Poll

Would it be an Epic Failure

Yes.
11 (19.3%)
No. Still think he can get it done.
46 (80.7%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Author Topic: Poll: If DA can't Land AD, Epic Failure  (Read 11027 times)

Re: Poll: If DA can't Land AD, Epic Failure
« Reply #60 on: May 22, 2019, 07:07:53 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
If we are going to get Davis, I prefer Davis without Kyrie.

I think we can put together a better team without Kyrie.

How? Unless you think that the team is better without Kyrie (which I think has been discussed in enough threads already), I don't see any possible moves that would leave us better than keeping Kyrie

The question is which combination is more likely to make Davis resign with us if we make the trade?

The best possible case for all involved is if Kyrie stayed, created good chemistry with Davis, the coach and his other teammates and became a main reason he stayed.

The worst possible case for all involved is if Kyrie stayed, created poor chemistry with Davis, the coach and his other teammates and became a main reason he left.

Which is more likely? I think its reasonable to think its a 50/50 proposition at best it works out.

Any scenario where re-sign Kyrie could never be 'worst case.' If we re-sign him, we maintain a very valuable asset that we can use to trade down the road if things don't work out. If he walks, we are unable to sign anybody else and are just the team minus Kyrie. I get that some people would rather have a different perennial All-Star in his prime signed long-term on the team, but that is not the case and it's not going to change.

I should also note that just because we currently have two worse max FAs signed does not mean we shouldn't sign Kyrie. He is our best player and our most valuable asset; we should be doing everything in our power to re-sign him and I am sure Danny is doing just that.

« Reply #61 on: May 22, 2019, 07:17:29 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
Epic failure is if Irving walks you trade for Davis then he walks.

Warriors if they stay as is and healthy still beats the C's with Irving and Davis. They have a better system, more guys that fit together, and better top end players. I don't understand why people think Davis is the answer. He makes things better but if he leaves we are screwed. I'd buy low or not at all.

I get your point, but I also don't think that a Tatum/Brown/Horford/Hayward/Smart core gets us anywhere near a title. I think at least most of us agree that a team needs top-end talent to win titles in today's NBA, and that group has none of that.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #62 on: May 22, 2019, 07:25:16 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

How? Unless you think that the team is better without Kyrie (which I think has been discussed in enough threads already), I don't see any possible moves that would leave us better than keeping Kyrie

If the 2017-2018 Celtics playoff squad had Davis

how far do you think they would have went?

They might have beaten Lebron, but they would have been swept by the Warriors

And in case you missed it, I was asking how the team would be better without Kyrie if we added AD. Whether or not we would have made it out of last season's unbelievably weak East isn't relevant

disagree

Smart, Brown, Rozier have historically made Thompson and Curry look like "human" on the court

Not stating that, such team would have won it all...but a sweep? no way

« Reply #63 on: May 22, 2019, 08:11:17 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

If the 2017-2018 Celtics playoff squad had Davis

how far do you think they would have went?

They might have beaten Lebron, but they would have been swept by the Warriors

And in case you missed it, I was asking how the team would be better without Kyrie if we added AD. Whether or not we would have made it out of last season's unbelievably weak East isn't relevant

disagree

Smart, Brown, Rozier have historically made Thompson and Curry look like "human" on the court

Not stating that, such team would have won it all...but a sweep? no way

LeBron has historically given them fits, too, but they got swept with only Game 1 being close. While thinking that last year's team plus AD could have put up more of a fight and beat the Warriors in at least one game, there's no evidence to support it

And that's not a shot against AD or last year's team, but the Warriors really are THAT good. Especially in the playoffs

And, again, this is completely irrelevant to how the team would be better without Kyrie than with him
I'm bitter.

« Reply #64 on: May 22, 2019, 08:32:21 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Just a guess here but if I were you I would expect Chris22's normal reply of short players don't win championships

...even if we know they do. Heck, Kyrie already did.

« Reply #65 on: May 22, 2019, 08:51:44 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Yeah I agree with PhoSita the actual worst case is Kyrie only asks for a 1 + 1 and we trade for a lot for Davis to secure him doing so. Then they both bounce after one year where it doesn't mesh again.

Going all in around Kyrie/AD for a 4 year window of contending or going young with the Jays and picks is great, getting neither? Ouch.

« Reply #66 on: May 22, 2019, 08:57:44 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Yeah I agree with PhoSita the actual worst case is Kyrie only asks for a 1 + 1 and we trade for a lot for Davis to secure him doing so. Then they both bounce after one year where it doesn't mesh again.

Going all in around Kyrie/AD for a 4 year window of contending or going young with the Jays and picks is great, getting neither? Ouch.

At best if you want both Irving and Davis....this is likely the scenerio.  With Tatum, Brown and Smart going the other way.  Without needing to giveup any of the picks. 

But also, no commitment by AD to sign an extension

« Reply #67 on: May 22, 2019, 09:19:42 PM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
i don't understand how people are just ignoring the fact that ad wants to be in la or nyc.   why risk it for a guy who will leave in a year?  toronto didnt give up near the type package you guys are talking about from the celts.  if danny trades the future for one year of ad,  he will be out of a job soon.

« Reply #68 on: May 22, 2019, 09:30:18 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
i don't understand how people are just ignoring the fact that ad wants to be in la or nyc.   why risk it for a guy who will leave in a year?  toronto didnt give up near the type package you guys are talking about from the celts.  if danny trades the future for one year of ad,  he will be out of a job soon.

because folks are getting impatient

But I do agree.  Such a deal without AD assurance could end up disastrous

« Reply #69 on: May 22, 2019, 09:31:27 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

I’ve long thought this was worst case, and probably still do. But is it even that bad? If we pair the two of them with Al and Gordon, the only team capable of beating us is the Warriors (if they even stick together).

If we win a title and they leave, worth it. If we don’t and they leave, we still have a ton of cap space (Hayward is the only big contract, and maybe Smart or Brown’s cap hold). We would have flexibility to reassemble very quickly.

I still think it’s worth the risk.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #70 on: May 22, 2019, 09:38:24 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
If AD is traded here and he waives his trade kicker, I would expect, as long as the team has a great 2019-20, he would re-sign. If he is traded here but doesn't waive that trade kicker, even if the Celtics have a great 2019-20, I would be very, very concerned of his leaving.

« Reply #71 on: May 22, 2019, 10:16:51 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Considering he passed on Paul George, Kawhi Leonard and Jimmy Butler so that he could keep all his chips for Davis ... yes, it would be a failure.

« Reply #72 on: May 22, 2019, 10:36:59 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Considering he passed on Paul George, Kawhi Leonard and Jimmy Butler so that he could keep all his chips for Davis ... yes, it would be a failure.

TP.

Davis is the end game.

I have a feeling once Davis comes here, we will be changing our tune.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #73 on: May 22, 2019, 11:43:26 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
Some have said Kyrie was/is a headcase who wrecked this season. If AD isn't the same thing, he certainly gave a good impression of it this year in NO. His behavior was an embarrassment to sportsmanship.

I think hitching your wagon to those 2 is a very risky proposition, one that Celtics everywhere could regret if Tatum and Brown become the players many of us believe they will.

« Reply #74 on: May 23, 2019, 12:21:38 AM »

RazzelnoDazzel

Like for weeks I’ve been playing with the trade machine doing different combinations. I’ve had Kyrie, I’ve traded Kyrie, I’ve had Hayward, I’ve traded Hayward and it’s just a headache what to do with this teams. It’s such a headache to I just got to the point in saying screw it just keep the young guys and run it back. I look at that roster;

Rozier
Smart
Brown/Hayward
Tatum
Horford

And just say....man this roster is missing something, I don’t like Tatum playing PF, no 7fter, and brown or Hayward coming off the bench just “looks funny”.

It all boils down to this, the team in 2017 when Kyrie and Hayward we’re gone I freaking loved. Like my Celtic pride was so dang strong it’s not even funny. Although I loved that team the ONLY HOLE WE HAD WAS HORFORD NEEDED SOMEONE NEXT TO HIM. The absolute perfect player to fit that Roster was Davis. With all that being said, Davis is literally our missing piece and one ofBrown,Smart, or Hayward unfortunately has to go because Brown or Hayward coming off the bench just doesn’t seem right for whatever reason. I’m also not comfortable with Smart as the starting PG. His playmaking is “OK” but I don’t feel like it’s championship caliber. Idk what we are going to do I really and truly don’t, but Davis.... is a must!

My vote for who needs to go is Tatum and Hayward. Once they are gone the roster will look less crowded. I hate kicking Hayward to the curb because I know he will be better next year but I think this an odd man out type of situation.