete but nothing special.  I do like his work ethic and has a good upper body,..... but overall is raw

- Miles Bridges

Short pf that is a tweener not in a good way on the defensive end.

- Grayson Allen

Poor defender that can't keep up.

WOW, dont like Bagley? Safest pick in the draft. Has amazing hands, catches everything. Duke player that would make three on the Celtics. Perfect Horford replacement in two years.

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2018, 06:55:41 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Doncic

I feel the same, I think the hype is better than the player.  One thing I like about Ainge is that he does not always fall for the Euro hype that other teams fall prey too.  I think he can play in the league, I just don't see a burgeoning star that others do.

I wonder if I searched back threads if the same guys who like Luka liked Bender, Hezonja and Darko?

« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2018, 08:09:23 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

- Grayson Allen

Poor defender that can't keep up. Also has mental problems on defense, keeps on being an **** by tripping people on purpose.

Fixed that for you :laugh:
;D

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2018, 08:35:50 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Well I like a lot of guys this draft but other than Porter and Ayton I don't really feel great about any prospect. I'd consider a trade out side those two guys.

« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2018, 08:44:31 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Doncic

I feel the same, I think the hype is better than the player.  One thing I like about Ainge is that he does not always fall for the Euro hype that other teams fall prey too.  I think he can play in the league, I just don't see a burgeoning star that others do.

I wonder if I searched back threads if the same guys who like Luka liked Bender, Hezonja and Darko?

Those guys were all drafted on potential.  Doncic is lighting it up at 18 against the toughest competition in Europe.  I'd still take Bagley or Ayton ahead of him, but he's a [dang] good 3rd pick.

If I were going to pick one guy to avoid, right now it would be Bamba, as I think he has the highest bust potential.  Great ceiling though.

« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2018, 09:15:33 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Doncic

Those guys were all drafted on potential.  Doncic is lighting it up at 18 against the toughest competition in Europe.  I'd still take Bagley or Ayton ahead of him, but he's a [dang] good 3rd pick.

If I were going to pick one guy to avoid, right now it would be Bamba, as I think he has the highest bust potential.  Great ceiling though.

Bamba has a high floor

While raw his length , mobility is elite. He also has the work ethic and good instincts. Just raw and needs to work on his body

« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2018, 09:20:49 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Doncic

Lighting up against who? Evan Fourniers or class B nba has beens?

European level competition is much like the ncaas div 1... Its not close to nba competition

Unless its Dirk...and you can see such talent miles away

Doncic is not that. Im not saying he will be a bust just not top 3 worthy pick