Author Topic: NBA 2019 Playoffs Thread  (Read 232693 times)

Re: NBA 2019 Playoffs Thread
« Reply #510 on: April 19, 2019, 03:29:21 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Do people believe the speculation embiid has degenerative arthritis?

Heard the rumor, but pure speculation by a doc who saw his knee brace.  Bill Russell got this later in his career. Am sure there are many others.

i think the concern would be that he has it at his current age. I was honestly surprised he missed the game yesterday cause their season was potentially on the line. It feels like the 76ers medical team is not always honest about this stuff. I am definitely worried he won't have a long career which stinks cause he does some really cool things on the court and has great low post moves.
Regardless of the Sixers medical staff, why would you give any weight to some doctor who has no knowledge of Embiid's situation and is just purely speculating based on Embiid wearing a knee brace?  Wearing a knee brace fits with knee tendonitis.  Keith Pompey has video of Embiid practicing today and it doesn't look like he was wearing any knee brace. 

Here's the story.  Pure speculation.  The doc doesn't even mention knee tendonitis. 
https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/nba/story/2019-04-13/joel-embiid-76ers-knee-profootballdoc     
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 03:34:55 PM by tazzmaniac »

« Reply #511 on: April 19, 2019, 03:34:35 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

Heard the rumor, but pure speculation by a doc who saw his knee brace.  Bill Russell got this later in his career. Am sure there are many others.

i think the concern would be that he has it at his current age. I was honestly surprised he missed the game yesterday cause their season was potentially on the line. It feels like the 76ers medical team is not always honest about this stuff. I am definitely worried he won't have a long career which stinks cause he does some really cool things on the court and has great low post moves.
Regardless of the Sixers medical staff, why would you give any weight to some doctor who has no knowledge of Embiid's situation and is just purely speculating based on Embiid wearing a knee brace?  Wearing a knee brace fits with knee tendonitis.  Keith Pompey has video of Embiid practicing today and it doesn't look like he was wearing any knee brace.

Im more giving credence to the fact that he just missed a game and has missed half the games since the all star break with knee soreness .

« Reply #512 on: April 19, 2019, 03:35:53 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

Im more giving credence to the fact that he just missed a game and has missed half the games since the all star break with knee soreness .
Which is consistent with knee tendonitis. 

« Reply #513 on: April 19, 2019, 03:40:23 PM »

Offline alt

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 25
The Nets and the Sixers without Embiid are the two worst teams in the playoffs.

The 76ers played 48 minutes of Monroe (bottom 1% on D) and Marjamovic (bottom1% on D) at the 5. Some minutes of Mike Scott (atrocious) at the end. Three of the worst defenders in the entire league at the 5.

The 4 was manned by Harris (very bad defender) and Mike Scott (slightly better at the 4 I guess, but still atrocious, especially when paired with those 5s).

And then they had 35 minutes of JJ Redick at the 2.

For most of the game, Philadelphia was trotting out there putrid defenders at 3 positions, including the 2 interior players, and the Nets offense was hard to see. .453   eFG%, which is a mind-bogglingly bad number in normal conditions, let alone vs such a flawed defensive team.

Nets need to start one of Dwinddie or LeVert. Their starting line-up is too limited offensively, only D'Angelo Russell can create shots and he's prone to take the bad ones. And Nets don't score -> feeds Philadelphia transition O. They need to make Philly play the halfcourt game, but they can't when they're constalty missing shots.

On the other end, the Nets can't rebound. Philadelphia massacred them on the offensive board, at halftime they had almost ~50% ORB% - at one point, Philly had 10 ORs vs Nets 11 DRs. Sometimes, they play the same zone defense they've played all season, even with Philly featuring a bunch of shooters and good passers and obviously prepared for it. When they don't, the slowness/laziness of most of their players show up. And still, the Sixers were never confortable getting good shots. Harris and Redick made a bunch of heat checking 3s, which, together with the second chance and fastbreak points, makes Philly's offense look better than it was.

Just an awful game all around. Looked like two 30 wins teams.

The pistons would probably love to know they are not the worst team in the playoffs. Maybe they can keep a game in single digits.

I think the Pistons (with Blake) is largely better than any of these teams (Philly sans Embiid).

Why do you believe the Pistons results against the Bucks are relevant?

« Reply #514 on: April 19, 2019, 03:41:01 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

I’m honestly not sure what point you are trying to make here? People in this thread were saying they could consider trading him cause he keeps missing time. He is missing time and playoff games now. What’s the part you object to?

« Reply #515 on: April 19, 2019, 03:59:07 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
Amazed at the TNT announcing crew just keeps hammering home how many games Embiid has missed this year and throughout his career. You almost never hear that stuff coming out of national announcing crews. It's usually all hype, hype, hype.
I've been pondering this. Are the Sixers better off moving Embiid instead of Simmons.  Embiid is clearly the better player and he is locked up long term so even with the shaky health I believe they could get more for him then they could for Simmons.  Perhaps then the Sixers can get better fitting parts around Simmons.  Just a thought
Makes sense. If they and the medical staff think Embiid might constantly be missing 20 games a year and be hard to keep healthy for the playoffs, now might be the best time to move on from him. If next year he misses another 20-25 games and is on a minutes restriction or hurt for the playoffs, hurting the team, the Sixers certainly wouldn't get what they would if they moved him this summer.

Would the Knicks trade their pick for Embiid to match him up with an incoming Durant? Would make more sense for the Knicks than Durant trying to train Zion on how to play championship quality NBA ball for a couple years.

Knicks build around Durant/Embiid and Sixers have Zion/Simmons/Butler/Harris to move forward with, though maybe Butler takes off if he feels he has to give shots to a rookie. Probably lose Butler so maybe that trade isn't so great.
If the Sixers are stupid enough to put Embiid on the market, Danny better be the first in line to make an offer. 

The Sixers ran Embiid into the ground (only missed 4 of their first 58 games).  65 games a season is plenty for Embiid and it will easily get the Sixers into the playoffs.  Kawhi has only played more than 66 games twice in his 8 seasons.  Don't see anyone suggesting he be put on the trade block.
Kawhi also has never had a fit problem with another potential superstar on his roster either.  If the Sixers think that Embiid and Simmons are fine together, then they don't need to move either one, but if they are ultimately going to have to decide between Embiid and Simmons, then they should probably just make that move this summer.  It is in that scenario that I'm talking about perhaps moving on from Embiid as opposed to Simmons.

Simmons is the fit problem, not Embiid.  Simmons can't shoot. Kawhi is a great shooter.
Plenty of great players had shooting concerns.  Heck Giannis is a very bad shooter and yet the team was built around him and was the best team in basketball in the regular season.  Simmons is 6'10" and is almost impossible to guard in the paint, yet he can't play in the paint because of Embiid.  If the Sixers built their team around Simmons, much like the Bucks have with Giannis, I think they would be just fine and a real title contender year in and year out.  And let's be clear, there is no way I come anywhere close to bringing this up if Embiid didn't have significant health issues year after year.  He just can't stay on the court.

Let me know when Simmons has attempted more than, say, 1-2 career 3 pointers.  Or when Simmons is a DPOY frontrunner. 

Or let me know when Giannis scores 1 point in a playoff game.  Or when his team is better with him off the floor for the majority of a playoff series.

Take all the time you need.

1 point in a playoff game, you're comparing a scorer to distributor.  Magic Johnson had a playoff game with 2 points, and prime Jason Kidd has had several low scoring games: 2, 3, 0.  Like those guys, you can have a team built around you, be a championship contender, and not be a scorer, so Simmons has hope there.  And maybe never a DPOY front runner, but he'll probably have a few All-D selections too, got 5 first place votes last year.

I don't like the guy, but he's a talent.

Actually, I'm doing the opposite.  Moranis compared a scorer to a distributor.  My post was illustrating the issues with that comparison, namely that there are major differences in the 2 players in terms of what shots they take, among other things.  I thought that was apparent.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #516 on: April 19, 2019, 04:03:23 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
Amazed at the TNT announcing crew just keeps hammering home how many games Embiid has missed this year and throughout his career. You almost never hear that stuff coming out of national announcing crews. It's usually all hype, hype, hype.
I've been pondering this. Are the Sixers better off moving Embiid instead of Simmons.  Embiid is clearly the better player and he is locked up long term so even with the shaky health I believe they could get more for him then they could for Simmons.  Perhaps then the Sixers can get better fitting parts around Simmons.  Just a thought
Makes sense. If they and the medical staff think Embiid might constantly be missing 20 games a year and be hard to keep healthy for the playoffs, now might be the best time to move on from him. If next year he misses another 20-25 games and is on a minutes restriction or hurt for the playoffs, hurting the team, the Sixers certainly wouldn't get what they would if they moved him this summer.

Would the Knicks trade their pick for Embiid to match him up with an incoming Durant? Would make more sense for the Knicks than Durant trying to train Zion on how to play championship quality NBA ball for a couple years.

Knicks build around Durant/Embiid and Sixers have Zion/Simmons/Butler/Harris to move forward with, though maybe Butler takes off if he feels he has to give shots to a rookie. Probably lose Butler so maybe that trade isn't so great.
If the Sixers are stupid enough to put Embiid on the market, Danny better be the first in line to make an offer. 

The Sixers ran Embiid into the ground (only missed 4 of their first 58 games).  65 games a season is plenty for Embiid and it will easily get the Sixers into the playoffs.  Kawhi has only played more than 66 games twice in his 8 seasons.  Don't see anyone suggesting he be put on the trade block.
Kawhi also has never had a fit problem with another potential superstar on his roster either.  If the Sixers think that Embiid and Simmons are fine together, then they don't need to move either one, but if they are ultimately going to have to decide between Embiid and Simmons, then they should probably just make that move this summer.  It is in that scenario that I'm talking about perhaps moving on from Embiid as opposed to Simmons.

Simmons is the fit problem, not Embiid.  Simmons can't shoot. Kawhi is a great shooter.
Plenty of great players had shooting concerns.  Heck Giannis is a very bad shooter and yet the team was built around him and was the best team in basketball in the regular season.  Simmons is 6'10" and is almost impossible to guard in the paint, yet he can't play in the paint because of Embiid.  If the Sixers built their team around Simmons, much like the Bucks have with Giannis, I think they would be just fine and a real title contender year in and year out.  And let's be clear, there is no way I come anywhere close to bringing this up if Embiid didn't have significant health issues year after year.  He just can't stay on the court.

Let me know when Simmons has attempted more than, say, 1-2 career 3 pointers.  Or when Simmons is a DPOY frontrunner. 

Or let me know when Giannis scores 1 point in a playoff game.  Or when his team is better with him off the floor for the majority of a playoff series.

1 point in a playoff game, you're comparing a scorer to distributor.  Magic Johnson had a playoff game with 2 points, and prime Jason Kidd has had several low scoring games: 2, 3, 0.  Like those guys, you can have a team built around you, be a championship contender, and not be a scorer, so Simmons has hope there.  And maybe never a DPOY front runner, but he'll probably have a few All-D selections too, got 5 first place votes last year.

He was also a 21 year old rookie. 

Giannis in his first playoffs (14-15 season) had games of 5 and 6 points scored.   In the 6 games, he only had 1 game with more than 12 points scored and took a single 3 point shot in the 6 games.  Giannis was 21 in his 2nd year that season.

Simmons obviously had a bad game where he wasn't very aggressive and scored just 1 point going 0-4 from the field.  He did manage 7 assists and 5 rebounds in the game though, so he was still doing much of what he does.  Simmons scored at least 16 points in each of the other 4 games in the Boston series.  He was never below 14 points in the first round.  So in the 10 playoff games Simmons played as a rookie he had one terrible scoring game, but was pretty much his usual self in the other 9.  Not sure why that 1 game should define him when the other 9 are a much larger sample size.

Just for the record, Jaylen Brown had a playoff game where he played over 26 minutes and didn't score a single point his rookie year (he had other games where he didn't score but didn't play nearly as much in those).  Tatum played just under 30 minutes and scored just 4 points in a playoff game last year as well.  I just find this notion that a young guy is defined by one bad playoff game as quite strange.

I don't see a lot of similarity between young Giannis, a young talent so raw he almost went outside the lottery and is now likely the MVP, and "generational #1 pick" and ROY in maybe the toughest race ever, Ben Simmons.  That's a comp that will lead you to make bad predictions.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #517 on: April 19, 2019, 04:44:08 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

He was also a 21 year old rookie. 

Giannis in his first playoffs (14-15 season) had games of 5 and 6 points scored.   In the 6 games, he only had 1 game with more than 12 points scored and took a single 3 point shot in the 6 games.  Giannis was 21 in his 2nd year that season.

Simmons obviously had a bad game where he wasn't very aggressive and scored just 1 point going 0-4 from the field.  He did manage 7 assists and 5 rebounds in the game though, so he was still doing much of what he does.  Simmons scored at least 16 points in each of the other 4 games in the Boston series.  He was never below 14 points in the first round.  So in the 10 playoff games Simmons played as a rookie he had one terrible scoring game, but was pretty much his usual self in the other 9.  Not sure why that 1 game should define him when the other 9 are a much larger sample size.

Just for the record, Jaylen Brown had a playoff game where he played over 26 minutes and didn't score a single point his rookie year (he had other games where he didn't score but didn't play nearly as much in those).  Tatum played just under 30 minutes and scored just 4 points in a playoff game last year as well.  I just find this notion that a young guy is defined by one bad playoff game as quite strange.

I don't see a lot of similarity between young Giannis, a young talent so raw he almost went outside the lottery and is now likely the MVP, and "generational #1 pick" and ROY in maybe the toughest race ever, Ben Simmons.  That's a comp that will lead you to make bad predictions.
Maybe, maybe not.  Giannis wasn't a rookie.  He was a 2nd year player.  Sure he was raw, but he also hasn't ever been a good shooter and as you say is the likely MVP with that terrible shot.

You're the one that seems to ignore plenty of examples, including Magic Johnson in the 83 playoffs playing 48 minutes and scoring 2 points in a playoff game.  Magic was 23 and in his 4th year at the time and had already won multiple championships.

Again this notion that a 21 year old rookie is defined by 1 bad game is absolutely astonishing, especially when you consider the other 9 playoff games he had he didn't score less than 14 points in any of them.  Why aren't those 9 games the better gauge of Simmons?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #518 on: April 19, 2019, 06:30:14 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

I’m honestly not sure what point you are trying to make here? People in this thread were saying they could consider trading him cause he keeps missing time. He is missing time and playoff games now. What’s the part you object to?
You raised the baseless speculation of Embiid having degenerative arthritis which is a long-term concern when he's actually been reported as having knee tendonitis which is not a long-term concern assuming proper treatment.  There's no reason to doubt the knee tendonitis diagnosis since knee soreness, pain, wearing a brace, etc are consistent with knee tendonitis. 

« Reply #519 on: April 19, 2019, 06:50:05 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

You raised the baseless speculation of Embiid having degenerative arthritis which is a long-term concern when he's actually been reported as having knee tendonitis which is not a long-term concern assuming proper treatment.  There's no reason to doubt the knee tendonitis diagnosis since knee soreness, pain, wearing a brace, etc are consistent with knee tendonitis.

Hmm, I personally don’t really care if his knee is arthritis, tendinitis or something else. He obviously has real issues staying healthy. You do add in the fact that the 76ers have been really shady with the health of their players for years and it all adds up to being troublesome. If it is important to you feel free to get real hung up on his diagnosis from the front office, in the meantime he is now officially doubtful for game 4 tomorrow

« Reply #520 on: April 19, 2019, 07:01:26 PM »

Offline Briantir

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 14
Let's see how the Magic adjust to the greatness of Kawhi Leonard.

« Reply #521 on: April 19, 2019, 07:43:23 PM »

Offline Briantir

• Jrue Holiday
Dam Pascal Siakam is really Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.ing good...

« Reply #522 on: April 19, 2019, 07:52:50 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
I can’t stand Lowry. What a flopping Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline....

« Reply #523 on: April 19, 2019, 07:53:28 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
magic hanging tough for first half at least

« Reply #524 on: April 19, 2019, 07:55:51 PM »

Offline Briantir

• Jrue Holiday
I can’t stand Lowry. What a flopping ****...

Lol what are you talking about the number 1 Flopper in the League is on the Celtics Marcus Smart.